IGNORED

Burns & Reid

ORANGE500

Fwiw, I don't think Reid has the stamina or strength at the moment. Very good technically and can open up the channels with intelligent passes, but prone to fading out of the game. Played well against Forest but less so against the Dons. At Brum when he came on for the final 15 or 20 he made no impact was easily brushed off the ball. Freeman was our best player that day. I think he should, along with Burns, be on the bench and be given some decent playing time, but I wouldn't start with him. It's Freeman for me despite his dip in form. Other teams see him as a threat. Against Hull I noticed they were closing him down with 4 players at times.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting, I wonder if those assist stats can be found. I reckon it was more than 5 from open play

I saw him perform absolutely fantastically at times last season, Yeovil away stands out, he was brilliant.

He's got the quality in my opinion and his delivery vs Hull looked to be getting back to where it should be. It'll break for him soon I'm sure.

Just watched all of Flint's and Wilb's goals and Freeman had 5 assists of theirs from set pieces. The thing with Freeman is that he's always busy, he's always running around and sometimes people can mistake his constant movement for good play. I don't think Reid should have ever been dropped. The kid has talent and I hope that people don't write him off from seeing him play deeper than he should be playing.

If Reid did play, I'd still like to have Freeman starting alongside him and not his replacement. Even when MP is back from suspension! 

I quite like the idea of Reid and Freeman as the influential players along with Smith who does the dirty work. Think it can work well if it's given the chance to!

We aren't exactly pulling up any trees anyway...

29 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It's a tricky one because Bobby is a very good talent and has the attributes to be a good player but he often goes missing in games especially in the second half! I think it's only fair though to give him another chance, especially with Freeman's poor form. 

As for Burns, I think we're well covered in that area and he is right down the pecking order. He needs to either go out on loan or provide wonders in training. 

Completely agree with this point and have posted similar on another thread before.

I'd still pick an out of form Freeman over Reid but with limited options now in midfield, why not play both?

2 minutes ago, O'Garlandinho said:

p

Completely agree with this point and have posted similar on another thread before.

I'd still pick an out of form Freeman over Reid but with limited options now in midfield, why not play both?

As long as the ball is on the ground, yes why not. But those two plus Smith aren't going to win much in the air! 

8 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

I really hope they put Reid, Burns and Bryan on the field.

We then get the novelty of reading threads ripping into new players. 

Wilbraham, Pack, Freeman and Flint bashing threads are all a bit stale. Even the shelf life for Agard has passed within three games.

What we really need is turnover to keep the moaning fresh and original.

Or failing that, we could always just get behind the team we love and stuff who starts the game.

I disagree slightly with only one thing you have written,

the moaning on these three has started before they get on the pitch, and in the case of two of them at least, it certainly cant be based on what they have shown so far this season when they have been on it.

11 hours ago, KingLear said:

Bottom line is Reid has been the most exciting player I've seen (bar Kodjia) and a rare bright spark this season so far, looked like he was going to create something every time he had the ball and for me should be pretty disappointed he lost his place.

On current form should definitley be given a run out.

You never know... you might get your wish this Saturday...... ;)

10 hours ago, djb6162 said:

This is what pezo said about reid on a previous freeman and jet thread.

in which he suggested Jet would have prevented us from witnessing some great cameos from Bobby had jet still been with us. A comment i agree with by the way, nothing against Jet by the way.

However, now  7 weeks on and having no further opportunities, bobby isnt good enough and doesnt work hard enough.

As for pezo if he talks about the sports bar , the architects ability to set a spec for the new stand, academy players, comparing hitler to bristol rovers fans.... Reid and burns, Take your pick, most of  what he posts is attention seeking imo.

his memory is also letting him down these days.

I think he would have filled in nicely for Freeman in his absence - we would have missed those fantastic performances from Reid and by now I think he would be assuming the same position he is in at QPR.

For him QPR represent a team with a better opportunity to get to the prem and a club willing to give him more money - so bench here or bench there.

This maybe dull but we need to focus on defending - going forward is not our problem.

Don't get me wrong I like Bobby but IMO the current underperforming Freeman is a better option than Bobby and if Bobby wants to play in the first team he must try harder to steak a claim and make himself a player that Cotts needs.

I think we all get carried away with underperformance when it happens and are prone to knee jerk reactions, we held players like Freeman quite highly and he was pivotal last season - this season he is not performing so well (against better opposition) and its noticeable, so the question is - is he adding nothing or is he adding less (overall) - IMO he is adding less. then the question is is that less better than others can offer - and IMO yes he is still better overall than what someone like Bobby or Cox can give.

I will drop you a PM on the other stuff as in general I have not idea what your referring to.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Assuming that Baker is fit, then I would put money on Moore replacing Pack. And no place in the starting eleven for Reid and Burns not on the bench.

Not what I would do but 99.9% what Cotterill will do.

Is Moore a CM?

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Is Moore a CM?

No, he's not.

Our only central midfielder who is not in the side at present is Reid and he's not a defensive midfielder, so if he comes in it would most logically be for Freeman.

Pack's replacement really has to be a more defensive minded player than us going with Reid and Freeman in a midfield 3, so either Moore is going to asked to play there, Ayling is, or maybe Bennett or (unlikely) even Waggy does, I guess.

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No, he's not.

Our only central midfielder who is not in the side at present is Reid and he's not a defensive midfielder, so if he comes in it would most logically be for Freeman.

Pack's replacement really has to be a more defensive minded player than us going with Reid and Freeman in a midfield 3, so either Moore is going to asked to play there, Ayling is, or maybe Bennett or (unlikely) even Waggy does, I guess.

Which is exactly the point I have been making, embarrassing lack of midfield options.

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Drop Pack but not Freeman? That to me makes no sense whatsoever. Pack and Smith are fine. Could we improve on them with transfers? Yes but as of now we have no cover for them. 

Freeman on the other hand plays 90 minutes most matches and does nothing for us on the goal scoring side of the pitch. We have Cox and Reid who could both play that spot and yet neither can get more than 10 minutes at a time. We have the ability to drop Freeman and not be worse off talent wise. He's the real baffling one to me as SC has dropped others this season who consistently under performed in Bryan and Williams. Del came back in because of injury to Baker then took his chance at WB. So why Freeman continues to start is beyond me. 

All this talk of a small squad but we don't rotate even with what we've got. Why can't Wilbs start on the odd match? Why can't Joe get a half hour to show again especially down 2 or 3? Same with Bobby. Why isn't Liam Moore coming on and pushing Ayling wide for 20 minutes? Sure our options are limited but they aren't non existent. 

Also why can't Burns get a start above or at least as substitution for Agard, the guy tries hard but as a defender I'd much prefer against Agard than Burns' I think for the most Agard has contributed defensively but he's striker. burns and Kodjia must be given a chance.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Which is exactly the point I have been making, embarrassing lack of midfield options.

More like an embarring lack of quality options across the squad, someon somewhere knows why and the buck falls fir,oh at their feet.

if this was a financial company and not a football club, we'd no way enter this market (league) with the lack of dudilligence neeeded to comfortably survive, something is definitely not right between those signing the checks and those identifying the players.

After building such fantastic momentum last season this club is back to square one, shiny new stadium or not something's afoot.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Don't get me wrong I like Bobby but IMO the current underperforming Freeman is a better option than Bobby and if Bobby wants to play in the first team he must try harder to steak a claim and make himself a player that Cotts needs.

I think we all get carried away with underperformance when it happens and are prone to knee jerk reactions, we held players like Freeman quite highly and he was pivotal last season - this season he is not performing so well (against better opposition) and its noticeable, so the question is - is he adding nothing or is he adding less (overall) - IMO he is adding less. then the question is is that less better than others can offer - and IMO yes he is still better overall than what someone like Bobby or Cox can give.

I will drop you a PM on the other stuff as in general I have not idea what your referring to.

I agree with this, and for other posters who feel strongly that Bobby should replace Freeman, fair enough, but don't forget it's no more than just your opinion. Mine is that although Bobby has undoubtedly provided exciting moments, and there is a case to be made for his inclusion, it is very debatable whether he has shown enough over extended periods in matches to unseat an even underpar Freeman. For me he hasn't. Having said that there is a midfield place up for grabs on Saturday and it seems to me very likely he will get his chance, if not necessarily instead of Luke. If so, good luck to Bobby, the onus will be on him to put in a persuasive 90 minute performance showing stamina and fight alongside his undoubted talent.

It's not his talent that's in doubt, it's his overall contribution.

It's no good people saying BR is an attacking midfielder and therefore constantly harrying the opposition, or playing more defensively, when they have possession is not his game; it has to be part of his game if he's ever going to claim a regular place. He's old enough now that his overall performance should attract equally dispassionate scrutiny to that given by his admirers to Freeman.

Especially when at 23 Luke is just one year older.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree with this, and for other posters who feel strongly that Bobby should replace Freeman, fair enough, but don't forget it's no more than just your opinion. Mine is that although Bobby has undoubtedly provided exciting moments, and there is a case to be made for his inclusion, it is very debatable whether he has shown enough over extended periods in matches to unseat an even underpar Freeman. For me he hasn't. Having said that there is a midfield place up for grabs on Saturday and it seems to me very likely he will get his chance, if not necessarily instead of Luke. If so, good luck to Bobby, the onus will be on him to put in a persuasive 90 minute performance showing stamina and fight alongside his undoubted talent.

It's no good people saying BR is an attacking midfielder and therefore constantly harrying the opposition, or playing more defensively, when they have possession is not his game; it has to be part of his game if he's ever going to claim a regular place. He's old enough now that his overall performance should attract equally dispassionate scrutiny to that given by his admirers to Freeman.

As always Nb I find myself agreeing with you in the whole, however that year difference you refer to is not just a year but constant seasons of playing competitive professional football, something Bobby despite loan periods has lacked,he also does t have the benefit of playing in that first 11 in his favoured position week in week out.

For all the class LF has shown, it has been noticeably at a lower level, there's something that tells me that BR, given chance which he won't) can perform at championship level and shine, something LF so far hasn't done. That's not to say that I'm writing LF off, far from it, it's just that with a change in formation and managerial personnel there could well be room for both players to shine, again a doubtful scenario and to make it clear not one I'm advocating, just yet at least.

My overriding feeling is that BR has the ability to succeed however where and when are more the question I'd be asking myself if I were the player.

Peronally from what I've seen, Bobby has a hell of an engine, great vision and more than a goal or two up his sleeve, put him into a strong midfield with protection and the boy will shine, my fear is obvious, we simply do not play that way.

im not advocating a managerial change just yet but I do think midfield is key, what better place to start looking that right under your nose.

57 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The danger with all these discussions is that they end up evolving into a broader debate and the original thrust tends to be lost.

Noggers this is not really about Reid replacing Freeman, that is how the thread has started to develop i grant you that.

its a much broader conversation than that..imo.

its about the fact that Bobby and the OP mentioned  others getting a chance to show we as a team can offer something different.

I think Blackburn will absolutely have us all worked out for Saturday...its not hard to predict the starting 11 or the system.

As i said earlier, its not Bobby replacing Luke, its the fact that Bobby did nothing to warrant losing his shirt some weeks ago in the first place, when Luke was suspended.

That does nothing to lift Bobby in training or elsewhere, if actually it will eventually mean or lead to nothing changing... managing players is all about motivation, remove that and you have a double edged problem.

A toothless and demoralized bench lacking in confidence and a first team edging closer to complacency as each week passes.

Its not always about the physical numbers, Chelsea showed in the week that they could leave their strike force out entirely to get a result and shake up the formation and the player in question at the same time.

So back to the point.....in the meantime Bobby and others who have made cameo appearances this year including Wes and Callum etc are either now freezing their nadgers off in the stands or at best sat on the bench listening to the gaffa screaming week in week out.

they then jump on a bus once a fortnight and travel a few hundred miles, to listen to the same or sit in someone else's stand freezing their proverbial's off.

its simply not sustainable or a clever use of assets.

The bench should be stronger if the gaffa is not confident with what he has there, and the boys above should be allowed to play elsewhere, or bloody use them for pity sake.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

33 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

As always Nb I find myself agreeing with you in the whole, however that year difference you refer to is not just a year but constant seasons of playing competitive professional football, something Bobby despite loan periods has lacked,he also does t have the benefit of playing in that first 11 in his favoured position week in week out.

For all the class LF has shown, it has been noticeably at a lower level, there's something that tells me that BR, given chance which he won't) can perform at championship level and shine, something LF so far hasn't done. That's not to say that I'm writing LF off, far from it, it's just that with a change in formation and managerial personnel there could well be room for both players to shine, again a doubtful scenario and to make it clear not one I'm advocating, just yet at least.

My overriding feeling is that BR has the ability to succeed however where and when are more the question I'd be asking myself if I were the player.

Peronally from what I've seen, Bobby has a hell of an engine, great vision and more than a goal or two up his sleeve, put him into a strong midfield with protection and the boy will shine, my fear is obvious, we simply do not play that way.

im not advocating a managerial change just yet but I do think midfield is key, what better place to start looking that right under your nose.

Fair enough YS, I respect your opinion. I would disagree though that Bobby has 'one hell of an engine'. He has faded, or 'gone missing' at times every time I've seen him, and that to me is his major drawback. Plus his wild shooting, but that's more of a minor irritation, for him as well as us fans I suspect.

His last performances before going on loan to Plymouth had convinced me he wouldn't make it at City. He was well below the standard required even in div. 3. He does seem to have done well at Plymouth in the league below and came back a better, more experienced and more confident player.

Despite being blessed with skill and vision there's still something missing and to me it's the ability to compete consistently - and I know he hasn't had extended runs in the team - I'm talking about over 90 minutes.

I wouldn't baulk from starting him, but at the back of my mind would be the likelihood he would have to be subbed after 60-70 mins. Whether he will ever do enough in that period to justify regular starts I really don't know. If 2 astute passes lead to us being 2-0 up, then obviously he's worth a place but at this level it's also clear you need 11 players who can sustain a high standard of athletic performance for the duration of the game, with Jet's demise at City being a prime example that however blessed the player if he's not physically up to the rigours required he'll eventually be phased out.

To me this argument finishes if Bobby puts in just one convincing 90 minute performance. If he then gets the opportunity but doesn't do it again in the next match then it's down to determination, attitude and consistency rather than stamina, and that's a different problem.

As I say, I don't believe Bobby's ability is in doubt. In fact with Jet gone he is probably our best bet currently to deliver that decisive through ball to Kodjia, but with no guarantee of this happening regularly ( or Kodjia or ANO taking those chances) then without fulfilling all the other basic requirements and responsibilities of the modern all action midfield player Cotts. may well be minded that simply isn't enough.

I think Bobby will very likely start on Saturday so, once again, the ball is very much in his court. Good luck to him.

13 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

The danger with all these discussions is that they end up evolving into a broader debate and the original thrust tends to be lost.

Noggers this is not really about Reid replacing Freeman, that is how the thread has started to develop i grant you that.

its a much broader conversation than that..imo.

its about the fact that Bobby and the OP mentioned  others getting a chance to show we as a team can offer something different.

I think Blackburn will absolutely have us all worked out for Saturday...its not hard to predict the starting 11 or the system.

As i said earlier, its not Bobby replacing Luke, its the fact that Bobby did nothing to warrant losing his shirt some weeks ago in the first place, when Luke was suspended.

That does nothing to lift Bobby in training or elsewhere, if actually it will eventually mean or lead to nothing changing... managing players is all about motivation, remove that and you have a double edged problem.

A toothless and demoralized bench lacking in confidence and a first team edging closer to complacency as each week passes.

Its not always about the physical numbers, Chelsea showed in the week that they could leave their strike force out entirely to get a result and shake up the formation and the player in question at the same time.

So back to the point.....in the meantime Bobby and others who have made cameo appearances this year including Wes and Callum etc are either now freezing their nadgers off in the stands or at best sat on the bench listening to the gaffa screaming week in week out.

they then jump on a bus once a fortnight and travel a few hundred miles, to listen to the same or sit in someone else's stand freezing their proverbial's off.

its simply not sustainable or a clever use of assets.

The bench should be stronger if the gaffa is not confident with what he has there, and the boys above should be allowed to play elsewhere, or bloody use them for pity sake.

I agree it is not in the club's best interests to give so few opportunities to Bryan, Reid and Burns. The problem is City are always either battliing relegation or going for promotion so it's hard for a young player to make his mark. If they do, and then appear to then burn out - like Joe - the manager is open to accusations of being the cause. All 3 should be getting regular boosts by getting a reasonable time on the pitch imo., and Cotts. now traditional reluctance to make subs. ( or make them with insufficient time to make an impact) is a disappointing aspect of his management.

Unfortunately it was the right decision to drop Joe. Hopefuly just recharging his batteries and confidence though, and I'd be really disappointed if he doesn't reclaim a place soon.

I think you know my opinion of Wes. Suffice to say if Kodjia's out I'd be tempted to start him, or certainly plan give him half an hour if Wilbs. gets the nod instead. If we want to replicate Kodjia's ability to run at the opposition at pace through the middle, Wes is the man imo.

I don't know much about Robinson, and I'm less concerned about him, but from the outside it would appear to be simply a case that he hasn't impressed enough in training to dislodge anyone.

We obviously disagree fundamentally about Bobby Reid, but despite my reservations i have little doubt regarding his actual ability, and am always open to revising my opinion if I see him putting in convincing all round performances whenever he's given the chance.

FWIW I'd like to see several changes of personnel for Saturday - the Rotherham performance was jaded and very few of that team could complain if replaced and a few, if generally knackered, out of form, or carrying injuries. might even welcome a break.

2 hours ago, Super said:

No argument from me.

Along with trying to operate with just one senior keeper this is the area where we are lightest in numbers.

As I posted yesterday Monsieur Kodjia apart, we might dispute the quality but up front we have Kodjia, Agard, Wilbraham, Cox, Burns and Robinson all to choose from, in midfield there is simply no like for like option to replace either Smith or Pack at all.

A nonsense.

16 hours ago, Pezo said:

Well fountain of all that is right what was i supposed to think before i wrote?

You have clearly thought and articulated your point in your post, its got all the quality arguments required of a primary school debate club.

The way this is supposed to work is you tell me what makes them better than what we have in the first team and I will say why I think they are not.

This is a forum for discussion not just dismissal.

I'll keep it brief. Have you heard of progression? It's what youngsters do when learning their trade. Prime example was JB and his loan spell away followed by a great season before this one.

Jamie Vardy was released by S Wed at 16 and took 4 years to break into the first team of Stocksbridge Park Steels. It took another 4 years before he made a start in the football league (with Fleetwood). 

So... if it took Vardy so long to become an established player why do you state that Reid and Burns  ' would have done it 2 year ago ' (to quote you). You seem intent on writing off Reid at what 22? and Burns at 20?

If you do not see anything in them then fine but IMHO I've seen enough to suggest that both can make it and would be better options right now to some of the dross performances I'm seeing most weeks. 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I'll keep it brief. Have you heard of progression? It's what youngsters do when learning their trade. Prime example was JB and his loan spell away followed by a great season before this one.

Jamie Vardy was released by S Wed at 16 and took 4 years to break into the first team of Stocksbridge Park Steels. It took another 4 years before he made a start in the football league (with Fleetwood). 

So... if it took Vardy so long to become an established player why do you state that Reid and Burns  ' would have done it 2 year ago ' (to quote you). You seem intent on writing off Reid at what 22? and Burns at 20?

If you do not see anything in them then fine but IMHO I've seen enough to suggest that both can make it and would be better options right now to some of the dross performances I'm seeing most weeks. 

Thanks, with JB we didn't really have another option it was a bit of a risk and it worked out well although bids from Everton seem to have disappeared from rumour.

Looking at Vardy - loads of players are releases at 16, this one took it as a kick up the arse to knuckle down and has done very well this season but he did have to leave. Its not like he would have got into the Leister team 6 years ago - he scored 4 in 26 in his first season 4 years ago and if that was us there would be people on here demanding he be dropped. For every Vardy there are thousands of others that don't come back into the league let alone get to the prem - he is an exception that's also been lucky not a rule.

I think if Burns and Reid were going to break into the first team here they would have done it 2 years ago - the average age for breaking into a first team is about 18 to 20 (ok maybe being a bit harsh on Burns). They maybe better off elsewhere but don't get me wrong I don't think Bristol City would be better off without them.

I think your last line is key - I do see something in them and I'm sure they will be first team professionals making a hell of a wage wherever they go but you think they are better options - I don't. you see dross performances - I don't, if you think this is dross what did you think of SOD? I see lesser performances than my expectations but still better than what Bobby or Burns can achieve IMO.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Thanks, with JB we didn't really have another option it was a bit of a risk and it worked out well although bids from Everton seem to have disappeared from rumour.

Looking at Vardy - loads of players are releases at 16, this one took it as a kick up the arse to knuckle down and has done very well this season but he did have to leave. Its not like he would have got into the Leister team 6 years ago - he scored 4 in 26 in his first season 4 years ago and if that was us there would be people on here demanding he be dropped. For every Vardy there are thousands of others that don't come back into the league let alone get to the prem - he is an exception that's also been lucky not a rule.

I think if Burns and Reid were going to break into the first team here they would have done it 2 years ago - the average age for breaking into a first team is about 18 to 20 (ok maybe being a bit harsh on Burns). They maybe better off elsewhere but don't get me wrong I don't think Bristol City would be better off without them.

I think your last line is key - I do see something in them and I'm sure they will be first team professionals making a hell of a wage wherever they go but you think they are better options - I don't. you see dross performances - I don't, if you think this is dross what did you think of SOD? I see lesser performances than my expectations but still better than what Bobby or Burns can achieve IMO.

I agree that for every Vardy / Ian Wright there will be a Michael Owen / Wayne Rooney. It just proves that players for whatever reason develop at different rates, hence my reason to suggest that writing off BR/WB because they didn't command a settled place in the team when only 20 and 18 respectively is way too harsh.

Football under SOD was worse than dross however I was talking or certain players currently turning in dross performances on a regular basis. For me the worst offender is Freeman and I think BR did more against Leeds and Boro than he has done all season. Why he is so out of form I don't know but a period on the sidelines is needed. Cotts did it to JB which I agree was the correct decision so why the reluctance with LF? Incidentally I think JB has been found wanting because the full backs are so much better at this level. With hard work I'm sure he'll come good again.

The other for me is Wilbs who is now starting on the bench (correct decision imho). Agard does not appear to be the answer so why not give Wes or Cox a start? If Kodjia needs a rest I would start with that combo on Sat. BR in for LK. LA in midfield for Pack and Moore right of the back 3. The main thing I would like to see Cotts do is to play players that are in form and replace those that aren't. If he doesn't do that then I'd like to know when he expects players to re-find past form? 

Archived