IGNORED

Blame Cotts or the Board?

Lordofthebling

Ultimately it has to be who is responsible for recruitment, if we did not have a feasible strategy as to signings wage structure, fees paid then it has to be the Boards. It seemed to me we only made the bids of £9 m for players that would never come here as a PR stunt, to say to the fans 'well at least we tried' In a way I do thing the buck ends with the owner, there was not enough focus on the football club, more on the Stadium, Bristol Rugby  Catering, Sport Bra and the like. 

Whatever though that was one massive Amateurish Cock Up, and I am afraid that must be the Boards responsibility, they decide on wage structures and fee's the Manager does not. This Sport Bristol model is sticking in my craw, not impressed at all, back to basics please and start running this Football Club like it means something to someone. 

13 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Ultimately it has to be who is responsible for recruitment, if we did not have a feasible strategy as to signings wage structure, fees paid then it has to be the Boards. It seemed to me we only made the bids of £9 m for players that would never come here as a PR stunt, to say to the fans 'well at least we tried' In a way I do thing the buck ends with the owner, there was not enough focus on the football club, more on the Stadium, Bristol Rugby  Catering, Sport Bra and the like. 

Whatever though that was one massive Amateurish Cock Up, and I am afraid that must be the Boards responsibility, they decide on wage structures and fee's the Manager does not. This Sport Bristol model is sticking in my craw, not impressed at all, back to basics please and start running this Football Club like it means something to someone. 

PR stunt - exactly what I was questioning...

Cotts did seem frustrated, and I have been wondering ever since the summer whether he was frustrated at not getting his targets, or the players we were going for were not really his targets in the first place.

Personally, I think it was mostly down to the board and I think the resignation of Pelling speaks volumes.

I'm no way ITK, but from reading between the lines I wouldn't be surprised if SC/KB were expecting a budget of a certain amount to compete at this level, drew up a list of players within that budget that would improve the squad, and were eventually given a budget much lower than they needed/expected. This would explain the long wait for a signing and SC's frustration anyway.

2 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Personally, I think it was mostly down to the board and I think the resignation of Pelling speaks volumes.

I'm no way ITK, but from reading between the lines I wouldn't be surprised if SC/KB were expecting a budget of a certain amount to compete at this level, drew up a list of players within that budget that would improve the squad, and were eventually given a budget much lower than they needed/expected. This would explain the long wait for a signing and SC's frustration anyway.

Yes Pelling resignation/sacking does speak volumes...The buck stopped with him and the BoD and the majority shareholder made sure we all knew it

I have sympathy with your second point, but I think the budget was available once they realised what it needed to be....Yes back to Mr Pelling. As stated earlier the strategy of the club was to go after players late...This was stated many times and ohhh what a cock up it was....Don't see that one happening again in Jan or next season!!

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Have you not read anything on here explaining why the summer transfers were so difficult?

1) Understandably Cotterill, like all decent managers only wanted to sign players to strengthen the squad and those players on his shopping list did not want to sign for City, largely because of City being a newly promoted club. That's why Grey went to Burnley who are a well established Championship club. Circumstances in other words.

2) Timing - because of the above. City first transfer window in the Championship. I have no great expectations for the January window either - because of City's current lowly league position better quality players won't want to come here.

So why go for someone who was out of our reach? It was plain to see that Gray was being as he was with a team who his goals reached the Championship playoffs

Why not go for talented youngsters from the lower leagues? Why drop what was a good policy in order to chase pie in the sky signings?

Who to blame, eh?!

This is how things work:-

In terms of a commercial entity, it starts with the top - Owner, then Chairman, then Chief Exec, then probably the Manager.

You can't blame the players in the first instance, as they are put there by all the above. It's like having bad stock in a shop. Why try and sell shyte? (Not that our players are shyte). Who bought the bad stock, and who was negligent in not buying the right stock.

Similarly, if you need to go upmarket / up the league, YOU make that decision, and you will have to speculate to accumulate. The trouble is you are competing against an ever improving elite - or just folk with more money than you've got.

It does help if you are not naive in these dealings, or you are a bit hamstrung from the start.

INVEST IN A GOOD MANAGER.

Uncle TFR

But you could argue that many successful businesses are built on a huge gamble taken early on by the founder (Branson with Virgin, Chris Dawson with The Range) so, to use that as an analogy, we maybe should have taken a punt on the best of league 1 when we went up together with a couple of old heads - both would have been risky but sometimes it pays off.

The one thing successful businesses don`t do is keep making the same wrong decisions over and over again.

Mind you, I`m not sure football IS like any other business TBH!

Archived