IGNORED

Blame Cotts or the Board?

Lordofthebling

So... I think we all agree that the summer transfer activity of 2015 was a complete and utter shambles.

We have had thread after thread where many posters seem to blame Cotts, others blaming the board. 

If we look at track records - Cotts' signings have pretty much been on the money. Freeman, Wilbs, Ayling et al, dramatically improved our squad last year, almost beyond recognition. Transfer fees seemed to be kept to a minimum, with Cotts able to get real value for money.

Is this the way Cotts likes to operate? Has he a history of doing deals like this at other clubs? Has he ever had 'money' to spend? Or is he better operating at League 1 level?

If we look at what I personally think was a 'Cotts' target and signing this summer - Kodjia has been excellent value for money. And the ground work was apparently done by Cotts for a whole year prior to him signing...  

Again, is this the preferred way Cotts likes to work? 

Then we get to the board, Lansdown and their track record... We've had golden moments like the five pillars, Jon Lansdown taking the forefront with pure value for money the ticket, and a young team to build a future around...

When that didn't work, Cotts was brought in as an SOS. Out go the pillars, in come the likes of Wade Elliott, Paterson and Simon Moore as it is experience we now need...

Last season came and went to great success, but something this summer just doesn't add up.  Cotts seems to like doing his business under the radar and for value for money, whilst we have seen in the past that Lansdown likes to 'Make a statement...' I call it knee jerk. Just like we had David James after the World Cup, suddenly this summer we were ready to splash 9/10 million on premier league strikers to go with our shiny new stadium and impress everyone. 

I think all of us knew these were unrealistic targets, so who chose to chase these players? John Pelling? Keith Burt? Lansdown? Cotts? 

Why WAS the strategy to buy the best young players from League One and build something gradually swapped for a strategy of panic buying unrealistic targets?

Was Cotterill allowed to go and get his own choice of players? Or did he really want Gray and Gayle?

If we spent a whole year scouting Kodjia, surely we could and should have known after 5 minutes that we didn't have a chance with the likes of Gayle or Gray?

All I know is this summer really ###### me off. 

Gayle never wanted to come here and wasn't remotely interested, not sure if it was ever anything other than agent/paper talk.

Gray was virtually a done deal until the question of the agent's fee came into the equation. At that point it fell through and off he went to Burnley with some spin being put out about better club more prospects. Which can't be argued with, but wasn't the reason. At least not according to our leader.

11 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Gayle never wanted to come here and wasn't remotely interested, not sure if it was ever anything other than agent/paper talk.

Gray was virtually a done deal until the question of the agent's fee came into the equation. At that point it fell through and off he went to Burnley with some spin being put out about better club more prospects. Which can't be argued with, but wasn't the reason. At least not according to our leader.

But did Cotts want either of them?  Obviously he'd say yes, but for some reason, those two signings seem a bit like the board taking matters into their own hands...

9 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

But did Cotts want either of them?  Obviously he'd say yes, but for some reason, those two signings seem a bit like the board taking matters into their own hands...

Well he seemed well pee'd off about Gray, or at least his agent, when ask about it out shopping at Cribbs.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Then why did we bid for him if we knew he was out of our reach?

Exactly. If we can't pay a wages for a player they're out of our reach, likewise if we can't afford their agent fee or match bonuses they get offered by competitors. If we take your post literally and the manager is identifying the players, the buck stops with him if these players are unattainable.

3 hours ago, westonred said:

Its all well and good having bids of £9m+ accepted for players but if the board wont pay more than the (reported) £15k a week on thier wages then we are not going to get championship quality players to sign, whoever the manager is.

I've said this all along!  Nobody want the club to go back to the journey men fleecing the club and who couldn't care less about City. Unfortunately, the only way we will get quality ex Prem or experienced Championship players to sign,  is to pay the going rate.  Until they offer this to new signings, then I for one don't hold out much hope of City signing these quality players in January or any other time,  come to that.   SC offering his resignation yesterday may be BS,  but if the players that he wants are not offered the going rate and won't come, then I can see him walking or getting sacked due to this disagreement  in January.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Blame circumstances in cahoots with timing. It's no particular person or persons to blame.

What circumstances? And regarding timing, we had the best part of two months extra to sort out our transfers. We've messed up this summer and I believe it is the fault of both our management team and board.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Blame circumstances in cahoots with timing. It's no particular person or persons to blame.

The circumstances are we were as good as promoted by the end of March and so were in the enviable position of being able to draw up our 'hit-list' a good 6 weeks before other clubs.

We were heading to the Championship as title-winners with the ground redevelopment coming along nicely.

The circumstances and timing leader up to the summer transfer window could hardly have been better. In fact things were as good as they've ever been in the history of our club.

And we royally ****** it up BIG TIME.

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Cotts for me, he should've been more realistic what with knowing about the 10k limit. To be fair he's brought in some excellent loanees which goes some way to making up for it. I just hope we don't panic for wages in Jan. 

Baker, then who?

Hamer? Cox? Robinson? Moore? Robinson? I'm struggling...

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What circumstances? And regarding timing, we had the best part of two months extra to sort out our transfers. We've messed up this summer and I believe it is the fault of both our management team and board.

Have you not read anything on here explaining why the summer transfers were so difficult?

1) Understandably Cotterill, like all decent managers only wanted to sign players to strengthen the squad and those players on his shopping list did not want to sign for City, largely because of City being a newly promoted club. That's why Grey went to Burnley who are a well established Championship club. Circumstances in other words.

2) Timing - because of the above. City first transfer window in the Championship. I have no great expectations for the January window either - because of City's current lowly league position better quality players won't want to come here.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have you not read anything on here explaining why the summer transfers were so difficult?

1) Understandably Cotterill, like all decent managers only wanted to sign players to strengthen the squad and those players on his shopping list did not want to sign for City, largely because of City being a newly promoted club. That's why Grey went to Burnley who are a well established Championship club. Circumstances in other words.

Well the policy was flawed then. If we went for too ambitious targets that's our fault. There are plenty of players we could have found to improve is for a fraction of the cost we were bidding, it's up to us to find them. And no, it wasn't purely down to us being newly promoted. Money being a big one. Do you really think if we had offered Dwight Gayle 50k per week or something he wouldn't be here?

2) Timing - because of the above. City first transfer window in the Championship. I have no great expectations for the January window either - because of City's current lowly league position better quality players won't want to come here.

Again, I disagree. What has the first transfer window got to do with anything? We got playoffs with some astute signings in our first window under GJ.. Oh no, I really didn't want to bring him up. The players he bought in largely improved the side and made us competitive, robust and versatile.

Other teams like Southampton, Brentford and Wolves further evidence it's about how you use that window, they all managed to make good signings in their first Windows. I am expecting a big January, without several key signings we are going to struggle I think.

Of course I have, and neither of those excuses are good enough. I have addressed your points above.

Quite simply Steve was well and truly tucked up in the transfer window, that much was evident at the time, you could see he was frustrated to say the least 

He deserves the next window at the very least especially after last season

I really really hope we can turn it around, preferably with Cotts

Time will tell I guess

Up the City!! 

8 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Baker, then who?

Hamer? Cox? Robinson? Moore? Robinson? I'm struggling...

On paper all of them bar Robinson are great loan signings. Bennett and Baker have played games granted the others haven't. But I think Moore looks excellent. To get 3 prem/high level championship players on loan to a newly promoted club shouldn't be ignored.

So do we buy some of the best of league 1 again in Jan ( Dack/Bradshaw ) for the reasons of:

A-They'll be cheaper and

B-If we get relegated we are ready made with the better players for league 1 to make an instant return??

less of a financial gamble this way or just push the boat out and attempt big fees, wages and bonuses on the supposed 'quality' we need?

As fans we don't have the facts so can't decide who's to blame. What's the decision making process on new players, is there a wage cap etc? Probably all parties have an element of blame regarding the transfer shambles but it happened here when we were in the Championship last time, a long time before Cotts arrived.

18 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

As fans we don't have the facts so can't decide who's to blame. What's the decision making process on new players, is there a wage cap etc? Probably all parties have an element of blame regarding the transfer shambles but it happened here when we were in the Championship last time, a long time before Cotts arrived.

It's not about simply money but a combination of factors. Probably the most crucial one would be Cotterill only wanting players that would improve the squad - and who can criticise him for that? It's not his fault if the players he wanted didn't want to sign for us.

The club could have signed any number of ordinary players but would they have strengthen the squad?  In a word - no.

Archived