IGNORED

Kids + away games

tts_city

My 9 year old son really wants to go to the WBA FA cup game if we can get tickets, we are both season ticket holders so are in with a chance but are away games suitable for a 9 year old ? we went to wembley and had a great day although I havent been to normal away games since a swindon match mid eighties, I appreciate it wont quite as mental as that. Do many kids go to away games ? 

There must be a possibility that you will be amongst fans who are standing. He might not see much, unless he stands on a seat. Some interesting songs with fruity language and possibly handbags ten paces between rival fans, but no danger as home and away fans are segregated. 

25 minutes ago, tts_city said:

My 9 year old son really wants to go to the WBA FA cup game if we can get tickets, we are both season ticket holders so are in with a chance but are away games suitable for a 9 year old ? we went to wembley and had a great day although I havent been to normal away games since a swindon match mid eighties, I appreciate it wont quite as mental as that. Do many kids go to away games ? 

90% of our fans sit down so he shouldn't have any problem seeing the game. Unless of course you go to the back which is where people will be standing.

8 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

It'll be OK. I first took my daughter when she was about 10, she's seen the odd fight and heard a lot of language the wife wouldn't approve of but it didn't put her off. The thing that did reduce her interest was the McInnes/SOD era and I struggle to get her to attend now!

His first season was SOD we had to watch seven games before we saw a win, it was breaking my heart seeing the disappointment every week in his little face "will we ever win dad ? "  bless him. I think we will go.

Just now, tts_city said:

His first season was SOD we had to watch seven games before we saw a win, it was breaking my heart seeing the disappointment every week in his little face "will we ever win dad ? "  bless him. I think we will go.

Set his expectation now! Ie we will get battered!!

18 minutes ago, tts_city said:

I feel a bit like that this season:sad26:

55 minutes ago, tts_city said:

My daughter now 13 has been going to away games for a few years now and have never felt in any danger. To be honest the biggest issue we've had is selfish fans who want to stand at the front and don't give a **** who's behind them but normally we end up having to try to find seats elsewhere 

3 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

My daughter now 13 has been going to away games for a few years now and have never felt in any danger. To be honest the biggest issue we've had is selfish fans who want to stand at the front and don't give a **** who's behind them but normally we end up having to try to find seats elsewhere 

We should do what Stoke do. When there's a decent sized away allocation we'll take 1500+ to, they sell tickets in the top half of the allocation as "standing" tickets and ones in the bottom half as "sitting" ones. I much prefer to stand but am conscious of standing in people's way. Feel this option is a good compromise and my Stoke supporting friends say it's improved away days no end.

1 hour ago, tts_city said:

Suitable as in he isnt likely to feel in any danger I suppose, im being over protective I think but it is what it is :)

It's not the 80s anymore fella, your son will be fine :)

He will love it! I remember my first away game at Mansfield in the cup...

Won 5-4! What an introduction.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We should do what Stoke do. When there's a decent sized away allocation we'll take 1500+ to, they sell tickets in the top half of the allocation as "standing" tickets and ones in the bottom half as "sitting" ones. I much prefer to stand but am conscious of standing in people's way. Feel this option is a good compromise and my Stoke supporting friends say it's improved away days no end.

Definitely. Unreserved seating also works,the standers tend to go to the back and sitters at the front,everyone's happy but it seems less and less clubs are doing this. 

Don't get me wrong I fully understand some people prefer to stand and I certainly don't want to stop them from doing that, like I say most of the time we try to find seats on the side out the way but there have been a couple of occasions where that wasn't possible. We did have an incident at Woles a few years back in the top tier of the new stand. We were 4 rows from the front with nobody in front of us when 5 mins before kick off about 30 lads came in and took up the front 3 rows right in front of us. It was hopeless,she and some others couldn't see a thing and when I asked if they could sit was told to go forth and multiply. The stewards found us 2 seats elsewhere but we ended up getting soaked. That did leave a slightly bitter taste in my mouth but what can you do,with that many if they won't sit you can't make them.

in the interest of fairness there have been lots of decent people who whilst wanting to stand have been considerate to people behind,some who physically just couldn't stand for 90 mins. 

3 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Definitely. Unreserved seating also works,the standers tend to go to the back and sitters at the front,everyone's happy but it seems less and less clubs are doing this. 

Don't get me wrong I fully understand some people prefer to stand and I certainly don't want to stop them from doing that, like I say most of the time we try to find seats on the side out the way but there have been a couple of occasions where that wasn't possible. We did have an incident at Woles a few years back in the top tier of the new stand. We were 4 rows from the front with nobody in front of us when 5 mins before kick off about 30 lads came in and took up the front 3 rows right in front of us. It was hopeless,she and some others couldn't see a thing and when I asked if they could sit was told to go forth and multiply. The stewards found us 2 seats elsewhere but we ended up getting soaked. That did leave a slightly bitter taste in my mouth but what can you do,with that many if they won't sit you can't make them.

in the interest of fairness there have been lots of decent people who whilst wanting to stand have been considerate to people behind,some who physically just couldn't stand for 90 mins. 

Exactly, I think the Stoke idea suits everyone as people get what they want from an away game. Only issue is people who want to sit may not want to be nearer the front.. I would like the club to try it though and I've emailed them about it. A game like Reading or Fulham away might be an idea. 

The Mrs wants to go to the West Brom game but I have thought better of it. She will be 6 months pregnant and the couple of times I have been to West Brom there seems to have been trouble.

They seem to be one of those teams we have no direct rivalry with yet still dislike each other.

Am I on my own with this or is there a rivalry others are aware of?

11 hours ago, tts_city said:

I've taken my girls (12 & 7) to Brighton this season and Crawley last season and it was good fun. Admittedly lower profile than West Brom but certainly never felt worried or in danger. They preferred it to home games as there's a bit more atmosphere!

3 hours ago, BCFC@Frome said:

I'm in the same situation,my boy is 8 and wants to go to his first away match, he has been pestering me for over  a year now. I have had my eye on the Reading match on 2nd January as it's an easy drive and can't forsee any trouble. But he is now saying he wants to do WBA.

weather is a potential problem for an 8 year old's first match. Young children sometimes get a bit bored during a match and sitting for a couple of hours on a cold day isn't much fun when you're only 8. Ideally, spring  autumn is a good time to start. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

weather is a potential problem for an 8 year old's first match. Young children sometimes get a bit bored during a match and sitting for a couple of hours on a cold day isn't much fun when you're only 8. Ideally, spring  autumn is a good time to start. 

He has had a season ticket for 3 years so is used to the cold so not overall concerned by the weather. Like most parents this time of year it's more about the cost difference between the 2 matches.

My lad now 11 has been going to away games for 4 years. He loves it and we make a day of it. Sit down meal, walk around etc... If we find it could be risky, straight in the ground, straight home keeping ourselves to ourselves.  Touch wood, never had any issues.

Doing a bit of research and keeping an eye on forums has helped on occasions.  Also football ground guide website has helped.

13 hours ago, tts_city said:

Ditto, when I first started taking Joe (he's now just turned 10).  It wasn't the lack of winning it was the lack of chances created too!

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

If the weather is cold, get some thermals and some Mr Men hand warmers from Boots.  Having said that the atmosphere at away games seems to create warmth.

I took Joe to Cardiff this season, it was well policed, and no issues.  There will always be idiots, and as @Red Right Hand says it's only Swindon fans who attack families and disabled fans.

Archived