IGNORED

Bristol Sport (Gala)any known casualties?

Linkedarm wall

This thread has really brought it home to me.

This Steve Lansdown bloke - other than building his own financial services company from nothing to multi million pound blue chip status, investing millions in our loss making football club, and financing a new £45m stadium for us, what is there to suggest he is any good for our future?

Is there a petition I can sign that politely asks him to take his money, his passion and his business acumen elsewhere. And who else is signing that?

I would be interested to see how BS pitch POTD prices next season with 27000 seats available. Both football and egg chasing 'walk up' prices are over £30 now for the Dolman which seems alot to me.

Secondly, would anyone like to hazard a guess how the forthcoming corporate dollar will be split? I appreciate it will go into the BS 'pot' but would anyone have a clue how much the football club will benefit in terms of turnover?

41 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

This thread has really brought it home to me.

This Steve Lansdown bloke - other than building his own financial services company from nothing to multi million pound blue chip status, investing millions in our loss making football club, and financing a new £45m stadium for us, what is there to suggest he is any good for our future?

Is there a petition I can sign that politely asks him to take his money, his passion and his business acumen elsewhere. And who else is signing that?

I was 100% supportive of Steve Lansdown before Bristol Sport; following Scott Davidson's great efforts he built upon them and invested serious money.  He made one big mistake (Gary Johnson's 5 year contract) but that was readily forgiven.

I was slightly uneasy with Bristol Sport as diluting the focus upon Bristol City (we've been relegated but the Basketball team have been promoted - yay!) but was open-minded until it started appointing to senior positions PR, communications, and media "experts"; those people with no practical use who suck funds from the company onto various nonsense, branding and "raising awareness" projects in addition to their own ludicrous salaries.  That way lies heavily-spun failure and money pouring down the drain; with the only things standing to lose out big time being Bristol City FC and Steve Lansdown's bank account.

I still support and welcome the leadership of Steve and Jon Lansdown; but I opine that Bristol Sport and all its non-job employees should be scrapped as of tomorrow.

8 hours ago, ciderup said:

I would be interested to see how BS pitch POTD prices next season with 27000 seats available. Both football and egg chasing 'walk up' prices are over £30 now for the Dolman which seems alot to me.

Secondly, would anyone like to hazard a guess how the forthcoming corporate dollar will be split? I appreciate it will go into the BS 'pot' but would anyone have a clue how much the football club will benefit in terms of turnover?

What's the company structure? Presumably Bristol City Football Club is still it's own statutory entity in which case it'll need to account independently for it's own turnover, even if it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Bristol Sport and it's then reported up on consolidation.

Not that that would answer the question of course as if it is a wholly owned sub then it's all Bristol Sport's anyway.

22 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I think having all the overheads under one roof, so to speak, makes sense.  I also don't think it's the case that he's taking from the Bristol City pot and giving to the Basketball pot, I imagine they're different pots.  I also don't know the finances of the Rugby but would imagine that they're less damaging than City's and with a greater chance of breaking even/profiting.  In sum, I speculate.  This really is about one man trying to leave a legacy for sport in Bristol.

I'm not keen on the whole thing either, I'm a football fan.  'Bristol Sport' = 'Cooperate W**k' but hey, what can you do?  It's the age we're in.

What I am keeping an eye on is the cost of match day tickets as frankly it'd have been more affordable for two people to go to West Brom v Tottenham than Bristol City v Blackburn Rovers on the weekend.

Think the fact that SL now has the rugby,and to a lesser extent basketball also to consider surely focus must become blurred. I dont like it atall.... Has that corporate edge to it that is understandable from the cash generated but still leaves an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of the stomach.as you say-"what can you do"............prawn sandwich,anyone???

11 hours ago, ciderup said:

A lot less if SL gets what I truly believe he wants and that's a top tier sporting team.

imho it seems a loy easier to achieve on a rugger pitch with less expectant fans than us football fans who at the moment will be happy with survival in the second tier.

An astute business man would certainly gain popularity if he was to deliver top flight sport (albeit rugby) to Bristol as a whole, maybe, undoubtedly in my mind rugby is where the priority lists, from there on who knows................heaven forebid the missing link to Bristol Sport and success on the football pitch could be Bristol United FC........I feel a bit sick writing that, however stranger atrocities have happened!

34 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

A lot less if SL gets what I truly believe he wants and that's a top tier sporting team.

imho it seems a loy easier to achieve on a rugger pitch with less expectant fans than us football fans who at the moment will be happy with survival in the second tier.

An astute business man would certainly gain popularity if he was to deliver top flight sport (albeit rugby) to Bristol as a whole, maybe, undoubtedly in my mind rugby is where the priority lists, from there on who knows................heaven forebid the missing link to Bristol Sport and success on the football pitch could be Bristol United FC........I feel a bit sick writing that, however stranger atrocities have happened!

Not while the Lansdowns are in charge - I can assure you of that. Notice how Bristol Academy has become Bristol City Ladies?

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What's the company structure? Presumably Bristol City Football Club is still it's own statutory entity in which case it'll need to account independently for it's own turnover, even if it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Bristol Sport and it's then reported up on consolidation.

Not that that would answer the question of course as if it is a wholly owned sub then it's all Bristol Sport's anyway.

55 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Therein lies the dilemma chaps. We have no idea if all this fancy corporate stuff is going to make 1 iota of difference to the football club and it's turnover hence FFP figures? I would hope it does as we need to be able to compete at Championship level and I was kind of hoping the corporate £££ would help us do that.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a criticism per-se but a slight concern. If we have all this non matchday stuff and still don't have the figures to compete, it doesn't bode well for the future of the football club as we have never had it before and it has been used as the 'go to' excuse for years.

21 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

That`s as may be but just like every other fan who`s had the name of their ground `corporatized` it will still always be Ashton Gate to us.

I disagree. Once the official website, local TV, Bristol Post, national TV and newspapers etc., as well as new fans, started referring to AG by the new name - and they would - Ashton Gate would very quickly be consigned to history.

Thankfully I'm pretty sure Steve Lansdown has stated the name of the stadium will never be changed.

34 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Therein lies the dilemma chaps. We have no idea if all this fancy corporate stuff is going to make 1 iota of difference to the football club and it's turnover hence FFP figures? I would hope it does as we need to be able to compete at Championship level and I was kind of hoping the corporate £££ would help us do that.

I'm pretty sure it will. Where did the FC become the unloved sibling in all this? I'm not sure where there's any evidence of it.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

I'm pretty sure it will. Where did the FC become the unloved sibling in all this? I'm not sure where there's any evidence of it.

It's not but money that was solely passed to BCFC, is now divided around the whole of Bristol Sport?

Without membership Charlton tickets are £36 or £39 adult and £26 or £29 for a 12 to 19 year old. This is Dolman stand prices.

You are looking at for a parent with 2 kids £88 to watch a game of footy, I know season tickets are best way to buy, but surely at these prices your keeping the floating fan away.

Without affordable juvenile prices, and a welcome for youngsters without being accompanied by an adult, it's possible I'd never have started going at all.

The juvenile queue for the East End in the 70's was massive, mostly comprised of groups of teenage friends, and price was never an issue.

Why do City appear to be actively discouraging the next generation of supporters?

53 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Without membership Charlton tickets are £36 or £39 adult and £26 or £29 for a 12 to 19 year old. This is Dolman stand prices.

You are looking at for a parent with 2 kids £88 to watch a game of footy, I know season tickets are best way to buy, but surely at these prices your keeping the floating fan away.

With membership you're committing to spending around £210 for six games for one adult, that's before kids. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

It's not but money that was solely passed to BCFC, is now divided around the whole of Bristol Sport?

That's not necessarily true either; if Steve owned these businesses separately he'd have a specific total in mind for investment in each. Just because they're under one roof doesn't mean he's not putting in the same amount.

9 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

With membership you're committing to spending around £210 for six games for one adult, that's before kids. 

Very very true, it makes you think without a season ticket is it worth going at all. It has got to the point now where it's just not worth it anymore.

i have a membership but live in Manchester so coincide home games if I can with visiting family, but with 2 kids and the other half I just can't justify forking out £100+ per game for tickets.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

That's not necessarily true either; if Steve owned these businesses separately he'd have a specific total in mind for investment in each. Just because they're under one roof doesn't mean he's not putting in the same amount.

Reading back my last post it didn't read as I meant it

What I was trying to say, previously if SL had £100m to invest before that would have all gone to us

If he has £100m to invest now, that get's split between us, Rugby, Basketball, Womens footy, Car racer etc....

The ONLY way it wouldn't affect us is that is if SL is increasing his input into those clubs 

But equally if he has £200m now to invest in all those listed above it's £100m we could have had

Before Bristol Sport these other sports were not the financial responsibility of SL

Hope that kind of makes sense

1 hour ago, phantom said:

What I was trying to say, previously if SL had £100m to invest before that would have all gone to us

If he has £100m to invest now, that get's split between us, Rugby, Basketball, Womens footy, Car racer etc....

The ONLY way it wouldn't affect us is that is if SL is increasing his input into those clubs 

But equally if he has £200m now to invest in all those listed above it's £100m we could have had

Before Bristol Sport these other sports were not the financial responsibility of SL

If he had £100m to *invest* that would have probably went on his non-HL business interests. Think he's pretty much admitted he's unlikely to see a return on his money with City.

On 12/9/2015 at 16:04, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I think it was hugely disrespectful to drop Wedlock's name from the new stand. No need for that at all. 

I could sort of understand if it had been named after a sponsor, but to change it to something as uninspiring and generic as the South Stand, bang out of order in my opinion. 

Agree. The Wedlock South Stand?

8 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

One Boxing Day several years ago, I went to Eastville with my father to watch Rovers against Wolves - a cheap father and son afternoon (an enjoyable afternoon and Rovers lost 5-1, but that is not the point).

Next season, with our new 27K capacity (and surely not ground full), will there be any temptation for a similar trip to introduce young potential fans or will they be scared off by the exorbitant prices?

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Itscares me that you and many others seem to have the same thoughts me too.

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Yeah that's true, but we're being a bit greedy if we're complaining about that. He could have ploughed a billion pounds into us if he wanted, but he didn't. He's always had other interests.

Regards the splitting of corporate revenue I would guess (hope?) it would be split according to the % of non corp revenue created by each sporting venture or something like.

City would surely generate the most non corporate revenue so by that formula or similar would benefit...which also figures as this level of football has by far the highest running costs of the four sports.

Could be well out but it would seem to me to be a fairly sensible formula?

On 09/12/2015 at 11:11, Ivorguy said:

What has always worried me is that Ashton Gate, the ground, is a different company from Bristol City FC 

We could find ourselves if SL pulls plug with a club and no ground - please no ground share with Bath or you know who 

Don't worry Ivor..Mr Ashton will mop your fevered brow and whisper soothing words..........

urgh, Lansdown, what an arse, £100m of his own money pumped into the club, brand new stadium, massively increased potential

if we want to be tin pot city with a shitty run down stadium, two pennies to rub together and a massive chip on your shoulder over that fact we shudda couldda wouldda be in the Prem then bye bye

Archived