IGNORED

Bristol Sport (Gala)any known casualties?

Linkedarm wall

With apparently 800 people attending the gala last night and with the West stand developing daily, Bristol Sport would appear to be in good shape? We all know that we haven't progressed much on the pitch in SL's time, apart from a brief glimpse at the play off final a few years back.

At the start of all this Bristol Sport stuff, I kind of got it and thought maybe it was the way forward. This is I think about my 40th/41st year as a season ticket holder and I'm not sure that I buy into where the club is going, the feeling ain't right. Plenty of other clubs have reached where SL wants to be without Rugby,rebranding etc

Anyone know of people that have stopped going because of 'Bristol Sport' and will the 'brand' be strong enough locally to attract more people as I guess that is one of the objectives?

It doesn't stop me but I still don't like the concept as I am a Bristol City fan.

How adding to a (loss-making) Bristol City several other loss-making sports teams is a good idea financially escapes me.

Though it's good for the other teams as they are now having their losses met.

This seems to be the same "stronger-together" Tony Benn thinking that led to the creation of British Leyland based upon the Ryder Report that said BL would continue to make one third of the cars sold in Britain and become profitable.  Errr, no.

The Ryder Report

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It doesn't stop me but I still don't like the concept as I am a Bristol City fan.

How adding to a (loss-making) Bristol City several other loss-making sports teams is a good idea financially escapes me.

Though it's good for the other teams as they are now having their losses met.

This seems to be the same "stronger-together" Tony Benn thinking that led to the creation of British Leyland based upon the Ryder Report that said BL would continue to make one third of the cars sold in Britain and become profitable.  Errr, no.

The Ryder Report

I think having all the overheads under one roof, so to speak, makes sense.  I also don't think it's the case that he's taking from the Bristol City pot and giving to the Basketball pot, I imagine they're different pots.  I also don't know the finances of the Rugby but would imagine that they're less damaging than City's and with a greater chance of breaking even/profiting.  In sum, I speculate.  This really is about one man trying to leave a legacy for sport in Bristol.

I'm not keen on the whole thing either, I'm a football fan.  'Bristol Sport' = 'Cooperate W**k' but hey, what can you do?  It's the age we're in.

What I am keeping an eye on is the cost of match day tickets as frankly it'd have been more affordable for two people to go to West Brom v Tottenham than Bristol City v Blackburn Rovers on the weekend.

I think the reason we haven't seen it before is because it's the first model of it's kind in the UK (stand to be corrected on that). 

SL cited being inspired by the Barcelona model and in Europe, especially Southern Europe, you'll find several sports teams under one name. Real Madrid, Olympiakos, Galatasaray to name but 3 which encompass different sports.

I feel they've made lots of mistakes, especially last season and they're starting to make less of them which is a good thing. As @WTFiGO!?! says, Match ticket prices are a concern.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the reason we haven't seen it before is because it's the first model of it's kind in the UK (stand to be corrected on that). 

SL cited being inspired by the Barcelona model and in Europe, especially Southern Europe, you'll find several sports teams under one name. Real Madrid, Olympiakos, Galatasaray to name but 3 which encompass different sports.

I feel they've made lots of mistakes, especially last season and they're starting to make less of them which is a good thing. As @WTFiGO!?! says, Match ticket prices are a concern.

Pretty sure Sir John Hall (name might well be wrong) undertook a similar exercise in Newcastle, owning the football club, rugby club and a few other teams.

They won nothing.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure Sir John Hall (name might well be wrong) undertook a similar exercise in Newcastle, owning the football club, rugby club and a few other teams.

They won nothing.

The same John Hall who advised City and Rovers to merge because they could then become as successful as Newcastle.

Which is indeed the logical next step for Bristol Sport - as it's Bristol Sport and not Bristol City Sport - buy up the Rovers.

Would the BS fanboys begin to have doubts at that stage?

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What has always worried me is that Ashton Gate, the ground, is a different company from Bristol City FC 

We could find ourselves if SL pulls plug with a club and no ground - please no ground share with Bath or you know who 

But something that isn't connected to Bristol Sport in anyway and has been the case for some time. 

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Certainly a very ambitious plan - those are all household names around the world and have lots of potential for bringing other parties on board

Will be interested to see how it moves on with Gloucestershire cricket, now they have voted not to adopt the Bristol name in their one day sides

The price thing is the key, I know supporters of Bristol rugby who feel their season tickets are massively overpriced in comparison to us, we only need to go to about 13 games Vs a match day price to cover of season tickets, but for rugby fans they have to attend nearly all their fixtures

I can't be a fan of Bristol Sport. I'm a Bristol City fan, but I'm not a Bristolian. I couldn't give a crap how other Bristol teams get on, if I'm honest. As a Gloucester Rugby fan it also concerns me that Bristol Rugby will find themselves the big winners from this set up. Can do without another big spending team coming on the scene and giving us even less chance of competing

Remember last season, billboards around Gloucester springing up with Bristol Rugby on it, that just smacked of pure desperation, or maybe it was a '**** you' gesture, Gloucester, Gloucestershire - it's all pretty much Cherry & White. It's in the blood. I hated seeing those signs and thinking that the company that owns my football club had anything to do with it

I'll never be a fan of BS, but it I can't see anything (short of a merger with the Blue Few) stopping me being a City fan

This Barcelona model sounds good.

All members get a vote.

Quick proposal on the agenda.

"We propose to drop the the BS, propose all teams play under the name Bristol City, and wear colours red and white!"

Bristol City has already been a casualty.

The gaff looks like a white spaceship from Winterstoke road.

Expensive yes, thanks Steve yes, but spaceship that is.

4 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

This Barcelona model sounds good.

All members get a vote.

Quick proposal on the agenda.

"We propose to drop the the BS, propose all teams play under the name Bristol City, and wear colours red and white!"

Bristol City has already been a casualty.

The gaff looks like a white spaceship from Winterstoke road.

Expensive yes, thanks Steve yes, but spaceship that is.

Agree about the space ship, I guess I'm so used to seeing AG in red. Maybe next season it'll look better with the LED illuminations.

I don't like the south stand and the dolman looks a bit ugly in its current form, think it'll be better if/when safe standing is in the lower section.

The Williams is impressive though, really like that and think the south stand artwork in the concourse is good.

48 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

They won nothing.

Interesting, didn't know that. Was thinking Swansea and Ospreys too but think that was little more than a ground share.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

They won nothing.

Aaaaah Newcastle eh, best fans in the world. The Geordie Nation. They deserve every success. 

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The same John Hall who advised City and Rovers to merge because they could then become as successful as Newcastle.

Which is indeed the logical next step for Bristol Sport - as it's Bristol Sport and not Bristol City Sport - buy up the Rovers.

Would the BS fanboys begin to have doubts at that stage?

Aside from the potential to add a few thousand to the crowd (and subtract a few thousand disgruntled fans the other way), what exactly does one get for their money when buying Rovers? 

A pointless exercise in the short and medium term.  SL will be long dead before history is forgotten and Bristol United is a team anyone would want to follow. So why would he even contemplate it?

2 hours ago, Gilts said:

Are all of our stands going to be named 'North, East, South, West' stands now then? I understand that sponsorship of the stands could bring in money, but surely it wouldn't hurt to be called the 'Dribuild Wedlock Stand' or something along those lines. 

I think it was hugely disrespectful to drop Wedlock's name from the new stand. No need for that at all. 

I could sort of understand if it had been named after a sponsor, but to change it to something as uninspiring and generic as the South Stand, bang out of order in my opinion. 

31 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Aside from the potential to add a few thousand to the crowd (and subtract a few thousand disgruntled fans the other way), what exactly does one get for their money when buying Rovers? 

A pointless exercise in the short and medium term.  SL will be long dead before history is forgotten and Bristol United is a team anyone would want to follow. So why would he even contemplate it?

It's about Bristol Sport not Bristol City.  The aim is to make Bristol a sporting powerhouse with teams in several sports representing Bristol under the BS banner.  I didn't read anywhere that it was about successful sporting teams in Bristol with the exception of Bristol Rovers.  Or buy them and keep the teams separate, but have a big paying crowd every Saturday in the new stadium.

I am not advocating it by the way.

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I think it was hugely disrespectful to drop Wedlock's name from the new stand. No need for that at all. 

I could sort of understand if it had been named after a sponsor, but to change it to something as uninspiring and generic as the South Stand, bang out of order in my opinion. 

The thing that disappointed me most was the fact it wasn't even acknowledged the name was being dropped - out of the blue the East End suddenly became the South Stand - which in itself is ironic because the previous development that end was still to be known as the East End

I wonder who and why made the call to change this ?

EEMIDDLE2[1].JPG

25 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's about Bristol Sport not Bristol City.  The aim is to make Bristol a sporting powerhouse with teams in several sports representing Bristol under the BS banner.  I didn't read anywhere that it was about successful sporting teams in Bristol with the exception of Bristol Rovers.  Or buy them and keep the teams separate, but have a big paying crowd every Saturday in the new stadium.

I am not advocating it by the way.

You aren't allowed to own 2 league clubs.  Not sure how they could - in a real sense - keep them completely separate.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Really? A season ticket now is as affordable as it was nearly 10 years ago. 

Season ticket prices are irrelevant to people who can’t or won't committ to purchasing them.

I've had a quick search and can’t find anything to back me up on this but I suspect a match day ticket was less than £20 in 2005/6, compared to the £30+ we have seen this season….  It does put people off attending, I know this for fact.  

3 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Even if they were to call it the Dribuild Wedlock stand it would be more acceptable. But to drop it completely is disrespectful I agree.  

2 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Season ticket prices are irrelevant to people who can’t or won't committ to purchasing them.

I've had a quick search and can’t find anything to back me up on this but I suspect a match day ticket was less than £20 in 2005/6, compared to the £30+ we have seen this season….  It does put people off attending, I know this for fact.  

Hmmm, fair enough, can't say I keep tabs on POTD prices. 

But I'd be amazed if ticket prices (in a comparable league - ie 07/08 vs now or 06/07 vs last year) have increased any more than, say, a trip to the cinema, or a theme park or many other leisure activities. 

My Virgin Media bill has just gone up for the third time in six months(!) 

Not 'defending' POTS prices (as in all honesty I don't know what they are like now) but I don't think it's reasonable to expect to pay the same as you did either years ago or when we played in a lower division. 

By the same token those people will want to see us go out and spend money adding quality to the squad in January and probably lament our inability to land the Andre Grey's and Dwight Gayle's - and when we can't even sell out a ground with only three stands the money has to come from somewhere! 

Can't have the bun and the ha'penny as my Nan used to say!

Archived