IGNORED

Pre-Season Friendly

Vincent Vega

Pre season these days is purely a money making exercise for the 'big' clubs as the look to increase their overseas fan base and keep sponsors happy.

Would imagine the waiting list for a home pre season game is years long and subject to late cancellation notice.

Best chance of a high profile game would be Australia vs some tidy european side.

13 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

With the new stand finished & ready for next summer :fingerscrossed: , who do you think we should try to get down for a decent pre seaon friendly  ?

West Ham old boys

1. Hislop

2. Breaker

3. Dicks

4. Potts

5. Martin

6. Bishop

7. Moncur

8. Morley

9. Hutchinson

10. Cottee

11. Cole

Or Patrick Thistle a good shout 

23 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Hmm, get Liverpool and Everton down, like we did for the centenary year.  Maybe try to build a working relationship with Klopp / Martinez, and (Championship status dependent) secure some decent loans next season.

Good idea , Lukaka and Sturridge on loan would be great !

If it's anything like the south stand it won't be fully open until a good few games into the season.

Although the stand has raced along, there will be so much to do internally before next August, they may want to keep dates free until the first home fixture of next season against Northampton..........I mean Aston Villa! 

• Admin
21 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Didn't Bournemouth pay silly money and get real Madrid a couple of seasons back? Maybe SL will go nuts and splash out on someone similar. Would love Barcelona... Imagine messi playing down the gate! (then obviously falling in love with Bristol and signing for us the following summer....)

Perhaps that is why we hear about the "Barcelona" model - we're softening them up for the bid to bring them over !!

On 09/12/2015 at 20:25, BS4 on Tour... said:

I know of at least two Thistle boys who came down for our home legs in Bristol and just never returned to Glasgow. 

Prison? I hate to think what they did to get 37 years. Presumably the crime was worthy of extra sentencing on the basis of being committed in a skirt. Animals.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You`re joking. I thought that only happened in sitcoms! Quality!

No, he is a legend! When I went up back in the eighties to follow Thistle away at Aberdeen we stopped at the end of his road to pick him up. He charged at the car like an enraged rhino and dived into the back seat yelling 'drive, just drive..'

When we'd gone 100 yards he explained he'd told 'er indoors' that he was popping out for a pint of milk and a Sporting Life!

We got back on Sunday afternoon! 

He was actually a fine footballer and was on Celtic's books for a while. But I always remember him with a smile. He just didn't care about anything or anyone!

On a Friday night in Glasgow once (before Dundee Utd away) we were having a few beers with about 15 Thistle fans when his girlfriend stormed in and they had a blazing row about something. She stormed out in tears and someone asked if he was going to go after her. His response 'Of course....when I've finished my pint.'

She was waiting in the car park, they had an animated discussion and he strolled nonchalantly back into the pub and said to the assembled throng "anyone wanna come to Portugal with me next week" as he had a holiday booked with his lady but it obviously wasn't gonna happen. And she was drop dead gorgeous.

He just didn't care....sometimes not caring avoids stress I suppose?!

On 12/9/2015 at 21:25, BS4 on Tour... said:

Partick Thistle so we can celebrate the 35th and 37th anniversaries of our epic Anglo Scottish Cup Quarter Finals against the mighty Jags...!!

I know of at least two Thistle boys who came down for our home legs in Bristol and just never returned to Glasgow. Bristol was seen as a superb place to be, even back then!

I went to Paisley for the first leg of the final against St. Mirren.

We drove up and arrived late afternoon to find the ground open, but hardly anybody around.

As one does, we treated ourselves to a little tour of the ground and the stands etc. whereupon we were accosted by a local official. Introductions and an explanation as to who we were and why we were there led to us being 'forced' to go to the supporters club to warm up before the game - it was freezing, but the warm welcome made it all worthwhile.

Our hosts insisted we return to the supporters club after the game where, once again, we were 'forced' to accept numerous drinks, not allowed to pay at the bar 'members only' and even treated to haggis and chips.

A number of the St Mirren fans had arranged to come to Ashton Gate for the return leg and we arranged to meet up.

All friends together, prior to the game we tried to gain entry to the supporters club bar, above what was then the ticket office on the corner of the Williams stand, but, to our horror, we were refused entry as our St Mirren friends were not members!

Fortunately, 'after discussions' we were able to arrange temporary membership, but what a difference in hospitality!

Archived