IGNORED

32 years ago...

BS4 on Tour...

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I make no apology for highlighting the anniversary of my fave ever game again!

December 10th, 1983...

http://youtu.be/SgHrz_yR6NQ

Thanks for that one. Special memories for me because my first (late) wife can be seen at bottom of Muller Road terracing in a long white overcoat.

Only a woman, who was not particularly a football fan, would wear her best white coat to a football match on a wet December day at Eastville!

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Can remember the police marching us all the way back to Lawrence Hill roundabout while we listened to the fourth round draw  , Notts County away, another good day.

You missed all the fun!

Fantastic day, my mate got his hand crushed in a gate on the way out and it didn't hurt till hours later - so high we were. Remember the sand blowing in our eyes - was that then, was the speedway track still there? Can't remember, but never saw us lose there and I miss that shitty old ground. Tom Ritchie, the greatest.

26 minutes ago, spikeislandred said:

Fantastic day, my mate got his hand crushed in a gate on the way out and it didn't hurt till hours later - so high we were. Remember the sand blowing in our eyes - was that then, was the speedway track still there? Can't remember, but never saw us lose there and I miss that shitty old ground. Tom Ritchie, the greatest.

Sadly the Bulldogs were long gone by then, and it was back to being a scrubby old greyhound track.

1 hour ago, spikeislandred said:

I reckon youre on about the following season about easter time losing 1 nil to em it was like a sandstorm then

Altogether then........  "ONE NIL DOWN TWO ONE UP WE KNOCKED ROVURZ OUT THE CUP LA LA LA LA ...LA LA LA...LA LA"

Don't recall why but ended up getting tickets for me and the bro in law from the Gas supporters shop in Eastville so was in the stand that didn't burn down trying to keep quiet, which was hard when Tom equalised and kin impossible when that "filthy unwashed student" tucked away the winner.... oh happy day indeed...

Regards the following year  - which I think is the one when they apologised about the sand blowing into our faeces -  I was standing on the away terrace and had a blind chap standing just behind me.... it was brilliant how he gathered what was going on just by listening to those around him .... if someone shouted "go on Tom" he would repeat it , likewise he joined in with all the chants ....  I recall one free kick he grabbed my arm and asked very politely if I could describe where the free kick was and who was around the ball, how many in the wall etc.....  it made me realise how lucky I was and how much this great game of football means to so many different people regardless of race, colour, creed , education, or ability....... 

3 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Altogether then........  "ONE NIL DOWN TWO ONE UP WE KNOCKED ROVURZ OUT THE CUP LA LA LA LA ...LA LA LA...LA LA"

Don't recall why but ended up getting tickets for me and the bro in law from the Gas supporters shop in Eastville so was in the stand that didn't burn down trying to keep quiet, which was hard when Tom equalised and kin impossible when that "filthy unwashed student" tucked away the winner.... oh happy day indeed...

Regards the following year  - which I think is the one when they apologised about the sand blowing into our faeces -  I was standing on the away terrace and had a blind chap standing just behind me.... it was brilliant how he gathered what was going on just by listening to those around him .... if someone shouted "go on Tom" he would repeat it , likewise he joined in with all the chants ....  I recall one free kick he grabbed my arm and asked very politely if I could describe where the free kick was and who was around the ball, how many in the wall etc.....  it made me realise how lucky I was and how much this great game of football means to so many different people regardless of race, colour, creed , education, or ability....... 

What were you doing on the Muller Road end? I know it was packed but that`s a bit much!

I was there too.

Just to point out that their kit was shit even then, (the shorts are a different colour from their shirts), their ground was shit, basically a dilapidated greyhound stadium, with a burnt down stand. 

On the other hand our kit looks mint, our players, (Riley, Pritchard, Johnny Sham, Forbes PM) are heroic and as someone said earlier Tom Ritchie is basically one of the greatest people to ever walk the planet.

Here's a bloke who three years before was scoring goals for us in the top flight celebrating both our goals as a fourth division club like a true red.

Like TC too a simply great man..

11 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Terry Cooper, what a hero. Perhaps we should name the strip behind the Atyeo 'Terry Cooper Way'?

When you could ask David Lloyd questions on here, I asked if Terry Cooper could be recognised somewhere in the stadium. He said it was a good idea! If any city manager deserves to be recognised, it's him.

Just now, citysimmo said:

My first ever City game and will never forget it. I have to confess I wasn't really a City fan when I went in (a mate from school asked me along because he had a spare ticket) but I certainly was when we came out, it was incredible and I was hooked for life

That`s how it happens! Most of us would have a similar story to tell about how it began for us I`m sure. What other substance could get a person hooked for life after only using it for 90 minutes?

Archived