IGNORED

Official Huddersfield Town v Bristol City Thread (somebody had to)

Aizoon

Huddersfield is a large market town and is the largest settlement in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England. It is the 11th largest town in the United Kingdom with a population of 162,949 (2011 census). Halfway between Leeds and Manchester, it lies 190 miles (310 km) north of London, and 10.3 miles (16.6 km) south of Bradford, the nearest city.

Huddersfield is near the confluence of the River Colne and the River Holme. Located within the historic county boundaries of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is the largest urban area in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees and the administrative centre of the borough. The town is known for its role in the Industrial Revolution, and for being the birthplaces of rugby league, British Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson, and the international film star James Mason.

Huddersfield is a town known for sport, home to the rugby league team, Huddersfield Giants, founded in 1895, who play in the European Super League and Football League Championship football team Huddersfield Town F.C., founded in 1908. The town is home to the University of Huddersfield and the sixth form colleges Greenhead College, Kirklees College and Huddersfield New College

Huddersfield is a town of Victorian architecture. Huddersfield railway station is a Grade I listed building described by John Betjeman as 'the most splendid station façade in England' second only to St Pancras, London. The station in St George's Square was renovated at a cost of £4 million and subsequently won the Europa Nostra award for European architecture.

Huddersfield Town were the first team to win the First Division Championship three years running, under Herbert Chapman, but it doesn't count because it was before Sky Sports.

Good morning all. For the first time in many months I am on UK time but only for 24 hours. It rained every day for a week in Cuba so I left it behind. Good to be back with uninterrupted internet; I had forgotten how cut off la isla grande still is however hauntingly spell binding my ex home remains.

Huddersfield, now that is a name to bring us all back to earth with a bang and a wallop. One might not find a more solidly industrial English name anywhere and how large an influence the town played in our heritage and world dominance. 

Oderesfelt was mentioned in the Domesday Book, not much surprise there, but it purportedly dates back some 4,000 years according to the studious fellows at the University of Huddersfield. One can survey modern day Huddersfield from Castle Hill a monument that dates from the 12th century and beyond to villages that provided wool for the mills such as Holmfirth, Meltham, Marsden and Colne Valley. Between 1760 and 1840 Huddersfield played its part in the 'Industrial Revolution' but there were detractors; the Luddites being one group who wished to disturb the mechanisation by smashing the new machinery in the Mills for fear of losing their jobs.

Deighton, Fartown, Lockwood, Newsome, Lower Houses, Brackenhall, Rastrick, Walpole and Crosland Moor to name a few; areas of the town that today many might consider full of undesirables lends an air of despair to an otherwise very important industrial heartland. Huddersfield retains some of the most important Mills in the land including Taylor and Lodge who provided the wool for the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Harold Wilson was born in Huddersfield, that alone might be sufficient for some to place the town sufficiently high in importance but others such as Gordon Kaye, Lena Kaur and footballers Cameron Jerome, Chris Kiwomya and of course Jonathan Stead.

Huddersfield Town have actually won English Football's highest prize, the 1st Division Title no less than 3 times, a famous old club and one that has, at least for now, seen its best days come and gone. In fact few can boast winning the title 3 times in a row in the early twenties but Huddersfield can and that was preceded by winning the FA Cup in 1922.

And after a long sojourn in the lower two divisions they have been rather clinging to life in the 2nd tier and would have been considered a team languishing in the lower echelons again this season which appears to be the case. So how confident would we have been of beating them at the start of the season and how so now; sentiments certainly change fast in this game and a draw would now be considered a stabilising factor on the past 2 very disappointing results just when we thought our season might be improving. I think a draw might be exactly what we achieve. 1-1.

I salute all of you making the trip today. Cheer us on to a win.

UTC

16 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Huddersfield is a large market town and is the largest settlement in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England. It is the 11th largest town in the United Kingdom with a population of 162,949 (2011 census). Halfway between Leeds and Manchester, it lies 190 miles (310 km) north of London, and 10.3 miles (16.6 km) south of Bradford, the nearest city.

Huddersfield is near the confluence of the River Colne and the River Holme. Located within the historic county boundaries of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is the largest urban area in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees and the administrative centre of the borough. The town is known for its role in the Industrial Revolution, and for being the birthplaces of rugby league, British Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson, and the international film star James Mason.

Huddersfield is a town known for sport, home to the rugby league team, Huddersfield Giants, founded in 1895, who play in the European Super League and Football League Championship football team Huddersfield Town F.C., founded in 1908. The town is home to the University of Huddersfield and the sixth form colleges Greenhead College, Kirklees College and Huddersfield New College

Huddersfield is a town of Victorian architecture. Huddersfield railway station is a Grade I listed building described by John Betjeman as 'the most splendid station façade in England' second only to St Pancras, London. The station in St George's Square was renovated at a cost of £4 million and subsequently won the Europa Nostra award for European architecture.

Huddersfield Town were the first team to win the First Division Championship three years running, under Herbert Chapman, but it doesn't count because it was before Sky Sports.

Blasphemer !!!

Now Havana had a rival , an evil looking man , called Aizoon from ' neath the hedge and he drove the spikey fans ...

Couldn't see Havantahopia or Big Tone on the thread count and thought this was my moment to pounce with my own condensed version of the match day thread.  Like the lottery, not to be, again.

Still, musings of Uddersfield.  

We won there in the Cup somewhere in the early naughties.  I was somewhat pissed off at the time because it was one of the few technical 'upsets' of the round.  We were 3rd division they were second, in old money, but it got no more media attention than every other run of the mill cup tie of the round.  I resented this.

Other Uddersfield anecdote is I worked with a bird who got a degree there.  She said it was a a wind swept shit hole with disappointing prospects for any self respecting student.

A late thought is that as a 13 year old, even then, I was tormented by the delusional few and their 200,000 pilgrimage to Wembley under John Ward.  Which they lost.  Literal words I remember from my best mate at school at the time were "A Wembley steward said we were the loudest he'd ever heard there".  I naively thought at the time "fair play".  They don't change.

Marcus Stewart subsequently signed for Udderstfield.

We sure a **** need a positive result today.

coyr

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

Putting your personal stamp on the match thread evidently involves starting every paragraph with the word Huddersfield.

Presumably you won't be doing one every week then?

48 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Putting your personal stamp on the match thread evidently involves starting every paragraph with the word Huddersfield.

Presumably you won't be doing one every week then?

It seemed appropriate to Huddersfield :noexp:

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Let's all assume that if Aizoon is quicker on the draw than Havana-lie-in on Tuesday night he won't start each paragraph with ' Huddersfield ' !

Improbable, given that we're playing Derby. Maybe I could say:

"Huddersfield excepted, Derby is England's greatest shithole..."

Archived