IGNORED

Luke Ayling

Fordy62

Evening all,

I keep reading on here that people would drop Ayling to allow Baker, Moore & Flint play together. 

He's almost progressing to some sort of forum scapegoat, granted not a scapegoat to Marlon Pack's magnitude, but a scapegoat nonetheless. 

People seem to forget the countless times you'll see "off the line from Ayling" this season on matchday threads. 

I also think that he provides a very good link between defence and midfield, or even defence and attack, such is his comfort on the ball. We need someone like him, they can't all be row Z types a la Flint & Baker.

I'm an Ayling fan. And I think we're better off with him! (although his facial hair could do with some work). 

My only criticism of him (and I`m a huge fan of his BTW) is that he does tend to get caught upfield after his runs forward and gives them a free run at that side. Personally I`d like to see him tried in midfield with a proper RB/RWB in the side but I guess if we did that, what would we do with Eliott Bennett?

Agree about the facial hair though.

I don't think many if any are turning him into a scapegoat, but thank god (or Aden Flint) that his nievely foolish challenge didn't cost us as much as it could have done. 

I'm a fan a Luke Ayling, after initial doubts, and he's decent enough but certainly needs to learn from yesterday's mistake. 

Mind you, had Pack not let their midfielder just stroll up the pitch unchallenged...! 

34 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

My only criticism of him (and I`m a huge fan of his BTW) is that he does tend to get caught upfield after his runs forward and gives them a free run at that side. Personally I`d like to see him tried in midfield with a proper RB/RWB in the side but I guess if we did that, what would we do with Eliott Bennett?

Agree about the facial hair though.

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't think many if any are turning him into a scapegoat, but thank god (or Aden Flint) that his nievely foolish challenge didn't cost us as much as it could have done. 

I'm a fan a Luke Ayling, after initial doubts, and he's decent enough but certainly needs to learn from yesterday's mistake. 

Mind you, had Pack not let their midfielder just stroll up the pitch unchallenged...! 

Spot on the system should be if a defender ventures into an attacking position either Smith or Pack should drop into his position and if they fail to do so that is their mistake.

and for the record I thought the Huddersfield penalty was rather soft as well.

Although Ayling has made the odd mistake, I think he's one of the players who's adapted well to life in The Championship.  For someone who can't defend, has no pace, gets caught on the ball etc (not my view I hasten to add), I think he's been one of our better players.

He is a key part of the way we play out from the back to allow Bennett to get width in an advanced position early in the play. Losing that, loses dome of the effectiveness of Bennett.

I'm really torn on whether you bring Baker back in for Moore or not...but not in the camp that says bring him back for Luke.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

From what i've seen he makes no more than anybody else in the team and especially compared to Pack and or Freeman.

He makes mistakes in a position where you ultimately get punished. Which someone like freeman can get away with.

He takes too many risks and like I said would play Moore in his position.

not scapegoating or having a dig, it's just my opinion 

I would prefer him in a defensive midfield role. That way if he bursts upfield ( which I love to see as no-one else seems to try it) and loses it we have cover behind him. Many have suggested in the past that we try Moore as RCB and Ayling in place of Pack. However SC has never tried it yet so I doubt we will ever find out if it would work.

When he plays as a centre back he's great. When he waddles forward as if he's Ronaldo, he costs the team big time.

But you gotta love Luke Ayling. His attitude is brilliant and he seems a great character who always tries his best and is one of the most passionate and likeable players we've had in a while.

Not scapegoating Ayling at all but he cost us a penalty and almost three points right at the end on Saturday. Luckily Frank stepped up to the plate with a great match winning save (albeit the kid should have buried it but that's not Frank's issue, he did what he had to do). If he's had a bad game or two then people are entitled to put that opinion across. No different for any player.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Not scapegoating Ayling at all but he cost us a penalty and almost three points right at the end on Saturday. Luckily Frank stepped up to the plate with a great match winning save (albeit the kid should have buried it but that's not Frank's issue, he did what he had to do). If he's had a bad game or two then people are entitled to put that opinion across. No different for any player.

I think Luke's weak points are outweighed by the positives he brings to the team.

It is easy to say whoever is the last line of defence,  be it the defender or the goalie, "cost" a goal,  but the ball was usually given away up the pitch by someone else and the attack usually bypasses a number of other players.

Not saying this was the case with this penalty here, but always worth people bearing that in mind. 

3 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

Is Liam Moore much taller than Ayling? I wouldn't have thought so..

Fair enough, same height if wiki is to be trusted. Always had Ayling down as being about 5'10, playing alongside Flinty probably makes him seem smaller! Moore is a big lad physically though, I'd fancy him to handle big strikers, like Ishmael Miller from Saturday, better in the air.

22 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Spot on, aside from getting caught out losing possession high up the pitch from time to time. Ayling's other weakness is a lack of pace with someone running at him. The pen Saturday was perfect illustration of that, but indeed only happened 'cos their man strolled past Pack as though he was not there and Pack too has not got the pace to track back once someone has gone passed him.

What Ayling does do better than any of our other CBs is bringing the ball out and providing that linkage, (as long as he does not overdo it and get caught out), his positional cover is also generally good hence why he has cleared a few off the line. For me he would look at lot better with a stronger CM in front of him :-)

Archived