IGNORED

Robin badge

Project Nibor

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Our current badge has been our badge ever since I have been a City fan so unfortunately I'm attached to the crest.

I agree. However, I don't feel it represents City as a club that much. I think improvements can be made! 

29 minutes ago, Lew-T said:
9 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Whilst I'm happy for the Robin to come back in the badge, please don't use the old design, it looked really poor in my opinion, like a child's drawing and not a very good one, it needs to be revamped and look way more professional than it used too, until then stick to what we have which after all is the original badge

There's a few versions like the 70's one or 90's one. The campaign is more about the concept of the bridge Robin & ball rather than a particular design.

48 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I agree. However, I don't feel it represents City as a club that much. I think improvements can be made! 

It doesn't in some ways, but it does the whole city; We are Bristol City after all. It gives off a 'one team in Bristol' vibe and that's fine by me. And IMO it looks like a proper badge.

One part of the petition really confused me. 

"The Gas (Bristol Rovers) have as much claim to this badge as we do and we do not need a symbol that represents all of Bristol including Easton, Eastville, Fishponds and Horfield which is historically Bristol Rovers fc territory".

Should we change our name as well because it represents part of Bristol that is Rovers territory?

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

One part of the petition really confused me. 

"The Gas (Bristol Rovers) have as much claim to this badge as we do and we do not need a symbol that represents all of Bristol including Easton, Eastville, Fishponds and Horfield which is historically Bristol Rovers fc territory".

Should we change our name as well because it represents part of Bristol that is Rovers territory?

That's called clutching at straws for a reason...

We should also all jump off the suspension bridge because we are from the same city as people who support rovers.

Far prefer the current one, people who grew up with the 80's one will probably prefer it for nostalgic reasons but the badge we currently have is the real badge of bristol city.

As with many things those wanting the Robin badge back will probably shout loudest to try and create the illusion that they are the majority.

1 hour ago, JM91 said:

Far prefer the current one, people who grew up with the 80's one will probably prefer it for nostalgic reasons but the badge we currently have is the real badge of bristol city.

As with many things those wanting the Robin badge back will probably shout loudest to try and create the illusion that they are the majority.

Think the tone of your second sentence is unnecessarily condescending, and speaking as somebody not that bothered, is more likely to make me shout louder in favour of the robin.

Anyway you are incorrect, preference for the robin is not nostalgia as both have been used interchangeably over the years. Its more that the robin - and variations of it - is identified as unique to Bristol City.

Most clubs started with their crest being the coat of arms of their city, as we have currently, but over the years many changed to something more identifiable with their club, so that today most clubs have something other than the city coat of arms.

The robin was first used by City in the 50's, briefly changed back to the traditional design, and back to the robin from the 70's onwards. For many years the shirt did not even carry a crest. Bristol City are unusual in that they reverted to the city coat of arms.

Identity is everything when it comes to the sometimes irrational allegiance to football clubs and it is simply incorrect to say that the current badge as used is the "real" badge of Bristol City.

The stories behind football clubs crests, colours and nicknames is a mildly interesting lesson in local social history which for anyone so inclined might want to have a look at this:

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/foreword/

The current one is far too generic

Robin said it was City, simple as that. For the person who said it was 'cartoonish', I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to create one that doesn't look that way

Robin was the badge when I started going down, it was the badge I remember City having as a top flight club. Right now we could be Burnley, Bury or Huddersfield, who all use the same awful, generic badges. Give me something that tells me it's Bristol City

I'm so fed up of hearing about the Robin badge, we are called Bristol City, the coat of arms we use is for the City of Bristol, yet we want a Robin badge back? There are eight teams called the Robins including us so I fail to see why we're so hungry to see it back as our badge. You have Altrincham, Bracknell Town, ourselves, Charlton, Cheltenham, Evesham, Ilkeston and Swindon who are all called the Robins. What's so wrong about being called Bristol City and just using the Robin on the kit in some other manner?
The crazy thing is when clubs try to rebrand using their nicknames the most common repsonse is pointing out how cringe-worthy it is like when Hull were trying to rebrand as "The Tigers". If tomorrow we had the badge changed to the Robin and then the board said "well we may as well go full rebrand and change the team name is Bristol Robins" people would go apesh*t at them. I love the Robin, it's a nice touch on top of the club name and it looks nice when incorporated into our kit or merchandise but for the love of god please can we stop wanting to be less generic by changing our badge to our very generic nickname?

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Roma have two badges.

Lots of possibility there.

The Robin, Pride of the West, 1976's perms and moustaches.

The Crest of Bristol representing George Ferguson and a ship Captained by an Italian which will get lost and end up in America.

I agree. Never understood our good City's love in for Giovanni.

29 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm so fed up of hearing about the Robin badge, we are called Bristol City, the coat of arms we use is for the City of Bristol, yet we want a Robin badge back? There are eight teams called the Robins including us so I fail to see why we're so hungry to see it back as our badge. You have Altrincham, Bracknell Town, ourselves, Charlton, Cheltenham, Evesham, Ilkeston and Swindon who are all called the Robins. What's so wrong about being called Bristol City and just using the Robin on the kit in some other manner?
The crazy thing is when clubs try to rebrand using their nicknames the most common repsonse is pointing out how cringe-worthy it is like when Hull were trying to rebrand as "The Tigers". If tomorrow we had the badge changed to the Robin and then the board said "well we may as well go full rebrand and change the team name is Bristol Robins" people would go apesh*t at them. I love the Robin, it's a nice touch on top of the club name and it looks nice when incorporated into our kit or merchandise but for the love of god please can we stop wanting to be less generic by changing our badge to our very generic nickname?

Bracknell Town play in the Hellenic Football League which covers levels 9 and 10 on the football pyramid.

And don't Altrincham and Cheltenham play at the same godforsaken level as The Gas last season?

Semi pro Evesham are in div one south and west of the Southern League (level 7 and 8 on the football pyramid) and aren't Ilkeston in the Northern Premier League? So we are hardly going to be mistaken for these very non league clubs.

Charlton are the Addicks or the Valiants, Swindon were originally known as The Railwaymen and Cheltenham were originally known as The Rubies. Yep, I know that we were known as The Bristol Babes but our Robins nickname can be traced back to 1926.

Oh, and your googling missed out Wrexham who also used to be called The Robins but they changed to The Red Dragons.

For me this isn't so much about the nickname, it's about a clear and recognisable identity.

Our current badge has been used by Gloucestershire CC, The Gas and Bristol Rugby. So what is so wrong with having one we can call our own and one that is obviously and instantly recognisable as ours?

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

Think the tone of your second sentence is unnecessarily condescending, and speaking as somebody not that bothered, is more likely to make me shout louder in favour of the robin.

Anyway you are incorrect, preference for the robin is not nostalgia as both have been used interchangeably over the years. Its more that the robin - and variations of it - is identified as unique to Bristol City.

Most clubs started with their crest being the coat of arms of their city, as we have currently, but over the years many changed to something more identifiable with their club, so that today most clubs have something other than the city coat of arms.

The robin was first used by City in the 50's, briefly changed back to the traditional design, and back to the robin from the 70's onwards. For many years the shirt did not even carry a crest. Bristol City are unusual in that they reverted to the city coat of arms.

Identity is everything when it comes to the sometimes irrational allegiance to football clubs and it is simply incorrect to say that the current badge as used is the "real" badge of Bristol City.

The stories behind football clubs crests, colours and nicknames is a mildly interesting lesson in local social history which for anyone so inclined might want to have a look at this:

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/foreword/

Not remotely condescending, just pointing out that 1,100 signitures in 3 years should be interpreted as those in favour of the Robin being the badge are very much in the minority (despite how loudly they shout about it).

we have sporadically worn the coat of arms over our history, including in the 1909 FA cup final and it has been the most used badge, in fact the original Robin was just a marketing gimic on entry to the top division (i.e a marketing tool as no club can take ownership of a coat of arms)!  Imagine the reaction if Bristol Sport tried to introduce a new badge now?  Total and utter rejection would be the result.

I also find the argument that it would be unique to be strange.  Granted a lot of teams wear their city's coat of arms, but how many use a mascot as their logo? 

Just using the bird & ball elements, we have Liverpool, Tottenham, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Swansea, Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff,Bradford, Walsall, Scarborough, Notts County, Wimbledon and Wycombe ... and that's not even mentioning any of the other animals/mascots on various teams badges.  Even aside from that it has been pointed out how many teams are nicknamed "the robins".

If it's a marker of identity that is being sought then surely we should also seek to get away from the Red and White colours?  lots of teams wear red and white and they are not unique colours.

• Admin
9 hours ago, JM91 said:

Interesting view

How is it the "Real" badge of Bristol City?

As for the second sentence rather strange comment on a forum - sounds like you have issues about something?

My concern with the current badge it's not really reflective of our club it's nothing unique - we've seen many top sides acknowledge the marketing side of having a unique badge over the past years, maybe there is something more to do. To just blow it out of the water without discussion maybe isn't the correct thing to do either.

2 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Roma have two badges.

Lots of possibility there.

The Robin, Pride of the West, 1976's perms and moustaches.

The Crest of Bristol representing George Ferguson and a ship Captained by an Italian which will get lost and end up in America.

Wrong. Unlike Columbus, Cabot knew where he was going. There was enough fishing on the Newfoundland Banks for British sailors to know that there was land there.

Archived