IGNORED

John Cleese City Tweet

westonred

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Far too many people don't know what being racist means. Someone who is racist believes one race is inferior to another. Not being able to pronounce the surnames of people from certain countries doesn't mean that you believe these people are inferior. 

OH I don't know even now I have trouble with names like Jones,Davies,Edwards and the like.

I find the fact that the vast majority of Premiership squads are packed full of foreign imports, just here to take the money with no affinity with the local area, the Club they represent and, by their presence in such huge numbers, damaging the national side by inhibiting the development of our own youngsters mildly offensive too.  

Stuff the Premiership. It has no interest to me as an English League and English national team follower.  The old English Division 1 has been hijacked by greedy money men and developed as an elitist 'global league' just to swell their own coffers/egos. From season 2016/17 the combined effect of the £billion TV package, FFP and parachute payments now means that this exclusive club of largely foreign players, managers and owners have effectively protected themselves from being 'gate crashed' by any non-member drawn from the rest of the English League pyramid. 

The next evolutionary phase of this 'product' will be exporting games abroad as part of a global branding. Fine if you want that 'product' but to have hijacked my sport, hopes and aspirations for my Club and national side in creating it - yes, I am resentful. From next season, a glass ceiling will be created and our chances of breaking through will now be remote. 

Not sure whether this view could be classified as 'racist', more 'anti-global capitalist' I would have thought. 

Before any Gas says this is hypocritical with SL's money, the thing is he's a local lad 'done good', who wants to put something back into his local club for the benefit of the local area. In any event we're subject to FFP and, personally, I wouldn't have a problem with FFP if it wasn't for the fact that Premiership money now totally distorts the market. 

... and to think Mr Scudamore is a Bristol City fan and has been a main player in creating this monster! 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

I saw that tweet and thought brilliant, more high profile City supporters openly declaring their support for us rather than pledging allegiance to ManU or Arse.

Then read the comments from his 'followers'. Truly, what a sad lot of Guardian-reading, politically hyper-sensitive individuals follow him. These people  must trawl the net trying to sham offence at what celebrities post. Unbelievable Jeff. If this is what is now being defined as 'racism' what a sad place this world has become. They'll probably want to ban names like, Smith, Jones and Davies soon for fear of upsetting non-natives! Frightening that these people are given a vote.

Was going to tweet a response but, frankly, I'd get more sense out of a dead parrot than engaging with that lot. 

Apparently they're known to some as 'GROLIES'.

That's Guardian Readers Of Limited Intelligence In Ethnic Skirts...

41 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Far too many people don't know what being racist means. Someone who is racist believes one race is inferior to another. Not being able to pronounce the surnames of people from certain countries doesn't mean that you believe these people are inferior. 

That sort of sums it up.

The Ukrainian receptionist in the German hotel I stayed in couldn't work out my perfectly ordinary English surname.  I let her get on first name terms ;)

Racism is stuff like the EDF, Cleese's perfectly reasonable opinion that following a team that on Saturday started with 10 Englishmen and a Frenchman is more likely to be one that cheers a real supporter rather than a team comprised of barely an English speaker let alone an Englishman, like so many current Premiership squads...

2 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Even the commentators seem to pronounce players names differently from week to week,racist b*******.

Remember that away day when we had Coal-ay Skew-say turning out for us?  Jiggered if I can remember where we were though.  Must be the beard affecting my memory

2 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

I saw that tweet and thought brilliant, more high profile City supporters openly declaring their support for us rather than pledging allegiance to ManU or Arse.

Then read the comments from his 'followers'. Truly, what a sad lot of Guardian-reading, politically hyper-sensitive individuals follow him. These people  must trawl the net trying to sham offence at what celebrities post. Unbelievable Jeff. If this is what is now being defined as 'racism' what a sad place this world has become. They'll probably want to ban names like, Smith, Jones and Davies soon for fear of upsetting non-natives! Frightening that these people are given a vote.

Was going to tweet a response but, frankly, I'd get more sense out of a dead parrot than engaging with that lot. 

It seems that most people posting and "following" (WTF?) on Twitter, are bona fide arsewipes.

2 hours ago, Calculus said:

Apparently they're known to some as 'GROLIES'.

That's Guardian Readers Of Limited Intelligence In Ethnic Skirts...

Hang on........ not only do I sport a beard and I'm an idiot, but I also have a kilt (Campbeltown Weekend Fighting Tartan) so I seriously think I'm being picked on here

5 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

I find the fact that the vast majority of Premiership squads are packed full of foreign imports, just here to take the money with no affinity with the local area, the Club they represent and, by their presence in such huge numbers, damaging the national side by inhibiting the development of our own youngsters mildly offensive too.  

Stuff the Premiership. It has no interest to me as an English League and English national team follower.  The old English Division 1 has been hijacked by greedy money men and developed as an elitist 'global league' just to swell their own coffers/egos. From season 2016/17 the combined effect of the £billion TV package, FFP and parachute payments now means that this exclusive club of largely foreign players, managers and owners have effectively protected themselves from being 'gate crashed' by any non-member drawn from the rest of the English League pyramid. 

The next evolutionary phase of this 'product' will be exporting games abroad as part of a global branding. Fine if you want that 'product' but to have hijacked my sport, hopes and aspirations for my Club and national side in creating it - yes, I am resentful. From next season, a glass ceiling will be created and our chances of breaking through will now be remote. 

Not sure whether this view could be classified as 'racist', more 'anti-global capitalist' I would have thought. 

Before any Gas says this is hypocritical with SL's money, the thing is he's a local lad 'done good', who wants to put something back into his local club for the benefit of the local area. In any event we're subject to FFP and, personally, I wouldn't have a problem with FFP if it wasn't for the fact that Premiership money now totally distorts the market. 

... and to think Mr Scudamore is a Bristol City fan and has been a main player in creating this monster! 

I even went to the same school as Scudamore. As far as I'm concerned he's a black mark on what the school has produced. 

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Racism is stuff like the EDF, Cleese's perfectly reasonable opinion that following a team that on Saturday started with 10 Englishmen and a Frenchman is more likely to be one that cheers a real supporter rather than a team comprised of barely an English speaker let alone an Englishman, like so many current Premiership squads...

EDL surely, Gray?  

EDF is a French electricity company.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

EDL surely, Gray?  

EDF is a French electricity company.

He's right. Bloody French coming over and stealing our electricity.

It'll be our water next .... what's that, they've got our water and gas as well.  Is nothing sacred? 

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

He's right. Bloody French coming over and stealing our electricity.

It'll be our water next .... what's that, they've got our water and gas as well.  Is nothing sacred? 

At least we have our own nuclear power..... oh, hang on....!

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Quite right , Cleese's comments just note , with a little humour , that we have n't gone down the route of signing masses of overseas players .

He seems to prefer that most of our players are homegrown from the British Isles .

His choice .

17 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Racist :ph34r:

No. This week I'm told that 'black' is back in but 'coloured' is definitely out. 

It was 'racist' last week and probably will be next week though.

I've concluded that there is a whole sector of society - those who determine which words are 'racist' or not - who just like the feeling of being smug and superior by calling other people 'racists'.

As Mr Cleese has found, even an inability to pronounce surnames is apparently 'racist' nowadays. I've always like the Welsh but I must be 'racist' against them as I can't remember, let alone pronounce that railway station in North Wales! 

Strange world we live in. 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

No. This week I'm told that 'black' is back in but 'coloured' is definitely out. 

It was 'racist' last week and probably will be next week though.

I've concluded that there is a whole sector of society - those who determine which words are 'racist' or not - who just like the feeling of being smug and superior by calling other people 'racists'.

As Mr Cleese has found, even an inability to pronounce surnames is apparently 'racist' nowadays. I've always like the Welsh but I must be 'racist' against them as I can't remember, let alone pronounce that railway station in North Wales! 

Strange world we live in. 

Funny you should mention that, Moor

Had the conversation with Mrs Woodsy last night after I commented on how I liked an actor in something we were watching......I went for black, Mrs Woodsy said it should be coloured. We've been round this a thousand times on here, I don't think we came to a conclusion on the last convo about it!

Where did you read / hear that coloured is out??

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

Funny you should mention that, Moor

Had the conversation with Mrs Woodsy last night after I commented on how I liked an actor in something we were watching......I went for black, Mrs Woodsy said it should be coloured. We've been round this a thousand times on here, I don't think we came to a conclusion on the last convo about it!

Where did you read / hear that coloured is out??

Some TV personality used it and was absolutely lambasted by the PC brigade, issued a grovelling apology loads of my friends are black statement etc, etc

23 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Some TV personality used it and was absolutely lambasted by the PC brigade, issued a grovelling apology loads of my friends are black statement etc, etc

Ha, brilliant. Love those kind of apologies

I heard something yesterday, apparently Lenny Henry is now a Sir, well deserved for his charity work. I'm told that ITV news ran a piece on it, but showed a pic of Ainsley Harriott, surely that's not right?

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Ha, brilliant. Love those kind of apologies

I heard something yesterday, apparently Lenny Henry is now a Sir, well deserved for his charity work. I'm told that ITV news ran a piece on it, but showed a pic of Ainsley Harriott, surely that's not right?

Tis true. two peas in a pod they are!

Archived