IGNORED

John Cleese City Tweet

westonred

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Funny you should mention that, Moor

Had the conversation with Mrs Woodsy last night after I commented on how I liked an actor in something we were watching......I went for black, Mrs Woodsy said it should be coloured. We've been round this a thousand times on here, I don't think we came to a conclusion on the last convo about it!

Where did you read / hear that coloured is out??

Think you will find 'coloured' has been 'out' in politically correct circles for donkies Woodsy 

TBF most friends I have form West Indian Heritage say they are 'Black' and don't like 'coloured' but I agree it's hard sometimes to keep up with what the current correct terminology should be !

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think you will find 'coloured' has been 'out' in politically correct circles for donkies Woodsy 

TBF most friends I have form West Indian Heritage say they are 'Black' and don't like 'coloured' but I agree it's hard sometimes to keep up with what the current correct terminology should be !

Coloured seemed to be the in word for a while, or PC, at least. I seem to remember it being around when I was a kid too

My black friends are just that, black. That's what they say, so that's good enough for me!

23 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Far too many people don't know what being racist means. Someone who is racist believes one race is inferior to another. Not being able to pronounce the surnames of people from certain countries doesn't mean that you believe these people are inferior. 

While I fully agree with that statement, it's not really what John Cleese is saying - or at least implying.

That would be "I still support them, and I can pronounce the names of most of the players". A coincidental observation.

Because he said "I still support them, as I can pronounce the names of most of the players", it's implying he would not do so could he not pronounce them, which therefore suggests actively changing his behaviour/allegiance based on their country of origin.

Now, of course it's an absolute nonsense that anyone is remotely bothered by his tweet, but I assume that is the nuance against which people are protesting.

As far as the coloured/black thing goes, I've always thought coloured wasn't acceptable, and that's because to describe someone as "coloured" implies that there is also a "pure" look that has not been "coloured" by something else. At least that's how I've understood it.

Describing someone as "black" is simply fact, as is describing anyone as "white". "Coloured" doesn't have that clear an alternative... it just suggests that they are the different ones, as opposed to coexisting.

Anyway, it's about time Cleese got down the Gate and threw the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch about in the changing room. That should get us up the table.

Archived