IGNORED

Steve IS the right man!

TheCulturalBomb

For me it is the players. Steve came in and saved us from a potential relegation to league 2, then took the League 1 title by storm. His formation and tactics worked perfectly, stemming from his years travelling watching football and getting a new lease of life on management on football.

We need the players now to take us to the next level, we need to spend the money like we did before our title winning season (not quite money but clever buys), buy players proven in the league and make sure they can play in Steve's style of play. He isn't sinking the ship, the players are doing that for themselves. Atm he is making tactical decisions with players that cannot cope in this league.

However SOME of his methods are bad, playing players out of form and making awful substitutions at wrong times.

I'm with you. No manager is perfect and Cotts has his faults, but this is not a situation in which he can be fairly judged. We're all in agreement he didn't have the correct backing, so we have to cut him some slack in his assessment. People can argue, well, it's not about loyalty (or what we 'owe' him), it's about results, but fact is there are seemingly very few managers who would be willing to come here, who could improve the team, and could get them performing to a much higher standard.

I just hope to God Cotts has 2-3 good targets lined up for Jan (he HAS to). IF he has, then I firmly believe we will steadily improve and solidly avoid relegation.

2 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

First time this season I have seen a team we have played and not one of our players would get in their starting 11 ???? Or even squad .... Possibly korey on the bench !!! That is where we are in comparison to derby !!!

Totally agree but suggest you could say same about MK and Sheff Weds tonight 

1 minute ago, robin4ever said:

First time this season I have seen a team we have played and not one of our players would get in their starting 11 ???? Or even squad .... Possibly korey on the bench !!! That is where we are in comparison to derby !!!

Love the optimism and ambition.  You should join Cotts on a motivational speaking tour of Slough.

34 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'm with you. No manager is perfect and Cotts has his faults, but this is not a situation in which he can be fairly judged. We're all in agreement he didn't have the correct backing, so we have to cut him some slack in his assessment. People can argue, well, it's not about loyalty (or what we 'owe' him), it's about results, but fact is there are seemingly very few managers who would be willing to come here, who could improve the team, and could get them performing to a much higher standard.

I just hope to God Cotts has 2-3 good targets lined up for Jan (he HAS to). IF he has, then I firmly believe we will steadily improve and solidly avoid relegation.

With respect...can you tell me how SC didn't have the 'correct backing'?

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Were they? I don't know cos they always sent me to sleep

Maybe we don't share an interest for football then, football clichés send me to sleep and Cotts loves a few of them. SOD would talk in detail about how a game had panned out which intrigued me way more. 

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

SOD's interviews were infinitely more interesting than Cotts'. 

NOT - SOD every interview -  "its all about doing the right things at the right times" :laugh: - give over!

Cotts has passion and if anyone subscribes to BCFC Player, tonights interview (albeit short) will show that. You can see it.

No point changing a manager that will do well in League 1 next season which is where we will be if results continue and with the current crop of players a new manager will have no difference on whether we stay up this season. Stick... 

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Maybe we don't share an interest for football then, football clichés send me to sleep and Cotts loves a few of them. SOD would talk in detail about how a game had panned out which intrigued me way more. 

Panned out being quite apt. As most under him went straight down the pan.

Knowing the theory isn't much good if you can't put it into practice. 

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Fair enough but sadly SOD's 'genius' knowledge of the game didn't translate to the football pitch. In fact, with the exception of maybe one good season with Doncaster, it never has

31 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Del Boy always used to make me laugh. Every game without fail win draw or lose and he still does it at Aberdeen he says, We didn't ask enough questions if we lost or drew and if we won he said we asked all the right questions. Sometimes he would also throw in we didn't answer all the questions asked of us.

Gents, I've had enough,I'm red though and though but after traveling to Detby and having a great night amongst friends,  but watching the biggest load of rubbish I've witnessed as a city supporter and player I must comment !

Cotts sets us up as a very defensive 4-5-1, with four centre halves, two defensive wing backs, two holding midfielders and a crap goal keeper. 

Agard is isolated when we get possession, Freeman, still the best creative player in the side has no one to pass to when moving forward, we have centre halves threatened in possession, Smith tackling bravely in the middle, and Pack playing sideways and backwards when we have the opportunity to hurt the opposition. 

Honestly, after a three hour journey this proformsnc even was embarrassing,

Cottrell must be resting players for the games at home next weekend and over xmas as the team today was pathetic, I'm an ex-pro, and that proformance was embarrassing !!!!

At four nil there wasn't any fight or embarrassment at the score, it was along the the same line as the defeat at home against Blackburn a few weekends ago where they accepted the inevitible and just rolled over and accepted the final coming result.

Flint, Freeman and Smith are the exception, but where are the leaders. Fielding is

rubbish, he drived out the way of two goals this evening and the Derby crowd were even singing his name, "there's only one Franky Fielding !" as he was so bad !

Come on guys, grow some balls, it's easy when you are winning, but it's tougher when you are losing, so stand up and give us the football you are capable of, believe in what got you promoted, ditch the 70 year old Wilbraham up front, get some legs up front, and get a midfielder, another forward and am centre half in January window !

Come on Mr Lansdown, I appreciate every penny of your own money you've invested in my club and ever Red in Bristol club but this squad isn't good or big enough.

It's really hard to get out of a division and easier to stay in a league so invest now to suffer the embarrassment of an empty 26,000 all seats stadium in Division 3 !!!!

5 minutes ago, Chris Honor said:

Gents, I've had enough,I'm red though and though but after traveling to Detby and having a great night amongst friends,  but watching the biggest load of rubbish I've witnessed as a city supporter and player I must comment !

Cotts sets us up as a very defensive 4-5-1, with four centre halves, two defensive wing backs, two holding midfielders and a crap goal keeper. 

Agard is isolated when we get possession, Freeman, still the best creative player in the side has no one to pass to when moving forward, we have centre halves threatened in possession, Smith tackling bravely in the middle, and Pack playing sideways and backwards when we have the opportunity to hurt the opposition. 

Cottrell must be resting players for the games at home next weekend and over xmas as the team today was pathetic, I'm an ex-pro, and that proformance was embarrassing !!!!

At four nil there wasn't any fight or embarrassment at the score, it was along the the same line as the defeat at home against Blackburn a few weekends ago where they accepted the inevitible and just rolled over and accepted the final coming result.

Flint, Freeman and Smith are the exception, but where are the leaders. Fielding is

rubbish, he drived out the way of two goals this evening and the Derby crowd were even singing his name, "there's only one Franky Fielding !" as he was so bad !

Come on guys, grow some balls, it's easy when you are winning, but it's tougher when you are losing, so stand up and give us the football you are capable of, believe in what got you promoted, ditch the 70 year old Wilbraham up front, get some legs up front, and get a midfielder, another forward and am centre half in January window !

Come on Mr Lansdown, I appreciate every penny of your own money you've invested in my club and ever Red in Bristol club but this squad isn't good or big enough.

It's really hard to get out of a division and easier to stay in a league so invest now to suffer the embarrassment of an empty 26,000 all seats stadium in Division 3 !!!!

Sounds like a good summary of a very badly conceived experiment, Chris. 

Feel sorry for you had to witness it in person. It was bad enough on the radio!

52 minutes ago, Chris Honor said:

Nice to hear the view from a former player.

7 hours ago, Chris Honor said:

7 hours ago, Chris Honor said:

Will be interesting to see if all the usual suspects , Nick J and co slate the poster here as they do when anyone dares suggest anything isn't too good - and suggest such posters are talking ********

Is an ex player / pros view valid gents ?

Respect for going - Was Interesting to hear your views CH. ( although they reinforce my concerns )

I would rather get rid of some of the under performing players either to the sub bench or transferred out than sack the manager. Season has been littered with players making errors or not able to step up a division. Transfer window was a disaster, but although I have no knowledge believe this was more due to others behind the scene. Getting the players in Jan window will now be much harder and expensive, but we must replace several who or are not good enough or up for the fight.

No matter what happens this season I would stick with SC who at least cares about the club,  shows passion and knows the area. I don't always agree with all he does but do believe he is a good manage and the right one for bcfc.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 07:53, BobBobSuperBob said:

Will be interesting to see if all the usual suspects , Nick J and co slate the poster here as they do when anyone dares suggest anything isn't too good - and suggest such posters are talking ********

Is an ex player / pros view valid gents ?

Respect for going - Was Interesting to hear your views CH. ( although they reinforce my concerns )

My response to this.

Why would I slate the poster - he hasn't said anything particularly derogatory against Cotterill.

If you examine the post, its mainly the players he is criticizing.

If you examine my posts, I rarely comment on performances of players, but for various reasons I do comment on attacks against the manager.

One other thing, of course an ex pros view is valid. Fair play to Chris, he has the balls to come on here and say very directly what he thinks under his real name.

The question is, are my views less valid because I am not an ex pro?

And are your views any more valid than mine because you claim as an anonymous poster to have had a former association within the game?

I detest posts which just slate our manager or players. It's counter productive to what we all want; they are bound to look on here and will not be human if they are not affected by it, particularly if they are giving everything for the shirt and to us fans, which I believe every single one of them are. Watch the Sunderland player that lumbered out towards de Bruyne yesterday, we haven't got anyone that has thrown in the towel like that.

If you read Chris' post, there is an element of constructiveness, hope and encouragement - "Come on guys......stand up and give us the football you are capable of, believe in what got you promoted....".

I don't necessarily agree entirely with the sentiment, because in my view we are playing fantastic football at times and luck is not going our way, but yes I accept its also being undone too regularly by individual mistakes and naivety.

But both the players and manager are trying their 100% best IMO and so long as they do that they have my 100% support.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 22:59, TheCulturalBomb said:

For me it is the players. Steve came in and saved us from a potential relegation to league 2, then took the League 1 title by storm. His formation and tactics worked perfectly, stemming from his years travelling watching football and getting a new lease of life on management on football.

We need the players now to take us to the next level, we need to spend the money like we did before our title winning season (not quite money but clever buys), buy players proven in the league and make sure they can play in Steve's style of play. He isn't sinking the ship, the players are doing that for themselves. Atm he is making tactical decisions with players that cannot cope in this league.

However SOME of his methods are bad, playing players out of form and making awful substitutions at wrong times.

your last paragraph is the reason we will go down with SC. I have changed my opinion, since start of December he seems to got more stubborn and more rigid. His refusal to use substitutes is criminal. The Simon cox saga is embarrassing, the list could go on.

Archived