IGNORED

BIG INTERVIEW WITH SL ON SATURDAY

leadman

Either he sacks cotts on sunday(if we lose) or backs him with enough money to get us clear of the relegation zone.

we did look like we were going in the right direction, then 3 out 4 dreadful performances and the cotts out threads are back.

there is no doubt the poor recruitment in the summer and loanees not performing is the reason behind it, we just thought that we were better than we actually were and TBH  I can understand that after last season.

please either sack him or back him but let us know.

3 hours ago, leadman said:

Either he sacks cotts on sunday(if we lose) or backs him with enough money to get us clear of the relegation zone.

we did look like we were going in the right direction, then 3 out 4 dreadful performances and the cotts out threads are back.

there is no doubt the poor recruitment in the summer and loanees not performing is the reason behind it, we just thought that we were better than we actually were and TBH  I can understand that after last season.

please either sack him or back him but let us know.

Where's and when's the interview? Radio B? 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If it's on Radio Bristol we will probably learn that SL likes two sugars in his tea , has a Labrador called Chuck and is looking forward to Christmas .' Needle point ' journalism.

and if he has a go at 'Geoff's Quest' every day?

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He'd never say ' in any circumstances ' , if Cotts rogered the Robin mascot in the centre circle at Ashton Gate during the match he'd , at least get a talking to and perhaps a first warning . 

Quite right too - he's not supposed to leave his technical area during a match.

It may be interesting, and I hope it is, but there will be no hints as to whom City may try to sign in January, or Cotts future.  I think Geoff Twentyman should follow the example of Jeremy Corbyn on Prime Ministers Questions on Wednesdays, and read questions that he has been sent.  (If you don't watch PMQs, you should as it's the best comedy show on TV)

If Geoff read this post, here his my question:

"Steve, Pongo from Bristol has a burning issues he wants you to resolve.  Where are his food vouchers?"

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It may be interesting, and I hope it is, but there will be no hints as to whom City may try to sign in January, or Cotts future.  I think Geoff Twentyman should follow the example of Jeremy Corbyn on Prime Ministers Questions on Wednesdays, and read questions that he has been sent.  (If you don't watch PMQs, you should as it's the best comedy show on TV)

If Geoff read this post, here his my question:

"Steve, Pongo from Bristol has a burning issues he wants you to resolve.  Where are his food vouchers?"

GT may request questions, means he can ask difficult questions without the possible awkwardness of them coming directly from him.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Let's hope GT asks him questions that we all want to ask him especially about the disaster of the transfer activities last summer.

As much as we'd like to get to the bottom of this I doubt, even if the questions are asked (and I'm expecting them to be very watered down if indeed they are) they will be commented on due to the fact we are just about to enter another window.

For those who will be unable to tune in to RB on Saturday I can exclusively reveal Steve Lansdowns answers to the questions:

GT: Well Steve, how do think the season is going - is it a lot tougher then you expected?

SL: We knew it would be a tough challenge Geoff, more than half of the teams have parachute payments and wage budgets far in excess of ours but we will give it everything and going forward we're all working to stay in this league and going forward build from there. 

GT: A lot of my callers are pointing to the fact that only one permanent signing was made in the summer resulting in a squad too small and lacking championship experience. Why was this and whose fault was it?

SL: It's no one's fault Geoff, we all worked very hard to strengthen the squad but for one reason or another we couldn't get the deals done for some of the players we had identified and the manager rightly was unwilling to bring anyone in unless they were going to improve the squad. We are competing against established championship teams with bigger budgets and it's very difficult if the players don't want to come. Having said that we have a very good young squad and we are not far away. Going forward we all need to unite behind the team and give them your support.

GT: Will there be money for Steve Cotterill to spend in January?

SL: My record speaks for itself, Geoff, I've always backed my managers and if they come to me with a proposal that is right for Bristol City then we will look at it - but it has to be affordable within our structure and the player must of course want to join Bristol City for the right reasons. Going forward our goal is to make Bristol City a sustainable business and I can't allow the club to slip back from the gains we've made in reducing our cost base, and of course our compliance with the FPP rules.

GT: Has a change of management been considered given the league position?

SL: Right now we're in a difficult position and we all would have liked to have been a little further up the league but the staff and players have been working very hard on and off the pitch, Now is the time for all of us to get behind the manager and players and I'm confident things will improve. Having said that Geoff my record shows that I'm not afraid to take big decisions if that is the right thing  for Bristol City, My directors and I will always make decisions for the good of the club.

GT: As we look around the stadium it's fantastic how much is changing so quickly isn't it?

SL: Yes I'm very proud of what's been achieved off the pitch and the fantastic work done by Bristol Sport and I urge all supporters to support this work by turning up in numbers and getting behind the team on the pitch.

----------------------------------------------------

• Admin
1 hour ago, RedM said:

As much as we'd like to get to the bottom of this I doubt, even if the questions are asked (and I'm expecting them to be very watered down if indeed they are) they will be commented on due to the fact we are just about to enter another window.

I don't listen to Radio Bristol as think the commentary and coverage is crap !

Has SL not done an interview since the summer?

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

SL:Right now we're in a difficult position.......Having said that Geoff my record shows that I'm not afraid to take big decisions if that is the right thing  for Bristol City, My directors and I will always make decisions for the good of the club.

I think that is pretty much spot on. Apart maybe from the last two sentences above. That is a bit too controversial for him to say in public as we all know what it is hinting at.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I don't listen to Radio Bristol as think the commentary and coverage is crap !

Has SL not done an interview since the summer?

I don't tend to listen much either and agree. I haven't heard SL for a long time though. I think everybody thought we would once the window closed, he would have been talking up our signings. We haven't heard much about Kodjia either. Instead the focus has been very much stadium redevelopment based, very little football news when you dig down. 

Quality work, Code Red, both the questions and the answers.

Anyone who expects anything more from what must be the worst sports service for any Championship team in the country is wasting their time (as you do if you listen to it).

As Cotts continually tells anyone who will listen that the current players are not good enough, Geoff Twentyman should ask SL if he's  told Cotts to attend a leadership and motivation course. There are various forms of motivation, but telling people they are pants is not one of them. 

Yes, it's following the same path that Sean O'Dreary followed when he suggested that the Club paid too much for Aden Flint.  I thought SC was a much better man manager than that.  The likes of all top class managers going right back to Brian Clough make decent but average players think they are world beaters.

On a separate issue, the Club has rarely got a gem from the lower leagues and sold the player for multi-millions.  I hope SL is quizzed by GT on the scouting set-up for lower leagues and overseas players. 

I think the best investment SL could make would be to recruit three or four of the best scouts in the country who have a proven track record of unearthing lower league gems.  Offering a sufficiently attractive salary to lure them to Ashton Gate wouldn't break the bank. It could be the best bit of business SL has done and if, quite rightly, he wants to avoid paying inflated wages and seeks to make the Club sustainable he has to go down a more enterprising path.   The lower league / Conference / overseas route is the only way to do it.  He needs quality scouts for this and, of course, a manager who embraces the strategy.  I'm not sure SC does given the apparent lack of transfer targets in league 1 and below and the unwillingness to put the likes of Burns on the bench (or play him in his preferred striker role) despite the Welsh set-up seeing something in him.

9 hours ago, CodeRed said:

For those who will be unable to tune in to RB on Saturday I can exclusively reveal Steve Lansdowns answers to the questions:

GT: Well Steve, how do think the season is going - is it a lot tougher then you expected?

SL: We knew it would be a tough challenge Geoff, more than half of the teams have parachute payments and wage budgets far in excess of ours but we will give it everything and going forward we're all working to stay in this league and going forward build from there. 

GT: A lot of my callers are pointing to the fact that only one permanent signing was made in the summer resulting in a squad too small and lacking championship experience. Why was this and whose fault was it?

SL: It's no one's fault Geoff, we all worked very hard to strengthen the squad but for one reason or another we couldn't get the deals done for some of the players we had identified and the manager rightly was unwilling to bring anyone in unless they were going to improve the squad. We are competing against established championship teams with bigger budgets and it's very difficult if the players don't want to come. Having said that we have a very good young squad and we are not far away. Going forward we all need to unite behind the team and give them your support.

GT: Will there be money for Steve Cotterill to spend in January?

SL: My record speaks for itself, Geoff, I've always backed my managers and if they come to me with a proposal that is right for Bristol City then we will look at it - but it has to be affordable within our structure and the player must of course want to join Bristol City for the right reasons. Going forward our goal is to make Bristol City a sustainable business and I can't allow the club to slip back from the gains we've made in reducing our cost base, and of course our compliance with the FPP rules.

GT: Has a change of management been considered given the league position?

SL: Right now we're in a difficult position and we all would have liked to have been a little further up the league but the staff and players have been working very hard on and off the pitch, Now is the time for all of us to get behind the manager and players and I'm confident things will improve. Having said that Geoff my record shows that I'm not afraid to take big decisions if that is the right thing  for Bristol City, My directors and I will always make decisions for the good of the club.

GT: As we look around the stadium it's fantastic how much is changing so quickly isn't it?

SL: Yes I'm very proud of what's been achieved off the pitch and the fantastic work done by Bristol Sport and I urge all supporters to support this work by turning up in numbers and getting behind the team on the pitch.

Pretty much what SL said at the Senior Reds Xmas lunch today. 

Ii

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Pretty much what SL said at the Senior Reds Xmas lunch today.

I've been a supporter since Fred Ford was manager and have seen and heard it all before many times and if Cotterill is still manager in February I will be very surprised. The trust is gone - on both sides.

SL does genuinely want and think he's doing the best for the club but he has to look around and compare his progress on the pitch with other clubs who have done much more with the same or less expenditure.

Bournemouth Norwich Swansea Watford Burnley palace Charlton wigan stoke hull and even Blackpool made it to the PL during SL's reign.

Archived