IGNORED

Will anything change in the next 10 years?

reddogkev

We all know that for the past couple of decades, we have roughly been in the same position in the football pyramid (hovering between our two favourite leagues).

Can you see this changing in the future?

I'd be happy with becoming a top tier Championship team (like Derby for example), and maybe just sampling the Prem for one season if possible...

Almost definitely. We won't remain where we are with the same stadium.

Either it will do the intended, crowds increase, so does our expenditure and overall success or it'll become a white elephant, crowds will be tiny and we will remain mediocre or worse.

Either a big success or a huge failure. Should be an interesting few years.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Almost definitely. We won't remain where we are with the same stadium.

Either it will do the intended, crowds increase, so does our expenditure and overall success or it'll become a white elephant, crowds will be tiny and we will remain mediocre or worse.

Either a big success or a huge failure. Should be an interesting few years.

I've often said the same thing about the stadium, but when you think about it, a 27k stadium with all extra revenue possibilities is just a case of playing catch up with the rest (still exceptions of course, like Bournemouth etc), so will this actually make much of a difference?  The Ricoh didn't really do a thing for Coventy, but the Amex seems to have helped Brighton push on to the next level.  Wonder which way we'll go.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I've often said the same thing about the stadium, but when you think about it, a 27k stadium with all extra revenue possibilities is just a case of playing catch up with the rest (still exceptions of course, like Bournemouth etc), so will this actually make much of a difference?  The Ricoh didn't really do a thing for Coventy, but the Amex seems to have helped Brighton push on to the next level.  Wonder which way we'll go.

Generally it helps clubs improve. Coventry will be back soon enough but ownership issues haven't helped them invest quality in the team.

I think one advantage we have for 'off the pitch' revenue is lack of competition. If we were in, say, Manchester - you'd have loads of competition for conference facilities, corporate dinners etc from football stadia - we simply don't in Bristol. 

Hopefully it'll improve things financially and also professionally in how we are seen as a club. Whilst SL is here we shouldn't have real financial difficulties either which is good. Just got to get it right on the pitch and ticketing to ensure we fill as many seats as possible.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Generally it helps clubs improve. Coventry will be back soon enough but ownership issues haven't helped them invest quality in the team.

I think one advantage we have for 'off the pitch' revenue is lack of competition. If we were in, say, Manchester - you'd have loads of competition for conference facilities, corporate dinners etc from football stadia - we simply don't in Bristol. 

Hopefully it'll improve things financially and also professionally in how we are seen as a club. Whilst SL is here we shouldn't have real financial difficulties either which is good. Just got to get it right on the pitch and ticketing to ensure we fill as many seats as possible.

Good point about the lack of regional competition, we'll be the biggest club in quite a large area.  If we can finally start to tap into this large catchment area, then we should become a top level Championship club.  We should be able to overtake Reading, and possibly aim to imitate what Stoke have done?  Or is a Stoke type progression too much for us? 

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I had a friend who thought we'd never get in the prem whilst he's alive. He's only 19! Fingers crossed he dies soon so we can go up

Never saw you as having such a dark side!!!!!!!! I'm 34 years old and wondering whether I'll ever live to see us in the top tier.  I'll probably pop my clogs as soon as we win promotion!

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Never saw you as having such a dark side!!!!!!!! I'm 34 years old and wondering whether I'll ever live to see us in the top tier.  I'll probably pop my clogs as soon as we win promotion!

I'm almost certain we'll be in there in my lifetime. 

15 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Good point about the lack of regional competition, we'll be the biggest club in quite a large area.  If we can finally start to tap into this large catchment area, then we should become a top level Championship club.  We should be able to overtake Reading, and possibly aim to imitate what Stoke have done?  Or is a Stoke type progression too much for us? 

Definitely should be aiming as high as Stoke. I wonder if 10 years ago, or when The Brittania was built (or even when Pulis took over!) they ever thought they'd have a team that could attract Shaquiri and Bojan. Sky should be the limit really or what's the point! 

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Good point about the lack of regional competition, we'll be the biggest club in quite a large area.  If we can finally start to tap into this large catchment area, then we should become a top level Championship club. 

We've had plenty of opportunity to. The club could do so much more.

44 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

We all know that for the past couple of decades, we have roughly been in the same position in the football pyramid (hovering between our two favourite leagues).

Can you see this changing in the future?

I'd be happy with becoming a top tier Championship team (like Derby for example), and maybe just sampling the Prem for one season if possible...

Problem is being a top tier Championship team seems to mean having to be relegated from the prem so we would have to over achieve to get to where you would like to be - if we got promoted we would be looking to sack the manager before xmas if we looked even close to relegation.

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

At least  you've seen us there once before. and a couple years out from seeing them twice there. Sorry I'll stop now...

Cidered Abroad must be the oldest poster on otib Despite claiming to be only 72 he must really be at least 112, as our first period in the top flight ended in 1911 and he missed seeing it by a couple of years!

2 minutes ago, Turbored said:

With all the new conferencing facilities etc , how does that benifit the football team ? If Bristol sport or what ever holding company owns the stadium dont theypocket all the additioanl revenue coming in or does it get divided out to all entities in Bristol sport?

I believe it enables us to spend more under FFP. 

Soon, we'll have all the bits in place to go for it.

We'll have a big enough stadium,potential fan base, a wealthy backer. Relatively debt free - it just needs a few pieces to fall into place.

It's not like we have to constantly sell our best players to survive, we've got enough about us to really start building for the future.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I believe it enables us to spend more under FFP.

i get that bit @Phileas Fogg but if we dont own the stadium how do we actually recoup the money. So if i hired out the conferencing centre and paid the cheque to bristol sport or whoever how doe sthat money then filter through to the football side of things finances.

2 minutes ago, Turbored said:

i get that bit @Phileas Fogg but if we dont own the stadium how do we actually recoup the money. So if i hired out the conferencing centre and paid the cheque to bristol sport or whoever how doe sthat money then filter through to the football side of things finances.

I'm no expert on it really especially with how complicated the BS model may potentially be regarding distribution of cash.

How I understand it though is the more money the club makes off the pitch, the better it is for our on pitch finances.

13 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Don't pay BS, simply mark the cheque for Steve Cotterill and attach a post-it note to only use the proceeds for player recruitment!

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm no expert on it really especially with how complicated the BS model may potentially be regarding distribution of cash.

How I understand it though is the more money the club makes off the pitch, the better it is for our on pitch finances.

That's the whole point though - it isn't Bristol City making this additional money - it will be Bristol Sport

Archived