IGNORED

SL Q&A at Snr Reds today

westonred

Steve Lansdown spoke at the Snr Reds Xmas lunch today

When asked if any players had already been signed up and ready to come straight in, in January his answer was "Hand on heart i dont know of any so 'No' is the answer to that"

He also said that the club still weren't prepared to break the wage structure to get us out of this mess He wont bow down to players and their greedy wage demands

He stressed we will still target young and hungry Div 1 players (under 24 mentioned) who will improve the squad and fit in with our wage structure. Quoted £2k a week is an average wage in Div 1 so feels Players would jump at the chance to come here and be good value for money 

However we would consider experienced players over 24 but only if they fall within our wages structure

He thought that Wade Elliot hadn't been replaced in the summer and we were lacking that sort of experienced leader type player

Also he didnt like what he was reading in the paper this week about the squad not being good enough (Obviously a pop at Cotts) SL said he thought the squad were good enough however needed more experience added

4 minutes ago, westonred said:

When asked if any players had already been signed up and ready to come straight in, in January his answer was "Hand on heart i dont know of any so 'No' is the answer to that"

He also said that the club still weren't prepared to break the wage structure to get us out of this mess He wont bow down to players and their greedy wage demands

He stressed we will still target young and hungry Div 1 players (under 24 mentioned) who will improve the squad and fit in with our wage structure. Quoted £2k a week is an average wage in Div 1 so feels Players would jump at the chance to come here and be good value for money 

However we would consider experienced players over 24 but only if they fall within our wages structure

He thought that Wade Elliot hadn't been replaced in the summer and we were lacking that sort of experienced leader type player

Also he didnt like what he was reading in the paper this week about the squad not being good enough (Obviously a pop at Cotts) SL said he thought the squad were good enough however needed more experience added

SL's wrong then imo., the squad clearly isn't good enough. Not if the plan was to have a comfortable season anyway.

There is great potential in our squad but the young players who looked outstanding in L1 desperately needed help to show their best form in this league.

It seems SL's saying exactly that in the very last words of your post, so surely he's actually saying we're not good enough as things stand.

Mixed messages.

What I don't understand, is if the average League 1 salary is 2 grand a week, why is it we pay our players '9 trillion pounds an hour' - which is what some 'in the know' people claim. But never reveal their sources.

Part of me is starting to wonder if some posters on here are talking out their backsides.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What I don't understand, is if the average League 1 salary is 2 grand a week, why is it we pay our players '9 trillion pounds an hour' - which is what some 'in the know' people claim. But never reveal their sources.

Part of me is starting to wonder if some posters on here are talking out their backsides.

only part of you BR?

now that is talking out yer backside!!

29 minutes ago, westonred said:

We were promoted with young and hungry league 1 players and they've proved to be not up to it in the championship. So Steve thinks the solution is to go back for more of the same. I hope I'm wrong but that ain't gonna work!

23 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Really does put the madness of wages in modern football into perspective. £2k a week for the average City player, when someone like Rooney is on 150x more. insane and incredible. Steve wants to spend but he isn't stupid. 

£2k a week is still £100k a year for a league one player. That's still mad money, so I would think most of City's would be on well over that. Yes, Rooney is off the scale, but there's a lot more marketing income attached to Rooney than any one of ours.

10 minutes ago, Calculus said:

£2k a week is still £100k a year for a league one player. That's still mad money, so I would think most of City's would be on well over that. Yes, Rooney is off the scale, but there's a lot more marketing income attached to Rooney than any one of ours.

That's right, the British Potato Council must be paying Rooney a fortune ! ;)

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Should have ****ing done that in the summer :grr:

Totally agree. If we`d got in three or four before pre season who knows what would have happened. We couldn`t be in any worse position than we are now (alright I know we technically could be bottom) and collectively they would have cost less than Gray or Gayle. More importantly, we would have players that want to be here and show they`re good enough for the step up. They might not all have made it but we may also have found another Albert.

24 minutes ago, Calculus said:

It isn't that excessive, 50k after tax, less after pension contributions and even less after keeping your WAG well turned out.

Given how short the career is, it doesn't seem OTT.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Sounds like a recipe for relegation to me.

The League One players are finding it tough in the Championship, so let's buy more of them.

Hmmm......not too thrilled to hear that.

6 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The guy wants to build a sustainable platform. Admirable and will stand the club well for the future, but building a strong squad in the meantime is much needed.

Clearly the lesson from the last attempt at doing the championship on the cheap hasn't been learned.

Did we do it on the cheap? I can`t imagine the likes of Heaton, Davis, Baldock et al were earning peanuts.

4 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The guy wants to build a sustainable platform. Admirable and will stand the club well for the future, but building a strong squad in the meantime is much needed.

Clearly the lesson from the last attempt at doing the championship on the cheap hasn't been learned.

Absolutely! I'd rather just go back to L1 and just forget about the bloody Championship, there's no point. At least in L1 95% of your Saturday's and Tuesday's aren't ruined.

44 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

We were promoted with young and hungry league 1 players and they've proved to be not up to it in the championship. So Steve thinks the solution is to go back for more of the same. I hope I'm wrong but that ain't gonna work!

No , but look on the positives

At least it's sustainable !!!!

;)

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

But I bet most, if not all players signed after Coppell were considerably cheaper than what they replaced - Heaton for James is a good example.

True, I`ll give you that. Cheaper but still bloody expensive and how many of them were actually worth it? Heaton, Baldock, Davis (occasionally when he could be arsed) probably but Hunt, Stewart, Morris, Foster, Macmanus definitely not.

Well we now know who was responsible for the summer shambles - SL

I have on earlier threads been critical of SC in relation to formation, use of subs, and coaching.  I still think my, and others' comments, are pertinent BUT now I genuinely feel I and others need to cut SC some slack.

He made it clear on first arrival that he would need 6 or more players if we won promotion; why was SL silent then, and misleading all of us, including SC, into believing he was serious about reaching the Premiership.  We now know he isn't even committed to keeping us in The Championship. He always knew the cost of Championship players.  Clearly the Gayle/ Gray bids were to placate SC.  We guessed then it was a gimmick and now we know for certain it was.  What a way to run any company.

All this goes to underline a point I made on an earlier thread that he is happy with cheaper division 3 football.   Clearly his commitment is to Bristol Sport not to Bristol City and the money he thinks he can make out of the revamped stadium. As I have said elsewhere the new stadium's finances are clearly predicated on third division football.

We have been mislead badly and now we must hope someone can extricate our beloved club from the deadly embrace of Bristol Sport

Before today I was upset by our current league position, now I fear for the long term future of the club.  Haven't felt like this since the Newport game. 

If SC walks who on earth would want to come to City?  And I for one would not blame him now if he did walk.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

True, I`ll give you that. Cheaper but still bloody expensive and how many of them were actually worth it? Heaton, Baldock, Davis (occasionally when he could be arsed) probably but Hunt, Stewart, Morris, Foster, Macmanus definitely not.

I've managed to put a good proportion of that lot out of my memory, thanks SO much for the reminder :) 

14 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Absolutely! I'd rather just go back to L1 and just forget about the bloody Championship, there's no point. At least in L1 95% of your Saturday's and Tuesday's aren't ruined.

So if we go back to L1, and won promotion to the Championship again, we should decline the promotion and stay in L1?

Archived