IGNORED

SPOTY

Fordy62

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Have I missed a thread on this somewhere?

i hate Fury. The bloke is a cock of the highest order but I'm sat here wanting him to win for two reasons;

1. For comedy value. 

2. It's probably fair given his achievement. 

I'd like to reiterate that he's a cock though  

Funny thing I used to hate Fury but after watching more and more of his interviews i have grown to respect him more. I think he deserved to win it after going to Germany and beating Klitschko, no one saw it coming at all and a great achievement.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

People think Andy Murray has no personality because he doesn't show it on the court. He's hilarious off the court! Watch some programmes about him he's funny! Don't know too many sportspeople that go on mock the week?

I beg to differ. Boring as ****. 

Propped up by professional comedians he might be humorous. Left to be himself he's dire. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Propped up by professional comedians he might be humorous. Left to be himself he's dire. 

Who cares it's for sporting achievement not for his personality. Nigel Bloody Mansell won it one year!

Just now, gloucester robin said:

How many grand slams has he won this year?The only reason he won this is because he was the most famous player in a GB team that won the Davis Cup!

Exactly. He never lost a game and we would of never had a chance without him.

Unfortunately it's a popularity contest, mainly amongst part-time sports fans, so a million miles from any objectivity. So be it. 

I can think of many who have achieved more this year but they are unknowns or from lesser known sports without as much UK profile. A shame.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

You have to take into account he is in an era with 3 of the greatest players ever to play the game. 

Absolutely, but Murray was better under Lendl when Roger/Nadal were closer to their prime than currently. Djokovic is benefiting from that, as he is well coached.

39 minutes ago, Super said:

Exactly. He never lost a game and we would of never had a chance without him.

The fact that he wasn't even on the short list until GB won the final could tell you that he wasn't worth being nominated for Sports Personality Of The YEAR but should have been included in next years!

51 minutes ago, gloucester robin said:

The fact that he wasn't even on the short list until GB won the final could tell you that he wasn't worth being nominated for Sports Personality Of The YEAR but should have been included in next years!

Even though they won the Davis cup this year.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Do you follow him on Twitter or Facebook? You wouldn't say that if you did.

The guy is self-deprecating (as he showed in his acceptance speech), has bags of personality and isn't afraid to offer an opinion. A shame some people still can't get past the voice.

Shocked he won though - expected Ennis-Hill to win it. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wanted fury to win to stick two fingers up to the SJW idiots who petitioned to get him off. You have a right to be offended but he also has a right to say it. He's also from a gypsy family, of course his views might not be in line with 21st century political correctness. 

Yep, same here, would have wet myself laughing if he'd won. His views are somewhat outdated and probably objectionable to a lot of people but that shouldn't affect how his achievements are seen.

For the first time in many years I didn't bother to watch SPoTY tonight. I finally accepted ( although I'm a huge sports fan as most of us are ) that it's just become drawn out and overlong. Add to that meaningless awards like the team one and the fact there were no cricketers on the short list and I opted to watch some recorded stuff to catch up with.

Mrs Robbo thinks it's all rigged anyway.......:sad26:

2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Would NI manager won coach of the year if it wasn't in Belfast? 

My guess would have been no, if England Mens Football team got 3rd at a world cup everyone would have been brown nosing for Hodgson to win it, so my opinion was Sampson should have won.

Anybody notice Gaby Logan's dismissing of the rest of the Davis Cup squad pretty much during the earlier interview, when Murray said he wishes he could have been standing with the rest of the squad instead infront alone, Logan talked along the lines 'well YOU were the one who won so many games for them' emphasising the one man team idea, which is why I found it funny that the Davis Cup team won team of the year, again I'd have said Ladies Football team. 

Archived