IGNORED

SPOTY

Fordy62

1 hour ago, gloucester robin said:

The fact that he wasn't even on the short list until GB won the final could tell you that he wasn't worth being nominated for Sports Personality Of The YEAR but should have been included in next years!

It's played in several countries, in numerous ties, over the WHOLE YEAR.  It's not just a final......

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For the first time in many years I didn't bother to watch SPoTY tonight. I finally accepted ( although I'm a huge sports fan as most of us are ) that it's just become drawn out and overlong. Add to that meaningless awards like the team one and the fact there were no cricketers on the short list and I opted to watch some recorded stuff to catch up with.

Mrs Robbo thinks it's all rigged anyway.......:sad26:

I'm with you on this one. First time  ever I've not watched it nor had any interest in it. 

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For the first time in many years I didn't bother to watch SPoTY tonight. I finally accepted ( although I'm a huge sports fan as most of us are ) that it's just become drawn out and overlong. Add to that meaningless awards like the team one and the fact there were no cricketers on the short list and I opted to watch some recorded stuff to catch up with.

Mrs Robbo thinks it's all rigged anyway.......:sad26:

You didn't watch because "it's just become drawn out and overlong"............... but you like cricket :blink:

What the hell is the Davis cup? And how does winning it make Murray SPOTY? Win Wimbledon or something and yea you deserve it but the bloody Davis Cup which I understand is done as a team?

Out of all the personalities then for the biggest achievement it should have been Hamilton again. Not an F1 fan but don't think winning the Davis cup compares to winning a second consecutive world championship.

Not sure Hamilton was even there? Says a lot about his chances if he wasn't. Fixed.

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

And where the **** was Danny Kent. 

The whole thing is a laughing stock. 

First British motorcycling  World Champion since Barry Sheene in 1977.

Awesome year from Danny.

Didn't expect him to win it but should have been nominated for young SPOTY.

50 minutes ago, Just Red said:

What the hell is the Davis cup? And how does winning it make Murray SPOTY? Win Wimbledon or something and yea you deserve it but the bloody Davis Cup which I understand is done as a team?

Out of all the personalities then for the biggest achievement it should have been Hamilton again. Not an F1 fan but don't think winning the Davis cup compares to winning a second consecutive world championship.

Not sure Hamilton was even there? Says a lot about his chances if he wasn't. Fixed.

Why don't they compare?

Winning the Davis Cup for the first time since 1936 was a fantastic achievement.  Also, Andy Murray doesn't get to use a better tennis racquet than all his opponents.

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Anyone who follows Murray on twitter and doesn't just form their opinion based on the stereotype image knows this isn't the case.

Is it not fair to form an opinion of his public persona from endless interviews, his on-court behaviour and the like - that is his sporting personality?  If you are relying on 160 characters to best inform people of the type of person you are then they are quite justified in forming their views from television.

The definition of "Sporting Personality" isn't well summed up by "he's good on twitter".

17 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Would NI manager won coach of the year if it wasn't in Belfast? 

Well, I really hope so.

Qualifying for the Euros with a squad of players that included ones from Fleetwood and Notts County is some effort, unlike the constant banging on about what Wales have done, with a midfield that includes a player from Real Madrid, Arsenal and Liverpool.

In their last campaign even Luxembourg drew in Belfast and they were fifth seeded in their group of six, which they won.

If that isn't an achievement worth celebrating I don't know what is.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Well, I really hope so.

Qualifying for the Euros with a squad of players that included ones from Fleetwood and Notts County is some effort, unlike the constant banging on about what Wales have done, with a midfield that includes a player from Real Madrid, Arsenal and Liverpool.

In their last campaign even Luxembourg drew in Belfast and they were fifth seeded in their group of six, which they won.

If that isn't an achievement worth celebrating I don't know what is.

Agreed. What Northern Ireland did was outstanding and they should have been strong candidates for the team award as well.

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Is it not fair to form an opinion of his public persona from endless interviews, his on-court behaviour and the like - that is his sporting personality?  If you are relying on 160 characters to best inform people of the type of person you are then they are quite justified in forming their views from television.

The definition of "Sporting Personality" isn't well summed up by "he's good on twitter".

Like many people in the public eye, you tend to get a far greater insight into their personality on twitter than you do from more traditional forms of media.  It's a more relaxed, personal and informal format than, for example, a television interview.  I'm not arguing he's great on camera - he's not - but lots of us wouldn't be natural in front of a camera and it doesn't mean we're boring.

4 hours ago, Just Red said:

Your correct Davis cup is about the team

Hamilton relies on a great team more than anybody Take away the best car Hamilton wins nothing

17 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

How can you win sports personality of the year with no personality?

How can you win it when its a team sport that he won? Which explains why a phone in vote is nonsense.

10 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Froome would have been my pick with the Davis Cup side winning the team award. 

Every day of the week Chris Froome should have won it... 2 not 1 but 2 Tour wins when nobody has won from these shores, except Wiggins, since the day Amundsen went to the North Pole and winning the Tour once, let alone twice, is almost as hard. The guy should have been a shoe in.. winning the Tour makes winning the F1 title look like total kids play. The phone in voting nonsense is why the whole cabash is a bit of a farse; the public know nout; they only vote for what they see and like most on the telly which is zero reflection of who deserves it most. 

47 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

How can you win it when its a team sport that he won? Which explains why a phone in vote is nonsense.

Every day of the week Chris Froome should have won it... 2 not 1 but 2 Tour wins when nobody has won from these shores, except Wiggins, since the day Amundsen went to the North Pole and winning the Tour once, let alone twice, is almost as hard. The guy should have been a shoe in.. winning the Tour makes winning the F1 title look like total kids play. The phone in voting nonsense is why the whole cabash is a bit of a farse; the public know nout; they only vote for what they see and like most on the telly which is zero reflection of who deserves it most. 

Maybe he'll win it next year if he wins a third Tour.

4 hours ago, shelts said:

No personality at all but boy can he play tennis and carry a team all on his own. Fury an absolute joke who will knocked out by the Russian for sure in the re match, boxing in the gutter with the likes of that big ****!!

He beat a fantastic champion in Hamburg, it's a brilliant achievement. It's hardly in the gutter, loads of great boxers (many of them British) doing well in all weight categories.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

I wanted Chris Froome to win but if you use the team argument as a reason for Andy Murray not being `eligible` for the individual award Chris wouldn`t have won the tour if it hadn`t been for the brilliant performances of his teammates.

Archived