IGNORED

January Transfer Window

KingLear

First of all it's good to finally hear some communication from the club regarding the summer transfer window and the mistakes that were made, I think it was important to address that for the fans.

Now that's in the past and what's done is done, it's good to hear that we will be learning by the (many) mistakes that were made and that SL is going to back SC and KB with going after REALISTIC targets this time out.

I for one am excited to see who we're going to go for, I wonder if the Christmas list has been finished yet....?

• Admin
19 minutes ago, KingLear said:

First of all it's good to finally hear some communication from the club regarding the summer transfer window and the mistakes that were made, I think it was important to address that for the fans.

Out of interest where was this communicated?

25 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Now that's in the past and what's done is done, it's good to hear that we will be learning by the (many) mistakes that were made and that SL is going to back SC and KB with going after REALISTIC targets this time out.

I for one am excited to see who we're going to go for, I wonder if the Christmas list has been finished yet....?

SL did say that they could afford the wages of every single player they went for. Just that other clubs came in/they couldn't get them over the line. 

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

SL did say that they could afford the wages of every single player they went for. Just that other clubs came in/they couldn't get them over the line. 

Just because they could afford their wages doesn't necessarily make them realistic targets though does it?

7 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Just because they could afford their wages doesn't necessarily make them realistic targets though does it?

I'd say so. If the only reason they're not signing is because there are bigger teams trying to get them too it's not that we're not a good place for them to go, there are just better options for them. Andre Gray was clearly realistic, but he chose Burnley over us. We offered the wages he asked for but just chose them instead 

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'd say so. If the only reason they're not signing is because there are bigger teams trying to get them too it's not that we're not a good place for them to go, there are just better options for them. Andre Gray was clearly realistic, but he chose Burnley over us. We offered the wages he asked for but just chose them instead 

Fair point about Gray, although I think he only came down to the gate out of courtesy if he already knew Burnley were interested.

On the flip side I don't think Gayle was ever going to be interested in a move here so was never realistic to spend time and effort on that one.

We have to accept that we just aren't a big draw to established Championship/fringe Premiership players at this moment in time, which is why in my opinion we're targeting the lower league talent.

Interesting listening to Martin O'Neil on Goals on Sunday

Was talking about Villa and relegation fights

Said he believes it is naive to rely just on January signings to save you that the manager needs to galvanise the squad he's got first and foremost and supplement it with the odd signing

Talked about how it takes players time to settle and if you're not careful they won't actually have that much impact for a while

Thought it was a well made point

Still think we need a few in tho !!!!

SL on city player with Adam Baker - on good and optimisitc form.  SL comes across  better than anyone else at the Club.  He identified specific areas for strengthening. 

A goalkeeper to challenge Frank Fielding.

A creative midfielder as he feels we have not replaced Wade Elliot.

A goal-scorer.

Steve's the perfect diplomat but gets his true thoughts across as well and it's clear he genuinely backs the manager and existing players.  He says SC wears his 'heart of his sleeve' and needs 'picking up every now and then' but we 'couldn't have a better person in charge of the footballing side of things'. 

Thinks we haven't had the rub of the green in a few games. 

Understands why we went for certain targets and attaches no blame to anyone for the absence of signings (being overly diplomatic of course) but it's clear he wants to see us go for the cream in the lower levels in the Uk and also pick up further potential  up and coming gems in Europe.  Three scouts now in Europe as well.  Recognises that January is not the ideal time to recruit.

I can see three or four players coming in during January and I suspect they will in line with the type of targets SL wants to focus on.   

31 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Fair point about Gray, although I think he only came down to the gate out of courtesy if he already knew Burnley were interested.

On the flip side I don't think Gayle was ever going to be interested in a move here so was never realistic to spend time and effort on that one.

We have to accept that we just aren't a big draw to established Championship/fringe Premiership players at this moment in time, which is why in my opinion we're targeting the lower league talent.

But Brizzle is the best city in the world/

/OTIB

I recall in the last transfer window several posters suggesting we should try and get Vydra as he would be prolific at Championship level. It was even stated we would be unlikely to secure his services as he would be out of our league. Obviously, he went to Reading for the season where he is hardly pulling up trees on the goalscoring front!

Our last transfer window was bordering on a disaster, but had we succeeded in signing some of those being highly touted on here then it would've been an unmitigated disaster! I am sure there are targets in mind, some well under the radar at present. But we have to face facts. Much though we don't like to admit it, those in charge of the purse strings know more about football than we do. Jeez, the general consensus on here back in the summer was that Vydra and Joey Barton would be phenomenal signings at this level. Yet both are doing diddly squat for their clubs at this level. Just thank our lucky stars their clubs aren't our club!

40 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I recall in the last transfer window several posters suggesting we should try and get Vydra as he would be prolific at Championship level. It was even stated we would be unlikely to secure his services as he would be out of our league. Obviously, he went to Reading for the season where he is hardly pulling up trees on the goalscoring front!

Our last transfer window was bordering on a disaster, but had we succeeded in signing some of those being highly touted on here then it would've been an unmitigated disaster! I am sure there are targets in mind, some well under the radar at present. But we have to face facts. Much though we don't like to admit it, those in charge of the purse strings know more about football than we do. Jeez, the general consensus on here back in the summer was that Vydra and Joey Barton would be phenomenal signings at this level. Yet both are doing diddly squat for their clubs at this level. Just thank our lucky stars their clubs aren't our club!

But things aren't always the same at every club , take Matt Smith for instance , did nothing at his previous clubs but did well here , different players perform at one club but not another .

2 hours ago, KingLear said:

Totally with that, he was clearly unrealistic. Gayle didn't even tell us how much money he wanted because he didn't want to come here. Waste of time. I think we should be buying the best talent from league 1 and then players in the top 2 divisions who are available for cheap. 

43 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Vydra cost reading ~1.5 million pounds for just a years loan. There's no way we should be paying that. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People have speculated we paid 1m for Baker's loan fee; if so, not totally ludicrous to suggest we might pay 1.5 in a loan fee for a proven striker.

Yeah but that's probably the wages. Whereas they've paid 1.5 AND his wages? I think. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People have speculated we paid 1m for Baker's loan fee; if so, not totally ludicrous to suggest we might pay 1.5 in a loan fee for a proven striker.

They did PF

Talk of equivalent 0f 40k a week - 20k wages 20k loan fee (heading for a million quid) - came from the guy who got the taxi with the Burnley Scout

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah but that's probably the wages. Whereas they've paid 1.5 AND his wages? I think. 

Yep; based on that 40k P/W figure above that @BobBobSuperBob mentioned from the Burnley scout, some believe it's 20k per week wages and the 1m loan fee. No one knows for sure whether that is true - but if it is, we're not that far off what Reading are possibly paying for Vydra when considering wages and that he's a proven striker.

Archived