IGNORED

Pulis

Ash the Bash

I've bought a couple of tickets for West Brom, thoroughly looking forward to a cheap day out to get over the post-Christmas blues. Anyway, before I participate in the anti-Pulis chants I'd like to really understand why he's so unpopular at our club. I'm 25 so I was very young during his time here. From my limited understanding there's a few points.. 

1. Ex-gas 

2. Only around for a few months before running off for more doh?

3. Horrible negative football? 

4. Bad signings? 

Anything else? What annoyed you guys the most? Find it fascinating that a guy who managed in the late nineties is still remembered and hated so much down here

Despite his widespread praise I find the blokes attitude infuriating on the tele... 

Also, merry Christmas fellow reds! 

59 minutes ago, Ash the Bash said:

I've bought a couple of tickets for West Brom, thoroughly looking forward to a cheap day out to get over the post-Christmas blues. Anyway, before I participate in the anti-Pulis chants I'd like to really understand why he's so unpopular at our club. I'm 25 so I was very young during his time here. From my limited understanding there's a few points.. 

1. Ex-gas 

4. Bad signings? 

Anything else? What annoyed you guys the most? Find it fascinating that a guy who managed in the late nineties is still remembered and hated so much down here

Despite his widespread praise I find the blokes attitude infuriating on the tele... 

To be fair, number 2 was the highlight for me and the only thing that I would give him credit for.

It was nothing to do with him being gas, though that certainly didn't endear him to people from the start.

The guy ripped the heart out of the club, gave us a brand of football beyond boredom.

I remember being at Brentford one Boxing Day (think it was, though not 100% on the date) and there were rumours going around about him going to Portsmouth. He was getting plenty of encouragement to go from the City fans that day.

He didn't lose a single home game while he was in charge (something like 6 or 7 0-0 draws though). Danny Wilson lost his first three and was still treated like the Messiah by fans who were still in pain from the Pulis era.

1 hour ago, Ash the Bash said:

1. Ex-gas 

4. Bad signings? 

I don't think you need to look beyond number 1 really , I hate the man with a passion , I was brought up to hate anything that has been associated with Rovers , and that will never change , seeing those blue and white squares makes my blood boil !

He sold Akinbiyi for personal financial gain.  (We paid his ex club Gillingham a sell on which he pocketed a proportion of).

No integrity, no acknowledgement of the massive conflict of interest.  If I remember rightly he took them to court for the money.

Also the worst football I have ever watched a City side play and signing a boatload of aging crocks on ridiculous money who were substandard.

27 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He sold Akinbiyi for personal financial gain.  (We paid his ex club Gillingham a sell on which he pocketed a proportion of).

No integrity, no acknowledgement of the massive conflict of interest.  If I remember rightly he took them to court for the money.

Also the worst football I have ever watched a City side play and signing a boatload of aging crocks on ridiculous money who were substandard.

Pulis said he was owed around £140,000 from the sale of Ade Akinbiyi, James Corbett and Iffy Onuora, making a rough total of £200,000.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/27/newsstory.sport1

Sums him up imo

2 hours ago, Ash the Bash said:

1. Ex-gas 

4. Bad signings? 

1, 3, and 4.

I can live with 2 - at least the bastard ****** off...

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

It was nothing to do with him being gas, though that certainly didn't endear him to people from the start.

The guy ripped the heart out of the club, gave us a brand of football beyond boredom.

I remember being at Brentford one Boxing Day (think it was, though not 100% on the date) and there were rumours going around about him going to Portsmouth. He was getting plenty of encouragement to go from the City fans that day.

He didn't lose a single home game while he was in charge (something like 6 or 7 0-0 draws though). Danny Wilson lost his first three and was still treated like the Messiah by fans who were still in pain from the Pulis era.

I remember that Boxing Day at Brentford, I spent most of the game watching aircraft coming out of Heathrow as it was more interesting the his BS brand of football. 

I remember there being no affection between him and us, never clapping the fans when he came out of the tunnel. 

4 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

I remember the dullest game at Stoke where the highlight was City fans fighting amongst themselves to relieve the boredom.

As an add on, guess which clubs Antony Pulis Jnr played for over a number of years with a couple of token sub appearances.

We have had that this season and though we have been losing most of the games haven't been boring!

Apart from the terrible brand of football he always seemed indifferent about us as a club. I'm sure I remember reading about something he said after leaving us that in a derby against the blue few he'd felt uneasy about being on the red side.

That match at Bournemouth after he left ranks as one of my favourite ever away games.

1 minute ago, Offside said:

Apart from the terrible brand of football he always seemed indifferent about us as a club. I'm sure I remember reading about something he said after leaving us that in a derby against the blue few he'd felt uneasy about being on the red side.

That match at Bournemouth after he left ranks as one of my favourite ever away games.

Bloke's a steaming pile of ordure.

I do like the last little detail :)

Bristol-born Pulis began his career as a trainee with Portsmouth F.C. whilst his father Tony managed the club, turning professional in July 2003. Despite his father's sacking after only 10 months in charge, Anthony stayed at Fratton Park, hoping to break into the club's first team. He made just one first team appearance for Pompey, as a substitute in the 2–0League Cup win away to Cardiff City on 9 November 2004.[5]

Stoke City[edit]

In December 2004, after failing to make an impact on the Portsmouth first team, Anthony Pulis and teammate Lewis Buxton each signed two and a half-year contracts with the elder Pulis' side, Stoke City F.C.[6]

Almost immediately after his arrival at Stoke, Anthony joined Torquay United on loan, making his league debut as a first-half substitute for Alex Russell as Torquay lost 2–1 at home to Stockport County on 1 January 2005. However his appearances were limited and his loan spell was cut short.

Pulis once again found his first team opportunities scarce after his father was dismissed and replaced by Johan Boskampprior to the 2005–06 season. In February 2006, he joined Doncaster Rovers on trial,[7] however no permanent deal materialised and he returned to Stoke. Towards the end of the 2005–06 season he was loaned to Plymouth Argyle, linking up with his father for the third time in his career.[8]

After his loan spell, Pulis returned to the Britannia Stadium for the 2006–07 season, coinciding with his father's June 2006 managerial reappointment there.[9] He moved, along with Martin Paterson, to Grimsby Town on loan on 23 November 2006.[10] However, he made only nine appearances before his loan spell was cut short due to injury.[11] In his second-last appearance, he was substituted at half-time as Grimsby suffered a 4–0 loss to Rochdale.[12]

The 2007–08 season started brightly for Pulis. He gained his first assist for the club, as his corner set up a Jon Parkin header in a 3–2 defeat to Southampton,[13] however injury problems kept him sidelined for several months thereafter. He was loaned out again, on this occasion to Bristol Rovers, however he made only one appearance for the club before his loan spell was curtailed due to another injury. In his only appearance for the club, a 14-minute cameo in a 2–0 defeat to Doncaster Rovers, Pulis conceded a penalty kick and was booked.[14]

Absolute turgid football with no flair or passion. The bloke gave every impression of not wanting to be here and was just doing a job for wages.

I remember one game at AG, against Stoke I think, when we were one down and Tinnion (?) scored a screamer from 30 yards to equalise. No-one cheered it because we realised that it had just kept the **** in his job for another week. When he scuttled off to Pompey AND we got compo it was like all our Christmases had come at once.

We joke about sending 'agents' to Rovers but I honestly thought Pulis' tenure at City was an attempt to destroy the club from the inside.

I respect his achievements at clubs before and after City but otherwise have nothing positive to say about the bloke.

His mere presence at Ashton Gate seemed to make the club an uneasy place. The football was awful. The players he signed were journeymen. And throughout we had a feeling that his transfers in and out were not in the club's interest.

He apparentely got death threats was spat at by a few City fans after a game as well. That tells you all you need to know.
If you look at the results under him they weren't particularly shocking by any means, but his style, his persona and his loyalties were never in sync with this club, so he must go down as the worst ever manager at AG and the fact he could barely support us in the derby sums up him with us.

Also I remember us beating Stoke 1-0 Marvin Elliott beauty a few years ago and Pulis' post match interview ended with 'We wore Blue because that's the colour of this City' what a ******. 
Give him hell boys that's all I have to say.

Archived