IGNORED

When the rugby club overtake us

CyderInACan

5 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Rugby is a nothing sport in England.  I live in Wales and tried explaining this to a friend who was over for a stag weekend when England were playing Wales a couple of years back.  

He didn't believe me when  I stated that if there was football on the telly he would struggle to find  a pub showing the rugby. 

When I saw him a week later he said he couldn't believe how the English couldn't give a shit about rugby

Biggest crock of shite I've seen on here for a few weeks 

It's not a pissing contest, neither club should be taking over but helping each other aspire to greater things. So far the difference between City and Gas fans and management had been vastly different, I (as I'm guessing many more) would find City starting to adopt traits them lot espoused most disagreeable for a whole host of reasons. 

We're here together, and could create something very special indeed with plenty of crossover support. Let's not waste this opportunity, even those not interested in either sport should be able to see and understand that. 

Rugby is massive in this country, but it's not so well supported as football. I think more people play it during the weekends rather than watch it in the stands. Whereas Football is a game well supported in both. 

I have a few mates who all love Rugby and they all play it regularly on Saturday's for their local clubs, yet they are all Bristol Rugby fans. I think when the big matches are on like the Play Offs for instance, people will come! Look the last attendance, wasn't it a sell out?

33 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Rugby a sport invented so fat kids could play

I'll bite. 

I don't particularly like the sport but I respect it. Like it or lump it but Rugby in the UK in general is massive, probably bigger than football! 

You'll have to get used to it, Bristol Rugby are one of us now. And I've welcomed them to it! 

Look forward to a game in the future, you can drink too!!

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I'll bite. 

I don't particularly like the sport but I respect it. Like it or lump it but Rugby in the UK in general is massive, probably bigger than football! 

You'll have to get used to it, Bristol Rugby are one of us now. And I've welcomed them to it! 

Look forward to a game in the future, you can drink too!!

I agree mostly but overall in the UK it's nowhere near as big as football.

10 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

cum on lew football will always be the top sport in our country!!

just have a look at the amount of local football compered to rugby!!

Maybe so, again I'm not Rugby's greatest fan but it's certainly not something to be sniffed at. 

That's only my point mate.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's not the whole UK - even then I reckon it's a close run thing. You said it might be bigger in Britain which it simply isn't, regardless whether it might be in Wales or not.

Look at my post above. 

Just think it's quite narrow minded to say Rugby is a sport for fat kids. Or is that whoosh moment for me?

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Look at my post above. 

Just think it's quite narrow minded to say Rugby is a sport for fat kids. Or is that whoosh moment for me?

I'm just commenting on this

"Rugby in the UK in general is massive, probably bigger than football!" 

I totally disagree with that, it's nowhere near.

Other than that though, of course it's not just for fat kids, requires skill. Find it a bit stop/start to watch too often live but can be pretty exciting. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm just commenting on this

"Rugby in the UK in general is massive, probably bigger than football!" 

I totally disagree with that, it's nowhere near.

Other than that though, of course it's not just for fat kids, requires skill. Find it a bit stop/start to watch too often live but can be pretty exciting. 

Bit of exaggeration on my part! Just find it frustrating how Football is the only sport people see as the be all and end all. It's played by over paid bellends!

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Bit of exaggeration on my part! Just find it frustrating how Football is the only sport people see as the be all and end all. It's played by over paid bellends!

Its true.. Its almost quite sad really that without Football this country would almost be lost in a way sports wise. Its like that across Europe though to be fair, football is the be all and end all and even though i love the game it does start to grate on me the amount that is rammed down our throats particularly by fo0king Sky Sports.

This is why i admire the yanks and the vast variety of sports they have in there country.. Ice Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, NFL and Nascar to name but a few are all massive and its not like one sport over there is massively more popular than any other, class that is i reckon and pisses over what Europe has to offer sport wise in many ways.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Its true.. Its almost quite sad really that without Football this country would almost be lost in a way sports wise. Its like that across Europe though to be fair, football is the be all and end all and even though i love the game it does start to grate on me the amount that is rammed down our throats particularly by fo0king Sky Sports.

This is why i admire the yanks and the vast variety of sports they have in there country.. Ice Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, NFL and Nascar to name but a few are all massive and its not like one sport over there is massively more popular than any other, class that is i reckon and pisses over what Europe has to offer sport wise in many ways.

the only one there red I can't deal with, is the basketball.

You come up our end yesss!! we go down your end,yes!!

I find it hard to cope with a goal every 2 games!!

8 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

The mere fact Bristol find it so easy to top the championship in rugby season after season shows that compared to football it is not popular and therefore nowhere near as competitive. There are only a handful of rugby clubs that can regularly draw crowds in excess of 10,000 for goodness sake. Bristol City in the Championship and even back in league one would still pull in bigger crowds than Bristol in the rugby premier. I seriously believe that those amongst us who like rugby are deluded about its place in the hierarchy of British sport and its popularity.

I'm not deluded..I fully understand rugby union (certainly in England) is,and always shall be in the shadow of 'football'..joking aside,re;."lawn faries",the majority I'm sure are aware of the facts.

8 hours ago, Rich said:

How can you compare the premiership of rugby with the third tier of football for attendances?

Bristol in the premiership rarely got 10,000 and averaged about 6,000. Their highest attendances were a couple of games against the likes of Bath at AG, where the attendance was boosted by a majority of Bath followers, the first attracted 21,00 and the second only 16,000, once the novelty wore off. If there were more games to pay for as in football, no doubt the attendance would drop accordingly. As I understand it, Bristol are struggling to get 7,000 though the turnstiles and they only really increase when the play offs come along.

Bristol regularly got over 10000 when they were last in the top tier, in fact I think the lowest crowd that season was still 9000 odd., and there were over 20000 when they played Bath at AG on a couple of occasions.

6 hours ago, bris red said:

But they are shockingly dire sports to watch. I find rugby well-nigh impossible to watch, but gridiron?

Jeez, all those gurt lummoxes in tights....its like a really slow moving Berkeley Busby show for 20 stone knuckle heads. Baseball is rounders and basketball is near enough netballl.

Soccerball is popular for a reason!

7 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Wales would have something to say about that I think.

Cardiff were getting 30k every week in the Premier League, Swansea sell out 22k every week. Compare that to the attendances at Cardiff Blues (avg 9k) and Swansea Ospreys (avg 8k) and it's difficult to argue the rugby is bigger even in Wales. Yes, the national rugby side sells out the Millenium stadium for six nations games, but so do the football team when they play the likes of England and Italy.

Pound for pound if Bristol got a 20k gate in the top flight versus City getting 20k in the Championship the rugby would make BS more money as ticket prices would be slightly higher and fans can drink throughout the game.

As others have pointed out rugby is certainly no 'minority sport' in the west country and if Bristol were promoted they'd get some big, big crowds. I went to the London Scottish game recently on a Friday night and considering the weather and quality of rugby on display there were still 7,500 there. That's an impressive crowd, nor a poor one IMO.

It sounds like some people are going to be surprised when Bristol go up, play Bath, and all 27,000 tickets get snapped up...

I found this fact quite shocking regarding the highest participation sport.....

Swimming has maintained its position as England's most popular participation sport, with just under 2.9 million people taking part at least once a week. But football has slipped from second to third place in the table, behind athletics.13 Jun 2013

Sport England: Participation down by 200,000, says survey ...

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/22806853

17 hours ago, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

If we had a ladies water polo team, they may become more successful than us, but who would care?

A ladies water polo team would surely sink without a trace.

17 hours ago, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

If we had a ladies water polo team, they may become more successful than us, but who would care?

A ladies water polo team would surely sink without a trace.

37 minutes ago, Kingswood mask said:

I found this fact quite shocking regarding the highest participation sport.....

Swimming has maintained its position as England's most popular participation sport, with just under 2.9 million people taking part at least once a week. But football has slipped from second to third place in the table, behind athletics.13 Jun 2013

Sport England: Participation down by 200,000, says survey ...

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/22806853

I guess with Athletics things like running count, so anyone going for a run counts as 'participation"

Archived