IGNORED

When the rugby club overtake us

CyderInACan

At some point, surely, Bristol Rugby will become a Premiership team (either through promotion - finally - or expansion) and be in a position to strengthen & become a force in European rugby. Contrast this with our current predicament and historical position as a predominantly 2nd/3rd tier club, I do wonder whether we as BCFC are in danger of becoming second fiddle to the rugby franchise. Should this be the case and Bristol continually ply their trade in the upper reaches of the Prem & Europe how does this effect us? 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

At some point, surely, Bristol Rugby will become a Premiership team (either through promotion - finally - or expansion) and be in a position to strengthen & become a force in European rugby. Contrast this with our current predicament and historical position as a predominantly 2nd/3rd tier club, I do wonder whether we as BCFC are in danger of becoming second fiddle to the rugby franchise. Should this be the case and Bristol continually ply their trade in the upper reaches of the Prem & Europe how does this effect us? 

We will always be a bigger deal than some shitty rugby set up.

4 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

We want the rugby team to be successful, don't we?

More income = better for Bristol Sport = better for BCFC.

It's a win-win, but feel free to complain about it - this is OTIB after all!

Merry Christmas!

:xmas:

Uncle TFR

Will you stop talking sense, TFR,  FFS :grr:

Rugby is a nothing sport in England.  I live in Wales and tried explaining this to a friend who was over for a stag weekend when England were playing Wales a couple of years back.  

He didn't believe me when  I stated that if there was football on the telly he would struggle to find  a pub showing the rugby. 

When I saw him a week later he said he couldn't believe how the English couldn't give a shit about rugby

2 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Rugby is a nothing sport in England.  I live in Wales and tried explaining this to a friend who was over for a stag weekend when England were playing Wales a couple of years back.  

He didn't believe me when  I stated that if there was football on the telly he would struggle to find  a pub showing the rugby. 

When I saw him a week later he said he couldn't believe how the English couldn't give a shit about rugby

Very few countries give a tinker's cuss about 15 men and a bar of soap.

The mere fact Bristol find it so easy to top the championship in rugby season after season shows that compared to football it is not popular and therefore nowhere near as competitive. There are only a handful of rugby clubs that can regularly draw crowds in excess of 10,000 for goodness sake. Bristol City in the Championship and even back in league one would still pull in bigger crowds than Bristol in the rugby premier. I seriously believe that those amongst us who like rugby are deluded about its place in the hierarchy of British sport and its popularity.

Our only concern should ever be the welfare of the pitch.  As long as this holds up, I am happy.

I would still prefer that SL buys the Mem, evicts the gas, and then develops that stadium for the rugby club.  It should be the home of Bristol Rugby.  Then we know that our pitch would be reserved for the game of football and nothing else. 

The average attendance in the Rugby Prem last season was approx. 13,500 per game.

The average attendance in football league 1 was approx. 7,000 per game.

So Rugby is not to be sniffed at.

The interest in Rugby and Cricket in this country is massive, especially Internationally.

Where I live...it's hard to find football being played in the pubs...but Rugby is on all the time...with people watching.

Rugby and Cricket where I live is far more widely played as well over football.

I think it depends where you live to get a gauge on interest in football over Rugby.

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Chalk and cheese. I doubt success of one would harm the other in the short to medium term. 

More likely to spur on the other code's team.

Also note that until professionalism entered rugby, Bristol were by a long way the biggest club of the three. They supplied more players to England than the others put together.

Unfortunately the old buffoons who ran Bris when the game went professional, dithered and seemed to want amateurism to stay, whereas Bath and Gloucester were up to speed on what was needed.

In some ways City and Bris have mirrored each other in the last thirty years. Lack of management planning, lack of ambition and so on.

At least now with SL and Bristol Sport, there appears to be some sense of direction off the field even if both are still playing catch up on it.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:
12 minutes ago, spudski said:

The average attendance in the Rugby Prem last season was approx. 13,500 per game.

The interest in Rugby and Cricket in this country is massive, especially Internationally.

Where I live...it's hard to find football being played in the pubs...but Rugby is on all the time...with people watching.

I think it depends where you live to get a gauge on interest in football over Rugby.

They probably can't find a skittle alley big enough.

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

I come from Gloucester, where rugger buggery is pretty big, but I still think if Glos had a half decent football team, they would challenge the grunters. That is, if you could persuade all the bloody Man yoo tossers to go!

8 minutes ago, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

I come from Gloucester, where rugger buggery is pretty big, but I still think if Glos had a half decent football team, they would challenge the grunters. That is, if you could persuade all the bloody Man yoo tossers to go!

Hard to break tradition in areas fella. FGR moving nearer Glos might get some extra followers...and Cheltenham isn't that far either.

If Bristol Rugby were to get into the Prem, then I believe attendances would increase significantly.

16 minutes ago, marshy said:

Not one Skittle Alley in any of the pubs near me. Proper old village boozers...

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

What a load of rubbish, Rugby matters a lot too many in England, its a huge game, both Union and League. The English Union game is the richest in the World, so you really need to think about editing that post.

I have just done an quick internet trawl for numbers taking part on a regular basis in England.

Football 1.8 million. No data on gender.

Rugby 1.5 million male and 0.5 million female. I presume this is Union but could include Rugby League.

These figures may or may not be current or absolutely accurate but do indicate a sizeable numbers for both codes.

5 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Are you really claiming that someone would struggle to find a pub showing an England v Wales rugby match if there was a football match on?

3 hours ago, spudski said:

How can you compare the premiership of rugby with the third tier of football for attendances?

Bristol in the premiership rarely got 10,000 and averaged about 6,000. Their highest attendances were a couple of games against the likes of Bath at AG, where the attendance was boosted by a majority of Bath followers, the first attracted 21,00 and the second only 16,000, once the novelty wore off. If there were more games to pay for as in football, no doubt the attendance would drop accordingly. As I understand it, Bristol are struggling to get 7,000 though the turnstiles and they only really increase when the play offs come along.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

How can you compare the premiership of rugby with the third tier of football for attendances?

Bristol in the premiership rarely got 10,000 and averaged about 6,000. Their highest attendances were a couple of games against the likes of Bath at AG, where the attendance was boosted by a majority of Bath followers, the first attracted 21,00 and the second only 16,000, once the novelty wore off. If there were more games to pay for as in football, no doubt the attendance would drop accordingly. As I understand it, Bristol are struggling to get 7,000 though the turnstiles and they only really increase when the play offs come along.

Quiet easily...as you pointed out Bristol Rugby crowds aren't far off the average of league 1 crowds...of which BCFC have spent many years in.

It would be ridiculous to just dismiss the Rugby as a stream of revenue...especially beer sales. Ticket prices seem higher too...

There are many Rugby fans in and around Clifton...make Bristol a Prem team and people will come.

I've heard many fans from around that part of Bristol who hated going to the mem....

Archived