IGNORED

Wes Burns sub and things.

screech

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for aim high - we got JET after all in League One - but I just think those two were particularly unattainable. As Gray said, he chose Burnley for footballing reasons. The real situation I suspect is we were simply a pawn to flush out that bid. 

To use a non-football analogy, it was like a 4/10 (with potential ;)) chatting up a 9/10. They were beyond our reach and I think we tried too much too soon. 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not going to get into the JET debate,  but Cotterill's Achilles Heel is surely his substitution policy. 

Charlton were there - rocking on their feet - both of our forwards had missed open goals and Freeman was fading - why the **** not bring on a fresh pair of legs?!

You could sense Charlton starting to edge back into the game.  Everyone knew what was coming after all those spurned chances.

Why didn’t Cotterill? ?

He did. Just didn't know what to do with what he had. 

9 hours ago, screech said:

Anybody understand the thinking of why he bothered to get him on the pitch, he should have been on for Kodjia who is/was woeful in front of goal at about 70 minutes when he had been given enough chances to finish two games off. We had Cox on the bench too who hasn't been given a chance to see if he can score a better ratio of 1 in about 15 chances, although I don't blame Cotterill for our inability to win today, he has to take some criticism for this ridiculous substitution policy he has. Burns would have been the obvious choice to have a run at Charltons shaky defence today, especially when all they had left to salvage something was a longer ball, the game was stretched and Burns pace could have expoited this.

Another thinkg about Kodjia, although exciting to watch at times, is no JET in front of goal, and to think we paid £2m for him and we had JET already here, and that penalty.....

The reason Cotts failes to act re;substitutions is a lack of conviction, fearing criticism from the fans for making what they perceive to be a poor decision.don't get me wrong on this,I'm not blaming the fans!..for him,on a personal level maybe its just damage limitation.be sure though its costing us.a couple of timely changes yesterday would likely have secured all three points.

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

There are multiple websites that say he is five feet eight mr B. Take a look. The fact remains SC will not give him a run that is a fact despite his speed. It's not this lot/me that want him defending corners it's the bloke that's not picking him. As I said he's not getting what he's earned and won't under SC

You realise who you are telling , how tall Wes is , are you ????

:facepalm:

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He did. Just didn't know what to do with what he had. 

If he thinks Burns is only good for 60 seconds at the end, we may as well release him.

And Cox. Looked pretty industrious in the one cameo we've seen him in. He may not be 100% match fit,  but surely he would offer more than Freeman did in his last 20 minutes on the pitch?!

I have no problem with Cotts  playing his first choices for most of the match,  but as they tired we desperately needed fresh legs to keep Charlton penned in their end.

It was crying out for a sub from 70 mins onwards and however weak our subs bench is, Simon Cox is still good enough to come on and finish the game for us. 

So many positives yesterday, but naturally all overshadowed by poor management from SC to ensure the inevitable Charlton equaliser didn't happen.

Only positive is that Burnley are just one place above us in the form table, despite their league position (20th to our 21st), and that despite dicking Charlton the other day, they've struggled to score.

But being we lost to them at home already and couldn't beat the only team they've beaten soundly recently, I'm very worried.

Need one of those spectacular, unexpected performances from the boys tomorrow to get anything, I fear.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You realise who you are telling , how tall Wes is , are you ????

:facepalm:

I know exactly that is why I said there are multiple websites that say five foot eight MR B!!!!!!!!!!!:facepalm:

The fact Mr B has corrected that is great, try tapping in Wes Burns height and you and by now I'm sure Mr B will note the discrepancy 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If he thinks Burns is only good for 60 seconds at the end, we may as well release him.

And Cox. Looked pretty industrious in the one cameo we've seen him in. He may not be 100% match fit,  but surely he would offer more than Freeman did in his last 20 minutes on the pitch?!

I have no problem with Cotts  playing his first choices for most of the match,  but as they tired we desperately needed fresh legs to keep Charlton penned in their end.

Exactly my original post RR! I agree entirely!

Totaly gutted after yesterdays result felt like a loss, lots of very angry Reds around us at the final whistle. Why did Cotts not drag Wilbs and Kodja off after 70 mins. We could all see what was happening, Charlton pushed 4 up front and started hitting long balls into them, it was only a matter of time before they scored. Charlton celebrated as if they had won the match. Why have Cox and Burns on the bench bring them on a second goal for City would have killed Charlton of. They were a very poor team. At a loss to know what we can do second half of the season, I think we will survive but we must use our Subs better.

Archived