Jump to content
IGNORED

Team for Burnley


Chairman Mao

Recommended Posts

well, after the lack of subs a side effect of this will be we have some seriously tired players out there. Probably need wholesale changes for Burnley?

                     Fielding

Little - Moore/Ayling - Flint - Baker - Williams

                      Smith

               Ried    -    Pack

              Cox     -    Kodjia/Agard

depends on who is feeling it I guess?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bobby has to play. Yes he lacks a lot from his game, but he is the only player capable of playing our strikers through on goal. Freeman has been utter pants and we aren't getting much luck from crosses into the box either. Cotterill needs to stop being so stubborn with team selection if he wants to keep his job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Well we changed it all around at Derby and look how that went

only reason he changed the team that game is SC written that game off before it started, shame he didn't tell the 400 plus fans who travelled on a Tuesday night that he had given up. Disgraceful. But its games like yesterday that get u relegated not defeats away at derby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

Why discuss? It will be same lineup as always and no subs will be made

Pretty sure we haven't named an unchanged team in the last four..

Anyway with all the rain in the North surely it will be off?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure we haven't named an unchanged team in the last four..

Anyway with all the rain in the North surely it will be off?

Personally think that could be the best for us TBH. Going to a top side after the debacle of yesterday is not what I`d want. Also, the rearranged game would be after the January window.

Wait and see though, it`ll be the only game that`s on in the whole north west. Turf Moor`s fairly high above sea level (397 ft/118m according to wiki).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Obvious now that freeman is undroppable.

It may be that he was, but surely that comes down to letting a player who always puts in 100% play himself back into his best form.

Either way he doesn't deserve to be dropped on yesterday's performance.

The double skinning of that Charlton player by the touchline brought the loudest roars of approval from the crowd for individual skill since Jet left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

only reason he changed the team that game is SC written that game off before it started, shame he didn't tell the 400 plus fans who travelled on a Tuesday night that he had given up. Disgraceful. But its games like yesterday that get u relegated not defeats away at derby.

Maybe but Derby were in a similar spot to Burnley now when we played them, so why would he treat this one differently?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Maybe but Derby were in a similar spot to Burnley now when we played them, so why would he treat this one differently?

because he said on the radio after game no changes. I don't know what or why SC thinks like he does. Massive two away games coming up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It may be that he was, but surely that comes down to letting a player who always puts in 100% play himself back into his best form.

Either way he doesn't deserve to be dropped on yesterday's performance.

The double skinning of that Charlton player by the touchline brought the loudest roars of approval from the crowd for individual skill since Jet left.

He also played well against QPR, and I don't doubt the effort he applies, but it is becoming clear he is simply not going to be as effective at this level as he was in league one; it's a simple case of he not having the pace and/or physical presence to play the role he is occupying for us.

He also doesn't create nor threaten the goal anywhere near enough, and we are not in a position to be waiting on him finding either form, another yard of pace or the physical capabilities to impose himself on the opposition.

Bobby Reid must be cursing his luck after some impressive and effective cameos in Freeman's absence seem to have done nothing to give him a chance to show what he might be able to do in that role, and even then we need someone with more experience to help us out now.

And for what it is worth; Freeman having impressive footwork in his locker is good, but it counts for less than nothing if it doesn't result in something meaningful in terms of goal threat.  

He's an excellent player, but currently I think we need true competition for him, as he's not doing what is needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming no injuries, and having not seen yesterday's performance I'd go with:

Fielding

Ayling, Flint, Baker

Little, Bennett, Pack, Smith, Bryan

Burns, Kodjia

Cox can't play the game after, and Wilbs played 90 v Charlton, so let Wes start and stretch them.  Burnley aren't an overly pacy team.

Freeman given a rest, Bennett's energy in the middle 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It may be that he was, but surely that comes down to letting a player who always puts in 100% play himself back into his best form.

Either way he doesn't deserve to be dropped on yesterday's performance.

The double skinning of that Charlton player by the touchline brought the loudest roars of approval from the crowd for individual skill since Jet left.

Agree - Freeman has been much better in the last couple of games and deserves to keep his place against Burnley. This doesn't stop Reid from being brought on if need be - although whether Cotts would do this is another matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought this might interest some; decided to take a look at the starting line ups and subs/sub times of our four victories this season - interesting that in each case we used all three subs, with the first always with at least ten minutes to play, and in all cases with us defending leads.  

Not really many patterns to it, but have added in our % of possession too, as we've ended a lot of games we've drawn or lost with the majority of this, yet never had more than half in the games we've won.

Not a large sample to use, but what with the discussions over where to go from here, thought it might fuel things.

  • Huddersfield 2-1 away win (31%); Fielding, Bennett, Ayling, Flint, Moore, Bryan, Smith, Freeman (Little 89), Pack, Wilbraham (Agard 75), Kodjia (Cox 78)
  • Wolves 1-0 home win (50%); Fielding, Bennett (Little 78), Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams, Smith, Freeman (Moore 90), Pack, Agard (Wilbraham 81), Kodjia
  • Nottingham Forest 2-0 home win (47%); Fielding, Bennett (Little 90), Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams (Bryan 76), Smith, Freeman (Reid 82), Pack, Wilbraham, Kodjia
  • Middlesbrough 1-0 away win (31%); Hamer, Little (Fredericks 70), Ayling, Flint, Williams, Bryan, Pack, Smith, Reid (Wagstaff 78), Wilbraham, Kodjia (Burns 62)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, samo II said:

Thought this might interest some; decided to take a look at the starting line ups and subs/sub times of our four victories this season - interesting that in each case we used all three subs, with the first always with at least ten minutes to play, and in all cases with us defending leads.  

Not really many patterns to it, but have added in our % of possession too, as we've ended a lot of games we've drawn or lost with the majority of this, yet never had more than half in the games we've won.

Not a large sample to use, but what with the discussions over where to go from here, thought it might fuel things.

  • Huddersfield 2-1 away win (31%); Fielding, Bennett, Ayling, Flint, Moore, Bryan, Smith, Freeman (Little 89), Pack, Wilbraham (Agard 75), Kodjia (Cox 78)
  • Wolves 1-0 home win (50%); Fielding, Bennett (Little 78), Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams, Smith, Freeman (Moore 90), Pack, Agard (Wilbraham 81), Kodjia
  • Nottingham Forest 2-0 home win (47%); Fielding, Bennett (Little 90), Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams (Bryan 76), Smith, Freeman (Reid 82), Pack, Wilbraham, Kodjia
  • Middlesbrough 1-0 away win (31%); Hamer, Little (Fredericks 70), Ayling, Flint, Williams, Bryan, Pack, Smith, Reid (Wagstaff 78), Wilbraham, Kodjia (Burns 62)

Yes I've been wondering about having too much possession and losing. It sounds odd but so many teams in the championship seem to win, or get away draws with less of the possession. 

It seems playing a waiting game, keeping things tight and then hitting on the break is very effective.

I've nothing to back it up but I'm sure we even had as much possession if not more than Fulham when they went 4-0 up. We seemed to be playing well, they'd get the ball, attack, score.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Does it really matter who plays? It's like moving the deckchairs around on The Titanic

Remember who was mainly at fault for that disaster - the man in charge

@Ivorguy - any other insight to our problems other than Cotts?  Perhaps he is the ONLY problem.  Is that your view, that Cotts is solely to blame?

Personally I think our problems are more widespread than just our Manager.  Despite this I still think we'll stay up.

Cotts has his faults, but he also has strengths too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...