IGNORED

"this group of players"

headhunter

SC's comment yesterday about not wanting to upset the current players by talking about potential replacements echoed something similar that GJ said in the aftermath of our glory season (07-08) when the wheels started to come off his bandwagon. Someone tell me if I'm wrong but I am sure he said "this group of players got us where we are" almost as if we owed them something in a footballing world where any form of loyalty is a dirty word.

I wasn't at Turf Moor y'day but I saw the away hidings at Derby & Rotherham and I fear something similar at Reading.

Stick or twist is a discussion over SC that I have had with many City fans this past 2 months and the balance is still just about in favour of stick.

We as fans deserve something from SC about what is the point of Cox being here on loan. It's been long enough for him to gain full fitness if that was an issue. The lilly livered reporters on Radio Bristol should be asking these sorts of questions not quaking in their shoes about being on the receiving end of SC's sometimes terse attitude in responding to any question that remotely challenges his judgement.

I will use this post with my view on the wages issue. If we have a cap of say £12k per week and Player x wants £21k surely we can meet his demands by, on a 3 year contract, offering a signing on fee, interim & loyalty (at end of year 3) bonuses which equates to the same amount. As a team-mate of said player I may be a bit miffed at him earning moire than me but if it means me keeping my own Championship salary with my present contract through avoiding relegation  then when that expires I am in a stronger position to bargain for my own new one on the "going rate" argument for an uplift.

Stick or twist? For me it is twist but who we bring in ...... well the one's we would wish for are unlikely to come!

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

My main worry about SC is his inflexibility, and the lack of game time that our subs get. 

This trait is not a new phenomenon though.  Even during last season there were many occasions when the tactics and substitutes (lack of) could be questioned.  A leopard doesn't change it spots.

I agree, last season we had momentum and confidence, so got away with it. This season it has become obvious how predictable we are, and how opponents can set up to stop us playing/ exploit our weaknesses. We don't have a lot on the bench to change games, although maybe if given match time, Bobby and Wes could offer something different. 

9 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I agree, last season we had momentum and confidence, so got away with it. This season it has become obvious how predictable we are, and how opponents can set up to stop us playing/ exploit our weaknesses. We don't have a lot on the bench to change games, although maybe if given match time, Bobby and Wes could offer something different. 

Bobby and Wes have been excellent when they've come on this season. Certainly to warrant a regular and earlier inclusion. 

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

SC's comment yesterday about not wanting to upset the current players by talking about potential replacements echoed something similar that GJ said in the aftermath of our glory season (07-08) when the wheels started to come off his bandwagon. Someone tell me if I'm wrong but I am sure he said "this group of players got us where we are" almost as if we owed them something in a footballing world where any form of loyalty is a dirty word.

I wasn't at Turf Moor y'day but I saw the away hidings at Derby & Rotherham and I fear something similar at Reading.

Stick or twist is a discussion over SC that I have had with many City fans this past 2 months and the balance is still just about in favour of stick.

We as fans deserve something from SC about what is the point of Cox being here on loan. It's been long enough for him to gain full fitness if that was an issue. The lilly livered reporters on Radio Bristol should be asking these sorts of questions not quaking in their shoes about being on the receiving end of SC's sometimes terse attitude in responding to any question that remotely challenges his judgement.

I will use this post with my view on the wages issue. If we have a cap of say £12k per week and Player x wants £21k surely we can meet his demands by, on a 3 year contract, offering a signing on fee, interim & loyalty (at end of year 3) bonuses which equates to the same amount. As a team-mate of said player I may be a bit miffed at him earning moire than me but if it means me keeping my own Championship salary with my present contract through avoiding relegation  then when that expires I am in a stronger position to bargain for my own new one on the "going rate" argument for an uplift.

Stick or twist? For me it is twist but who we bring in ...... well the one's we would wish for are unlikely to come!

100% agree with the radio Bristol comments. Embarrassing questions asked rather than questions Tha actually matter like what is going on with Simon cox? And do u have a plan b? Have you fallen out with the owner?

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

100% agree with the radio Bristol comments. Embarrassing questions asked rather than questions Tha actually matter like what is going on with Simon cox? And do u have a plan b? Have you fallen out with the owner?

The only interviewers worth listening to are Durdain and Twentyman, if Ed Hadwin is interviewing you may as well just turn off the radio! Our player interviews are just as bad.

Without reading all the comments, I'm pretty sure there wasn't this same loyalty in the summer. We wanted to strengthen our squad and for whatever reason it didn't happen. As the deadline got closer it went from wanting to improve the squad with young experienced players, to there is a spike in the market, to failed bids, to these lads earned their right to a chance in this league, and finally to some shot in the dark loans. The summer didn't go the way anyone planned and it ruined the club's momentum. This loyalty has only come about because of our circumstance. I think the continued commitment to it is the realization that January isn't going to solve our problems unless we panic buy. Something I think the club won't do. So SC backs his players as best he can and hope they can fight hard and long enough to stay up. I think it's all hope at this point. 

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Bobby and Wes have been excellent when they've come on this season. Certainly to warrant a regular and earlier inclusion. 

No they haven't. 

In my opinion Reid is nowhere near championship quality. League 1 at very best. 

Burns might make it. I'd like to see him get a bit more game time. He could have had 30 minutes yesterday in place of Kodjia. 

10 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

No they haven't. 

In my opinion Reid is nowhere near championship quality. League 1 at very best. 

Burns might make it. I'd like to see him get a bit more game time. He could have had 30 minutes yesterday in place of Kodjia. 

rubbish, Burns has pace, little more

Reid has a good brain

Hard to say as neither of them get enough game time. Bobby has a lot of good attributes but still gives the ball away far too often. Wes has pace, and a bit more. Both need game time to develop, and either sink or swim. You can't expect young players to spend weeks inactive on a bench, then impress in a 5 minute cameo. Whether either will make it in the Championship can be debated, but whilst both remain rooted to the bench, they won't!

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Hard to say as neither of them get enough game time. Bobby has a lot of good attributes but still gives the ball away far too often. Wes has pace, and a bit more. Both need game time to develop, and either sink or swim. You can't expect young players to spend weeks inactive on a bench, then impress in a 5 minute cameo. Whether either will make it in the Championship can be debated, but whilst both remain rooted to the bench, they won't!

If we're not going to play them they may as well get sent out on loan to give them experience

No benefit to them or us just stagnating on the bench unused week after week

I share everyone's frustration at our current position. But what do people expect Cotts to come out and say? Cox is unfit and not up to it etc etc? I'm sure that would impress potential transfer targets ( something he has been accused of in the past! ) Outing specific players did mourinho a lot of good didn't it! If players can just down tools for him, people should realise what would happen here. He has been dealt a certain hand whether it's his fault or the board until January and he has to roll with it until then. He has to keep these players onside until then at the very least. I'm sure he has given them a rollicking as and when needed. I do though agree about Reid and Burns, more so Reid. He did have a good spell in the 1st eleven and is someone i rate. He has great attributes and some people's opinion of him remind me of the Bolasie comments I use to read on here. He needs to be given more game time, as did Bolasie. These are guys you need to play and accept they are going to make mistakes along the way, they will gain you more points than they lose you. Instead of trying to polish a turd if you like! 

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The only interviewers worth listening to are Durdain and Twentyman, if Ed Hadwin is interviewing you may as well just turn off the radio! Our player interviews are just as bad.

Fully loaded questions every time, almost like any manager dictates what the questions are going to be.

Hey up

Newbie here 

Finally thought I'd join in rather than be a voyure.......

Like everybody else I am massively disappointed at the moment, the Charlton game killed me off a bit of I'm honest......:laugh:

Just one question though, Was I really naive to think that by keeping most of our squad/team together from last year and then maybe adding a few more we would hold our own so to speak in this league?

Again maybe being naive but I honestly thought we'd be in a better position, I even remember my Dad telling me, who's in his late 60's and has been supporting City a long time that he thought this young crop of players had real potential to do very well.........

I guess what I'm grasping at is this 

Is this team not good enough or is it just a case of bad management?

I'd appreciate other people's thoughts on this as its really doing my head in

Cheers all 

10 minutes ago, Goatlover69 said:

Hey up

Newbie here 

Like everybody else I am massively disappointed at the moment, the Charlton game killed me off a bit of I'm honest......:laugh:

Just one question though, Was I really naive to think that by keeping most of our squad/team together from last year and then maybe adding a few more we would hold our own so to speak in this league?

Again maybe being naive but I honestly thought we'd be in a better position, I even remember my Dad telling me, who's in his late 60's and has been supporting City a long time that he thought this young crop of players had real potential to do very well.........

Cheers all 

Think we've got a decent core of players and with a few additions, could easily be a mid table side.

The system isn't winning games for us...and we are conceding for fun.

It worked last year...but not this.

The problem seems that the manager has a fixed idea that it will work and won't adapt...plus he obviously doesn't trust and rate certain players in the squad.

So for me it's down to a manager not wishing to change.

11 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I agree that I'd like to see Wes given more game time but how can you say he's been excellent when he's come on? His average appearance time seems to be about 127 seconds...how can he do anything in that time?

I like Wes, I want to see him given a real chance...

17 minutes ago, Goatlover69 said:

Hey up

Newbie here 

Cheers all 

I thought the same thing, still do in many respects. Just thought we needed a few championship quality additions. Just shows how quickly football can change I suppose. Confidence is a big thing, luck is another. But ultimately you have to take your chances when they fall for you, we don't. Other clubs do. I mean, we more than matched a half decent West Ham team last season. And I don't mean a in your face typical underdog FA cup tie, we outplayed them for periods of that game. But again, no cutting edge that eventually got punished. I don't buy into the formation argument, it worked then, it will work again. We all have our opinions on that & that's football. But I would guess not a single person on this forum would of not fancied us against 90% of the championship last season, unfortunately, it's not last season!

I remember people writing off Bryan after his first few games, Keogh, Pitman, Bolasie and Gherken off as championship level players. I really feel that Reid should be playing right now and would be more effective than Freeman (who's been nothing short of awful). 

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I remember people writing off Bryan after his first few games, Keogh, Pitman, Bolasie and Gherken off as championship level players. I really feel that Reid should be playing right now and would be more effective than Freeman (who's been nothing short of awful). 

Nothing wrong with Bryan or Freeman...or Reid...Bryan is basically made to be a running machine, running the line and defending one minute....crossing the next...then gulping for breath between each sortie.

Freeman is being asked to do the job of two men...he's completely ****ed most games...both mentally and physically...Reid must be wishing he was playing elsewhere....got talent, just needs time.

How about one up front....Kodj...5 midfield....Bennett, Reid, Smith, Freeman, Bryan....4 defenders Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Nothing wrong with Bryan or Freeman...or Reid...Bryan is basically made to be a running machine, running the line and defending one minute....crossing the next...then gulping for breath between each sortie.

Freeman is being asked to do the job of two men...he's completely ****ed most games...both mentally and physically...Reid must be wishing he was playing elsewhere....got talent, just needs time.

How about one up front....Kodj...5 midfield....Bennett, Reid, Smith, Freeman, Bryan....4 defenders Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams.

I like the current formation unfortunately. But having your front 5 players as Bryan Reid Bennett Burns and Kodjia would trouble any team on the counter and would let us sit a bit deeper. But my main change is definitely for Cotts to use Bryan and Reid in some capacity. 

Archived