IGNORED

Martin Ling resigns

Barrs Court Red

20 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

"Health Reasons".

Hope it all works out for the guy, although you'd imagine he won't be managing another club again. 

Poor bugger - him and El-Abd (!) have done a good job in pulling them away from relegation.  I think you're right, he's unlikely to get another go in league management again.

35 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was always an odd appointment

Following his ongoing illness, looks like he got to a point he felt comfortable in returning to work.  Ex player and all, it was as comfortable as it could have got for his return to work.  I think as a manager he will call it a day.  A good coach by all accounts.   I wish him well in his recovery.

On Sky they replayed the interview from when he took over at Swindon in which he said he truly believed he was over his illness and was raring to go again. It makes you wonder if you ever can get the black dog off your back or will it always be there in some form or another waiting to pounce. I`m no mental health expert but I know some on here are so I`m sure they would know a lot more about it.

9 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

On Sky they replayed the interview from when he took over at Swindon in which he said he truly believed he was over his illness and was raring to go again. It makes you wonder if you ever can get the black dog off your back or will it always be there in some form or another waiting to pounce. I`m no mental health expert but I know some on here are so I`m sure they would know a lot more about it.

Sometimes you think you've conquered the bastard, but it comes back, snapping unexpectedly at your heels.

Depression is a terrible thing, so many people suffer in silence but at least he's facing up to his challenges - managing a football team will always be emotional but with dark days it must be dreadful.

My thoughts and best wishes are with him...

There needs to be more investment into dealing with this type of illness. The Govt have recently been saying how many millions they're pumping in, but it's still miles off being enough to make a real difference. The sooner they realise this is a terrible, intrusive illness, the better.  

Can I just say, considering some of the responses I've seen to this announcement elsewhere on the internet being somewhat less than sensitive, it's refreshing to see that on a mainly male dominated forum, this thread has been as touching as it has regarding mental health issues. :) 

6 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Can I just say, considering some of the responses I've seen to this announcement elsewhere on the internet being somewhat less than sensitive, it's refreshing to see that on a mainly male dominated forum, this thread has been as touching as it has regarding mental health issues. :) 

You beat me to it Dolly. I was just about to post a similar sentiment.

It is indeed refreshing to read such sympathic comments.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

You beat me to it Dolly. I was just about to post a similar sentiment.

It is indeed refreshing to read such sympathic comments.

A mate of mine who I`d been going to the gate with for twenty + years went through it two years ago after he lost his job. He went from being a bloke who`d be stood outside his house or sitting in his car waiting for us to turn up and get off to Bristol to someone who more or less had to be dragged out the house kicking and screaming. We had to watch him all the time in case he went off into one of his black moods - strangely, us letting a goal in didn`t seem to bother him, we were dreading what he`d be like if we went behind but perhaps he was just so used to that it didn`t register, but other minor things like not being able to park in our usual place would just set him off.

His wife did tell me that she was grateful that we more or less dragged him off to games though as, win or lose, he seemed `better` for a while when he got home.

It made me realise that most of us are only one lost job/failed relationship/family bereavement away from the way he was and made me think. Fortunately he seems to be over it now and it is just the football that gets him down, just like the rest of us!

25 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

A mate of mine who I`d been going to the gate with for twenty + years went through it two years ago after he lost his job. He went from being a bloke who`d be stood outside his house or sitting in his car waiting for us to turn up and get off to Bristol to someone who more or less had to be dragged out the house kicking and screaming. We had to watch him all the time in case he went off into one of his black moods - strangely, us letting a goal in didn`t seem to bother him, we were dreading what he`d be like if we went behind but perhaps he was just so used to that it didn`t register, but other minor things like not being able to park in our usual place would just set him off.

His wife did tell me that she was grateful that we more or less dragged him off to games though as, win or lose, he seemed `better` for a while when he got home.

It made me realise that most of us are only one lost job/failed relationship/family bereavement away from the way he was and made me think. Fortunately he seems to be over it now and it is just the football that gets him down, just like the rest of us!

He's lucky to have chums like you. And a wonderful team to support :blink:

In my experience depression is never beaten, in the way that diabetes is never beaten.  What people can do, like with diabetes, is adopt a life style and attitude that enables them to live with it through coping strategies, support networks, paying careful attention to trigger points (such as bloody Christmas!!! grrrrhhhhh) etc.  Like addiction, it is always lying in wait for those with the condition. 

All the best to those afflicted - some of the most happy, joyous and free people I know are so due to having to come to terms with it.  It can become a blessing, although people in the midst of it don't tend to appreciate that message very much ;) 

Archived