IGNORED

Matt Smith

southvillekiddy

Matt Smith has made 12 appearances out of 24 matches for Fulham, all as a sub. not one start. Apart from one game against Cardiff, when he came on after 18 minutes and scored his one goal of the season, he has not made an appearance until the last quarter at best.

If he was expecting to start every game with Fulham after his amazing showing with us last season then he must be peed off.

Seems an obvious move to make a substantial bid for him next month. For a change we would know exactly what to expect - an intelligent powerful goal-scorer with both feet and his head. Maybe Kodjia would even pass to him. It wouldn't take the silly money we offered for Gray and Gayle

No he finished last year strong after the loan helping keep Fulham up. He started the first 4 league games this year and scored one and was playing well with McCormack. He then injured his knee and missed 2 months and made his return as a sub against us. He hasn't started since his return because Moussa Dembele has been scoring many goals and he's not better than McCormack. 

I would love to have him back here back its not going to happen I don't think. Moussa Dembele is out of contract and he could be moving on in January so they don't lose him for nothing. Also rumours McCormack is being looked at by prem clubs such as Bournemouth. If you add their transfer embargo it looks extremely unlikely Matt Smith would be available at all, loan or otherwise. 

Guest Redrobbin

Baffling why there not using him unless he still isn't 100% fit. 

They could do with a few more goals going forward. 

Having said that they are better defensively than us. Hence the better goal difference. 

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

No he finished last year strong after the loan helping keep Fulham up. He started the first 4 league games this year and scored one and was playing well with McCormack. He then injured his knee and missed 2 months and made his return as a sub against us. He hasn't started since his return because Moussa Dembele has been scoring many goals and he's not better than McCormack. 

I would love to have him back here back its not going to happen I don't think. Moussa Dembele is out of contract and he could be moving on in January so they don't lose him for nothing. Also rumours McCormack is being looked at by prem clubs such as Bournemouth. If you add their transfer embargo it looks extremely unlikely Matt Smith would be available at all, loan or otherwise. 

Beg pardon. Didn't read the Fulham stats 2nd page.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Beg pardon. Didn't read the Fulham stats 2nd page.

It's all good. Just like the full story for everyone. I've followed him quite closely only reason I responded. Your argument is still valid. If he was available I would hope we try. I just don't think he will be though he seems 4th choice at the moment behind McCormack, Dembele and now even Woodrow. 

Smiths record at this level is poor, whether he is the answer I'm not so sure. Think we need to be looking further afield. I'd like us to have a look at a loan move for Peter Crouch, a long shot I know but a proven player and has hardly featured for Stoke this year. Must be chomping at the bit!!

43 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Smiths record at this level is poor, whether he is the answer I'm not so sure. Think we need to be looking further afield. I'd like us to have a look at a loan move for Peter Crouch, a long shot I know but a proven player and has hardly featured for Stoke this year. Must be chomping at the bit!!

As daft as this sounds and I don't think for a minute that Peter Crouch will be on our radar, it would not surprise me if most/all of our targets this January are older more experienced players, rather than our usual preference of youth and potential. 

• Admin
8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Having seen how the rest of our squad have failed to impact the Championship, despite being too good for League One, I'm not so sure that Matt Smith is the answer for us at this level. 

Agree with you on this, people are remembering the Matt Smith that had a great impact playing up front with JET last season, not the player that hasn't really set the Championship on fire at any point in his career - for me he would be a long way down the list of what we need in January

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Agree with you on this, people are remembering the Matt Smith that had a great impact playing up front with JET last season, not the player that hasn't really set the Championship on fire at any point in his career - for me he would be a long way down the list of what we need in January

Got 5 in 12 for Fulham at the end of last year, got one early this year then got injured. Not sure he's played that much since. 

I don't know if it would be a good move for him, would be costly but probably improve the team. 

We could argue to death on this. We could really do a lot worse. If we are only going to loan then by all mean go for anyone in the premier league. Matt Smith at this level scores. On a per minute basis he scores 1 every 184 minutes. That's 1 every 2 games. He's certainly not prolific but his overall game isn't just a big lump up top. He scores, he links up, he assists, he provides an aerial threat and he's got the right attitude. I'm not sure Peter Crouch or Rickie Lambert care about Bristol City one bit and care if they performed for us. They'd be dropping from prem to a relegation zone championship club. Not exactly motivation to try your hardest. At least with Matt we know what we would know what we are getting 

I just don't get the thinking behind wanting Matt Smith.  The entire team proved they were too good for League One last season (Smith included during his stay), but have struggled to adapt to the Championship.

It is widely accepted that we need Championship quality players, why add yet another unproven Championship player?

3 minutes ago, JM91 said:

I just don't get the thinking behind wanting Matt Smith.  The entire team proved they were too good for League One last season (Smith included during his stay), but have struggled to adapt to the Championship.

It is widely accepted that we need Championship quality players, why add yet another unproven Championship player?

Because he isn't unproven? He's exactly the type we said we were looking for. Young, championship experience and good attitude. Before this year he had 60 appearances in the championship. He scored 17 in those 60 including many off the bench. That's why I broke it down per minute in an earlier post. The fact everyone thinks Bristol City is above a player like Matt Smith is why we failed in the summer. Punching well above our weight and getting nothing. If Matt Smith was here from day one I'm certain we'd have more goals. 

Now whether he was ever available or is now is a totally different topic but why are we all jumping at the names that are clearly too ambitious at the moment? This is what caused us to fail in the summer so lets make the same mistakes again?

Lets be fair, if we could persuade him to come here it would be a great move, unfortunately we need about another 5 or six players as well to boost the squad a bit. We need options so I'm afraid it's a case of over spending now and getting some numbers in. It harks back to a completely disastrous summer recruitment that we need to do summer and winter transfer signings in one swoop. They cannot afford to muck about in this one, get them in early and keep getting them.

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Because he isn't unproven? He's exactly the type we said we were looking for. Young, championship experience and good attitude. Before this year he had 60 appearances in the championship. He scored 17 in those 60 including many off the bench. That's why I broke it down per minute in an earlier post. The fact everyone thinks Bristol City is above a player like Matt Smith is why we failed in the summer. Punching well above our weight and getting nothing. If Matt Smith was here from day one I'm certain we'd have more goals. 

Now whether he was ever available or is now is a totally different topic but why are we all jumping at the names that are clearly too ambitious at the moment? This is what caused us to fail in the summer so lets make the same mistakes again?

Well you can't have it both ways, either he's unproven because he's rarely a starter and has played very few minutes in the Championship (at which point your minute by minute stats come in) or he's unproven as he has 69 Championship games (just one and a half seasons worth) and scored 18 goals.

Not to mention we would be buying a striker from the bench of a team that have earnt just 6 more points than us this season. 

Proven Championship players or stick with the unproven ones we already have, no point in more unproven inexperienced players.  For me, buying experience is the most important thing this January.

16 minutes ago, JM91 said:

Well you can't have it both ways, either he's unproven because he's rarely a starter and has played very few minutes in the Championship (at which point your minute by minute stats come in) or he's unproven as he has 69 Championship games (just one and a half seasons worth) and scored 18 goals.

Not to mention we would be buying a striker from the bench of a team that have earnt just 6 more points than us this season. 

Proven Championship players or stick with the unproven ones we already have, no point in more unproven inexperienced players.  For me, buying experience is the most important thing this January.

And which experienced decent championship player will be busting a nut to join a recently promototed bottom 3 championship club?

8 minutes ago, screech said:

And which experienced decent championship player will be busting a nut to join a recently promototed bottom 3 championship club?

Clearly for the manager to decide but it's hardly like I'm proposing to sign Messi.  We signed Wade Elliott when we were in League One.

28 minutes ago, JM91 said:

At the beginning of the season 60 championship appearances would have been close to as many as the entire squad combined without Aaron Wilbraham. A year and a half and almost 20 goals isn't unproven. I'd like to know who we could get that is better and just as realistic.

48 minutes ago, JM91 said:

Not to mention we would be buying a striker from the bench of a team that have earnt just 6 more points than us this season

Not to mention playing second fiddle in a team that have scored more than any other team in this division.  Scoring isn't a problem for Fulham, keeping them out is.  He formed a decent partnership with Ross McCormack at the back end of last season.

He wouldn't have been my first choice at start of season, but in our current situation, I think he could an almost perfect signing, especially alongside Kodjia.

At 26, he is the 10 year younger Wilbs that Cotterill eluded to (was it) post-Forest?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

And he`s from just up the road in Worcester don`t forget, location might swing it. I think when he was here before he was staying up there with his mum & dad.

Not sure he's from Worcester - or do you mean his parents live there?

2 hours ago, screech said:

Lets be fair, if we could persuade him to come here it would be a great move, unfortunately we need about another 5 or six players as well to boost the squad a bit. We need options so I'm afraid it's a case of over spending now and getting some numbers in. It harks back to a completely disastrous summer recruitment that we need to do summer and winter transfer signings in one swoop. They cannot afford to muck about in this one, get them in early and keep getting them.

Couldn't agree more Screech. If we do nothing we're going down, end of. If we need to overspend to get them through the front door, so be it. I'm not sure what relegation would cost us financially in the long run, but I'd suggest it would be a hell of a lot more than the amount to spend on some decent permanents (ok, easier said and done trying to sell the club to them!) or having to pay an additional fee to land some decent loans. As always though, it's not our cash, but SL's, and it's his call whether we stick or twist? The thought though of playing the SAGS next season which isn't out of the question as things stand is unthinkable! - Dam you Grimsby:grr:

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Not sure he's from Worcester - or do you mean his parents live there?

Born in Brum and his parents live Worcester/Evesham way. I remember SC saying in an interview that he only had to nip back up the M5 after games to stay with them and he reckoned it was better than him staying in a hotel in Bristol.

Smith was great for us last year. Pretty sure he would have come to us in the summer but we were too busy chasing Messi, Gayle and Andre. Whether he would come now to help in a relegation battle I do not know. Maybe the horse has bolted.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Good point breaking down Matt's goal ratio/minutes played.I'm not really one for stats but this one gives a far clearer picture..pretty sure we would have a few more goals in the bag too..only concern is maybe fitness..for sure though a no brainer as a loan.

2 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

How can anyone say Matt Smith's record at this level is poor...

5 in 12 when he returned to Fulham last season. (7 starts). Started off this season excellently before he got crocked.

Scored 12 in his one season with Leeds from 42 appearances, (just 21 starts)

Because some get entrenched in misleading stats and only consider the headline figures relevant. 

The idea that Matt Smith is not good/proven enough for us shows how deluded some people are. I would bite your hand off for Matt Smith now, considering how our season has gone so far. 

He's a handful for any defence, great attitude that would definitely lift our morale, good football intelligence that would provide opportunities for Kodjia, good finisher (with a pretty good goals to mins ratio at this level) also helpful for defending set-pieces. 

You know you're in for a battle when facing Matt Smith, and we need that kind of player right now. 

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

The idea that Matt Smith is not good/proven enough for us shows how deluded some people are. I would bite your hand off for Matt Smith now, considering how our season has gone so far. 

He's a handful for any defence, great attitude that would definitely lift our morale, good football intelligence that would provide opportunities for Kodjia, good finisher (with a pretty good goals to mins ratio at this level) also helpful for defending set-pieces. 

You know you're in for a battle when facing Matt Smith, and we need that kind of player right now. 

Spot on. When did someone like Matt Smith become not good enough for us? We had one great season in L1. That doesn't entitle us to anything. We tried too much too soon and now everyone thinks we need to be in for these fringe prem players. 

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

hipt breaking down Matt's g io/minutes played.I'm not really one for stats but this one gives a far clearer picture..pretty sure we would have a few more goals in the bag too..only concern is maybe fitness..for sure though a no brainer as a loan.

Good point this... no matter how good a time he had here last season, he may very well be hesitant to join a club in freefall (and that is what we are). A loan (again) until the end of the season to somewhere that he is comfortable with the option to return to the championship if it all goes tits up (or down) may in all likelihood appeal to him.

10 hours ago, Superjack said:

Good point this... no matter how good a time he had here last season, he may very well be hesitant to join a club in freefall (and that is what we are). A loan (again) until the end of the season to somewhere that he is comfortable with the option to return to the championship if it all goes tits up (or down) may in all likelihood appeal to him.

But it wont appeal to a team needing cash who are under a transfer embargo!! 

If we were to get him, i cant see it being for less than £3m to be honest as Fulham hold all the cards on this one. 

3 hours ago, nickolas said:

But it wont appeal to a team needing cash who are under a transfer embargo!! 

If we were to get him, i cant see it being for less than £3m to be honest as Fulham hold all the cards on this one. 

Fulham are in a transfer embargo precisely because they are living beyond their means. If they want to exit the transfer embargo then they need to trim (even during that embargo) otherwise it's a perpetual cycle. 

I do not think that they do (hold all the cards) and if they are confident of staying up (they ought to be with that squad) and scoring as they undoubtedly are, I'd say Matt Smith is a prime candidate for sale. 

I admit I don't know how quickly they can exit, but if they want the benefit of a summer transfer window they simply may have to sell now. With the exception of the clubs who are in real trouble, I really think those embargoed are actually in a very poor negotiating position - 'don't want our money, fine, good luck next season with no additions' - especially Fulham as I think their parachute ends now doesn't it? 

Interesting article:

Fulham Transfer Embargo

The only thing in their favour at the end of this season is the higher amount of debt you can run up....think it was £6m debt that put them in an embargo, but changes to £13m at end of this.

This world of loans, emergency loans, embargo, FFP is darned confusing.  

I guess we will see if they need to get rid of any players in this window.  Perhaps some clubs like Fulham, Forest and Bolton are able to play the strong selling club card in this window?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting article:

Fulham Transfer Embargo

The only thing in their favour at the end of this season is the higher amount of debt you can run up....think it was £6m debt that put them in an embargo, but changes to £13m at end of this.

I guess we will see if they need to get rid of any players in this window.  Perhaps some clubs like Fulham, Forest and Bolton are able to play the strong selling club card in this window?

If I was a fan of theirs I wouldnt have much  confidence. Sure they have sold some big players, but their most recent accounts show a £33m loss; and that was even as a Premier League club with all the additional turnover that brings. 

Plus that accounting period did not include buying Ross McCormack! 

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Probably being a bit dim here but if they can`t buy anyone why would they sell any current players (unless it was a stupid offer)?

Because they need to make sure their financial year losses fall into agreed league (Championship) limits under FFP, which I think is £13m at end of this season.  If they are losing £33m (quoted above), they've got some serious money to find!

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Probably being a bit dim here but if they can`t buy anyone why would they sell any current players (unless it was a stupid offer)?

Because if they don't get their house in order then the transfer embargo will continue. If their current outlay caused them to breach FFP then they have to increase turnover and/or shed costs, which if they want to do substantially will only really involve selling players. 

Of course it's a bit more than that; if they feel they are in trouble, or feel they can meet the new limits then they may not need to shed nor want to. 

But, they simply may have to sell if they want to buy next window. Their statement says they don't need to sell to meet FFP next year. However, wouldn't you say that to preserve any form of bargaining position? Judging by their most recent accounts, they have a long way to go. 

I think the point is they are under embargo because they are trying to gain an unfair advantage by overspending. They then need to level the playing field before being allowed to improve themselves  

Edit: beaten to it by davefevs. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting article:

Fulham Transfer Embargo

Pratley from bolton

Lansbury from forest

matt smith from Fulham .....

would be a nice start....

1 minute ago, shelts said:

Can we not buy some Championship class for a change something that will give the whole club a lift ?!

Kodjia? Bennett (tbc)? Baker on loan?  

Yeah, I think we can and have. 

Yes this old chestnut again... see he was unused sub again for Fulham yesterday. Has not made 1 start since Fulham changed manager and last few games, even though Fulham doing poorly, has not been brought off the bench even. Add to this that Fulham need to balance the books to get out of transfer embargo and I really can't understand why we are not in for him.

For me he would be perfect foil for Kodjia, at 26 is a better bet than YK at 34 and you would have thought would want to come here, unlike Zach Clough who may reluctantly move then not perform.

Archived