IGNORED

Poll: So who's to blame?

PhilC

So who's to blame?  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum with much interest over the last few weeks and it is becoming clear that there is a split between who is to blame for the current situation at BCFC. As a result I thought I would run a poll to get an idea of the numbers of OTIB users (which of course does not reflect the opinion of the entire fan base) who think either Steve Coterill or the board are to blame for the current situation at BCFC?

It would seem that some appear to be blaming the manager whilst others are blaming the board, particularly with the lack of summer signings, and I'm just interested to see the numbers. I'm not trying to start any arguments, or in fighting, nor do I think the results should reflect what happens next, I just wanted to see the general consensus of forum users.

Cheers

PC

Stupid question :P

But seriously, how can anyone answer? Just because a poor summer occurred doesn't mean blame can be apportioned wholly to one or the other. Who knows, perhaps both were reasonable in their own approach. 

I've said it before, I think conflict between the board and the manager is a good thing. They both, ought, have competing interests. SC must press for the very best immediately given how short a manager's job is; whereas the board need to temper him and have the club's long term interests at heart. They should both then have a different focus - IMO. But if there's no compromise then something has gone far wrong; or if the parties dallied preventing plan B  also. But from afar how can anyone begin to guess who got it wrong and in what proportion? 

The summer was a disaster but why does there always have to be someone to blame. Who do we think we are? If we scrape survival weve done alright. What did people expect? Both as the last poster suggested is probably fairest, but transfers don't always go the way you want them to. No one's fault, bad luck, move on. Agents call the shots, not Steve Cotterell or Steve Lansdown. We're just not that important in the grand scheme.

Too simplistic a question. Lack of permanent signings, leads to loans, who are not played, no change in tactics, no subs etc. The way the lack of signings has been dealt with is the problem. Who was at fault for the lack of permanent signings - we don't know. It could have been a number of factors, some of our own doing (deals gone wrong, stalling tactics etc) or external to the club (agents, players not wanting to come, or signings at other clubs falling through). How you react to that problem is key. 

Did people really think last season that this team it's players and the only style we ever played were good enough to stay up this year? Warning signs were there. It's Cotterells owns failings that lets us down but ultimately the board and there complete lack of football awareness which are responsible.

Who is to blame for a championship and cup winning team failing to develop and grow as individual players and as a team unit? 

Who seems so intent to use the same 11 players week in week out despite it being plain to see some of them are physicallt fatigued, some are devoid of confidence, and some need a bit of work put in away from the first xi to rediscover their form?

Manager and coaching staff for me.

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

Who is to blame for a championship and cup winning team failing to develop and grow as individual players and as a team unit? 

Who seems so intent to use the same 11 players week in week out despite it being plain to see some of them are physicallt fatigued, some are devoid of confidence, and some need a bit of work put in away from the first xi to rediscover their form?

Manager and coaching staff for me.

I agree, also needs to be looked at how many late goals we concede, valuable points thrown away constantly in the last few minutes.

9 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Did people really think last season that this team it's players and the only style we ever played were good enough to stay up this year? Warning signs were there. It's Cotterells owns failings that lets us down but ultimately the board and there complete lack of football awareness which are responsible.

Dare I ask but - what were the 'warning signs' you saw last season?  

5 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

I think they were there against the better teams in the table, especially against Sheff U, Preston, MK Dons. They all made us look ordinary and not as invincible as some may have thought. 

31 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

On the rare occasions teams matched us we never had an alternative plan. Either the manager doesnt have one or the players  (whilst talented enough fir plan A) are not talented enough for a plan b. This season was always going to see us play far better teams and this ability to adapt would have been vital.

The Championship has improved over the last couple of years and from watching on Sky its the speed and technical ability which have developed the most. Our midfield was never going  to get the time and space it needed last year but this was compounded by the fact thst it is too lightweight to create time for itself or compete when the opposition has the ball.

We relied heavily on wingbacks and this system needs the oppisition to genuinely perceive a threat and therefore sit back and invite you on. It was a wonderful self fulfilling prophecy last year. The Championship comes with far better full backs/wingers and which do not sit back and we therefor do mot push on in the same vein, either nullifying our attacking threat or even worse being caught on the break.

Lastly the lack of pace. So obvious it would seem but really highlighted at this level. Not just physical pace but tempo. Picking the right pace on first or second touch, but definitely not taking 4/5 touches.

From about Feb last year i thought we were up and when you started to watch the Championship we looked 5 or 6 players short to really compete, 3/4 to stay up. I mean Championship quality as well, not just new faces.

I certainly thought the team of last season would be good enough to stay up in this division. You can pick out examples where any title winning team didn't play well but when you finish within touching distance of 100 points then you've done pretty dam well. 

I also thought we'd finish above MK Dons and PNE.

Its clear we need to reinforce in the transfer window but I personally feel there are several players who are good enough for this level and aren't showing it. If Cotts can't get the best out of them then I guess somebody else should be given the chance to.  

ffs no-body Knows because no one person is to blame.

Same old, same old why must some look for "to blame" there is no magic cure.............we just fightback (or chuck the towel in)

I agree we keep on fighting and keep on going until the mathematical end. You must believe until its over.

What has upset me this year is that i honestly thought this was the time ehere everyone knew the plan and we got it right and started to build. What i have witnessed has left me questioning if we honestly know what we're doing in a footballing sense.

6 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

I certainly thought the team of last season would be good enough to stay up in this division. You can pick out examples where any title winning team didn't play well but when you finish within touching distance of 100 points then you've done pretty dam well. 

I also thought we'd finish above MK Dons and PNE.

Its clear we need to reinforce in the transfer window but I personally feel there are several players who are good enough for this level and aren't showing it. If Cotts can't get the best out of them then I guess somebody else should be given the chance to.  

I think most of us thought this team would handle the step up better than they have. There are a lot of people now claiming they knew we would struggle, but the general consensus on this forum at the end of last season was that we would survive comfortably enough with what we already had. No one was talking about aiming finish 21st. 

Granted no-one expected the shambolic summer that followed though, which has unquestionably moderated our ambition.

Archived