IGNORED

Poll: So who's to blame?

PhilC

So who's to blame?  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh enough about JET already. Would have made no difference

Apart from early season when we had no option but to play Wilb constantly dispite him being knackered 

another striker who who knew the team role would have been nice! 

After so many referring to Tetbury Massive's post from another thread I thought I'd better go find it. It may be true, it may be false. It's worrying that so many have taken it as the truth but that's not what I'm posting about. Put yourself in the chairman's shoes. Had we of sealed the deal on Gray and Maguire, that would have been nearly £10m spent on 2 players!!! With FFP in place and our current limited capacity, to spend that much would be ludicrous. Some might say that this is how it is now in the championship and you need to spend that sort of money to compete, well, other than Derby (30k attendances) and Burnley (parachute payments) not many teams are spending that sort of money on transfer fees. Look at forest, spent a crazy amount on Britt Assombalonga and are now under a transfer embargo. 

As far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't have been going after multi million pound signings this season. It seems cotterill didn't care how much these players were going to cost the club, he just wanted them in. That's the sort of attitude that finds you a year down the road, battling relegation with a transfer embargo. 

13 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

After so many referring to Tetbury Massive's post from another thread I thought I'd better go find it. It may be true, it may be false. It's worrying that so many have taken it as the truth but that's not what I'm posting about. Put yourself in the chairman's shoes. Had we of sealed the deal on Gray and Maguire, that would have been nearly £10m spent on 2 players!!! With FFP in place and our current limited capacity, to spend that much would be ludicrous. Some might say that this is how it is now in the championship and you need to spend that sort of money to compete, well, other than Derby (30k attendances) and Burnley (parachute payments) not many teams are spending that sort of money on transfer fees. Look at forest, spent a crazy amount on Britt Assombalonga and are now under a transfer embargo. 

As far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't have been going after multi million pound signings this season. It seems cotterill didn't care how much these players were going to cost the club, he just wanted them in. That's the sort of attitude that finds you a year down the road, battling relegation with a transfer embargo. 

Actually if you take the figures TM quotes it is nearer 5m, which was a lot less than the numbers being quotes for just one player at the end of the summer. So if it is true, which I'm tending to believe, then we really messed up in a big way as I truly believe we would be higher than we are with Maguire and Grey in the team. Imagine how many goals Grey and Kodjia would have got from the chances we were creating, tho it sounds like we aren't creating as much at the min.

£4.5m for Gray, £2.5m for Maguire, £3m for Kodjia and how much do you think the Nathan Baker loan has cost us in wages and loan fee? Thats over £10m without even touching the midfield. 

Even with these players, Cotterill would still only have 1 game plan and fail to react to whats happening on the pitch. IMO, tactically he is out if his depth. A better manager would have this current squad higher up the table without spending crazy money. 

26 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Had we of sealed the deal on Gray and Maguire, that would have been nearly £10m spent on 2 players!!! 

But you weren't talking about all transfer dealings.  You just said 10m on 2 players, as quoted above. And like I said, actually it is nearer 5m.

I've now read Tetbury Massive's post.  It's interesting, and appalling, and I can completely believe it as it explains a lot about the change that's come over Cotts this season.  But where it leaves me is this:

a) The manager is clearly hacked off with the board and it's been affecting his behaviour in press conferences.

b) The manager may or may not be playing games with the team selection to make a point to the board.

c) The manager has clearly got no ideas of where to improve things where we are now.

d) The tension between the manager and the board is hampering the team.

So, whilst it may seem unfair that the board's transfer balls-up ultimately means we need to sack the best manager we've had in my lifetime, that's nonetheless where we are.  We can't get relegated on the basis of a spat between the board and manager and we are going to get relegated if we don't all pull together.  If the manager isn't able to put the transfer mess behind him, which it seems he isn't, then we have to bring someone else in and then not balls up that relationship. 

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've now read Tetbury Massive's post.  It's interesting, and appalling, and I can completely believe it as it explains a lot about the change that's come over Cotts this season.  But where it leaves me is this:

a) The manager is clearly hacked off with the board and it's been affecting his behaviour in press conferences.

b) The manager may or may not be playing games with the team selection to make a point to the board.

c) The manager has clearly got no ideas of where to improve things where we are now.

d) The tension between the manager and the board is hampering the team.

So, whilst it may seem unfair that the board's transfer balls-up ultimately means we need to sack the best manager we've had in my lifetime, that's nonetheless where we are.  We can't get relegated on the basis of a spat between the board and manager and we are going to get relegated if we don't all pull together.  If the manager isn't able to put the transfer mess behind him, which it seems he isn't, then we have to bring someone else in and then not balls up that relationship. 

Or the alternative is members of the board who were responsible go (Pelling maybe) or hold their hands up and learn from their mistakes and put them right in this window, first and foremost and then in the summer should we survive in the Championship, by backing Cotterill and getting in the players he wants.

32 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Or the alternative is members of the board who were responsible go (Pelling maybe) or hold their hands up and learn from their mistakes and put them right in this window, first and foremost and then in the summer should we survive in the Championship, by backing Cotterill and getting in the players he wants.

Is that actually an alternative though?  If it is an alternative, all well and good.  But it seems more than a little idealistic. If the whole business has hacked Cotterill off so much he's lost his desire in the job (which frankly would explain a lot as far as I can see) the situation may not be retrievable.  A disunited club WILL get relegated and, if the manager can't bring himself to pull in the same direction of the rest of the club, the manager has to go.  Nobody is bigger than the club - Cotts included.

London Bristolian, I hear what you're saying but if it was that bad he should have/would have walked in the Summer. I suspect relationships have been mended since, or at least I hope they have, and that we survive this season and give Cotts the backing to push on in the summer but this window will not be the miracle some are hoping/expecting.

6 hours ago, jambodinho said:

£4.5m for Gray, £2.5m for Maguire, £3m for Kodjia and how much do you think the Nathan Baker loan has cost us in wages and loan fee? Thats over £10m without even touching the midfield. 

Even with these players, Cotterill would still only have 1 game plan and fail to react to whats happening on the pitch. IMO, tactically he is out if his depth. A better manager would have this current squad higher up the table without spending crazy money. 

So tactically he's out of his depth, but you're not?

14 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

I certainly thought the team of last season would be good enough to stay up in this division. You can pick out examples where any title winning team didn't play well but when you finish within touching distance of 100 points then you've done pretty dam well. 

Exactly this. Something is seriously wrong when a league and cup double winning team fall apart as we have. 

If what has been said is true, then I think both are very much to blame.

Transfer window shambles & targets aside, I think SC's stubbornness in just about everything - substitutions, not making the most of the small squad we have, unwillingness to change systems and complete lack of a plan B - which IMO is bordering on arrogant, are also major factors in our demise. Despite his comments that he cannot get anymore out of these players, I completely disagree. I think they have the potential to be comfortably better than their current league position. 

Every team we play know exactly how we will set up and who will be playing, we do half of their preparation for them. 

Archived