IGNORED

Is Steve Cotterill The Best Man To Take City Backwards?

Curr Avon

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

A number if posters on this forum have stated that if City are relegated to League One; which would be an omnishambles, that Cotterill  is the best man to lead us back to The Championship.

Where is the logic?

I'd say the logic was pretty simple. He did it last year in spectacular fashion. It was easy. I'm not saying he should be here if we were to get relegated but it's a pretty reasonable argument that he'd be a decent bet to take us back up again!

11 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

A number if posters on this forum have stated that if City are relegated to League One; which would be an omnishambles, that Cotterill  is the best man to lead us back to The Championship.

Where is the logic?

I think you took my post on another thread out of context.

15 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Going down is not an option.

Of course it is. It wouldn't be a choice we'd make but it's clearly a possibility which people need to accept. Everyone at the club will be doing the best within their means to avoid that for sure.

But as Fordy said, it's pretty simple logic to suggest that the last guy that got us promotion less than a year ago could potentially do it again. Obviously logic doesn't seem to fit the agenda or rationale for a lot of posters on here at the moment though.

1 minute ago, roe said:

Of course it is. It wouldn't be a choice we'd make but it's clearly a possibility which people need to accept. Everyone at the club will be doing the best within their means to avoid that for sure.

But as Fordy said, it's pretty simple logic to suggest that the last guy that got us promotion less than a year ago could potentially do it again. Obviously logic doesn't seem to fit the agenda or rationale for a lot of posters on here at the moment though.

I have no agenda. I merely point out that it would be unlikely to bounce back from league 1 first time of asking. 2 years was good going last time, remember it took us 9 seasons the time before that. If we want to progress as a club we have to avoid relegation at all costs.

I'll be honest, I was totally underwhelmed with his appointment but as last season wore on, I really thought he was the right man, right place, right time.

I honestly thought we'd kick on, but the summer signings left me feeling nervous. As this season has worn on its clear not only is Cotts' time up, but there's a much bigger issue at the club which needs to be fixed.

Gutted doesn't even come close.

37 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Where is the logic?

Very simple - he staved off relegation from League One fodder and built to a double winning team in no time at all. 

If he took play off contenders up maybe I could see where you are coming from, but he didn't. He took a crap outfit playing crap and complimented it with what was needed by making the right signings at that level. 

I fail to see the logic in we shouldn't believe he could! 

If we were relegated we'd be without a few key players. Ayling, Kodjia, Smith, probably Wilbs and no Baker and Bennett on top of losing GC and JET from our last L1 season.  That's best case if no one gambles on Bryan, Freeman, Agard or Flint. 

Point is, it would be a completely different team from the double season. Sure we will be a better bet to sign the best of lower leagues but its not an easy league to get out of, especially if you need 8-10 new faces. Could it be done? Sure but it's no guarantee we go up anytime soon. Took Preston awhile, Sheff U is still trying to find a way back, Wigan aren't flying and top. It's a tough league. One where I don't think we'd be relegation candidates but certainly not probably even favorites to go back up if we go back down. 

How many managers have taken teams up, been relegated with them, then gone straight back up?

I'd wager none, or very, very few at most.

And the presumption is he'll be able to recruit like he did, which likely with the promise of a promotion season, then the chance for those players to get a shot in the Championship - this will unlikely be an option, and as I've laid out elsewhere, I think a number of the players he has who formed a key part of the promotion team (be they players he signed or inherited) will be gone if we go down.

Looking at how thin the squad is now (we've signed a single player to a permanent contact in 12 months, not including Fredericks), we do not have the same baseline SC had when he came in; it would be a significantly different and more complex challenge for SC to rebuild us in the summer, if we went down.

I'm of the opinion that with the correct recruitment now, we will stay up; that is the only objective I hold SC to - if he does that even just on goal difference having signed no one this window, then he continues to have my full support, regardless of how odd his decision making looks.

But if we go down, regardless of the issues that might exists elsewhere behind the scenes, then he's failed, so for me; we need a new approach.

Plus; if we go down because his relationship with the board meant he struggled to strengthen a squad a blind man could see needed it, then why on earth would we keep a man who cannot work with the board/owner?  They aren't going anywhere, so that makes no sense.

10 minutes ago, samo II said:

How many managers have taken teams up, been relegated with them, then gone straight back up?

I'd wager none, or very, very few at most.

I'd guess the reason it's so few is simply they aren't given a chance. However, Steve Bruce is making a very decent fist of it this year. Could be wrong but perhaps Tony Mowbray at West Brom? I imagine Dario Gradi did or nearly did, but that's straw clutching simply because I can't think of many who do survive a relegation in any case. 

47 minutes ago, roe said:

Using the same logic, would we then sack Cotts immediately once promotion was re-achieved, as he would be proven to be incapable at Championship level, or would we stick with him on the basis that if we went down again, he would again be the best person to take us back up again?!

34 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I swear some of our "fans" love it when we aren't doing so well, just so they can jump up and down on their bridges and yell "haha I told you so!" 

Or ring up Radio Bristol and spout shit 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Using the same logic, would we then sack Cotts immediately once promotion was re-achieved, as he would be proven to be incapable at Championship level, or would we stick with him on the basis that if we went down again, he would again be the best person to take us back up again?!

I think your on to something here, it's the new long term management job strategy. Win promotion then totally mess everything up the next year to get relegated. The fans then remember what a great manager you were in league 1 last time and give you the chance to do it all again. Rinse and repeat......job security for life!!

Is he capable of turning around a struggling side and getting them promoted from league 1? Well obviously, and the logic of that shouldn't need explaining. Would he be the best man to do that job next season? Who can say. Let us hope we're not in the position to find out. Will your efforts to establish the word 'omnishambles' as a thing on this site prove successful? Not sure, but give it a go.

The problem is, in my eyes, if we don't change manager now (I'm not saying we should. I still believe, just) then what do we do..? Wait until the end of the season when we are back in L1 before finding a new manager? Who would we get that is better than SC at L1 level..?

if we change now and go down anyway, then is it really the man who will then be capable of getting us back up within a season or two..? Doubtful. 

Its a tough call. I hope and prey then SC will see that by being a little bit more flexible in his tactics and more decisive in this substitutions, he had keep us up and build again for next summer. 

Surely all the talk of unrest between SC and the board can't be accurate, otherwise he'd be sacked or have walked by now (depending on where the alleged issue lies)

I think at the end of the day we all believed that more of last seasons squad would be capable of challenging in the Championship, which has not been the case. 

We need to strengthen, of course, we all know that. 

Relegation would be a disaster in every possible way, to the club. If we can scrape staying up then we need to learn a lot of lessons from this season and act accordingly. 

What the real shame in all this is that otib is full of threads criticising the board/manager/players etc and yet at this time when the team and club need to pull together this forum seems to take more pleasure in turning against the club. 

I appreciate that the purpose of a forum is to vent free speech and everyone is entitled to their opinion but this place takes the p*** when it comes to a time when we could really use the energy and passion to help rally and support the team (including Cotts) rather than turn on the club, demand sackings and slating players who last year did so well.

We hear so often how players feel the effect of support from the fans and that goes to show how we can make such a difference. Such a shame.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

I swear some of our "fans" love it when we aren't doing so well, just so they can jump up and down on their bridges and yell "haha I told you so!" 

If we were doing well we would all be talking about other things but having seen us escape the football doldrums last season many of us are exasperated at how the club are performing .

Should we really all abstain from sharing our concerns and pretend that everything in the Bristol City garden is rosy ?

19 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

What the real shame in all this is that otib is full of threads criticising the board/manager/players etc and yet at this time when the team and club need to pull together this forum seems to take more pleasure in turning against the club. 

I appreciate that the purpose of a forum is to vent free speech and everyone is entitled to their opinion but this place takes the p*** when it comes to a time when we could really use the energy and passion to help rally and support the team (including Cotts) rather than turn on the club, demand sackings and slating players who last year did so well.

We hear so often how players feel the effect of support from the fans and that goes to show how we can make such a difference. Such a shame.

A fat lot of good it's done us so far this year .

I love the lads to bits ,they all appear to be great characters and give their all for the club . It's not enough .

And Cotts (and every other critic) has made it clear that we haven't got the right balance or depth yet but apart from loans Cotts hasn't had the opportunity since the summer to fix it.  Now that this window is here, he'll be able to strengthen and improve the squad and hopefully we'll improve our position. The point is that we all know it's been bad so far but this is the time for us to continue to support the team. If (and a big if) any of the players or management read this forum you'd think that some of the fans do not support the team one bit.

Keep supporting it will get better.

39 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

What the real shame in all this is that otib is full of threads criticising the board/manager/players etc and yet at this time when the team and club need to pull together this forum seems to take more pleasure in turning against the club. I think you're over playing the importance of a forum, it's only representative of a small population of the fan base and I doubt it's been read by anyone at the club who really matters.

The media team are lazy. Kodjia, here since July. Yes, he's French and can't speak fluent English but fans are excited by him - to do absolutely no content with him is absurd. Pre-match interviews are dreadful, would be better to provide footage to the press conference that SC gives to local journalists; longer, more detail and less inane questioning. Serious kick up the backside or change in personnel needed. Much like our current playing squad. What happened to pulling together, you've just had a pop (justifiably) at more than one part of the club.

I appreciate that the purpose of a forum is to vent free speech and everyone is entitled to their opinion but this place takes the p*** when it comes to a time when we could really use the energy and passion to help rally and support the team (including Cotts) rather than turn on the club, demand sackings and slating players who last year did so well. After watching the manager play the same tacticts, with the same players, madness may I add. As you say it's a place to offer freedom of speech, I'd add to your comments of turning on the club and as below remind you of the 3k that turned to reading expecting a spanking yet sang their hearts out and tried to spur on the team in such dire circumstances, what more is there to do.

We hear so often how players feel the effect of support from the fans and that goes to show how we can make such a difference. Such a shame. We're there not 3k cheering on at Reading yesterday, that's proper support especially when you look at the dross we have to put up week in week out! Still not as bad as Burnley, what an improvement.

6 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

And Cotts (and every other critic) has made it clear that we haven't got the right balance or depth yet but apart from loans Cotts hasn't had the opportunity since the summer to fix it.  Now that this window is here, he'll be able to strengthen and improve the squad and hopefully we'll improve our position. The point is that we all know it's been bad so far but this is the time for us to continue to support the team. If (and a big if) any of the players or management read this forum you'd think that some of the fans do not support the team one bit.

Keep supporting it will get better.

We all support the team, but a large number of us can no longer back a manager who continues to repeat the same mistakes, game after game and is completely unrepentant and refuses to change. 

Four wins in twenty five games is only part of the story. If Cotterill had fully utilised his small squad, given Reid, Burns, Cox and Robinson a run of starts, made tactical substitutions in the majority of matches before the 70th minute, and abandoned a formation that even Louis Van Gaal gave up on, then he would be justified in saying he'd tried everything to get results. If he had done those small things he'd still have my support and a number of others.

12 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Where is the logic?

I say let him get us promoted from L1 again and win us the JPT for a 4th time...then whilst he's having photos taken on the pitch holding 2 trophies after spanking some mob 8-2 on the last day of the season get Steve Lansdown to march onto the pitch with a mic and sack him in front of a full house.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 02:15, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I say let him get us promoted from L1 again and win us the JPT for a 4th time...then whilst he's having photos taken on the pitch holding 2 trophies after spanking some mob 8-2 on the last day of the season get Steve Lansdown to march onto the pitch with a mic and sack him in front of a full house.

Have you been watching the Game of Thrones box set over Christmas?

Archived