IGNORED

Who do we need in the window

MarkRed!

So, SC says that there are no irons on the fire when asked about transfer activity. I suspect that this was a bluff given that we have allowed 3 loan players to leave early. BUT who would you like to see us sign. 

My wish list apart from Messi and Ronaldo would be any of the following:

GK - Bentley (Southend) - a much bigger presence than Fielding. Good shot stopper, solid and under 25. 

CD: Harry McGuire (Hull) - he was a real presence. Not sure we could get him though. 

LWB: Ben Gladwin (QPR) can't get in the team would be ideal playing down the left hand side of our team. 

CM: Yasir Kasim (Swindon) - good holding player. 

CM: Massimo Luongo (QPR) - can't get in the team, would be useful for us. 

CM: Louis McGugan - (Sheff Weds) - championship player and I think was at forest with SC (I think).

CM: Ravel Morrison - attacking and creative player. Looking to come back to UK. Bigger clubs won't touch him, but worth a risk.

CM: Chris Commons - attacking and creative player. Not sure we could get him but has worked with SC before.  

F: Matt Smith (Fulham) - did well for us and more mobile than AW. 

F: Anthony Stokes, (Celtic) - fallen out at Celtic, skilful player. Would be decent playing behind the front two.

F: Jan Kermongent (Bournemouth) Target man if we cannot get Smith. 

I would also try and make Nathan Baker and Elliot Bennett's signings permanent. 

The mention of Morrison is interesting, so much ability but a complete head case. Would certainly add quality to our starting 11.

A player I would add to your list is Scott Parker at Fulham, I don't think he is starting many games. Wages would certainly be an issue but good on the ball and always prepares to put his foot in. How realistic that is, not too sure 

1 minute ago, WOODSY1111 said:

John Bostock is playing in Belgium and wants to return back to England could probably get him for a reasonable price! 23 yo centre midfielder is he worth looking at?

Too much of a gamble in this window. If there was a pre season to bed in I think it would be a good shout, but we need players to hit the ground running at Championship level.

36 minutes ago, daored said:

The mention of Morrison is interesting, so much ability but a complete head case. Would certainly add quality to our starting 11.

A player I would add to your list is Scott Parker at Fulham, I don't think he is starting many games. Wages would certainly be an issue but good on the ball and always prepares to put his foot in. How realistic that is, not too sure 

Parkers reportadly on 70k a week at Fulham 

Just been reading Sam Allardyce's autobiography, he mentions Ravel Morrison, he took him from Man United, Sir Alex Ferguson told him that Morrison is 'unmanageable', and after a few months of not turning up to training, driving without a licence, Allardyce agreed! 

5 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Just been reading Sam Allardyce's autobiography, he mentions Ravel Morrison, he took him from Man United, Sir Alex Ferguson told him that Morrison is 'unmanageable', and after a few months Of not turning up to training, driving without a licence, Allardyce agreed! 

Yeah I wouldn't take Morrison. He has ability for sure, but one thing that can't be questioned about this group of players is their togetherness and attitude to one anther. I feel Morrison could cause problems within the squad and with himself which is the last thing we need at this stage.

Who on earth knows who is available, affordable or willing to come?

But Fulham are making noises about needing rather than wanting to sell, so if there was ever a time to get Matt Smith (who despite the doubter I believe would prove an excellent option for us), it surely is now, as they have no intention of selling McCormack or Woodrow.

Equally; I'd suggest we could do far worse than assessing who at Bolton would bolster us, and while Clough might be pie-in-the-sky, I'd happily take Neil Danns back (sure I'll get slagged for suggesting two old players, but am basing this off more than just their times here).

Outside that it is realty a massive guessing game, but I do think the majority of the names suggested in the OP are a little too ambitous, and if you're expecting players of that pedigree, you will be disappointed.

Best signing SC ever made was Wade Elliott, so a similar experienced and combative midfielder, plus some genuine creativity (which is like gold dust, I realise) is essential, and that's not forgetting someone to take the weight and oppositon defenders' attentions off Kodjia.

Have people not noticed year, from first hand experience, that players who were good at L1 level last season are, in general, not good enough in large numbers to challenge at the right end of the championship..? 

Ali and Afobe aside, are there any...? 

JET hardly plays for QPR. 

Cunningham is doing well but isn't ever going to be spectacular. And Preston are just above struggling. 

MK Dons are struggling without the exceptional Ali and Afobe was only on loan. 

None of Swindon's "star" players have proven themselves as better than L1.

This is why signing the likes of Dack or Bradshaw or even Matt Smith, doesn't offer any hope of improvement in my eyes. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Based on him doing well in L1..? 

Havent we already got a team full of players who did that last season? 

Spot on. We have a league one dream team that at this level is currently failing to score and leaking goals at an alarming rate. Adding more top league one talent won't improve things. This time is has to be better than what we've got and in the case of the striker and midfielder a lot better!

19 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Bradley Dack. Scored again yesterday. Exactly who we need.

Yesterday's result moved his team (and it is his team; grew up there, stuck by him through his court case, built their team around him) 2nd; why on earth would he move to us in our current state?

Regardless as whether he'd be any good at this level, Gillingham would be crazy to sell their talisman to us, and right now you must ask why he'd move here?

Plus; he's got something like three plus years on his current deal - would be like expecting us to sell Bryan this time last year.

39 minutes ago, samo II said:

Who on earth knows who is available, affordable or willing to come?

But Fulham are making noises about needing rather than wanting to sell, so if there was ever a time to get Matt Smith (who despite the doubter I believe would prove an excellent option for us), it surely is now, as they have no intention of selling McCormack or Woodrow.

Equally; I'd suggest we could do far worse than assessing who at Bolton would bolster us, and while Clough might be pie-in-the-sky, I'd happily take Neil Danns back (sure I'll get slagged for suggesting two old players, but am basing this off more than just their times here).

Outside that it is realty a massive guessing game, but I do think the majority of the names suggested in the OP are a little too ambitous, and if you're expecting players of that pedigree, you will be disappointed.

Best signing SC ever made was Wade Elliott, so a similar experienced and combative midfielder, plus some genuine creativity (which is like gold dust, I realise) is essential, and that's not forgetting someone to take the weight and oppositon defenders' attentions off Kodjia.

You wrote pretty much what I was going to write. I have no idea or preference of actual players but I have said from the start we needed to replace Wade Elliott and bring in an understudy for Wilbraham. Korey has stepped up better than most but he isn't the leader or influence Elliott was.  He had had to concentrate on his own game and try to nurse Freeman and all through their games more times than not.

Fielding also needs competition, real competition for his place too. Kodjia needs help/support and Agard doesn't seem to be fit and available very often either. 

40 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Have people not noticed year, from first hand experience, that players who were good at L1 level last season are, in general, not good enough in large numbers to challenge at the right end of the championship..? 

Cunningham is doing well but isn't ever going to be spectacular. And Preston are just above struggling. 

This is why signing the likes of Dack or Bradshaw or even Matt Smith, doesn't offer any hope of improvement in my eyes. 

I think Matt Smith has already proved himself at this level in the short time he's passed in it for Leeds  and Fulham.  But agree with the others.

I think we need a Wade replacement, some like with the skills of Joey Barton, without the baggage it wages....and there's part of the problem.

Gonna be a hard window.

We need a spine.

A better keeper, a centre half, a central midfielder and a striker.

Do I think we'll get all four? Probably not.

Will we get all our January signings right? Not on recent evidence.

I still think we can stay up, mainly because all of the bottom five are crap, but unless we do well in this window our current squad suggests that we won't.

50 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Andre gray, Sam clucus and Harry McGuire off the top of my head 

not to mention Jamie Vardy so we'd be unwise to rule out people from the lower leagues! In fact I'll go as far to say most of best signings come from lower leagues instead Adomah, Maynard, akinbiyi and Carl Hutchings :laugh:! 

8 minutes ago, I am the mole said:

Andre gray, Sam clucus and Harry McGuire off the top of my head 

not to mention Jamie Vardy so we'd be unwise to rule out people from the lower leagues! In fact I'll go as far to say most of best signings come from lower leagues instead Adomah, Maynard, akinbiyi and Carl Hutchings :laugh:! 

Which of those players were in L1 last season? 

I know gems can be found at lower league (although you quote the few success stories, for each of which there are many more Akinde's)

my post said last seasons L1 players. We saw them all and we pretty much had the best of the lot and they aren't good enough to challenge at the top end of the championship. 

34 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

We didn't have any goal scoring midfielders last season. And to say because he is league 1 he won't make the grade is ridiculous, what's the problem trying at least??

I can point you to our squad, Preston's squad and MK Dons squad, plus the best of what Swindon had and bar the odd exception they are not good enough to trouble the top half of the Championship, so it's not really that ridiculous, is it..?! 

2 hours ago, daored said:

Im not sure Scott Parker has ever left London has he?

26 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

What about Conor Washington 23 year old striker who plays for Peterborough . 

Scoring goals for them .

A much better shout than Bradshaw, IMO. 

Peterborough usually get good money for their players though, so doubt it would be a cheap gamble. 

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Didn't realise he was that young, seems to have been around for ages after making his league debut at 15 for Palace and 16 for Spurs.

Lost his way a bit evidently, but did well last season with 13 goals and 19 assists albeit in the Belgian 2nd division which is probably our third division - not really sure. Now in the first division and wanting a move home.

Could be on the radar.

Was very highly rated at Palace and when he moved to Spurs. 

Maybe a case of getting too much too soon and could be a good target after a year or two getting himself focused again. Clearly a talented player. 

Archived