IGNORED

Thinking Ahead.......

Harry

I wondered what our squad could potentially look like next season, whether we are in League 1 (likely), or Championship (hopefully).

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I think it is from the research I can gather, but here is our current squad and their contract length :

GK : Fielding 2018
LB : None
RB : Little 2017, Ayling 2017
CB : Flint 2019, El Abd 2017, Williams 2016, Osborne 2016
LM : Freeman 2017, Bryan 2019
RM : Burns 2016, Wagstaff 2016
CM : Smith 2017, Pack 2017, Reid 2016
ST : Kodjia 2018, Agard 2017, Wilbraham 2016

So, we currently have 17 full time professionals. 6 have their contracts expire at the end of this season, potentially leaving us with 11 full time professionals this Summer.

I can't see Wilbraham, Wagstaff or Osborne being re-signed.  I also think Burns will look elsewhere.  Reid & Williams might stick around?  Williams less likely though.

We also have El Abd in contract, who will never play for this club again for as long as SC is in charge.

I'd imagine relegation would probably see us lose a couple of players too (I know we're shit, but all relegated teams get their best players picked off).  So potentially Kodj, Smith and maybe one or two others might get picked off?

Prior to any permanent signings this January (if any come), this leaves us in the Summer with anything between 8 and 13 players.  13 is being very optimistic!  Regardless of the division we find ourselves in, there is a HUGE rebuilding job on in the Summer of 2016.  Sorry to increase any woes!!

I'm worried.

@Harry I wondered what the contract situation was too...thanks for doing the graft.  Yes, you are right, big rebuilding to do, even with any permie signings we might make in this window.  Shows the importance of this window.

I think Williams is under-rated, and at 22 (23 later this month) has played a lot of games, and will get better.  He would be someone I would look to keep whatever happens.  Will be tough to negotiate a new / extended contract at this point, unless he's really keen to stay.

The next paragraph from me is certainly not what I hope, but should we get relegated and Cotts replaced, might the likes of Wagstaff, El-Abd, and even Wilbs, stay?

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The next paragraph from me is certainly not what I hope, but should we get relegated and Cotts replaced, might the likes of Wagstaff, El-Abd, and even Wilbs, stay?

Ha ha, blimey Dave, I'd hope not.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

I wondered what our squad could potentially look like next season, whether we are in League 1 (likely), or Championship (hopefully).

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I think it is from the research I can gather, but here is our current squad and their contract length :

So, we currently have 17 full time professionals. 6 have their contracts expire at the end of this season, potentially leaving us with 11 full time professionals this Summer.

I can't see Wilbraham, Wagstaff or Osborne being re-signed.  I also think Burns will look elsewhere.  Reid & Williams might stick around?  Williams less likely though.

We also have El Abd in contract, who will never play for this club again for as long as SC is in charge.

I'd imagine relegation would probably see us lose a couple of players too (I know we're shit, but all relegated teams get their best players picked off).  So potentially Kodj, Smith and maybe one or two others might get picked off?

Prior to any permanent signings this January (if any come), this leaves us in the Summer with anything between 8 and 13 players.  13 is being very optimistic!  Regardless of the division we find ourselves in, there is a HUGE rebuilding job on in the Summer of 2016.  Sorry to increase any woes!!

I'm worried.

I'm worried for this season as well, but should the worse happen there is the basis of a decent L1 team already under contract, and presumably we would be able to resist any offers for contracted players from other clubs.

sounds defeatist I know, but IF we have to suffer the pain of relegation then the process of building a successful side to challenge for promotion may not be so hard.

SC is going to have to pull a family of rabbits out of the hat to survive this season, next year if he is still here, may not require much tweaking.

17 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yeah and stop the punch up with Mark Little allegedly!

Are you referring to a punch up between Little and Garita, or the alleged one with Little and an ex team mate (who didn't hang around too long!?)

Hey Woodsy. 

I was referring to both the alleged past punch up and how to help avert a possible repeat bout as it would seem Mark Little would be moving up a weight division and we don't want our one new bloke buggering off back to la belle France/Cameroon!

Happy New Year!

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Hey Woodsy. 

I was referring to both the alleged past punch up and how to help avert a possible repeat bout as it would seem Mark Little would be moving up a weight division and we don't want our one new bloke buggering off back to la belle France/Cameroon!

Happy New Year!

Got ya! Was going to suggest Little would have to move divisions to get a shot at the new guy!

HNY to you to, Oxo

2 hours ago, phantom said:

@Harry Like last season, Wilbs has a clause in his contract that if he plays enough games this season he has the choice to sign a years extension, on the basis he is playing practically every week I'd say he would hit that trigger

Interesting news Phantom, I wasn't aware of that. 

Bugger!!!!! 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

@Harry Like last season, Wilbs has a clause in his contract that if he plays enough games this season he has the choice to sign a years extension, on the basis he is playing practically every week I'd say he would hit that trigger

Unbelievable, an absurd clause at his age.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Does Cotts have one regarding not playing subs?

Joe certainly did but I couldn't see anything saying Bobby & Wes had done? 

All three signed extensions and were announced together in 2014 for 2 years. I can only see that Joe has extended further since. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

All three signed extensions and were announced together in 2014 for 2 years. I can only see that Joe has extended further since. 

Right. It must have been the 2014 thing I was thinking of.

22 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm worried.

A slightly different angle too is that if the worst was to happen and we did go down and Cotts was to leave plus a number of players, it would be an attractive challenge to a new manager who doesn't have players to try to move on. Would be like starting with a clean slate.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Bobby and Wes have clauses for a further year, presumably in the clubs favour, which could be triggered.

Do we know anyone close to either of them who can confirm this?

And I guess we could offer them a new contract (subject to football league rules, which I guess is no worse than what they are on now) which should they choose not to accept, any club taking them on would have to pay compensation.  #straws

8 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

@djb6162 

As far as Wes is concerned, if he feels that he would like to clarify.

Look i guess i can share whats pretty much in the public domain with a bit of common sense added.

so both Bobby and Wes are contracted until June.

the club does have an option which it must exercise by the latest one month preceding the date of the end of the contract..

in this case May 16

As far as the terms of that option, yes the club can insist, but the terms and remuneration will already have been set in the original deal and apply, should the option be exercised.

the key thing to remember here though, is that no club wants its assets to be wound down into the final year with both parties looking over their shoulder.

unless of course the player/s dont figure in the plan, in which case why bother to extend.?

18 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

Look i guess i can share whats pretty much in the public domain with a bit of common sense added.

so both Bobby and Wes are contracted until June.

the club does have an option which it must exercise by the latest one month preceding the date of the end of the contract..

in this case May 16

As far as the terms of that option, yes the club can insist, but the terms and remuneration will already have been set in the original deal and apply, should the option be exercised.

the key thing to remember here though, is that no club wants its assets to be wound down into the final year with both parties looking over their shoulder.

unless of course the player/s dont figure in the plan, in which case why bother to extend.?

Thanks for confirming the option clause.

I guess that perversely if the club were relegated both players might benefit in terms of the possibility of more game time.

If the club remains in the Championship with the same manager then it appears that opportunities would remain limited.

I'll hazard a guess that at least one of the players will already think his future lies elsewhere.....and I wish him well.

Archived