IGNORED

D-Day Tuesday ?

cottsciderarmy

Morning all,

I've got a feeling Tuesday will be d-day for Cotts. It is unlikely we will have signed any first team players before Saturday, given we are now halfway through the week and there seems no concrete links for any players except a 3rd division French youth player. Regardless of result on Saturday, Tuesday we face Preston and notably Greg Cunningham and Calum Robinson. If both of these have a field day performance against us and we lose, I wonder if SL will lose his rag with Cotts. If Robinson comes here and plays out his skin and looks a vital player for a rival of ours having not got off the bench for us, it should send serious messages to SL about Cotts judgement.

I'm not saying we should prepare for League One, but I think the club are being too ambitious in their targets again, Dean Moxley has the choice of us or Wolves, if he wants to risk playing in League One he would be better off staying at Bolton, he won't even consider a move to us when Wolves want him as well, I would think Bolton would even be a more attractive proposition than us at present !

I would personally rather see us signing Dack, Bradshaw, and Alfie Potter, because they might make the step up to the Championship and are better than what we have at present and then at least if we do go down, we would have 3 players who would easily be the best 3 in League One to build a team around to go straight back up.

I fear we'll lose Tuesday and it would be ironic if the glory goal falls to Robinson. If it does I feel SL will have no alternative but to send Cotts packing.

3 hours ago, cottsciderarmy said:

Morning all,

I've got a feeling Tuesday will be d-day for Cotts. It is unlikely we will have signed any first team players before Saturday, given we are now halfway through the week and there seems no concrete links for any players except a 3rd division French youth player. Regardless of result on Saturday, Tuesday we face Preston and notably Greg Cunningham and Calum Robinson. If both of these have a field day performance against us and we lose, I wonder if SL will lose his rag with Cotts. If Robinson comes here and plays out his skin and looks a vital player for a rival of ours having not got off the bench for us, it should send serious messages to SL about Cotts judgement.

I'm not saying we should prepare for League One, but I think the club are being too ambitious in their targets again, Dean Moxley has the choice of us or Wolves, if he wants to risk playing in League One he would be better off staying at Bolton, he won't even consider a move to us when Wolves want him as well, I would think Bolton would even be a more attractive proposition than us at present !

I would personally rather see us signing Dack, Bradshaw, and Alfie Potter, because they might make the step up to the Championship and are better than what we have at present and then at least if we do go down, we would have 3 players who would easily be the best 3 in League One to build a team around to go straight back up.

I fear we'll lose Tuesday and it would be ironic if the glory goal falls to Robinson. If it does I feel SL will have no alternative but to send Cotts packing.

Just exactly who is bradshaw better than ?

City v Preston has a bore draw stamped all over it.  1 - 1.

I wouldn't expect Robinson to be anywhere near their first team for at least a couple of weeks.

And there's no point worrying about Cunningham, he's been of no concern to us since the end of July.

Like your example of Moxey not coming to us because we could be in L1 next season then say we should target Dack and Bradshaw. They're on two teams just as likely to go up as we are to go down. Why would they leave promotion candidates for relegation candidates? They'll be seeing out this season at their clubs. 

Cotts isn't going anywhere until we are officially relegated at the earliest in my opinion. He may not even leave then. This I think is the best plan anyway. If we were going to sack him we should of done it around the Fulham fiasco. Doing it now won't make a difference to how our season ends. 

7 hours ago, cottsciderarmy said:

Morning all,

Dack, Bradshaw & Potter MIGHT make the step up, but they are better than what we have at present, how so?

23 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Like your example of Moxey not coming to us because we could be in L1 next season then say we should target Dack and Bradshaw. They're on two teams just as likely to go up as we are to go down. Why would they leave promotion candidates for relegation candidates? They'll be seeing out this season at their clubs. 

Cotts isn't going anywhere until we are officially relegated at the earliest in my opinion. He may not even leave then. This I think is the best plan anyway. If we were going to sack him we should of done it around the Fulham fiasco. Doing it now won't make a difference to how our season ends. 

By that reckoning we might as well give up now. This scenario we are facing reminds me so much of the season we got in SoD and slid slowly into L1. Being proactive instead of reactive marks the difference between success and failure. Nothing is guaranteed but accepting failure at the beginning of January is foolish.

29 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Dack, Bradshaw & Potter MIGHT make the step up, but they are better than what we have at present, how so?

Dack has a goal in him - I think Ipswich away was the last time any of our midfielders had a shot at goal (bar a missed pen!!!!) 

39 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

At this moment in time , I think we are close to NEEDING numbers let alone quality. I'd be happy to sign and take a chance on 2 of those and hope for at least 2 more Championship quality players. The problem is we weren't an exciting prospect for players at the start of the season, with the current situation even less so.  Two wins, two quality signings or two exciting loans could change that, but letting January slide along hoping that someone will knock on the door and save us is pathetic. I really don't understand the mindset of the club, and the refusal to give us any idea in the press (even the Post !) or internet doesn't help the feeling of fans that we are doomed, and they have accepted that.

24 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Dack has a goal in him - I think Ipswich away was the last time any of our midfielders had a shot at goal (bar a missed pen!!!!) 

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see Dack in a City shirt - it was the fact he 'might' make the step up that I found odd

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

At this moment in time , I think we are close to NEEDING numbers let alone quality. I'd be happy to sign and take a chance on 2 of those and hope for at least 2 more Championship quality players. The problem is we weren't an exciting prospect for players at the start of the season, with the current situation even less so.  Two wins, two quality signings or two exciting loans could change that, but letting January slide along hoping that someone will knock on the door and save us is pathetic. I really don't understand the mindset of the club, and the refusal to give us any idea in the press (even the Post !) or internet doesn't help the feeling of fans that we are doomed, and they have accepted that.

Agree about numbers. See above re Dack, spoke to a Walsall fan about Bradshaw over Christmas, all we discussed were injuries!, as for Potter - not a chance he's a Championship footballer

On 6 January 2016 at 03:33, cottsciderarmy said:

Morning all,

Does that mean he should give SC a contract extension if Robinson doesn't play well or can't get in their team either..?

If you seriously believe that Bolton are better off than we are, then you may as well give up on football and probably life in general. 

What part of us having had easily the best team in L1 last season and seeing them struggling this season, convinces you that Bradshaw or Dack (I don't know anything about Potter) will improve us in any way?

25 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What part of us having had easily the best team in L1 last season and seeing them struggling this season, convinces you that Bradshaw or Dack (I don't know anything about Potter) will improve us in any way?

Just because we walked the league doesn't mean that there weren't other individuals elsewhere in league 1 that wouldn't be good enough to get in our side. 

Luke Freeman was arguably the best player in league 1 last season. Just because he hasn't made the step up like we thought he would, it doesn't mean that nobody else from league 1 could make the step up. 

Preston and mk dons both finished below us last season but are above us now. 

My point is, to write off league one players because they played for poorer teams than us last year is ridiculous. Our scouting team should be able to identify the players who have the attributes that would be needed in the championship and decifer whether they believe the player would add anything to our squad. Dack, Bradshaw, Morsy etc would all add competition for places which can only be healthy. The approach of only adding players that are better than what we have is unrealistic and expensive. Hence why we are down to the bare bones right now. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Does that mean he should give SC a contract extension if Robinson doesn't play well or can't get in their team either..?

No it doesn't but a strong performance rom the player, SHOULD make the board ask questions to Cotterill why he was left out in the cold when he could have been helping us do better.

If you seriously believe that Bolton are better off than we are, then you may as well give up on football and probably life in general. 

Thanks for mixing my words, I actually said I'm not convinced Bolton aren't a more attractive proposition. Recently in the Premier League, Big Ground, Good core fan base, Good manager, and some very good players. Yes financially they are in a mess, but a couple of players sold and a input of capital and they would still be a decent side in this league. They are only a few points behind and have actually been getting points lately and if they don't get a points deduction on recent performances I would fancy them to beat the drop more than I would do us. As a player given the choice of playing for Bolton or Bristol City, I suspect more would chose Bolton, and should they go down, their team is strong enough to come back up and whilst yes we did walk league one last season, I'm far from convinced our current crop of players would do that feat this or next season.

Dack is a quality player and is a good creative midfielder who can score goals, something since Elliott retired we haven't replaced. He would fit into that role well, I expect there are many Championship teams who Dack could get a game for.
Bradshaw is still young at 23 and has had a 1 in 2 scoring ratio is League One and that is better than any of our current strikers have. He was also part of the same Shrewsbury side as Freeman and both linked up very well then, so could do again. He has been sidelined through injury this season, but his stock is improving and he is a natural finisher of the ball who gets himself into good positions. I'm a firm believer of if you have a good brain and eye for a ball and good composure to finish you will score in any league. A striker who can consistently test a keeper and have a shot on target will score goals, that's what this lad does, no screamers just consistent on target finishing. At present we have strikers who can score good goals, but are not natural finishers and often squander a lot of chances and don't even test the keeper.

Potter would be a punt but he can play right wing, and could play right wing back. He is also young but has a good touch and good vision of the ball and he does a lot of off the ball work. I don't know if he would make the step up but in a poor Oxford side he looked better than the players around him and he was Wimbledon's best player last season and has looked very smart scoring once and assisting 13 for Northampton this season, He would be cheap and at 26 is open to improvement and he would make a good back up right wing/ right back if he did come up short, but if we went down he would be more than capable of being a first team position in either position.

One of the aspects of our current predicament that hasn't been mentioned much is that we simply don't have the option to rest players.  Tuesday is a really big game for us - it's home games, and especially ones against teams in the bottom half, that will likely decide our fate.  I would argue that, if we actually had a squad of players, rather than barely a team, we would likely rest some key individuals against West Brom in preparation for Tuesday.  West Brom is not a glamour tie, it's a game we're likely to lose whoever we put on the pitch, and the FA Cup is not a priority when you're fighting relegation.  Yet we will be forced to field almost exactly the same three days before one of our biggest games of the season.  Another reason why we should be acting at the start of the window, not towards the end.

On a similar note, it strikes me that we've been relatively fortunate with injuries during Cotterill's tenure.  We have a few out now, as do most teams, but it isn't exactly what you'd call an injury crisis.  What if three get injured at West Brom on Saturday?  What is the contingency plan if that happens?  The club are currently gambling on avoiding injuries, which are ironically far more likely to occur when you have a small squad pushed to it's limits.  I'm also fearful of fatigue setting in later in the season with so many players forced to play every game.

What a shameful state of affairs.  The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.

Archived