IGNORED

We are not alone

Maesknoll Red

Sadly in modern football we're the norm, there's only a few outliers on either side.

Much as we love City and many of us England I can't think of one person that doesn't see the whole game as a shambles.

Levering debt, selling shirts in India, Korea or wherever. Just showing off your cash reserves and having a club as a toy to alleviate the boredom of sitting on a beach all day.

Even in the 2nd tier the whole thing's almost as f'd as F1.

• Admin

Can't say I agree with all the sentiments in the letter, but for those of us who go back 40 or 50 years of supporting a club have seen huge changes in the game, not all of which, IMO, are for the better.  I guess it isn't going back anytime soon, so it's either embrace the change or lose interest, I do struggle with being a 'customer' or seen as a revenue stream!!

• Admin
1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

I'd just like to complain I've now got that ruddy Michael Jackson song "You are not alone" now stuck in my head as a result of the thread title :gaah:

I'd like to complain that I'll have to look that up, as I have never heard of it.......

4 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I'd just like to complain I've now got that ruddy Michael Jackson song "You are not alone" now stuck in my head as a result of the thread title :gaah:

Funny i immediately thought of that Eagles song...."You are not alone".... "Say goodbye to all your pain and sorrow"... Yeah right!! Much better than jacko.

4 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

who's Michael Jackson - was he in the Dave Clark Five ???:mf_sleep:

No, he was Mick in Dave, Dee, Dosie, Beaky, Mick and Tich. 

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Funny i immediately thought of that Eagles song...."You are not alone".... "Say goodbye to all your pain and sorrow"... Yeah right!! Much better than jacko.

No, he was Mick in Dave, Dee, Dosie, Beaky, Mick and Tich. 

funny you should say that, when I had my pub, Dave Dee was going to be my sunday afternoon act ( at a cost of £800 !!) and he was going to stay the night with us, sadly he had to pull out when diagnosed with cancer, which soon later took his life, saw the rest Dozy ( now sadly passed) in Brean 4 years ago, they were the group that I followed in the 60's and in later years

dave dee dozy.jpg

There's always change. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Some people like it, some don't. Some profit, some lose out. Somebody will always be doing well and that requires someone else to do badly. When football began there were no "supporters", merely "spectators" who just wanted to see a game. That changed and to some extent it's changing back again. An observer from 120 years ago would recognise the modern Sky football watcher better than one from 40 years ago.

Villa are in a bad place at the moment but they'll continue to exist so long as people want them to. Even if they fall all the way out of the league, they'll continue to exist and maybe they'll become closer to their community as a result. Those who want that will stay whilst those who only care about the Premiership will drift off to Chelsea or Man City or wherever. Things change but nothing goes away, it just moves.

Bristol City is trying to move with the times whilst simultaneously maintaining its local roots. That's difficult and some people don't like it but there isn't much alternative. If the club is to generate the revenue to compete with others then we have to get used to being seen as a revenue stream to be maximised and to be part of a global market. If we don't want that we have to accept having an uncompetitive and potentially unsustainable club.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Back in the 70s and 80s there was some terrific music coming from USA and Canada. The Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Heart. Steely Dan.

Great bands who wrote some fantastic songs that stand the test of time.

Can't agree, I'm afraid. Apart from Steely Dan, and occasionally Lynyrd Skynyrd, dull as ditch water.  Never liked all that middle of the road country rock stuff...

37 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Can't agree, I'm afraid. Apart from Steely Dan, and occasionally Lynyrd Skynyrd, dull as ditch water.  Never liked all that middle of the road country rock stuff...

As always, its personal taste. 

I liked all of them.

During those decades IMO there was very little decent stuff coming from this side of the pond.

Archived