IGNORED

Sit where you like?

Real Red

I take it that you sit wherever at West Brom tomorrow like most away games, would it be different as it is a sell out? Otherwise our group and probably many others will be scattered everywhere as tickets were bought separately.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Real Red said:

I take it that you sit wherever at West Brom tomorrow like most away games, would it be different as it is a sell out? Otherwise our group and probably many others will be scattered everywhere as tickets were bought separately.

Fully expect it to be to sit in exact seat purchased

The end is a sell out so there isn't room for people to fill empty areas, and West Brom will be used to having a full away end

Will also mean those people that DID buy seats together, will be sat together

10 minutes ago, Cider red said:

You will no doubt get a few, that's my seat sit down I cant see daytrippers

I would agree with you if it wasn't a sell out, but when it's a sell out it's unfair on those who arrive late and have allocated seats to have to search out the few empty seats remaining in the entire stand.

Great, bought a ticket as a ST holder, restricted to one per sale. Then when on general sale bought a ticket for daughter who will now be sat nowhere near me. Guy in ticket office had no idea where the second ticket bought would be!  Great benefit for ST holder

Just now, Real Red said:

Great, bought a ticket as a ST holder, restricted to one per sale. Then when on general sale bought a ticket for daughter who will now be sat nowhere near me. Guy in ticket office had no idea where the second ticket bought would be!  Great benefit for ST holder

Within that many people I'm sure you'll find 2 spaces if you look around on the day - inevitably a few people won't make the game for whatever reason 

you will always get 100 or so fans going straight to the back of the stand, happened at Reading. Had the older generation sat at the back before the game, but as it started were forced to stand due to everyone else standing. I feel for them but surely it would be better for them to go nearer the front and allow the standers at the back. Causes more trouble setting 'sit in your seat' rather that unreserved seating.

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Real Red said:

Hate to say, not really a fault of our club if WBA enforce where to sit.

I too wanted to get a group of people sat together so as some aren't ST holders, purchased them when they went on general sale

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hate to say, not really a fault of our club if WBA enforce where to sit.

I too wanted to get a group of people sat together so as some aren't ST holders, purchased them when they went on general sale

Yeh that's what I should of done in retrospect

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Within that many people I'm sure you'll find 2 spaces if you look around on the day - inevitably a few people won't make the game for whatever reason 

Courtesy of the West Midlands Constabulary? 

Always a tricky subject, especially for sell outs. I'm sure everyone of whichever preference can see reasoning behind each others arguments on it. Think someone mentioned that Stoke away policy they mention that if you want to sit down mainly then pick / ask for seats lower down but I think we just get given a batch in general and they are just dished out. You get a way better atmosphere when the singers can congregate together but if various groups all arrive different times its also a bit of a mess as everyone is pressing towards the back at different times. Wembley was meant to have a singing section. I made sure I got tickets in there but there were quite a few around me not really getting into it which was annoying so even if they did that for this you'd probably have people buying tickets not where they really want. Only real way of going about it is specifying on tickets its unreseved and then recommending fans who want to make sure they can see and parents with young kids go nearer the front. We've ousted their Smethwick Rd end season ticket holders who would normally be next to away fans. A few are saying Millennium Corner in their end should be lively now so hopefully I'm somewhere near there if that's where all the singing and banter is from both sets of fans. Enjoy the game everyone and whether you are sat or standing let's make some noise and do ourselves proud.

1 hour ago, Real Red said:

So are you suggesting that being a s/t holder should entitle you to two tickets each away game?

This topic has been discussed quite a lot with two big away followings in two weeks.

No doubt come Saturday evening there will be complaints of people wanting to use their allocated seat which may be at the back of the stand. Ideally all 5300 of us will be standing the whole match and singing but in reality we know that doesn't happen with city. The best I've seen it recently was MK Dons last year.

I really feel that it is up to club to try and help with this situation. I think it has been mentioned on another thread about what Stoke do for away matches which essentially splits up the allocation into top half of the stand or bottom stand (or essentially standing or sitting). Could this be tried out for the next big away following (Charlton or MK)?

I'm going with my 8 year old and if you're standing in front of him or my misses or my mother I'm gonna ask you to sit if it is reserved. I'd gladly sit in the front but if it's not up to me I can't do anything about it and you aren't gonna ruin it for my mother and child who are going to their first football match as they aren't from here.

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm going with my 8 year old and if you're standing in front of him or my misses or my mother I'm gonna ask you to sit if it is reserved. I'd gladly sit in the front but if it's not up to me I can't do anything about it and you aren't gonna ruin it for my mother and child who are going to their first football match as they aren't from here.

That's the problem; hence why the Stoke idea is a good one. Got to say though, good luck asking a group of cidered up lads standing and singing in front of you to sit down..

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the problem; hence why the Stoke idea is a good one. Got to say though, good luck asking a group of cidered up lads standing and singing in front of you to sit down..

Stoke idea is a very good one. I bought the tickets with the intent to get there early and sit up front and still will but if I can't then there'd be a problem if those in front can't sit. Everyone has paid the same so why should my family not enjoy it because someone else wants their money's worth? 

19 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

controversial opinion probably but here goes.. As a dad of two young kids I wouldn't be choosing WBA away for my 8 year olds first game? My eldest was 5 when she watched her first game tho season Mk dons at home.

Big crowd etc might be a bit overwhelming for a 8 year Old especially if it gets nasty up there. And having been there many times and been caught up in trouble and add in west midlands finest, probably not the best choice?.

Just now, Spoons said:

controversial opinion probably but here goes.. As a dad of two young kids I wouldn't be choosing WBA away for my 8 year olds first game? My eldest was 5 when she watched her first game tho season Mk dons at home.

Big crowd etc might be a bit overwhelming for a 8 year Old especially if it gets nasty up there. And having been there many times and been caught up in trouble and add in west midlands finest, probably not the best choice?.

I am American and live here in Bristol. He's visiting for 2 weeks from Texas and the choice was Reading away or WB away. We had plans for the 2nd already. So it was the only choice and it really shouldn't matter what the trip is. It's a sport and entertainment for all

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Stoke idea is a very good one. I bought the tickets with the intent to get there early and sit up front and still will but if I can't then there'd be a problem if those in front can't sit. Everyone has paid the same so why should my family not enjoy it because someone else wants their money's worth? 

Agree with you - everyone entitled to same enjoyment and experience. In my eyes way club can do this is by implementing stoke idea. Stops any fuss and everyone enjoys their day.

Hope your family have a good time and a good view up there. I'm not going tomorrow but went in our playoff season, it's a good view from that stand.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree with you - everyone entitled to same enjoyment and experience. In my eyes way club can do this is by implementing stoke idea. Stops any fuss and everyone enjoys their day.

Hope your family have a good time and a good view up there. I'm not going tomorrow but went in our playoff season, it's a good view from that stand.

Cheers. I'm sure it will be fine. Went to Birmingham away and was a big crowd but all was good from my point of view there. Different circumstance and crowds now but I'll make it work. 

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Personally I will head straight for the back. However if asked to move I will do so fuss free.

I'm totally in favour of all standing up, it undoubtedly improves the atmosphere. But your approach could cause problems, if you're asked to move and then there is someone in your designated seat what happens then? If they agree to move there will undoubtedly be someone else in their seat and so on. An unfortunate consequence of a sold out big following is people deciding where they want to sit first causing a ripple effect of irritation.

Never had these worries in the good old terrace days...

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm totally in favour of all standing up, it undoubtedly improves the atmosphere. But your approach could cause problems, if you're asked to move and then there is someone in your designated seat what happens then? If they agree to move there will undoubtedly be someone else in their seat and so on. An unfortunate consequence of a sold out big following is people deciding where they want to sit first causing a ripple effect of irritation.

Never had these worries in the good old terrace days...

Could just ask them if they want to swap tickets.

3 minutes ago, totterdown cidered said:

Great following from us, hopefully a decent atmosphere in our end.

Anyone remember the league game back in 99 (i think) when it all kicked off as they decided not to Police the game!!!

yep! Under the stand at half time was pretty tasty!

And I'm all for standing it's just that for this particular match my mother won't be able to stand for 90, my son could maybe see while stood on his seat and my misses would have trouble seeing as she's short. If I'm at the back I would gladly switch with 4 wanting to stand that are closer to the front.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How does that stop the ripple effect?!

Yeah, sorry, that's the approach I try to use at normal away games if someone wants to kick me out of their seat, but I realised after that my solution would be pretty hopeless in that situation :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Could just ask them if they want to swap tickets.

Done this a few times and they've been fine with it! Although Preston last season had a couple people demanding there seat to sit in. We moved down two seats so they could sit there, every one stood while they were sat down.
Didn't see them again in the second half :facepalm:

I like the Stoke idea and I see both sides of the argument here.  But as things stand, the fairest and least selfish solution for everyone is to sit/stand in your allocated seat.  If that means you're not with your mates, that's unfortunate, but it also means groups that have organised themselves to sit/stand together will get to do so.  It basically boils down to thinking about others instead of just yourself, which many people seem to struggle with.

That said, I do sympathise with the one-ticket-per-STH issue, which does need to be looked at for these situations.

3 hours ago, Cider red said:

You will no doubt get a few, that's my seat sit down I cant see daytrippers

That mentality winds me up so much.

It's an all seated stadium and I'd be rightly annoyed if I couldn't sit with the people I bought tickets with/travelled with because someone thinks he has a divine right to sit where they like.

Newsflash - you don't.

We had a similar problem at Reading, as always at away games we head towards the back and stand wherever there is space, unfortunately on this occasion there were a couple sat behind us with 3 young children (couldn't have been older than 8/9) who continually asked us to sit down throughout the game because they couldn't see.

Now I understand sometimes people who have never been to a game before would head straight for their designated seats, but despite being 'advised' by more than a few people that there were plenty of empty seats further down the stand where they could sit in comfort with a good view they point blank refused to move and can't have ended up seeing too much of the game.

I appreciate that certain circumstances (such as West Brom) dictate that you have to sit/stand in designated seats, but at the end of the day common sense should prevail.

It seems as though Stoke have got this one spot on in designating standing and seating areas, top idea and credit to them for that.

4 hours ago, Real Red said:

I held back till genral sale for this very reason. Hope you can sort something out. 

Guest baggie192
Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

How do you guys get on with that when united are in town and all of them stood? Likewise most other prem teams 

Which United? Same rules for all they know score. Celebration of Goals not a problem but nobody does it the whole game as it 2 warnings 3rd is ejection. Same for most prem grounds and the price of the tickets it daft to do

2 minutes ago, baggie192 said:

Which United? Same rules for all they know score. Celebration of Goals not a problem but nobody does it the whole game as it 2 warnings 3rd is ejection. Same for most prem grounds and the price of the tickets it daft to do

I don't want city to get to the prem if it's like that then :blink:

9 minutes ago, Claude said:

Will never understand how someone can be happy sitting down the whole game..

You can tell the fans that go to more away games, they're usually at the back singing their hearts out. Rather than the "that's my seat" fans 

Super fan has spoken!

6 hours ago, Real Red said:

I will be with my kids, so if someone is in my seat I will be asking them to move. 

Just now, BS3_RED said:

I will be with my kids, so if someone is in my seat I will be asking them to move. 

Nah mate, you can't expect to turn up on your day trip, sit in the seat you've paid for an enjoy the view without standing for an hour and a half.

Christ, who do you think you are?

15 minutes ago, Claude said:

You can tell the fans that go to more away games, they're usually at the back singing their hearts out. Rather than the "that's my seat" fans 

believe me I'm a fan who goes him and away. You get both sorts of supporters at away games. To say people who sing and don't sit in there seat are any better than people who want to sit in an allocated seat is strange.

personally I prefer to stand but be realistic on a away day like this .

2 hours ago, KingLear said:

We had a similar problem at Reading, as always at away games we head towards the back and stand wherever there is space, unfortunately on this occasion there were a couple sat behind us with 3 young children (couldn't have been older than 8/9) who continually asked us to sit down throughout the game because they couldn't see.

Now I understand sometimes people who have never been to a game before would head straight for their designated seats, but despite being 'advised' by more than a few people that there were plenty of empty seats further down the stand where they could sit in comfort with a good view they point blank refused to move and can't have ended up seeing too much of the game.

I appreciate that certain circumstances (such as West Brom) dictate that you have to sit/stand in designated seats, but at the end of the day common sense should prevail.

It seems as though Stoke have got this one spot on in designating standing and seating areas, top idea and credit to them for that.

So their day was effectively ruined because they had the cheek to sit in the seats they purchased?

As much as I dislike many facets of 'modern football' - if someone buys a seat they have every right to sit in it and not be told to move somewhere else.

It wouldn't be tolerated at a gig or the theatre or many other sporting venues. If a section is 'unreserved seating' then fine, it's a free for all. But why can't people just sit in the seats they've bought if it's not unreserved?

As I said, a lot of stuff about modern football really annoys me. Sitting down is one of them. But it's here to stay so why ruin the day out for other people by deciding to sit where you want?

For what it's worth, I think all away sections should be unreserved seating, then nobody can have any complaints. Sit where you want, what's wrong with that? It would also make ticket printing cheaper!

2 hours ago, KingLear said:

I like to stand at away games but if I see there are kids aged 8/9 behind me I would never stand up in front of them.. That's just ignorant. Especially as there were in there correct seats and you were probably not??

people have to realise football fans are all different and support the team in different ways and peoples support shouldn't be judged on how loud you sing and how long you stood up for!

20 minutes ago, Spoons said:

believe me I'm a fan who goes him and away. You get both sorts of supporters at away games. To say people who sing and don't sit in there seat are any better than people who want to sit in an allocated seat is strange.

personally I prefer to stand but be realistic on a away day like this .

I don't just find this strange, it's irritating.

I personally prefer to stand and sing at away matches too, but the "i'm a better fan because I stand", "I'm a better fan because I want the Robin badge", "I'm the better fan because I go to the back" stuff is silly.  

loads of different people go to football for loads of different reasons.

I want to stand, but if I'm in front of children I'll sit so they can see, it's not because I'm not a football fan, it's because I'm not a c***.

43 minutes ago, baggie192 said:

Manchester United - they never sit. I watched them on Sky vs you early last year (Berahino scored a great goal) and they certainly weren't. Same for Spurs, Everton, Villa, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham.. Are you really saying their support sits?? I don't think so.

Got absolutely nothing against people sitting down, it's their money, they choose how they want to the enjoy the match. 

I just wish we as a club and fanbase stood up more. I just find it odd sitting down at football! 

But that's just me.

23 minutes ago, JM91 said:

I don't just find this strange, it's irritating.

I personally prefer to stand and sing at away matches too, but the "i'm a better fan because I stand", "I'm a better fan because I want the Robin badge", "I'm the better fan because I go to the back" stuff is silly.  

loads of different people go to football for loads of different reasons.

I want to stand, but if I'm in front of children I'll sit so they can see, it's not because I'm not a football fan, it's because I'm not a c***.

Completely agree with the standing infront of children if they can't see. 

But in all honesty I do think those who sing their hearts out are better supporters because of the simple fact that they are doing just that... supporting. I sit in the Dolman and have no problem saying that fans in the Atyeo are better than me at home games, as they give the team constant vocal support. Whereas for 90% of games, fans in the Dolman (including myself) are just.. there. 

People always rave about Dortmunds fans being amongst the best fans in the world. That's because of the atmosphere they generate at matches. Would they be viewed this way if they were all sat down in silence? I don't think so.

Guest baggie192
46 minutes ago, Claude said:
10 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

Looks like evertones standing to me

2013-04-20away-end.jpg

With respect looking at both our fans and Foster that's a goal celebration at the BRE

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Manchester United - they never sit. I watched them on Sky vs you early last year (Berahino scored a great goal) and they certainly weren't. Same for Spurs, Everton, Villa, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham.. Are you really saying their support sits?? I don't think so.

Was at that game and the majority sat, my seats are close to the Smethwick in the East stand so i'm close to the away fans. The only time anybody has for all the game was SAF's last game the 5-5 with united. When you're paying £45-£70 a ticket it's a silly reason to get ejected

58 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So their day was effectively ruined because they had the cheek to sit in the seats they purchased?

As much as I dislike many facets of 'modern football' - if someone buys a seat they have every right to sit in it and not be told to move somewhere else.

It wouldn't be tolerated at a gig or the theatre or many other sporting venues. If a section is 'unreserved seating' then fine, it's a free for all. But why can't people just sit in the seats they've bought if it's not unreserved?

As I said, a lot of stuff about modern football really annoys me. Sitting down is one of them. But it's here to stay so why ruin the day out for other people by deciding to sit where you want?

For what it's worth, I think all away sections should be unreserved seating, then nobody can have any complaints. Sit where you want, what's wrong with that? It would also make ticket printing cheaper!

50 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I like to stand at away games but if I see there are kids aged 8/9 behind me I would never stand up in front of them.. That's just ignorant. Especially as there were in there correct seats and you were probably not??

people have to realise football fans are all different and support the team in different ways and peoples support shouldn't be judged on how loud you sing and how long you stood up for!

Let me just clear things up before people start thinking I'm some sort of monster for standing in front of kids at a football match, myself and the 2 people I was with did actually sit down with the intention and hope that they could see (however fruitless that was).

The point I was making was that, yes even though they had every right to sit in their seat, maybe it would have been prudent for the parents to make a sensible decision for their kids as their multiple requests for people to sit down were clearly falling on deaf ears.

5 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Hopefully everyone stands like every Premier League club manages to do at West Brom. Unfortunately chances of that are nearly 0 with us.

Some clubs just have a really good mentality when they are an away following, all stand and all try and make noise.. Its unfortunate this culture has never really been here at City.. A 5k away following by rights should be all stood making a ****ing hell of a noise..

It really really makes me wonder how clubs like Leeds united and the like get around this issue, there must have problems galore with there followings as they stand no matter what.. We arnt the only club that has kids and ederley in our away followings are we..

1 hour ago, Claude said:

I saw nearly every game last season so go to plenty of away games and sat every week. I did all my standing when there were terraces.

Not everyone wants to stand and it doesn't make me a worse fan

20 minutes ago, bris red said:

Some clubs just have a really good mentality when they are an away following, all stand and all try and make noise.. Its unfortunate this culture has never really been here at City.. A 5k away following by rights should be all stood making a ****ing hell of a noise..

It really really makes me wonder how clubs like Leeds united and the like get around this issue, there must have problems galore with there followings as they stand no matter what.. We arnt the only club that has kids and ederley in our away followings are we..

We're strange like that - I'd say our support can be fantastic at times but it takes the right ingredients. Charlton away, 08 stands out. The demographic was a bit different, less kids and elderly naturally which helps. All stood, pyro etc - a great away day. Listen to the racket!

this one taken from the other side of the ground

37 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Let me just clear things up before people start thinking I'm some sort of monster for standing in front of kids at a football match, myself and the 2 people I was with did actually sit down with the intention and hope that they could see (however fruitless that was).

The point I was making was that, yes even though they had every right to sit in their seat, maybe it would have been prudent for the parents to make a sensible decision for their kids as their multiple requests for people to sit down were clearly falling on deaf ears.

Or any decent Adult would understand Tha there at kids sat there so they should make sure they can see.

if there were plenty of spare seats maybe everyone who was standing could have moved.

Think your point is a bit silly really. And I'm someone who likes to stand bit not at the expense of people who want to sit, you do not have a Devine right to stand up in front of people who wish to sit and then tell them to move to the front. That's very arrogant!

41 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Or any decent Adult would understand Tha there at kids sat there so they should make sure they can see.

As I did if you care to read my post again.

if there were plenty of spare seats maybe everyone who was standing could have moved.

I think if you're calling my point silly this one trumps that hands down.

Think your point is a bit silly really. And I'm someone who likes to stand bit not at the expense of people who want to sit, you do not have a Devine right to stand up in front of people who wish to sit and then tell them to move to the front. That's very arrogant!

Once again you seem to have commented without having a good read.

Have I ever said I stood up in front of them? No. 

Have I said we who wish to stand have a divine right to stand in front of people? No.

I myself have a young lad who one day I will take to the football, but when that day comes I will make sure I use my common sense and foresight and not sit where I know full well people will be standing, if for no other reason than the language that you tend to here more of up there, hence why family sections were introduced.

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:
43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We're strange like that - I'd say our support can be fantastic at times but it takes the right ingredients. Charlton away, 08 stands out. The demographic was a bit different, less kids and elderly naturally which helps. All stood, pyro etc - a great away day. Listen to the racket!

We're strange like that - I'd say our support can be fantastic at times but it takes the right ingredients. Charlton away, 08 stands out. The demographic was a bit different, less kids and elderly naturally which helps. All stood, pyro etc - a great away day. Listen to the racket!

One of the best away games I've been to, loved how everyone stood, sang and bounced around together. If I remember rightly many Charlton fans commented afterwards at how intimidating we were, better than the majority of the premier sides they recently played.

I know the game has changed a lot (definitely for the worse), but this wasn't long ago when the rules on standing was the same, so don't see any reason why this sort of atmosphere couldn't be repeated again (having a winning team helped at the time to be fair).

Like many have said, other clubs can get away with standing throughout, so why not us? I appreciate some may not be able to stand for 2 x 45 minutes or may have children with them, so my question is what did these types of demographic groups do when there was just terracing?

Unfortunately I'm not there tomorrow, so good luck to everyone, I hope you guys and gals have a great day out, with no trouble and create lots of positive atmosphere to help the lads win!

Archived