IGNORED

George Moncur

Kingswoodactor

Does make me laugh when people 'write-off' lower league signings. 

Here are some examples of players who've moved to Prem or Champ clubs in the last 5 years who previously played for Newport, Hereford, Swindon, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth, Torquay. Basically, these were all "on our doorstep" and should be the immediate and easiest scouting priority for our club. At some point, all of these would have been available at a "punt" of a price or at least nothing too excessive.  Yes, some went for slightly bigger fees in the end but if done properly we could have been in there earlier and cheaper  

Jack Stephens, Reda Johnson, Craig Noone, Ashley Barnes, Matt Grimes, Eunan O'Kane, Yannick Bolasie, Joe Mason, Christian Walton, Mark Pugh, Toumani Diagouraga, Matt Ritchie, Danny Ings, Charlie Austin, Regan Poole, Lee Evans. You can probably add Connor Washington, Conor Hourihane, Curtis Nelson & Tom Nichols to the list very soon. 

If we'd focussed on these 7 localish clubs we could've had those players mentioned above for an outlay of less than 1 Zac Clough. 

I'm amazed some people write off lower league players so quickly. These are just from 7 local clubs. Imagine what's at the others across the land! 

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Does make me laugh when people 'write-off' lower league signings. 

Here are some examples of players who've moved to Prem or Champ clubs in the last 5 years who previously played for Newport, Hereford, Swindon, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth, Torquay. Basically, these were all "on our doorstep" and should be the immediate and easiest scouting priority for our club. At some point, all of these would have been available at a "punt" of a price or at least nothing too excessive.  Yes, some went for slightly bigger fees in the end but if done properly we could have been in there earlier and cheaper  

Jack Stephens, Reda Johnson, Craig Noone, Ashley Barnes, Matt Grimes, Eunan O'Kane, Yannick Bolasie, Joe Mason, Christian Walton, Mark Pugh, Toumani Diagouraga, Matt Ritchie, Danny Ings, Charlie Austin, Regan Poole, Lee Evans. You can probably add Connor Washington, Conor Hourihane, Curtis Nelson & Tom Nichols to the list very soon. 

If we'd focussed on these 7 localish clubs we could've had those players mentioned above for an outlay of less than 1 Zac Clough. 

I'm amazed some people write off lower league players so quickly. These are just from 7 local clubs. Imagine what's at the others across the land! 

how far you spreading that net,if Bournemouth "is  on our doorstep you must have long legs,out of interest you couldn't give us names that have moved up divisions and been crap,expect the list is to long

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

how far you spreading that net,if Bournemouth "is  on our doorstep you must have long legs,out of interest you couldn't give us names that have moved up divisions and been crap,expect the list is to long

Take Ings out and Harry's point still stands- Ritchie and Austin both played for Swindle. The only time we'll have an advantage in signing players is when the geography favours us- a young lad may be more keen to move an hour or two down the road to Bristol than across the country, but we don't seem to keep our eye in when it comes to such players. You are right of course, there are many more lower league players who move up and fail, but spending £3 million on 6 or 7 talented league 1/2 players seems to me a lot less risky than risking £3 million on one championship player- especially with our squad as threadbare as it is

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Without doubt he would join their  relegation battle for ours,who's this mantom?

He's a central mid for Walsall. 22/23 years old. Seen him with some nice passes and has a few goals in him. Someone else may know more about him but I always seem to see him being positive in their highlights. I could be totally off though but to me looks a decent player. 

To be fair, I touted Moncur back in the summer on the back of an impressive season last year. 

I think people forget that he's playing in what is an increasingly more competitive league. The gap between teams is large but between players is becoming ever smaller. Dele Alli being a prime example. Jumped two divisions and has probably been Spurs standout player bar Kane this season. 

I like everything about Moncur, he loves a tackle, scores and assists goals in what people must realise is a terrible terrible Colchester team who have really struggled and he's been their only bright spark. 

You can't gain experience without being given the opportunity. Who's to say he wouldn't be better than sidwell based on experience? Wilbs has experience and is an absolute donkey 

Archived