IGNORED

Cotterill's bought himself some time

Lympsham Red

After a performance like that Cotterill's earned himself a bit more time to prove that he's the right man for the job.

The team's performance shows that it is possible for us to play exceptionally well away from home and to more skilled opposition. What Cotts needs to do is use this result to motivate the squad for Tuesday's match. If we can't get all three points from the Preston game, then I think we can all agree that we're back to square one, and maybe Cotts isn't the right person. If the manager can't use a result like that to get three points at home to mediocre Championship opposition, then he's no manager for Bristol City. This result doesn't change everything by itself; this result, combined with a good run of league games, will.

I don't want to be unkind or burst any hope or optimism doing the rounds today, but we need to get real:

Does yesterday's fine effort prove any more than our previous cup game at Luton?

We can't defend, and we'll go down unless we find a way to shut teams out

Well I don't think there was much chance of him going anywhere this season. This based on how our season has gone. There were plenty of opportunity to sack him but we haven't. I applaud the patience even though I think it may be time to a fresh face. He's here now for the season I think and that is fine. Reevaluate at the end of the season. 

He'll not be going anywhere.

As Joe says; if he was getting the boot, it would have happened by now, and the fact that it sounds like (despite our public statements) we are investing in players swiftly to aid the fight suggests he has the boards' backing.

Despite my critiques of our approach to recruitment, signs are we are being bold, and the players who we do have play for SC, and are his team - right now we gain nothing getting rid.

If Clough joins, that is an excellent start to what I hope is a month of us improving our squad, and giving us every chance to stay up; the only barometer of success for me.

1 hour ago, Lympsham Red said:

After a performance like that Cotterill's earned himself a bit more time to prove that he's the right man for the job.

The team's performance shows that it is possible for us to play exceptionally well away from home and to more skilled opposition. What Cotts needs to do is use this result to motivate the squad for Tuesday's match. If we can't get all three points from the Preston game, then I think we can all agree that we're back to square one, and maybe Cotts isn't the right person. If the manager can't use a result like that to get three points at home to mediocre Championship opposition, then he's no manager for Bristol City. This result doesn't change everything by itself; this result, combined with a good run of league games, will.

And they say some football fans are fickle...! 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

January was always a case of back him or sack him. With the recent bid for Clough it's pretty clear SL is backing him. 

Will still need a couple of other quality additions even if this deal comes off though so fingers crossed.

This is very unlikely to happen with Cotterill, but Derek McInnes signed Liam Kelly on Friday 11 January 2013 and after City's 4-0 home defeat to Leicester the following day was promptly fired.

I think after some consideration, he probably is the right man for the job. SL is obviously digging into his pockets, which is nice, and Cotts seems to be trying to sign as many quality players as possible. At the end of the day, there's only so much he can say to get them convinced and only so much SL can pay to lure them in. I think that the reason why he's not changing much right now is that he's still confident how we're playing will see us through, and he might be right. Also, I expect that if we do take a turn for even worse, he will shake things up a bit. He's not an idiot. Then, once we've stayed up, we can push on nicely. I think no matter what happens on Tuesday now, he should be here till the end of the season.

I am listening to his 34 minute press conference right now as I write this and the thought of anybody thinking the guy is lacking passion for the job or does not know what he is doing or is not the right man for the job after what he has done, so far, for this club need their collective heads testing. And I say that in the nicest possible way to all you moaners.

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I am listening to his 34 minute press conference right now as I write this and the thought of anybody thinking the guy is lacking passion for the job or does not know what he is doing or is not the right man for the job after what he has done, so far, for this club need their collective heads testing. And I say that in the nicest possible way to all you moaners.

No-one is questioning his passion...

Its the other aspects that are in question and rightfully so. We are very much struggling in the league, we cant score or defend (especially recently). Yesterday was awesome but if it doesn't transfer to league performances then its pointless and it will be questioned. Hopefully the performance yesterday will give the team a much needed confidence boost

The FA Cup makes zero difference, the League is what counts. SC will be judged on a number of factors, last season, summer shambles, form and results to date, and is he the right man going forward. one good performance does not make him the right man in the same way that one bad one does not make him the wrong one. 

7 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

What if we get 1pt v Preston and 3 v Boro will that be alright :shifty: or 1pt from each? :juggle:

Do you not think the players and fans will be motivated enough on Tues and Sat with Oskar and Preston Tues and the league leaders on Sat.

I think we can get 6pts from these 2 games and even if we don't, the thought of relegation will not enter mine or the teams heads until we are.

We will continue the battle together until its over.

Hopefully, Cotterill's bought himself a new player by this time tomorrow, a few more by the end of the month, a new watch like Tiny Pulis said he needs, and maybe a fresh pair of those Lucky Pants he was hanging in last season.

U Reds!

Someone once said, "Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows." In Cotterill's case, enabling his players to deal with the pressure of their precarious League position, by inspiring them to display the same confidence and finishing they showed against Premier League opposition in The Championship - and quickly. 

1 hour ago, robin4ever said:

Why are oxford not thirty points clear on league 2 ??? Or Shrewsbury unbeaten so far this season ???? 

Haven't got a clue what you mean?!

I simply said that a lower team can lift themselves against superior opposition in a one off cup game with a higher than normal following.

Then I said it's a pity they can't do that in the bread and butter games.

And you respond with 'why aren't Oxford thirty points clear on (sic) league 2???'

Again, haven't got a clue what you mean...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Relatively easy for players to lift a performance in a one off, high profile game against prem opposition with over 5,000 fans backing them.

Don't wanna detract from a great day but the OP brought this up. Why couldn't the guys lift themselves away at Rotherham or Burnley etc etc etc etc?!

Cos there wasn't 5000 of us there?

17 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

January was always a case of back him or sack him. With the recent bid for Clough it's pretty clear SL is backing him. 

Will still need a couple of other quality additions even if this deal comes off though so fingers crossed.

Back him, sack him or crack him?

Archived