IGNORED

Cotts on Radio Bristol

Nomad

6 hours ago, Taz said:

Seems to be a bit of a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation with regards to sacking him now. If it was going to be done, it should have happened before Christmas, to at least have some chance of getting someone in and giving them a decent amount of the transfer window to buy in.

If he's sacked now, we're in the bottom three, manager less, and the transfer window closes in less than 3 weeks. Who in their right mind would sign for a manager less club in a relegation battle - we can't seem to sign who we want as it is!!! The only way he should be sacked right now, is if there is a good, and I mean really good replacement already lined up.

I'm not in the for or against camp, but only because I think that whatever we do - stick or twist - we've left it too late and are screwed. Shot ourselves in the foot once again.

An excellent reason why City should have stuck to their guns and employed a first team Coach and not an old fashioned inflexible Manager .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Hallmark of a manager under pressure ...

we make our own pressure and they sure have at AG, from the board right down to the manager ( could say the team but will leave that for a moment) we all know that this started in the summer and we are now reaping the rewards, we never seem to learn at Ashton Gate and a lot of us have been going down there long enough now to know this and to cap it all the b*****y tannoy wasnt working in the Dolman last night and all we heard was the reverberation of it coming from the Atyeo, last season it seemed as though our prayers were answered but in true BCFC style we are cocking that up !!!!!

I must be the only one who didn't think we deserved to lose that game then! Both teams were terrible in the first half but we had far more chances in the second than them. Not saying it was a good performance but not a game we deserved to lose.

What was absolutely clear from the interview last night (I turned my car radio up several notches so I could hear what he was saying - haven't had to do that since SOD!) - is that he takes no responsibility for the fiasco in the summer.  The anger and frustration in his voice was there for all to hear, as he described how Preston were able to rest six players at the weekend but we were not.  So, presumably he is saying that he believes he was let down by the Club and the Board when it came to signing the players he needed in the summer, who he believes could have been available to us.  Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, the big question for me is if this was the case, why is he still at the club?  How many managers fall out with their Boards in such a fundamental way, in any walk of life, and remain in post?  How many Boards would be prepared to tolerate a manager who is clearly saying that the transfer fiasco is not of his making and our present position therefore not his responsibility?  If there is a rift between manager and Board (presumably including the Owner), how can things continue from day to day? I am completely mystified, but it strikes me that until everyone starts singing from the same hymn sheet, we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of survival.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What was absolutely clear from the interview last night (I turned my car radio up several notches so I could hear what he was saying - haven't had to do that since SOD!) - is that he takes no responsibility for the fiasco in the summer.  The anger and frustration in his voice was there for all to hear, as he described how Preston were able to rest six players at the weekend but we were not.  So, presumably he is saying that he believes he was let down by the Club and the Board when it came to signing the players he needed in the summer, who he believes could have been available to us.  Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, the big question for me is if this was the case, why is he still at the club?  How many managers fall out with their Boards in such a fundamental way, in any walk of life, and remain in post?  How many Boards would be prepared to tolerate a manager who is clearly saying that the transfer fiasco is not of his making and our present position therefore not his responsibility?  If there is a rift between manager and Board (presumably including the Owner), how can things continue from day to day? I am completely mystified, but it strikes me that until everyone starts singing from the same hymn sheet, we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of survival.

I'm equally mystified. You've summed up my feelings exactly. A shambles.

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

I believe he should go but your post doesn't need to be so disrespectful to a man who achieved a superb double last season. Take a look at yourself.  

The memories of last season have been eroded by the dross I keep seeing this season.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Do you think that is because he honestly is not at fault or is too arrogant to recognise his failings? I don't know anymore…:yawn::blink:

When Cotts was appointed, he made it very clear from his first interview that he had agreed to be the MANAGER and not just the first team coach, as SOD had been appointed - the implication being that he was to have overall control of the club's playing affairs. This seemed to fly in the face of the relatively newly introduced "pillars" approach.

I don't see how Cotts can distance himself from the summer's fiasco but he certainly seems to want to lay the blame for that with others and that, to me, is unacceptable. This is a time when there should be absolutely no division between the management of our club - from top to bottom. Complete unanimity is required; there is no place for petty politics.

I get the feeling that, for whatever reason, Cotts was denied the opportunity to make his marquee signings (Gayle, Gray) and seems to have allowed this to affect his mood and his modus operandi which is unacceptable. Play with the cards you're dealt or leave the game.

We all know that Cotts is a bit of an oddball and very stubborn which can be amusing and acceptable when things are going his way but irritating, devisive and a real problem when they're not. He needs to be managed back into line. Decisions now need to be made, both by him and by the board, whether they can continue to work together as one. If they can, great. If they can't then that's ok too.

When I was a young manager, I was given a piece of advice by which I've always managed: "Change your team or change your team". Cotts, SL and Dawe would be well advised to follow this approach.

Just now, Rudolf Hucker said:

When Cotts was appointed, he made it very clear from his first interview that he had agreed to be the MANAGER and not just the first team coach, as SOD had been appointed - the implication being that he was to have overall control of the club's playing affairs. This seemed to fly in the face of the relatively newly introduced "pillars" approach.

I don't see how Cotts can distance himself from the summer's fiasco but he certainly seems to want to lay the blame for that with others and that, to me, is unacceptable. This is a time when there should be absolutely no division between the management of our club - from top to bottom. Complete unanimity is required; there is no place for petty politics.

I get the feeling that, for whatever reason, Cotts was denied the opportunity to make his marquee signings (Gayle, Gray) and seems to have allowed this to affect his mood and his modus operandi which is unacceptable. Play with the cards you're dealt or leave the game.

We all know that Cotts is a bit of an oddball and very stubborn which can be amusing and acceptable when things are going his way but irritating, devisive and a real problem when they're not. He needs to be managed back into line. Decisions now need to be made, both by him and by the board, whether they can continue to work together as one. If they can, great. If they can't then that's ok too.

When I was a young manager, I was given a piece of advice by which I've always managed: "Change your team or change your team". Cotts, SL and Dawe would be well advised to follow this approach.

I have just seen his comments on the website. His players are tired, seriously seriously what does he expect? Playing the same 11 every week, no squad rotation, no subs used. Most teams used the cup weekend to play weaken teams, but we don't and then play an important league game on Tuesday. He gave us the best season laseason year and that should never be forgotten but for me his tine will us will end badly, personally I will be sorry to see that happen

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Some excellent points & post - sums up my thoughts 

Don't get the 'Change your team or change your team' bit tho ! ? Am I being slow on that ?

3 minutes ago, ajam1212 said:

Man sounded beat.Cotts is no quitter that we know.Just sounded like hes waiting for the push to come. Certainly doesn't sound like hes got any fight left to get us out this mess.

I agree he won't walk, is waiting for the call from the board which personally I don't think he will get 

12 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

SL did say that he doesn't listen…

Is Dawe SC's mate? I can't remember

Obviously big problems behind the scenes somewhere. Cotts seems be playing his blame game cards now.How long can the board remain silent? ,they need to get their heads out the sand admit were in the deep stuff. Stop trying to deny there's a problem & let the supporters know what's going on.Either officially or leaked. We've had Cotts version so give us their side. Then we can draw our own conclusions. As it is the club are taking the fans for mugs & causing rifts between its life blood the supporters.

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Some excellent points & post - sums up my thoughts 

Don't get the 'Change your team or change your team' bit tho ! ? Am I being slow on that ?

it simply means: continually improve the team that you have and if that doesn't yield the results and performance that you want and need, then replace them with other people that will.

2 hours ago, Super said:

I must be the only one who didn't think we deserved to lose that game then! Both teams were terrible in the first half but we had far more chances in the second than them. Not saying it was a good performance but not a game we deserved to lose.

I didn't think we deserved to lose either, but again we did.

Fact is Preston are spoilers but play a brand of football that is earning far more points than we are.

Confidence is low, the squad is threadbare and we are being told no new faces are imminent.

As the Stranglers said " Something better change".

10 hours ago, RedDave said:

I believe he should go but your post doesn't need to be so disrespectful to a man who achieved a superb double last season. Take a look at yourself.  

Prob singing his name last season.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Maybe there was a rift with the board at the start of the season and maybe that rift was healed by someone leaving ? I have no inside knowledge, just that the C.Exec suddenly left after the Gayle and Gray transfer fiascos. Maybe SC is still going on about something that was a problem which has now been sorted ? 

We may never know but it keeps on coming up.

At least Pelling was a football man . 

11 hours ago, cynic said:

Depends on who you believe I suppose as the manager and the owner have different views on that subject.

Unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me.

This seems a recurring theme manager and major investor at opposite ends of the problem which looks like dragging on until all hope is lost The Bristol Sport flag is getting a few battle scars from a selfish point of view i couldn't give a monkeys about anything other than Bristol City FC and it seems to be falling apart from the inside ,all well and good the manager saying he is suppose to sign a team by February but even the most blinkered fan saw this before a ball was kicked this summer surely manager and owner thrashed out a recruitment policy next to no experience in the team of the Championship . Wade Elliott moved to youth development taking out a huge rock from the previous season Burnley went for Joey Barton not every one's cup of tea but a driving force once again the wage issue would come in here even trying to sign Nathan Baker from Villa sounds like a dead duck .

All this speculation about Peter Crouch,Beauvue and of course Zach Clough along with the failed bids dents the clubs image Cotts sounds more empty after every game but what can you say after the same formation same players same sloppy goals and the resulting defeat,apart from a wild over-priced bid for a Conor Washington,Bradley Dack ,George Moncur , Adam Armstrong then it looks pretty bleak

Some sort of feedback from the boardroom wouldn't go amiss but nothing apart from transfer fee's and wages  are available Cotts say's we can't compete with the big guns parachute payments and teams like PNE able to shuffle their squad even if they went down 2-0 in the cup. 

13 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

When he was asked about signing he said there were only a very few players to choose that suited our style of play, obviously that is going to reduce our chance of signing players even more. Perhaps it is time to change/adapt our style of play until the summer at least.

He said something about May, I didn't quite hear what he said…"It only matters come May" ?

The style of our play is the bloody problem, that formation doesn't work at this level, especially when we've got no left back or right back (wing backs/whatever), a midfielder who's not good enough consistently to Partner Korey, and a strike force made up of one very raw but talented striker and a player at 38 who by SC account of things is there for his ability at defending set pieces. The inept use of substitutions, and a transfer budget by the numbers being banded about that is far from frugal, the excuses are of his own doing, if he was the winner he said he was, he'd walk and let us remember him as the manager that did the double in style and not the petulant manager who's ineptitude relegated us whilst falling out with the fans and by some accounts agents and the people who pay his wages.

I wish him all the best, but his time has been and it's time to stand up and admit the job for whatever reason (not his fault of course) is too much for him, I think he's a cracking manager at league one level but there sits his limitations.

PS I know he won't walk, or be sacked but we will get relegated, just wishful thinking that we'd pulled the plug in November and got Pearson in, oh well, we will never learn.

Archived