IGNORED

Cotts on Radio Bristol

Nomad

Seems to be a bit of a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation with regards to sacking him now. If it was going to be done, it should have happened before Christmas, to at least have some chance of getting someone in and giving them a decent amount of the transfer window to buy in.

If he's sacked now, we're in the bottom three, manager less, and the transfer window closes in less than 3 weeks. Who in their right mind would sign for a manager less club in a relegation battle - we can't seem to sign who we want as it is!!! The only way he should be sacked right now, is if there is a good, and I mean really good replacement already lined up.

I'm not in the for or against camp, but only because I think that whatever we do - stick or twist - we've left it too late and are screwed. Shot ourselves in the foot once again.

When he was asked about signing he said there were only a very few players to choose that suited our style of play, obviously that is going to reduce our chance of signing players even more. Perhaps it is time to change/adapt our style of play until the summer at least.

He said something about May, I didn't quite hear what he said…"It only matters come May" ?

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

When he was asked about signing he said there were only a very few players to choose that suited our style of play, obviously that is going to reduce our chance of signing players even more. Perhaps it is time to change/adapt our style of play until the summer at least.

He said something about May, I didn't quite hear what he said…"It only matters come May" ?

He said the threadbare squad / numbers has been a problem since May

13 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

He actually admitted that?

The blokes an idiot.

Talks about money being the problem....now it's our style of play!!!!!

So you know it's going to be hard to compete financially...so you then make it even harder to attract players, by playing a system most aren't used to or able to adapt to....Great thinking SC...a masterplan :grr: :facepalm:....the bloke is full of his own importance and his own self belief. He's willing to take this club down to spite his face imo.

The message I got from his interview, is we have a threadbare squad, and he is getting the maximum he can from them.

This has resulted in 21 points from 26 games which is worse than Mcinnes and he lost his job. Relegation Form.

I said it before we need decisive action either a manager who can get more from this group of players, or get some more players.

Since May 3rd the club seems to be drifting, and this is going to result in a return to League 1.

One  way or the other. Act Now.

It was a crap game tonight but he's not really wrong about us being "the better team". Once again we had more attempts, possession, corners etc but once again it was a waste of time because we weren't clinical enough. Time (about 2 months ago really) to start shutting up shop and forget all this nonsense about trying to dominate games and attack all the time because we're clearly not good enough to do it.

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He said the threadbare squad / numbers has been a problem since May

The threadbare ideas from the manager has been also!

Tonight marks the occasion when Cotts has lost me. I now think it's much more likely that we'll go down than stay up. He just hasn't the skill set to work with what he's got here or the imagination to secure and then improve what is out there and we can realistically bring here.

I think it's too late to sack him . If by some miracle we stay up, we need a more tacticly adept manager neXT season. 

4 minutes ago, roe said:

It was a crap game tonight but he's not really wrong about us being "the better team". Once again we had more attempts, possession, corners etc but once again it was a waste of time because we weren't clinical enough. Time (about 2 months ago really) to start shutting up shop and forget all this nonsense about trying to dominate games and attack all the time because we're clearly not good enough to do it.

If we'd played like the last 10 minutes in the first 45 we'd have won 3-2. 

(Aunt-had-nuts yeah I know)

6 minutes ago, roe said:

Yes but we are always 'the better team' according to him. So unlucky every week. I think it has gone past that. He is trying the same formation with the same players and expecting things to suddenly turn around.

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yes but we are always 'the better team' according to him. So unlucky every week. I think it has gone past that. He is trying the same formation with the same players and expecting things to suddenly turn around.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I agree. Just wanted to point out that even though it sounds stupid what Cotterill is saying, there is some truth to it. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you do if you aren't getting the results though and even Cotterill must know that deep down.

1 minute ago, roe said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I agree. Just wanted to point out that even though it sounds stupid what Cotterill is saying, there is some truth to it. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you do if you aren't getting the results though and even Cotterill must know that deep down.

We were a bit unlucky not to get a point but hardly deserved to easily the win the game as he made out. Every game he says we should have done this and should have done that. So boring.

The poignant quote for me was "Preston came here for a point" and stated that they'd come here to shut up shop  

I wondered at that moment how many times we should have 'shut up shop' and hung onto 1 or 3 points. Cotterill doesn't seem to have this particular tactic in his locker. 

Can we REALLY have been the better side in every game this season??? Table tells a different story I'm afraid. 

And to say there's "nothing imminent" in the transfer market is ludicrous. There's plenty of players we can go get, he just doesn't want them. He wants the marquee signings. Open your eyes and scour the wider market, why does he insist we are the only club in the land who can't sign a player. It's perfectly possible, you just gotta be prepared to look in the right place. Delusions of grandeur. 

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

i dont think he should go but i do feel for the good of the club,its time to up the wages for some quality that can save the championship status and the rest of the squad will have to understand its in their best interests to support it

Indeed - that is the answer!

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

The poignant quote for me was "Preston came here for a point" and stated that they'd come here for a point. 

I wondered at that moment how many times we should have 'shut up shop' and hung onto 1 or 3 points. Cotterill doesn't seem to have this particular tactic in his locker. 

Indeed. Preston seem to have done that quite a bit this season and are 13 points and 9 places above us, scoring the same number of goals as us but conceding exactly half as many as we have.

A damning set of statistics that highlight his inability to adapt.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

The poignant quote for me was "Preston came here for a point" and stated that they'd come here for a point. 

Can we REALLY have been the better side in every game this season??? Table tells a different story I'm afraid. 

And to say there's "nothing imminent" in the transfer market is ludicrous. There's plenty of players we can go get, he just doesn't want them. He wants the marquee signings. Open your eyes and scour the wider market, why does he insist we are the only club in the land who can't sign a player. It's perfectly possible, you just gotta be prepared to look in the right place. Delusions of grandeur. 

My good old mucker - Preston clearly come for a point - agreed!

Shut up shop ? We don't have the players or system bud to do that (or the defensive qualities of course!) Our squad will always concede goals in this division (maybe due to the formation - maybe?)

Better Side in Every Game? - Clearly not - the league table never lies!

Transfer Market ? - Tough one - imo, Cotts has not had the backing due to the wage policy at the club. In fact, I am not that gutted that Zach Clough has turned us down. The lad has only played 20 championship games, hardly proven (although lots of potential of course!) - We need experience if we are to fight for survival. That experience in this transfer window has to come from Tier 1 and 2 Players. Sniffing around Tier 3 and 4 for bargains will not help us in a fight for Tier 2 survival. A couple of Wade Elliott's around the age of 31 to 34 in all positions may get us over the line. We relied on a few older heads back in 78/79 with Hunter, Royle, etc which gave us our best ever season! 

Archived