IGNORED

Luke Freeman, Korey Smith, Steve Cotterill, and our supporters

NickJ

Freeman - Anonymous. A shadow of the player of last season. I laughed to myself watching him last night thinking of those posters on here that claimed he was being double or even triple marked out of games! He was literally given the freedom of Ashton Gate AND Ashton Park last night by PNE and he still couldn't effect the game. Ok so he's not helped by having the statue of Wilbs in front of him but of great concern is the complete lack of understanding that him and Kodjia have. They literally DO NOT pass the ball to each other! They almost seem to actively avoid each other.

Smith - Good player who did fine again last night. Got quite excited when he was pushing up early in the game thought it might be a new tactic from our illustrious leader! Alas, no. PNE soon found our midfield to be weak and got on top of the game. He's doing all he can to be fair but urgently needs a couple of better players alongside him - which in 1.5 transfer windows have not been forthcoming.

Cotterill - ran out of ideas about 3 months ago unfortunately. We are desperately poor going forward. No invention, no creativity. What do they do in training? Why isn't Kodjia being told to release the ball early and at least look up for options? He speaks French, not martian. Why did Cotterill start at least two players last night who were completely unfit - Little and Wilbs? Persisting with 3-5-2? Why has he only been able to sign ONE player permanently in 2.5 transfer windows? That simply CANNOT solely be the fault of the board - he is targetting players that do not want to come to the football club. He has too much loyalty to last seasons players and is blinkered.

We have been dreadful at set pieces this season attacking and defending. The reason we were booed off at HT last night was because of that ridiculous free kick routine just before the whistle where in a good attacking position the ball was kicked to the corner flag! Who came up with that one? What are they doing in training?

Preston were really not very good, as we've seen many other teams in this league aren't that good. But Cotterill for all the success he brought us last season is, for whatever reason, unable to win games at this level - that is a fact. I don't care what he did at Burnley - that was 8 years ago.

He is a man out of his depth and losing the plot fast. It's got to a point where it doesn't matter who the alternatives may or may not be - it is my belief he is damaging our chances of staying up not helping them.

Our supporters - as you full well know Nick are absolutely no different to any other supporters in the country. Cotterill is presiding over one of our worst runs of form ever, a run that would've usually seen him given the boot in other circumstances. Yet I believe the fans are still nostalgic about last season and particularly this group of players. Everyone desperately wants to see them succeed and so they and the manager have been given every chance by the fans but 4 wins in 28 games would try the patience of a saint. You were quick to defend Cotterill for being 'passionate' in swearing at a fan in the stands and so I'm afraid it's no different for the fans whoa ctually pay money to come and watch.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Our supporters - as you full well know Nick are absolutely no different to any other supporters in the country. Cotterill is presiding over one of our worst runs of form ever, a run that would've usually seen him given the boot in other circumstances. Yet I believe the fans are still nostalgic about last season and particularly this group of players. Everyone desperately wants to see them succeed and so they and the manager have been given every chance by the fans but 4 wins in 28 games would try the patience of a saint. You were quick to defend Cotterill for being 'passionate' in swearing at a fan in the stands and so I'm afraid it's no different for the fans whoa ctually pay money to come and watch.

Simply not true. Supporters do vary regionally and can vary significantly unless you are suggesting that Arsenal and Millwalls support are cut from the same cloth.

An Arsenal fan was impressed by City support at the Lions flag day and stated unfortunately Arsenal fans now celebrate with a latte. We wereccelebratibg nothing beyond being City fans. We are, and can be different if we wish to be.

We make our own choices. You have kept a stream of anti Cotterill support since he was appointed. What has that achieved? It's a waste of your obvious intelligence.

Last night fans were still thinking about how we can have a bit of fun with our support, win, lose or draw. Support does not have to solely dependant on results and who is in charge. It's Bristol City and I/we/ you may not like the next Manager, and the next ... It's far more fun using our time attempting to be positive.

Even the bad times are good .. Willem II.

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Don't know if this is true but it is a story repeated many times to me by my old man. When I am bemoaning the fact that good players won't sign for the club he tells me this story. Several years ago he was discussing this with an ex-pro.

He said that within the game City were known for having fans who turned on the team when it wasn't going well. That the support was basically not as good as up in the traditional football heartland areas. Not sure I believe this is true but he was adamant it is a major reason why players don't look favourably on our club.

Seems like last night's events give this some legs - even if it only applies to a minority of 'supporters'.

this.  some are poison.

3 minutes ago, WTMS said:

Simply not true. Supporters do vary regionally and can vary significantly unless you are suggesting that Arsenal and Millwalls support are cut from the same cloth.

An Arsenal fan was impressed by City support at the Lions flag day and stated unfortunately Arsenal fans now celebrate with a latte. We wereccelebratibg nothing beyond being City fans. We are, and can be different if we wish to be.

We make our own choices. You have kept a stream of anti Cotterill support since he was appointed. What has that achieved? It's a waste of your obvious intelligence.

Last night fans were still thinking about how we can have a bit of fun with our support, win, lose or draw. Support does not have to solely dependant on results and who is in charge. It's Bristol City and I/we/ you may not like the next Manager, and the next ... It's far more fun using our time attempting to be positive.

Yes of course fan bases vary regionally - they also vary significantly within certain clubs. One of my lecturers at University was a Millwall fan, I know an Arsenal 'old boy' who assures me they used to hold their own against Millwall 'back in the day' so only generalisations can be made.

But as a generalisation in regard to the subject of giving managers/players time, which is what I was really talking about, I maintain that we are no different to any other club in the land.

Away from OTIB I have never given anything other than my full 100% vocal backing to the team this season and will continue to do so loud and proud. Some of my most enjoyable times following City up and down the country have been when we've been crap. Tends to bring out the hardcore.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes of course fan bases vary regionally - they also vary significantly within certain clubs. One of my lecturers at University was a Millwall fan, I know an Arsenal 'old boy' who assures me they used to hold their own against Millwall 'back in the day' so only generalisations can be made.

But as a generalisation in regard to the subject of giving managers/players time, which is what I was really talking about, I maintain that we are no different to any other club in the land.

Away from OTIB I have never given anything other than my full 100% vocal backing to the team this season and will continue to do so loud and proud. Some of my most enjoyable times following City up and down the country have been when we've been crap. Tends to bring out the hardcore.

Arsenal now draw support from different socio economic groups ... Some of remember the Herd from trips to Highbury. That club has gone. Even the cannon faces the wrong way..

We are, or a significant proportion are completely different to the above. There are differences right across the land. Northerners are an alien race. Experiences of being Europe's best and now not being so affect others.

Away from OTIB ... You are known. And you can use your intellect to do something else more positive.

Occasionally ideas on forums etc do crossover into vocal backing you mention. It's a choice to be positive e.g lads this is crap lets buy a flag / hire a van and do something/anything v endless negativity = Much of Otib. 

27 minutes ago, WTMS said:

"...no different to any other supporters in the country" as in, any club with 4 wins in 28, will have many unhappy fans, some booing their own team, and some individuals abusing the manager. Even less than a year after a promotion (see Leicester/Nigel Pearson).

Also, Arsenal have more working class fans than Millwall, although the percentage of wc fans at Millwall is much greater, of course.

But I agree 100% with you that too many of us are too downcast when things are shite, and we don't focus enough on being supportive and positive in spite of events on the pitch

4 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Basically the players are frustrated with the manager then and share the fans view points

Only if you take Spudski's views as gospel.

In fact it's nothing more than his jaundiced opinion.

An opinion, incidentally, I and many others completely disagree with.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I've been a stronger supporter of Cotterill than many and I am seldom in favour of changing the manager, but last night really felt like the end is approaching.

When managers are under pressure they become more conservative in their approach. For some this literally means setting the team out to play a defensive game, but for Cotterill it seems to mean becoming more and more entrenched in picking the team and tactics that used to work for him.

When people criticised him for picking the entire first XI to play West Brom on Saturday I didn't join in but I was worried. Now he says we lost because Preston rotated their squad and we "couldn't". Well that's just nonsense. He's got an entire development squad at his disposal. He's got players who were important players last year such as Agard and Wagstaff. He's got Reid and Burns. He's got El Abd back. He's got options but he's too bloody stubborn to use them, then in retrospect he acts as though his hands were tied all along.

I'm not going to call for him to go yet; maybe we'll beat Middlesbrough on Saturday, but I cannot defend him any more.

Did he say that exactly?

Well, he also said he could have rotated the squad against W.Brom but we'd have lost 5-0.

Would getting absolutely thrashed at the Hawthorns have been acceptable?

3 hours ago, Super said:

You do notice this forum is so much busier when we lose, but you can't blame the fans for the main problem in all of this which was the disastrous summer transfer activities or lack of.

Yes it's always busier when we're losing! Agree that the summer wasn't good, SC did try and bring in new faces but as we know for some reason it didn't happen. But I admire him for being mostly loyal to the players who got us up last season. 

In some ways he couldn't win, if he had bought in 4 or 5 and things hadn't gone well on the pitch, then the same people moaning now would have moaned that he should have stuck with the players who got us up. I still say that fourth from bottom is the aim and still think we can do that.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Did he say that exactly?

Well, he also said he could have rotated the squad against W.Brom but we'd have lost 5-0.

Not acceptable Nogbad, but I'd certainly have taken the hit as last night's game was infinitely more important.

That WBA game was the least important game of our season thus far and the same goes for next Tuesday.

We have to stay in the C'ship at all costs.

Spot on Nick, couldn't have put it better.

After the final whistle last night, I was standing there clapping the team's efforts in the Atyeo and some chap came up to me and said ' why are you clapping that shit for!? ' 

If you're reading this, I'll say it again champ! Win, lose or draw I will clap my team off. They're my team and I'll support them through thick and thin!

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Did he say that exactly?

Yes. Of course it would, if it kept the first team squad fresh for Preston.

Excellent post Nicholas.

The result at WBA will have disappointed some sages.

Now the tongues are sharpened, the keyboards fierce, there is a result and flesh to get into.

One Team in Bristol is now red hot.

These people empty pubs.

Used to fight competitively. Wouldn't want it in my corner, " you are crap, he is better than you, lie down, lose and prove me right!"

WBA ... Noize. Fans behind them. That's were it should be.

Cotterill you are clueless idiot, Get orf Pack, Freeman #### ... Bollockss to that.

Life's too short.

Support your local club.

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Last season was the first for many years that the boo boys kept quiet. Now we are back to the norm. Is it any wonder our club doesn't achieve, it was easy for them to support the team/manager last season, but it seems that some fans can only support when we are winning. No wonder players don't want to come here, especially when those already here get constant slating.

Ryan Fredericks didn't want to stay here, and we're pretty sure we've got a good idea why that is, and it's nothing to do with the fans (if the rumours are correct).

Andre Gray didn't want to come here because he wanted to go to the team that would pay him most and give him the best chance of being successful.

Dwight Gayle didn't want to come here because he sees himself as good enough for the PL and a way off needing to join Championship newcomers.

If we make a bid for Nick Blackman any time while Cotts is still here, he won't want to come here because Cotts is asking, I'd say. Same goes for a cheeky bid to get Greg Cunningham back.

I could go on.

But Rickie Lambert won't want to come here, one reason amongst others being the fans, I reckon. Tony Pulis the same.

There are many reasons why the better players won't come here, but in my op, the fans reputation for turning on their own players will be way down the list. How do Millwall sign any players if so?

And we were able to sign Bob Taylor in 1989 when he became available because he was being slaughtered by Leeds fans.

The players have had great support for most of this season, not "constant slating." We can highlight last night's examples of "slating" or we can point to last Saturday's support. But I wouldn't use Saturday to say we have had "constant support" like that.

Sorry, gone on a bit there. Usually nod in agreement with your posts!

This narrative of our fans being any more fickle or less patient than any others really is quite boring. 

Has the Ashton Gate crowd really turned at any point this season? Has the number of fans travelling away dwindled at all?

The forum has became more and more negative and I'd assume, although I don't know for fact, that more and more people have came to decide the manager should be sacked. We've won 4 games from 28, I'd be interested to know of any set of fans of any team that wouldn't be moaning on the Internet with that record. That's without even mentioning the omnishambles that has been our recruitment. 

As I said last week on another thread which claimed our fans were the 'only problem' at the club, I went on Burnley's forum before we played them and the top 3 threads were people wanting Dyche sacked, calling Barton a waste of money and accusing Grey of being a flat track bully who misses too many chances. They were fifth in the league.

Speaking of Burnley, we got absolutely battered and 4-0 probably flattered us. At the end of the game the players got clapped off and a large majority were singing Cotterill's name. What terrible supporters. 

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not acceptable Nogbad, but I'd certainly have taken the hit as last night's game was infinitely more important.

That WBA game was the least important game of our season thus far and the same goes for next Tuesday.

We have to stay in the C'ship at all costs.

I have to disagree with the valuation you put on the F.A. Cup. Fans/clubs can always find a reason to devalue it's importance and we seem to have been doing just that for one reason or another for far too many seasons now. Extra game wise it's little different from progressing in the JPT, and potentially not only far more lucrative but can bring world wide positive publicity to the club.

Money, great publicity, excitement, memories and glory - pretty important to most clubs and fans I'd have thought.

If City had been humiliated and capitulated 5/6-0 - particularly to a Pulis team - fans, players, manager and board alike would have been devastated.

In the relegation zone, and we can't even put up a decent fight in the Cup? 

A crushing defeat could only lower squad confidence for the league battles ahead.

The F.A. Cup does mean something and weakening your team against PL opposition to invite a likely thrashing is nothing less than throwing in the towel and making a mockery of the travelling fans.

1 hour ago, WTMS said:

Arsenal now draw support from different socio economic groups ... Some of remember the Herd from trips to Highbury. That club has gone. Even the cannon faces the wrong way..

We are, or a significant proportion are completely different to the above. There are differences right across the land. Northerners are an alien race. Experiences of being Europe's best and now not being so affect others.

Away from OTIB ... You are known. And you can use your intellect to do something else more positive.

Occasionally ideas on forums etc do crossover into vocal backing you mention. It's a choice to be positive e.g lads this is crap lets buy a flag / hire a van and do something/anything v endless negativity = Much of Otib.

So does every other club in the country? Though I can see why you're picking on Arsenal given their extortionate ticket pricing and everything the Emirates stands for. Then again, Arsenal have always been a wealthy club with a section of wealthy support since the days of the marble halls of Highbury.

My opinions on City's current manager may be negative and my opinions on fan culture positive - they don't have to align.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Only if you take Spudski's views as gospel.

In fact it's nothing more than his jaundiced opinion.

An opinion, incidentally, I and many others completely disagree with.

Ermmmm...I think you'll find fans have made up their own minds thank you...and watched games and seen for themselves...and formed their own opinions.

And unless your are reading this forum through blinkered eyes, you'll find the majority don't share your view, as you only have to read the posts.

Why you can't keep to forum rules and give opinion about football rather than other City fans is beyond me.

Everyone is frustrated at the moment...but the constant bashing of other forum members just because you don't share the same opinion is not on fella.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I have to disagree with the valuation you put on the F.A. Cup. Fans/clubs can always find a reason to devalue it's importance and we seem to have been doing just that for one reason or another for far too many seasons now. Extra game wise it's little different from progressing in the JPT, and potentially not only far more lucrative but can bring world wide positive publicity to the club.

Money, great publicity, excitement, memories and glory - pretty important to most clubs and fans I'd have thought.

If City had been humiliated and capitulated 5/6-0 - particularly to a Pulis team - fans, players, manager and board alike would have been devastated.

In the relegation zone, and we can't even put up a decent fight in the Cup? 

A crushing defeat could only lower squad confidence for the league battles ahead.

The F.A. Cup does mean something and weakening your team against PL opposition to invite a likely thrashing is nothing less than throwing in the towel and making a mockery of the travelling fans.

Yep, usually I would 100% agree with you but this season is different.

1) We are knee deep in a relegation battle in a hugely important season as next season we have 27k seats to fill. The completed stadium opening next season is simply a once in a lifetime opportunity for this club;

2) We have a threadbare squad and so playing a full strength team at WBA was always going to weaken our chances of performing last night and so it proved.

I love the FA Cup, I really do, but this season it would've been entirely understandable if SC had made a few changes in order to give us the best possible chance of winning last night and surviving.

The vast majority of fans this season have been very very understanding in my opinion. I am absolutely convinced that such a poor record would not have had such an easy ride anywhere else. Most people I stand with agree that the players all appear to be doing their best but most are not up to the task . Cotts even has had it bloody easy for a manager in his position simply because of the ucertainty over who is responsible for the recruitment fiasco.

I have been a Cotts supporter since he arrived but whether you like it or not the results are shite the formation doesn't work I suspect players in our budget who could make a difference wont come because we look like a train wreck and the owner won't shell out to effectively bribe quality performers to come in on loan.

Teams with renowned support get pelters for far less than we have had to endure this season so I say to all the superfans its going to get a lot more toxic down the gate unless something is done.

49 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Yes. Of course it would, if it kept the first team squad fresh for Preston.

It really doesn't follow that a completely deflated squad, following a humiliation at West Brom, would have performed any better against PNE.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, usually I would 100% agree with you but this season is different.

1) We are knee deep in a relegation battle in a hugely important season as next season we have 27k seats to fill. The completed stadium opening next season is simply a once in a lifetime opportunity for this club;

2) We have a threadbare squad and so playing a full strength team at WBA was always going to weaken our chances of performing last night and so it proved.

I love the FA Cup, I really do, but this season it would've been entirely understandable if SC had made a few changes in order to give us the best possible chance of winning last night and surviving.

SL has made it very clear how unhappy he has been with our early Cup exits over the years, he's stated many times that it is totally unacceptable.

Should the manager go against the owner by inviting a crushing defeat? Should he leave 5,000+ travelling supporters open to humiliation?

An F.A. Cup run can invigorate a club, and the players. I was at Elland Road in '74 and it remains one of my best memories as a City fan. The buzz around the club and around the City was unbelievable even though City were mired in the lower half of the table.

37,000 at AG against both Leeds and Liverpool, the stuff of dreams for Bristol City fans.

I could never, ever support the club deliberately weakening the team for an F.A. Cup game, whatever the circumstances.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

So does every other club in the country? Though I can see why you're picking on Arsenal given their extortionate ticket pricing and everything the Emirates stands for. Then again, Arsenal have always been a wealthy club with a section of wealthy support since the days of the marble halls of Highbury.

My opinions on City's current manager may be negative and my opinions on fan culture positive - they don't have to align.

So does every club in the Country what?

Arsenal was a simple comparison. Every clubs fan base is not the same. The Arsenal football club some of us visited post Friday night defeat at Southend on the Saturday v Forest has been totally gentrified. It has not happened at BCFC ... Yet.  

Your views on the Manager are very negative. They have been for a significant period. You want the Manager removed. A small part of the fan culture of Bristol City is an attempt at being proactively supportive of the team. That requires sitting down at times with Bristol City ... If the we want him out attitude was present aspects of what exists at Ashton Gate amongst fans would not exist, the FC would not let people in the door, and with good reason as it would be at best uneven.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It really doesn't follow that a completely deflated squad, following a humiliation at West Brom, would have performed any better against PNE.

It doesn't follow that making changes causes a 5-0 defeat.

It doesn't follow that players who didn't play are demoralised by a defeat suffered by other players.

It doesn't follow that a defeat to a premier league side causes critical despondency.

It does follow that 11 players playing at least 80 minutes of a match on Saturday are going to be more tired than those who played less.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

SL has made it very clear how unhappy he has been with our early Cup exits over the years, he's stated many times that it is totally unacceptable.

Should the manager go against the owner by inviting a crushing defeat? Should he leave 5,000+ travelling supporters open to humiliation?

An F.A. Cup run can invigorate a club, and the players. I was at Elland Road in '74 and it remains one of my best memories as a City fan. The buzz around the club and around the City was unbelievable even though City were mired in the lower half of the table.

37,000 at AG against both Leeds and Liverpool, the stuff of dreams for Bristol City fans.

I could never, ever support the club deliberately weakening the team for an F.A. Cup game, whatever the circumstances.

So how did SC get away with playing weakened sides in his two league cup games with us then? And losing them both to lower league opposition? You seem to be insinuating that SL should or has some sort of influence over what side SC should pick? A risky accusation Nogbad and one that I'm 100% sure is not true - SC will pick his team as he sees fit, he is in charge of footballing decisions.

Because of the threadbare squad we'd only have been looking at 3/4 changes for the WBA game and that would not have significantly weakened us or been 'inviting a crushing defeat' for goodness sake. Williams/Agard/Burns/Reid/Wagstaff all COULD have played a part but SC chose not to. Instead, starting his best and most physically fragile players and confining the subs to the usual 7 minute cameos at the end.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Ermmmm...I think you'll find fans have made up their own minds thank you...and watched games and seen for themselves...and formed their own opinions.

And unless your are reading this forum through blinkered eyes, you'll find the majority don't share your view, as you only have to read the posts.

Why you can't keep to forum rules and give opinion about football rather than other City fans is beyond me.

Everyone is frustrated at the moment...but the constant bashing of other forum members just because you don't share the same opinion is not on fella.

You deny your opinion of the manager is jaundiced?

I'm telling you that's exactly how your thoughts have relentlessly come over since day 1, but I'll let other readers make their own minds up as to whether I'm being unfair or not.

Btw, I don't believe for one moment 'the majority share your views', either on here or in the ground.

44 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So how did SC get away with playing weakened sides in his two league cup games with us then? And losing them both to lower league opposition? You seem to be insinuating that SL should or has some sort of influence over what side SC should pick? A risky accusation Nogbad and one that I'm 100% sure is not true - SC will pick his team as he sees fit, he is in charge of footballing decisions.

Because of the threadbare squad we'd only have been looking at 3/4 changes for the WBA game and that would not have significantly weakened us or been 'inviting a crushing defeat' for goodness sake. Williams/Agard/Burns/Reid/Wagstaff all COULD have played a part but SC chose not to. Instead, starting his best and most physically fragile players and confining the subs to the usual 7 minute cameos at the end.

I'm not insinuating that, SC indeed will pick his team as he sees fit.

He will be aware though of the owners' stated dissatisfaction at previous early Cup exits and it's not beyond possibility that this may have entered his thinking.

Apart from prestige there's lots of cash to be made from a successful F.A. Cup run, something that will not be lost on either manager or owner.

I disagree that resting 4/5 important players - let's say, Baker/Flint, Smith, Freeman, and Kodjia - wouldn't have made us significantly weaker and heightened the likelihood of a humiliation.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As I see it, the FA Cup is brilliant for clubs in midtable with a big squad.

We're struggling with 46 league games, never mind adding extra games. Our lads need a break, not extra games to deplete their resources.

The great effort and result at West Brom didn't spill over into last night, sadly

Archived