IGNORED

Thank you Cotts

Fordy62

Now I've heard from an impeccably reliable source that the rumours are true and Cotts has been relieved of his duties. 

I think we should have a thread to say thank you. I don't want it to descend into the petty squabbling that every other thread does. I don't want to hear about the things frustrations that some had towards the end of his reign. I just want it to be about heartfelt thanks. 

When SC was appointed I wasn't sure. I wanted O'driscoll and McIness but they were shit judgements by me and I thought that it might be a blessing that we had appointed someone who I wouldn't necessarily have chosen. And boy did Cotts show me. 

Ive never known a time as a Bristol City supporter where I expected to win every week. But Cotts made us exactly that. He payed brilliant football and we pretty much beat everyone, smashing Swindon And taking us to an Unprecended season of victory. 

Steve will go down as a legend in my book. More silverwear than we can shake a stick at. 

Cotts - thank you. 

Gave us the best season ever and although the results haven't been forthcoming this season the majority of games we have been competitive, not sure if I believe the rumours yet but if true all I have to say is thank you Steve Cotteril for what you have done at my club. 

6 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Lets not jump the gun with a wake before we know we have a corpse.. only one source so far for all these tweets/stories.

Mate, I wouldn't have started the thread if I didn't KNOW it was true. I have a different source to Twitter and it's the one piece of news i didn't want to know. 

Totally agree with the OP, last season was one of my most memorable in over 40 years of supporting the club.

As one of very, very few that wanted him in the first place I'd like to wish him well and think last season's achievements will be remembered for as long as we all here.

As somebody who has been 57 years a slave, SC gave me the best season ever during that time and I thank him from the bottom of my heart.

Especially given some of the lies and urban myths spread by some on this forum from day one.

All the best in the future SC and thanks for the memories.

PS:- The guardian reporting it now and they would never lie would they.

Yes I hope it doesn't turn into a negative thread. It didn't work out the way anyone hoped this year but he gave us a strong 2 years. Thanks for keeping us up in year 1, winning the double in league 1 and getting us where we are now despite the table.

All the best 

I thought he was a really good fit for this club and last season was fantastic. 

Why it's gone so wrong this season is a mystery and we shall probably never know why, but I wish him well and thank him for the most convincing season's performance in my 60+ years following City.

Completely under whelmed when appointed, then surprised me with attacking entertaining winning football. As said before gave us THE best season ever. I think the end was inevitable and the timing is always difficult , but thanks for the memories.

Absolutely fantastic season last year. As has been mentioned, expecting to win every week and being proven right was great. 

SC's side tore up that league and he created a fantastic team, a real bunch of mates that worked for each other and played some great football.

Both at Wembley and on the final day (after we scored 8 and saw the trophy presentation), myself and @ChippenhamRed took a moment to realise just how good and how lucky we were to be supporters and witness what we saw. Great memories. 

I thought it right that Steve  be relieved of his post much as someone knows it's time to put the old family dog out of his misery .He gave his all for the club and our directors are to blame for his burn out and our current position. Don't see any of them offering their resignation !

I thank Steve for restoring pride in our club , for daring to play in the way we did and for one of  the best seasons ever witnessed at the Gate .:clap:

I am truly sad that it has come to this ,our bright new future has stalled .

I hope Steve rests up ,gets his mojo back and returns to entertain the football world with his passion ,honesty and enthusiasm.

As others have said, SC gave me the best season of my 40 years following City. The first time in all those years that  I ever had tears in my eyes was when we held that League trophy up last May. One of the happiest days of my life, never to be forgotten. 

I was sceptical when SC was named manager, but boy did he do a job for us. Just a shame it's had to end so quickly, as I still believe he could have turned it around, but hey ho.

Thousands of miles away and amazed this has happened. Echo Fordy's comments. Unbelievable really that it has got to this after two seasons of unprecedented success. I'm gutted about this.

Unless there is a sub story no one knows about, Cotterill is carrying the can, I hope someone else at the club is feeling suitably ashamed right now.

Embarrassing. Embarrassing. Embarrassing.

Failed transfers.

Sacking our most successful manager in decades.

Clubs horrific communication.

Sacking started as a ******* rumour an hour ago.

Making him do a pre-match press conference earlier.

Keith Dawe hang your head in shame and walk out the door.

Thanks Steve.

I wasn't keen when he was appointed but what a fantastic season he gave us. Good, open football and winning most weeks. Will always remember it fondly. Cotts and Gary Johnson - will always think we'll of the pair of them. Couldn't argue with the decision to move on either time though ( just the timing).

Thanks SC. I feel your stubbournness is what brought about your eventual end. 

However i also feel you are the scapegoat for an amateur, naieve and frankly out of their depth board of directors, including the one Chairman who we have now been given this bad news by. 

Good luck for the future. I have loved the brand you gave us and hope i see one of your teams play this way against us in our shiny new stadium some day. 

Gave me the best season in my 40 odd (mostly very odd) years supporting City.

Thanks for that Steve. Made us all feel like winners.

Don't take a backward glance at the pitiful shower who've released you. Sadly we're stuck with them.

Huge thanks Steve.

Last season was out of this world, playing some of the best football I've ever seen any Bristol City side play in the last 10-15 years IMO. To win the title and our trip out at Wembley will forever remain in my memories and heart. 

I'm truly gutted for you, and the fact that it's just not worked out in the way we were all hoping it would. 

Guest ExiledRobin

What a season last year! Always got the sense that he created a fabulous dressing room togetherness. I still think he would have turned it around. Cheers Steve, all the best.

Thanks for everything Steve, hope you get a job where the board know a little bit about football because they b*****y well dont here , All the best and thanks for last year, in over 55 years going down the gate it ranks in my top 5

Read this for the first time from some gobby Gashead on Facebook, for some reason I was quite surprised despite the clubs situation at the moment. Surely only a handful of clubs have sacked a manager mid-January? We'll never know the full details but the club have obviously messed up a bit here, I assumed they were backing him by giving him the January transfer window.

Anyway, as with many others I'll always have respect for Steve for what he achieved here. From an unimaginable situation where we were heading towards League Two to the Championship and winning two trophies along the way. He settled the club so well and brought in some class players last season. It was the first time for a while I'd stand there with a massive smile on my place because of our style of play, it was a great feeling going to the Gate expecting us to win almost every game. I was working away a lot up in Herefordshire where Bristol City were getting many mentions much to my approval, I felt so proud to be a fan. Always remember rushing back from Hereford for the Swindon home game, so worth it. Wembley was of course great, despite the cup being a bit of a joke to a lot of people I always feel a sense of awe seeing us at these grounds. I always remember watching the first game last season away to Sheff Utd in a Utd fans bar in Spain of all places and thinking 'this'll be a special season' and that following summer - League One champions!

Not much to cheer about this season but one game I did particularly enjoy was WBA the other day, felt like ages since I'd really went for it in a celebration which is what I did to full effect after our second.  

It’s time to focus on the positives of his time and forget all the other stuff. We should move on and support the next manager whoever he may be.

Don't really post on here, but in this situation I feel compelled to. 

Thank you Sir Steve for giving me the best season I can remember last year.

The decision tonight is unbelievably harsh in my opinion - getting sacked having won 46% of your games is madness. I think he deserved more time, although our league positioning may look worrying, performance-wise we've looked a hell of a lot better than that this season. Our young talented team is still learning and adjusting to this step up and are all still very much behind the manager. We don't look like a team in despair, he took over with us in a desperate state in league one and has instilled a new passion within the club. 

Thank you for all you've done, I'm sorry our club hasn't given you the respect you'd earnt,  

As others have said, totally underwhelmed by his appointment but what a season we had last year. Best in 20 years of supporting City. Hope he finds a new club quickly. Thanks Steve. But thanks also to SL  for having the courage to make the decision now rather than allowing continuing loyalty to cloud your judgement 

40 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Making him do a pre-match press conference earlier.

I didn't realise that: appalling - unless there was some sort of bust-up later.

Thanks for 2014/15 Steve - as others have said, the best season I've ever witnessed at City.

Cotterill was magnificent. Keeping us up, shrewd recruitment in short term 13/14 and summer 14 especially, the whole last season and what a season! Further to this, lest we forget when we went down it was very plausible we might have taken years to get out of League One, certainly isn't usually as quick of that. Under O'Driscoll we were going nowhere at all.

I think the club collectively underestimated big time the Championship. But that's for another thread. Thank you. Steve Cotterill, best of luck...sacked far too soon!!

48 minutes ago, Olé said:

Thousands of miles away and amazed this has happened. Echo Fordy's comments. Unbelievable really that it has got to this after two seasons of unprecedented success. I'm gutted about this.

Unless there is a sub story no one knows about, Cotterill is carrying the can, I hope someone else at the club is feeling suitably ashamed right now.

Ask a man to make bricks without straw then sack him! In fact I can't think of another example of a manager being expected to compete in a higher league with a smaller, less-experienced squad than he came up with. I bet the phone is ringing off the hook with decent managers wanting come here ...

Saved us from relegation. Won a cup. Won a league championship. Lots of unanswered questions from pre season regarding transfer activity. Sadly he has lost the plot and had to go. Still the most successful manager in my watching time at the gate. The board have a lot of explaining to do over the coming weeks. Cheers Cotts. 

13 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The best night I've had supporting this club. Thank you again Steve!

https://youtu.be/wsB0tCqfJqs

Wouldn't you have loved to have Tavernier in this squad?

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Probably the most popular manager ever to be sacked.

Yet who would have believed that when he was signed on in a storm of apathy from the fans.

For me only the promotion season to the old First Division and our time up there with the elite ranks as better seasons than last year. Cotts did a fantastic job in turning around the dismal mess SOD left us in and bringing back positivity.

Shame he could not keep it going, but will always respect him for last seasons brilliant success.

26 minutes ago, hay dens party said:

Only god can help us now. Thanks Steve!

Spot on, really have tickets for the next 2 game but don't know if I can be bothered anymore;  complete mess up more heads need to roll; there was nothing wrong with SC HE DIDNT GET THE BACKING HE DESERVED.

Feel like walking away tonight........shower of sh1te

Absolutely Gutted!!

Steve, thanks for everything, saving us from relegation, the trophies, the title, the belief that we would win every week.

You deserved better than this

Best of luck for the future.........Gone but never forgotten!!! 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

As others have said, SC gave me the best season of my 40 years following City. The first time in all those years that  I ever had tears in my eyes was when we held that League trophy up last May. One of the happiest days of my life, never to be forgotten. 

I was sceptical when SC was named manager, but boy did he do a job for us. Just a shame it's had to end so quickly, as I still believe he could have turned it around, but hey ho.

Spot on, Bill.

He WOULD have turned it around with the Boards backing. But it wasn't there.You SPINELESS IDIOTS. You have just got rid of a genuine, committed football person. You ultimately destroyed his dream, I'm amazed he remained composed for as long as he did. Hang your heads, you have FAILED us. Again.

Cannot believe the decision we have just made. Another one to add to a long list of total cock ups this season.

Thank you Cotts for everything, some of the best football I have ever seen down the gate and will remember him for that. Top man Steve, all the best. 

Archived