IGNORED

Player's reaction

daored

Now that it's been confirmed that SC has left. How do you think the player's response will be for Saturday's game?

I don't think anyone can suggest they haven't tried for SC or any alterations of lack of effort. SC is responsible for bringing in a good number of these players, a lot has been said about the team spirit and SC Andi's largely responsible for that. Also a lot of these players haven't played at this level before and may feel a level of gratitude to SC.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don't know about the players, but I know a fair few club employees who are overjoyed. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don't know about the players, but I know a fair few club employees who are overjoyed. 

Tell us more H..

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Clue is in the statement....

“The club’s aspiration is to ultimately become a Premier League club and this decision has been made to achieve our overall strategy for growth and player development.
But very much on the cheap”

There, that's nearer the truth

Player reaction will be the same. I don't think effort has ever been called into question (normally the first thing to be yelled on a bad run) fatigue will be the killer. It is only going to get worse with the current size of the squad.

20 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Tell us more H..

Sorry. Can't say any more as its their jobs, not fair to reveal names. But I know 6 persons employed by the club in some capacity and I know their opinions. 

1 minute ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:
2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Perhaps a couple of players not in the clique may get a run out now instead of the same 11 / 12..

Perhaps a couple of players not in the clique may get a run out now instead of the same 11 / 12..

We don't have too many outside the 'clique'

2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Marlon Pack ultimately cost Cotts his job missing that penalty against Charlton.

FFS, that's unbelievably harsh.  You could point the finger at Kodjia for missing 2 sitters in that game plus Wilbraham for missing another.  You could also look at Little against MK Dons.  Win those 2 games and things look a lot less desperate.

2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Marlon Pack ultimately cost Cotts his job missing that penalty against Charlton.

I'm sorry I don't know how you can say that. There was a lot more not working than a missed penalty. The loss against Charlton was a nail in the coffin sure enough but don't place the blame at Marlon's feet.

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry. Can't say any more as its their jobs, not fair to reveal names. But I know 6 persons employed by the club in some capacity and I know their opinions. 

Opinions are like arseholes, and maybe like SC. But too many yes men have been/remain at this club contributing to the decline. I liked his petulance and that he rubbed some people up the wrong way. Too many at AG are in it for an easy ride because that's what BCFC is famous for; and arguably does best. 

32 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I would say it was more likely a culmination of events over the season, but also the reluctance to change the playing formation and also the use of subs and loanees…

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I don't anyone asked to name them, just what is it about Cotts that made them glad to see him gone?

5 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

I don't anyone asked to name them, just what is it about Cotts that made them glad to see him gone?

I've seen Facebook and Tweets of a few Club Staff tonight and they're all gutted to see him go , they thank him for everything and wish him well . 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

So the bog cleaner, the tea lady and a car park attendant are three, who are the other three?

:whistle:

1 hour ago, Cardy said:

It was a weird moment for sure. 

In a nano second the atmosphere in the ground shifted from positivity to negativity even though we were still leading. Think we all knew what was coming and, inevitably from one of the worst sides I've ever seen at The Gate, it happened. Don't think there is a direct connection but quite a key moment.

2 hours ago, daored said:

Now that it's been confirmed that SC has left. How do you think the player's response will be for Saturday's game?

I don't think anyone can suggest they haven't tried for SC or any alterations of lack of effort. SC is responsible for bringing in a good number of these players, a lot has been said about the team spirit and SC Andi's largely responsible for that. Also a lot of these players haven't played at this level before and may feel a level of gratitude to SC.

Gosh, feelings must be running high tonight.  No-one has yet picked you up on the placing of the apostrophe.  Which player did you have in mind ;)

I think the response will be positive. They now know the new manager will be here soon and we risk a massive clear out come May. It's time to put on your best performance else you risk steering your career in the wrong direction. 

What's different to the SO'D sacking is there seems to be a bit of a media blackout. No players have tweeted, or members of staff that people are aware of. When SO'D went lots of players were tweeting their feelings.

No slight on how they may or may not feel about SC per se, just wonder if it's a club enforced decision.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What's different to the SO'D sacking is there seems to be a bit of a media blackout. No players have tweeted, or members of staff that people are aware of. When SO'D went lots of players were tweeting their feelings.

No slight on how they may or may not feel about SC per se, just wonder if it's a club enforced decision.

Everything these days is tightly controlled at a football club.

Take the piss as much as you like folks. I'm thick skinned. 

Truth is, a lot of people don't like him. Lots of comments in other threads about SL finding him a difficult personality and hard to work with. He's not the only one. 

Hes arrogant, rude, stubborn and obnoxious. He's selfish. A control freak. Difficult to work with. People in high positions in the club are scared of him and afraid to challenge him. In his 2 years here he's given zero thought to the future. He's refused youngsters going on loan as he wants control. He's refused to play players others have brought in because it wasn't his call. He's fallen out with players and banished them from the squad, even though we can't fill a bench. He's refused on a few occasions to fill our bench by giving an academy lad a taste of the first team squad on matchday. Has had no idea the damage this has done to parents perception of the player pathway and thus put youth recruitment back a couple of years. Ask Mr Burns Snr how interested he's been in the u21's or academy. The icing on the cake was his post-match comments at West Brom. When forced into bringing an 18 year old keeper on he claimed "we give the youth a chance at this club", yet he seemingly ignored the fact he refused to fill the bench with a youngster! It'd be funny if it wasn't so cringingly bad an impression of our club to give. 

I'll cut it there. Hope that's the kind of comments some of you were looking for. 

Note that when he was in charge I've never posted anything to this degree as it would've been wrong. Yes I've been critical, but only of the on-field stuff, there is stuff that I rightly feel shouldn't be said whilst he's here. So hopefully some people don't label this as poisonous (as I've seen one poster quote recently). 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Truth is, a lot of people don't like him. Lots of comments in other threads about SL finding him a difficult personality and hard to work with. He's not the only one. 

Hes arrogant, rude, stubborn and obnoxious. He's selfish. A control freak. Difficult to work with. People in high positions in the club are scared of him and afraid to challenge him. In his 2 years here he's given zero thought to the future. He's refused youngsters going on loan as he wants control. He's refused to play players others have brought in because it wasn't his call. He's fallen out with players and banished them from the squad, even though we can't fill a bench. He's refused on a few occasions to fill our bench by giving an academy lad a taste of the first team squad on matchday. Had has no idea the damage this has done to parents perception of the player pathway and thus put youth recruitment back a couple of years. Ask Mr Burns Snr how interested he's been in the u21's or academy. The icing on the cake was his post-match comments at West Brom. When forced into bringing an 18 year old keeper on he claimed "we give the youth a chance at this club", yet he seemingly ignored the fact he refused to fill the bench with a youngster! It'd be funny if it wasn't so cringingly bad an impression of our club to give. 

I'll cut it there. Hope that's the kind of comments some of you were looking for. 

Note that when he was in charge I've never posted anything to this degree as it would've been wrong. Yes I've been critical, but only of the on-field stuff, there is stuff that I rightly feel shouldn't be said whilst he's here. So hopefully some people don't label this as poisonous (as I've seen one poster quote recently). 

Blooming heck. Plenty there. 

If even half of that is true... I have to say, the board should have grown a pair and dealt with it. 

1 minute ago, Red Ferret said:

I agree with Cotterill on this. Why should he feel obliged to play a player he didn't  rate or want?

Dunno. Ask Luis Enrique, Klopp, Poccetino, Guardiola, Koeman, Pellegrini, need I go on.....

11 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

I agree with Cotterill on this. Why should he feel obliged to play a player he didn't  rate or want?

Me too, and as for youth I think Bobby Reid's contributions in the last two league games have vindicated him there too - although I caveat no slur on Reid or his abilities, more so we are not in a position to carry him. However I would go as far to say he should have continued after he came in during Freeman's ban. 

And being a bit of a bastard, music to my ears. I want a manager at odds with the board. They ought have separate agendas - one immediate success and the other the long term.

Finally, why should SC rely upon an academy which frankly isn't producing well enough given he's in a short term job - heck sacked months after delivering the title. Very altruistic expectations of him there. If he had secure tenure maybe he would take a different stance but in this industry it's unreasonable to expect a manager to face the bullet for the long term benefit of a club when no club thinks of a manager as a long term employee. It's compete mismatch and pie in the sky.  Sure we would all want a manager to do that, but to expect it is totally unrealistic and unreasonable. 

Yes he should have had them on the bench, but I can see the shooting message he was sending not doing so and frankly I liked that he would make a stand. He was certainly no yes man and he was saying back me because I can't paper over these cracks with these tools. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Finally, why should SC rely upon an academy which frankly isn't producing well enough given he's in a short term job - heck sacked months after delivering the title. Very altruistic expectations of him there. If he had secure tenure maybe he would take a different stance but in this industry it's unreasonable to expect a manager to face the bullet for the long term benefit of a club when no club thinks of a manager as a long term employee. It's compete mismatch and pie in the sky.  Sure we would all want a manager to do that, but to expect it is totally unrealistic and unreasonable. 

Do agree with this 29a whether this applies to SC or any other manager

2 hours ago, Harry said:

The opinions of the players are the most important and it's clear from their demeanour they respected Cotterill and enjoyed playing for him.

The petty grievances of half a dozen easily replaceable, perhaps even lowly, club employees who nobody would miss if they left the club tomorrow are irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The opinions of the players are the most important and it's clear from their demeanour they respected Cotterill and enjoyed playing for him.

The petty grievances of half a dozen easily replaceable, perhaps even lowly, club employees who nobody would miss if they left the club tomorrow are irrelevant.

I wish I could like this 10x over. Bang on.

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hes arrogant, rude, stubborn and obnoxious. He's selfish. A control freak. Difficult to work with. People in high positions in the club are scared of him and afraid to challenge him. In his 2 years here he's given zero thought to the future. He's refused youngsters going on loan as he wants control. He's refused to play players others have brought in because it wasn't his call. He's fallen out with players and banished them from the squad, even though we can't fill a bench. He's refused on a few occasions to fill our bench by giving an academy lad a taste of the first team squad on matchday. Has had no idea the damage this has done to parents perception of the player pathway and thus put youth recruitment back a couple of years. Ask Mr Burns Snr how interested he's been in the u21's or academy. The icing on the cake was his post-match comments at West Brom. When forced into bringing an 18 year old keeper on he claimed "we give the youth a chance at this club", yet he seemingly ignored the fact he refused to fill the bench with a youngster! It'd be funny if it wasn't so cringingly bad an impression of our club to give. 

Have to say mate very disappointing to see such an unnecessary character assassination. Number of points.

1. If SL found him difficult to work with whose fault is that, the manager with this clubs best ever win ratio, or the owner who has continued the cycle of mediocrity with the occasional successful blip.

2. If people in high positions were scared of him, ******* good, they are responsible for the mess this club constantly finds itself in.

3. His condition of coming here was total control, this was accepted, so if he refused to play players brought in over his head that is the fault of the people that did this not his - they brought in mediocrity not Messi for Christ sake.

4. Refused to fill the bench a few times - really mate, which games?

5. As for Mr Burns Snr - guess what, when I played, if the manager left me out I thought the manager was a *****.

6. As for arrogant, rude, stubborn and a control freak - attributes of quite a few decent managers I would say.

Finally Harry, you don't know Cotterill, you are just repeating (we have to take your word for that) what others have told you. Nobody is liked by everybody. Personally I don't make judgments about a mans character unless I have met him.

I think you will find that culpability for this dogs dinner of a club, and our current league position, does not lie at Cotterill's door.

Still, no doubt our beloved leaders will find us a "nice" manager to lead us to relegation instead of a nasty one, I'm sure that will make us all feel better.

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very little, if any of this is true, by the way.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I have a good mate who's son is in the accadamey, and has been sent out on loan non league. Told me for a fact Cotts not interested all in our younger players coming through. This is evident in clubs statement about youth, what he said about Wes and how we had only 6 on bench at West Brom when he could have took am up and coming player in the squad just for experience with no intention of playing him. Rightly or wrongly I feel this was a big factor in his departure

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Is that the best you can come out with to justify an opinion, 'he should have been sacked 8 months ago'?

Mind boogling.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

So , apart from that , what has SC ever done wrong for Bristol City ? ...

6 hours ago, Harry said:

A control freak. Difficult to work with. 

I've had the good fortune to work with some incredible people (and now millionaires) in business and if I thought being a control freak was a bad thing I'd give up and go home now. Easy to work with people are to be found everywhere in companies doing very little. Cotterill has behaved like a leader and obviously cared intensely about his team. The team hasn't given up on him, as poorly as we've done. I have enough evidence to see a winner and a true manager of people in charge of our team. The events of the last day ask me to believe HE has been the weak link, he has been the blocker to further action, he has been the destructive force within the team. Sorry, worked with enough control freaks to know that isn't their thing, caring too much and being meticulous are. And by the way Sir Alex, Mourinho are all control freaks.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

And before others criticise Harry, he hasnt even begun to tell you what he really should say.

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

Have to say mate very disappointing to see such an unnecessary character assassination. Number of points.

1. If SL found him difficult to work with whose fault is that, the manager with this clubs best ever win ratio, or the owner who has continued the cycle of mediocrity with the occasional successful blip.

2. If people in high positions were scared of him, ******* good, they are responsible for the mess this club constantly finds itself in.

3. His condition of coming here was total control, this was accepted, so if he refused to play players brought in over his head that is the fault of the people that did this not his - they brought in mediocrity not Messi for Christ sake.

4. Refused to fill the bench a few times - really mate, which games?

5. As for Mr Burns Snr - guess what, when I played, if the manager left me out I thought the manager was a *****.

6. As for arrogant, rude, stubborn and a control freak - attributes of quite a few decent managers I would say.

Finally Harry, you don't know Cotterill, you are just repeating (we have to take your word for that) what others have told you. Nobody is liked by everybody. Personally I don't make judgments about a mans character unless I have met him.

I think you will find that culpability for this dogs dinner of a club, and our current league position, does not lie at Cotterill's door.

Still, no doubt our beloved leaders will find us a "nice" manager to lead us to relegation instead of a nasty one, I'm sure that will make us all feel better.

"trully i tell you, this very night before the rooster crows you will deny me thrice"

15 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

"trully i tell you, this very night before the rooster crows you will deny me thrice"

I like your posts and would completely acknowledge that you are very reliably informed and take that as a given. I reluctantly say this as I don't want to seem I'm digging you out or questioning your credibility, because I'm not, but it's hard to take you totally impartially because even I would agree your lad was very poorly managed by him. 

The thing is as I said above I can quite understand why SC was taking the stance he was. It's a huge leap of faith for him to get promoted and then have faith in the younger prospects. I think in Wes' case he was wrong, but being sacked so soon after delivering great success shows just how fragile the job is. In that case him taking the board on and trying to press them into backing a man who had one perm signing post promotion I actually accept and to some extent commend. I can see why some think it wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Robbie_Turner said:

We didn't lose against Charlton !?

Sorry, obviously you are right. It's just one of those games we felt like we lost. A bit like the 'win' my heart tells me we had against Leeds. 

17 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I like your posts and would completely acknowledge that you are very reliably informed and take that as a given. I reluctantly say this as I don't want to seem I'm digging you out or questioning your credibility, because I'm not, but it's hard to take you totally impartially because even I would agree your lad was very poorly managed by him. 

The thing is as I said above I can quite understand why SC was taking the stance he was. It's a huge leap of faith for him to get promoted and then have faith in the younger prospects. I think in Wes' case he was wrong, but being sacked so soon after delivering great success shows just how fragile the job is. In that case him taking the board on and trying to press them into backing a man who had one perm signing post promotion I actually accept and to some extent commend. I can see why some think it wrong though. 

Should parents of contracted players be coming on here spouting their opinions? Not sure they should tbh. The club will know full well who they are and what they are saying, trust me on that, and you do wonder whether a parent is benefitting his boys career by doing that? 

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Should parents of contracted players be coming on here spouting their opinions? Not sure they should tbh. The club will know full well who they are and what they are saying, trust me on that, and you do wonder whether a parent is benefitting his boys career by doing that? 

To be fair I think his comments were rather mild and actually I think he and/or Wes has reason to feel aggrieved. But for me that could cloud opinions is all I'm saying so whilst I don't defend SC on that count the opinion is one end of the spectrum and is taken by me as such - although not as an untruth by any means. 

But I do genuinely hope whoever comes in gives Wes the chance to play his way in to the squad for France and I wish SC had too. 

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Lowly club employees? You'd be surprised who I'm talking about Noggers. Lowly they are not. 

As for the players, perhaps this bunch are professional enough to give their all regardless of their manager? Unlike that spineless lot we had last time in this league. 

Archived