IGNORED

Pemberton and Elliott

GrahamC

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In charge for Saturday.

Be interesting to see if this might see one of the U21s involved now (especially as we are so short of numbers).

Also, wonder whether they'll stick with 3-5-2?

Werent they implementing the same system through all levels? If so then I'd expect 3-5-2 to be used

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In charge for Saturday.

Be interesting to see if this might see one of the U21s involved now (especially as we are so short of numbers).

I don't think there will be many changes. 3-5-2 is used in the U21s remember.

I can only really see a change of Agard, or even Burns, to start in place of Wilbraham happening. 

If there's one shred of good to come from this entire debacle, I hope it's a complete and total banishment of 3-5-2. 

Obviously not going to happen overnight, but it's been painfully obvious that we've been completely overrun in midfield all season, and vulnerable defensively.

How much of this is down to personnel and how much to formation is debatable, but I certainly don't think such a rigid and predictable tactical approach has in any way helped us.

We were never going to do well with 3 at the back, the players simply are not good enough.

Was also mentioned by many on here.

Watford are a prime example. They adapted to a 4-4-2 after promotion from 3-5-2. Their team was excellent in this league, but needed a robust formation to compete in the Premiership. Good for them, as they'd be struggling otherwise!

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In charge for Saturday.

What i dont understand graham was the timing.

notwithsyanding the 10 day gap in between Fa cup, even this week and after Tuesday

why not speak with SC on wednesday, players were off.

why let him take training yesterday and do his pre match.

very clumbsy that for me.

but maybe something happened in between who knows, but yes

good luck to both wade and pembo and of course the players.

8 hours ago, shelts said:

Wish Wade had it on his own as i feel that Pemberton has been part of the management team that have nearly undone all of theirs and the boards hard work of last year!!

Think that is a bit harsh. Coach to a team that romped league 1. Keith Millen got the same sort of stick no doubt and he ain't doing so bad at Palace. He won't have been too involved with the transfer sagas and also it would have been Cotts who picks the formation and tactics likewise with SOD before him.

Our under 21 results aren't setting the world on fire so I just want us to get the new man in pronto.

8 hours ago, Taz said:

I reckon it will be a one time only. Have a hunch the replacement is already lined up.

So do I. They let SC do the press conference for Boro yesterday which leads me to believe that they wanted to keep it relatively normal and hush hush for what was to happen later. I can't imagine for a second that the board met late yesterday evening and decided there and then. This has been going for a couple of days I reckon.

37 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

What i dont understand graham was the timing.

notwithsyanding the 10 day gap in between Fa cup, even this week and after Tuesday

why not speak with SC on wednesday, players were off.

why let him take training yesterday and do his pre match.

very clumbsy that for me.

but maybe something happened in between who knows, but yes

good luck to both wade and pembo and of course the players.

Completely agree.

The timing makes no sense at all, but the way this season has panned out after a shambolic summer perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised.

4 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Think that is a bit harsh. Coach to a team that romped league 1. Keith Millen got the same sort of stick no doubt and he ain't doing so bad at Palace. He won't have been too involved with the transfer sagas and also it would have been Cotts who picks the formation and tactics likewise with SOD before him.

Our under 21 results aren't setting the world on fire so I just want us to get the new man in pronto.

I get what u r saying but surely Pemberton could see that we haven't got the players to play 3-5-2 , he maybe knew that told Cotts but at the end of the day the manager picks the team

4 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Not the same Millen was the manager here when he was sacked, Pemberton and Burt need to go IMO either when the new guy comes in or certainly during the summer, we need a total clear out.

I would be very surprised to see a 3-5-2 formation tomorrow. It hasn't worked for us all season under SC so I can't see Pemberton & Wade trying it.

We are not expected to win tomorrow but in all amongst the chaos it would be nice to nick something. 

I would go something like 4-2-3-1

O'Donnell

Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams

Smith, Pack

Burns, Reid, Freeman

Kodjia

Good luck to Pembo & Wade tomorrow. They will need it.

Assistants are sometimes part of the problem, so usually they get sacked too as the new manager likes to bring in their own staff don't they. Unless Cotterill was at loggerheads with Pemberton, have no evidence of that. Also don't want Wade to be the latest Tinnion, it's far too soon.

But I guess someone needs to be in charge.

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

I would be very surprised to see a 3-5-2 formation tomorrow. It hasn't worked for us all season under SC so I can't see Pemberton & Wade trying it.

Seeing as Pembo was Steve's right hand man & Wade has implemented 3-5-2 with his U21's, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it's how we line up tomorrow!

4 minutes ago, HLR said:

Seeing as Pembo was Steve's right hand man & Wade has implemented 3-5-2 with his U21's, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it's how we line up tomorrow!

And baring in mind that they've had overnight to come up with a new tactic and one (probably shorter) training day to implement it, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 3-5-2, but with a change on Tuesday.

27 minutes ago, HLR said:

I was just thinking that they might see tomorrow as a chance to implement something different. 

The u21s have been using 3-5-2 as its the system the first team play. It might not necessarily be Wade's preference. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings either way.

6 hours ago, Scrumpy said:

Watford are a prime example. They adapted to a 4-4-2 after promotion from 3-5-2. Their team was excellent in this league, but needed a robust formation to compete in the Premiership. 

So what you are saying is that 352 is only good enough to get you promotion from the Championship, but no good for the Premier League.

I will sign up for your optimism and forward thinking. 

After reading Wilbrahams comments, I don't think we'll be changing from 3-5-2 in the short term. I don't think he's alone in his opinion either judging by the fact that SC hadn't lost the dressing room, if they were as fed up with the formation as most of this forum is, then I think we would've noticed it in their body language by now.

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

At the end of the day if Pemberton had any ground breaking ideas surely he would have suggested before?

Look, I was (am) a big Cotterill fan, but I think it is fair to say with him he was very sure of himself and it was "my way or the highway".

As for the U21s playing this formation that is entirely logical, as why would they not replicate the first team?

However I'll bet all of our players will have played in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 at some point in their careers and whilst I know we need to score more, the first thing that we must do now is be harder to score against.

Setting a side up tomorrow to do that should be Pemberton's priority and three at the back is a major reason why we have conceded so many.

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

So what you are saying is that 352 is only good enough to get you promotion from the Championship, but no good for the Premier League.

I will sign up for your optimism and forward thinking. 

Slightly misunderstood, if not tongue in cheek my friend.

Basic principle, just to be clear...

If you're gonna play 3-5-2 then you better have a good enough team. In this league, we don't, in L1, we definitely did!

Archived