IGNORED

Quick Poll on Cotts' Departure

Ian M

Cotts being relieved of his duties....  

335 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

The comments seem quite split on social media so thought we could have a quick poll to see where your gut lies. No debate over who made mistakes in the Summer, through the season or whether the board will get the next appointment right.

Simply do you edge for it being the right decision or the wrong decision.

Too short memories here.  Every manager has tried their best.  Cotterill was good, completely professional, worked his nuts off and dedicated up until the last minute. They were not going through motions.. Its not their fault.  Something about the Lansdown feudal system with managers does simply not work 

It's only the correct decision if we employ a manger with ilk / we need a Nigel Pearson or somebody in that stature to see us to the next level if we can offer what he wants. We need somebody who can get the players in, our club is on the up, stadium fantastic. Regards to Cotts. Great football in league 1, but the transfer market caught up with you / we should have spent wisely when we were already promoted. Whether that was his doing or the board will be apparent on his succeeder.

7 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Right decision, wrong time! Huge pressure on the new manager. Limited time to bring in players. If the board have been considering this, then surely January the 2nd was the day to do it?

Agree 100%, he should have been sacked at least 2-3 weeks ago or left alone and backed until it was too late and we were down.

As I said last night, at the end of the season this sacking will either go down as a masterstroke, or a complete balls up. If a new man is not in charge by next Saturday then it will prove the board are beginning to lose it. They surely most have someone lined up!?

Sacking was the right choice, but wrong timing for me.

I was all up for giving him till end of January, but as each day of this depressingly awful transfer window has passed I have started to think he is not what we need. Targets should have been lined up and ready to come in but yet again we are scratching around and have a painfully thin squad...we saw the best league 1 had to offer last season twice, there certainly were players at that level who could of made the step up to the championship and been hungry to impress at bcfc.

gray, Gayle and clough were never going to sign because much bigger and more established clubs had them on their radar.... 

This season has been an absolute disaster, and the clough debacle and Tuesday's performance turned me against cotts.

Cotterill had lost his ability to motivate the team in my view and begun to publically whinge about the clubs inability to strengthen the squad. That didn't go down well in those in power at City.

the writing was on the wall even before Tuesday's home defeat.

I think SC is a very good Lg1 manager. Like Danny Wilson he managed to put together a great side playing attractive football.  But the CC is a different kettle of fish, and it takes a bit more than he had in his closet to coach a team at this level. I can think of only one recent manager that has successfully done this, and even he came unstuck. For me, we need someone with a proven track record at this level. 

8 hours ago, paulcitymod said:

Too short memories here.  Every manager has tried their best.  Cotterill was good, completely professional, worked his nuts off and dedicated up until the last minute. They were not going through motions.. Its not their fault.  Something about the Lansdown feudal system with managers does simply not work 

I think he has been screwed over its been obvious that he was being left out to dry nothing from owner or boardroom as this was building over the season no doub't another another manager out the door that won't be allowed to give the fans a reason for the inept running from the top.

Wasn't my choice as manager to start with but all the usual sounds when he was appointed so get behind him and support our team the invisible man Dawe waxing lyrical that's who he wanted, now in true City fashion sack the bloke who for all the talk of transfers and wages being available was made to look a **** only last Sunday spending 5 hours with a player who the club clearly had no wage structure to employ.

All this could have been sorted out months ago Cotts wasn't going to change tactics and if his aims were too high why the hell let him

go on this Bolton Wanderers goose chase so if Clough had signed what then would he have kept his job ?  

Something is clearly wrong at this football club.

Poor decision by the board and terrible timing, SC was given zilch and couldn't work miricles. The next man in will be under the same penny pinching regime and will also "fail"

SC hero to zero in under a year, hang your heads board 

5 minutes ago, grove park city said:

I think he has been screwed over its been obvious that he was being left out to dry nothing from owner or boardroom as this was building over the season no doub't another another manager out the door that won't be allowed to give the fans a reason for the inept running from the top.

Wasn't my choice as manager to start with but all the usual sounds when he was appointed so get behind him and support our team the invisible man Dawe waxing lyrical that's who he wanted, now in true City fashion sack the bloke who for all the talk of transfers and wages being available was made to look a **** only last Sunday spending 5 hours with a player who the club clearly had no wage structure to employ.

All this could have been sorted out months ago Cotts wasn't going to change tactics and if his aims were too high why the hell let him

go on this Bolton Wanderers goose chase so if Clough had signed what then would he have kept his job ?  

Something is clearly wrong at this football club.

Just listened to the whole SC interview. It was his decision not to pay the wages. He thought it was a fair deal, and still does. He also says that sticking to that wage structure would probably be to his detriment though…

44 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

I think SC is a very good Lg1 manager. Like Danny Wilson he managed to put together a great side playing attractive football.  But the CC is a different kettle of fish, and it takes a bit more than he had in his closet to coach a team at this level. I can think of only one recent manager that has successfully done this, and even he came unstuck. For me, we need someone with a proven track record at this level. 

Apart from the fact that Cotterill won the title by a mile in his first full season and after 4 complete seasons under Wilson we were still stuck in it.

I think just as we as fans are too quick to lambaste players and managers, we are too quick to idolise them.

SC was ONLY here for 2 years, and yes, led us to a fantastic promotion season. But let's not forget he was given a transfer and wage budget to envy in L1. His impact will probably fade into the memories, much like the other promotion seasons of my lifetime under Ward and Johnson. I respect him and thank him, but BCFC legend? Not for me. That's a personal thing though, I guess.

Back to if he should have been sacked or not....Yes, it is clear there are some very very strange happenings behind the scenes and in the boardroom at BCFC and the transfer debacle has been a major factor in this seasons struggles, but regardless, the players have under performed and that is SC's responsibility. Why are we so far behind Preston and MK Dons? Have they spent big in the market?? And yet we have gone completely backwards, as shown by an embarrassing midweek home defeat. He has shown a tactical naivety and stubbornness that even the most amateur coaches on the terraces could recognise.

His record last season bought him the extra time he probably shouldn't have been given.

15 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

Wrong decision. The key failure this season was recruitment. How much of this was down to SC?

i just watched his pre Boro press conference, it was very interesting that it seems he could of offered Z Clough a much bigger wage than he did. He was well aware of not upsetting the rest of the squad by paying bigger wages to a new signing, he obviously felt it would have a detrimental effect on team moral. He also stated that he was aware we had gone down that exact road only a few years ago, we as fans should take that as a realisation that we were bad on the pitch for other reasons than football.

It seems that he had the very best interests of our club at heart and didn't want new players coming in on big money and upsetting the changing room. He even said it could be to his detriment, it now proves that it was, but I for one applaud the loyalty he showed to his players. 

Finally, whose to say that if all the other players were on more lucrative contracts, the likes of Gayle,Gray and Clough would be playing for us now?

For me, any delay in getting new players in to what is a weakened squad is wrong so sacking him now is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

December would have been a better time so that the new man has the full window to operate in.

Unless the board were already looking at candidates I can't see the reason for getting rid now.

The new manager (always assuming that he's not lined up already) will have to assess the current squad (that will take all of 5 minutes) to see what he identifies what we need and then have less than 7 days after being appointed to get the players we so desperately need.

A bit like taking instructions from a giraffe.

A very tall order indeed.

Archived