IGNORED

History Repeating itself?

KeithWelch'sTash

Is History repeating itself?

In 1997/98 we had a great season in what now is league one; gaining promotion at a canter albeit missing out on the title to Watford if memory serves, but the 2 clubs were so far ahead the chasing pack! As we know Last year we had the greatest season in living memory as we all know

The pre-season before 1998/99 was deemed a bit of a failure – although for different reasons. We did sign players but Julian Watts and Carl Hutchings never really made the grade in the second tier. We don't have to go into this pre season again on here....

We did sign a  big money striker by the name of  Ade Akinbyi who was involved in or scored most of our goals – but would need about 8 chances to find the net sometimes….Sounds a bit like a certain Frenchman who joined this season (who im a fan of by the way)

Unfortunately after a bad start the board acted and sacked a popular manager (who confessed he had ran out of ideas). This year a ‘popular’ manager was sacked who looked like he had ran out of ideas, with the team in a similar league position.....

We know what happened next.....

Does anyone have Benny Lennartsons number???   

13 minutes ago, KeithWelch'sTash said:

In 1997/98 we had a great season in what now is league one; gaining promotion at a canter albeit missing out on the title to Watford if memory serves, but the 2 clubs were so far ahead the chasing pack! As we know Last year we had the greatest season in living memory as we all know

The pre-season before 1998/99 was deemed a bit of a failure – although for different reasons. We did sign players but Julian Watts and Carl Hutchings never really made the grade in the second tier. We don't have to go into this pre season again on here....

We did sign a  big money striker by the name of  Ade Akinbyi who was involved in or scored most of our goals – but would need about 8 chances to find the net sometimes….Sounds a bit like a certain Frenchman who joined this season (who im a fan of by the way)

Unfortunately after a bad start the board acted and sacked a popular manager (who confessed he had ran out of ideas). This year a ‘popular’ manager was sacked who looked like he had ran out of ideas, with the team in a similar league position.....

It was similar in that John Ward had us playing attacking attractive football and when that didn't work didn't know what to do next. We focussed on buying strikers that season although the main problem again was defence (we signed Sean Dyche but he was terrible that year). I think Ward and Cotts are both examples of good lower league managers who didn't have the flexibility or knowledge to adapt to the second tier.

History repeating itself ? How far back do you want to go ? Fred Ford 1967. When Alan Dicks took over from him everyone said WHO. Managers come and go its the fact of football life. Whoever takes over this time will have one hell of a challenge in saving this club from relegation. Historically we have been a backwater for football. Its going to take an exceptionally talented manager to get us up into anywhere near mid table in the championship and that I'm afraid is the best we can hope for and I would be happy with that. Love to be proved wrong but I've seen it all in my time as a city supporter.

21 minutes ago, KeithWelch'sTash said:

I said to a friend last night that were probably looking for some French manager as this seems to be a bit groundhog dayish except replace eastern Europeans for French.

Don't forget the mid October game live on Sky that we all thought was a turning point.

7 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I said to a friend last night that were probably looking for some French manager as this seems to be a bit groundhog dayish except replace eastern Europeans for French.

Don't forget the mid October game live on Sky that we all thought was a turning point.

Bolton at home I believe? Or did that come later 

14 minutes ago, lou-peters-dive said:

History repeating itself ? How far back do you want to go ? Fred Ford 1967. When Alan Dicks took over from him everyone said WHO. Managers come and go its the fact of football life. Whoever takes over this time will have one hell of a challenge in saving this club from relegation. Historically we have been a backwater for football. Its going to take an exceptionally talented manager to get us up into anywhere near mid table in the championship and that I'm afraid is the best we can hope for and I would be happy with that. Love to be proved wrong but I've seen it all in my time as a city supporter.

I think you are missing my point. 

Im saying there are some very worrying similarities to this and season 98/99. 

Just a bit of fun really....I'm sure someone will drag us out if this 

2 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

September game?

The one I am thinking is the 7.45 kick off and fairly lively atmosphere. Mickey Bell scored a great free kick from the left side of the box which was the winner I think. Might be a different game altogther but it was about that era and I think it was televised.

If you are looking at History repeating itself, more recently look at McInnes - sacked within a day of Cotts, but reported some board members wanted him out from late November, but the majority view was to give him time to turn things around. SOD came in and we embarked upon the most depressing time at City since the Pulis era - and of course got relegated anyway!

52 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

The televised game, Ward's last, was 2-1 home win v Bolton. We had been on Sky a month earlier at Sunderland 1-1, Soren Anderson scored, our only other sky game that season was a nil nil at home to QPR.

Sunderland led by Kevin Phillips in his prime had shot after shot only to be matched by Keith Welch who was having one of those worldy games that keepers have once in their career! Then a breakaway wonder goal from soren gave us a point

another similarity: a good early result in the north east! Middlesbrough this year anyone?

starting to get spooky now 

I actually started a post prior to the Nottm F tv game stating the similarities between the two seasons and warning Cotts that he could well lose his job if City beat Forest. There are several similarities. We never seemed to get the rub of the Green that season and there were plenty of matches where we didn't get points wise from the matches what our performances deserved. There were many matches where the opposition would notch two goals from two shots on target the entire match whereas we would obtain just one from about 8 shots on target. The finishing seemed so clinical that I really feared for us when Johnson got us into the Championship again. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised when that season we had the rub of the Green and our opponents seemed wasteful in attack.

It didn't help that Ivan Testimitanu (I think that's how to spell it?)broke his leg just as he'd settled into the side and looked class. There was a point that season when we had 5 full internationals on the bench. Any one at THAT Wolves game will remember how bad it got. Hutchings and Shail giving it 'No, No, after you'. Also, if memory serves, didn't Steve Torpey come back into the side, score a brace and then spend about 15 games keeping Anderson out of the side, without scoring again.

The big difference will be who we sign to replace SC. Benny was meant to be the coach with Ward in the DoF / Manager role. In terms of coaching, Benny brought on a number of youngsters. 

35 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I actually started a post prior to the Nottm F tv game stating the similarities between the two seasons and warning Cotts that he could well lose his job if City beat Forest. There are several similarities. We never seemed to get the rub of the Green that season and there were plenty of matches where we didn't get points wise from the matches what our performances deserved. There were many matches where the opposition would notch two goals from two shots on target the entire match whereas we would obtain just one from about 8 shots on target. The finishing seemed so clinical that I really feared for us when Johnson got us into the Championship again. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised when that season we had the rub of the Green and our opponents seemed wasteful in attack.

A little bit of luck can make a lot of difference.  Both John Ward and Steve Cotterill could have been with us a lot longer if they had been a bit luckier in the Championship.

The similarities for me are also evident.  The mood and belief during John Ward's final few months, Gary Johnson's final few months and the last couple of months under Steve Cotterill has felt very similar.  Each manager in turn has seemed exasperated that the results haven't gone their way despite their best efforts and no lack of effort from their players.

I think the issue is one of tactics and an inability to coach City to counter the opposition effectively.  Cotterill has been particularly hamstrung by a lack of players to select from.  In League 1 we could be a decent team and the opposition don't really matter as enough results will go our way.  In the Championship, every shot, every goal, every point has been contested.  We've been good this season but we haven't been good enough.

Archived