IGNORED

Marlon Pack

bradshaw

7 minutes ago, bradshaw said:

What a performance today from Marlon, I thought he bossed the midfield today. his work rate was fantastic, he won the ball back for us and got the team moving forward.More of the same and peoples opinions will soon change!! My MOM today!

What a pleasant surprise that someone actually writes something nice about Marlon , well done Brad . 

He was excellent today, and is often unfairly singled out for criticism by those who think the ball absolutely must go forward at every moment even if nothing's on. 

Both he and Smith were fantastic today, we looked so much more solid in the middle of the park in that formation (as most have been saying we would for god knows how long...)

He was Man of the Match. How Ayling got it is beyond me. Marlon Pack was - as I think he so often is - composed when he's on the ball.

He looks for the ball, makes himself available and links play well.

Today might well have been his best game for some time, but the stick he gets on here is unnecessary.

33 minutes ago, Antman said:

Pack was OK today, largely because Korey Smith worked his balls off around him

i still think Pack see's himself as a Hoddle type, but he doesn't have the skills.

No you're right. He doesn't. If he did he wouldn't be playing for us, would he?

I like him. Today was his best game and that may well have been due to the change of formation and those around him.

42 minutes ago, bemmyredjeff said:

I have been a regular critic of his but he certainly seemed to revel in what looked like a more attacking role for him today.

Same here Jeff, I've had a few pops at Marlon but tip my hat to the lad today.

Well played Marlon! :clap:

I'm going to go against the grain a bit, I thought first half he was poor,  made poor passes, wasn't very in the game. Second half he improved a lot but for me he isn't the answer in midfield, don't get me wrong I like the guy and will always support because he tries really hard, but I always worry that he is a liability waiting to happen. 

Bacj to today though I thought he was a solid 7/10 for his second half, but no way MOTM, Korey Smith (again) for me.

It's the bits that Pack does that allows Korey to buzz around like he does. For me Korey Smith was MoM today, been brilliant lately , but all 3 centre midfielders were good. The 4 at the back released the wide boys a little, special mention for Wes unlucky not to score earlier, I think Kodjia could play a lone striker role as long as he gets support from MF. There were signs it might work , with WB & JB bombing on and BR getting forward. This formation could have been a plan B if Cott's hadn't been so ridgid, we looked solid (apart from the open goal miss from Kike) and we opened up a very good defence on several occasions, all in all very promising.

Pack in particular stood out for me today - he did at times give the ball away and floated diagonal balls to full backs so not without criticism BUT he did fight for it to get it back and won a number of second balls and gave us a few strong tackles when boro looked like they could be overpowering us.

He looked like a player reborn, wound up and out to 'go hard' - he was a lot more confident when distributing the ball and complemented Smith very well indeed.

Smith as ever, quality - still get worried every time he goes down injured though, not replaceable

I criticise him when he plays badly - he played very well today and won quite a few challenges in the middle.  I think having Reid around to pick up the ball and move it on quickly helps let him concentrate on defensive work which he's better at.  Well done Marlon!

26 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

He was Man of the Match. How Ayling got it is beyond me. Marlon Pack was - as I think he so often is - composed when he's on the ball.

He looks for the ball, makes himself available and links play well.

Today might well have been his best game for some time, but the stick he gets on here is unnecessary.

Going off topic here but got sent this earlier with the caption 'when Ayling gets the ball' - made me larf!

wpid-im-going-on-an-adventure.gif

I honestly think Reid being in front of him and Smith is a big help. I think if freeman is getting back in this team it's for Williams and then him and Bryan will swap. Reid not as good as normal but his quick passing really worked well with Pack and smith some great triangles. 

Archived