IGNORED

Do we do a Preston for WBA replay

redysteadygo1

Cotterill cited Preston rested 6 players for their FA Cup game at Peterbrough, which they lost, prior to playing us on Tuesday.

Having paid my tenner for Tuesday's game I would be quite happy for us to rest players for the sake of possible league points at Leeds on Saturday.

Should we do the same for the WBA replay?

If so what changes would you make and for what reasons?

I think we need to rest smith for obvious reasons, pack, ayling and Flint have also played a lot of minutes this season. 

We're limited in the changes we can actually make, which will become a big problem soon. For instance, who can we replace Flint with? El abd is cup tied, there is no replacement CB for Tuesday bar a (unlikely) signing. 

A fair few players will be feeling it on Tuesday and after it too, if preventing that means bringing in a few fringe and youth players and probably suffering the consequences, so be it. Will be an interesting night either way, and a cheap one too. 

Hope Wade and Pembo will realise this, however if we bring in a new manger before Tuesday he will almost certainly want to play the strongest team he can to get off the mark. 

Well considering the fact we're on the telly and we could have a new manager, I think it's pretty inevitable that we will play a strong team. However, I'd be more than happy to see a bunch of kids out there, given that tickets are only a tenner and KS, AF and JK have all played a lot of games.

Absolutely not. Strongest team possible for me, for a multitude of reasons. 

Beating a premier league team would be great for confidence and momentum. 

It's against Pulis. 

Making a load of changes and then getting tanked 4-0 would be a hammer blow (especially against Pulis).

Making a load of changes would also be disrespectful to a great cup competition (and a competition that we have a terrible recent record in). 

A win on national TV against a premier league team might help to attract potential signings. 

EDIT:

Also, making loads of changes doesn't guarantee anything at Leeds next weekend. 

And any professional player worth his salt should be able to manage two games in a week. 

8 minutes ago, North London Red said:

And any professional player worth his salt should be able to manage two games in a week. 

Apologies, but I think that is a ridiculous statement to make.  It's not about playing two games in a week, it's doing it over and over again over a longer period of time. Sat - Tues, Sat - Tues, repeat.

With all this sports science stuff, why do you think teams rest / rotate players?  To keep them fresh.

of course some players do it / can do it, but some can't.  Some are like finely tuned racing cars.  Some players can play at 95% fit, some need to be bang on 100%.

Also, if we were to win on Tuesday, it would mean a reschedule of MK Dons away game to probably a midweek, and then a further Sat - Tues - Sat etc.  Food for thought?

I'd love us to win on Tuesday and then Peterborough, the romance of the cup and all that.  I can also see the momentum and attractability that might give us.  But I can also see us falling behind fixtures wise, with a minute squad.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Apologies, but I think that is a ridiculous statement to make.  It's not about playing two games in a week, it's doing it over and over again over a longer period of time. Sat - Tues, Sat - Tues, repeat.

With all this sports science stuff, why do you think teams rest / rotate players?  To keep them fresh.

of course some players do it / can do it, but some can't.  Some are like finely tuned racing cars.  Some players can play at 95% fit, some need to be bang on 100%.

Also, if we were to win on Tuesday, it would mean a reschedule of MK Dons away game to probably a midweek, and then a further Sat - Tues - Sat etc.  Food for thought?

I'd love us to win on Tuesday and then Peterborough, the romance of the cup and all that.  I can also see the momentum and attractability that might give us.  But I can also see us falling behind fixtures wise, with a minute squad.

No need to apologise. 

i honestly don't think expecting a professional athlete who is paid £100,000 or more per year to complete 180 minutes of football over 7 days is asking too much. Perhaps expecting peak performance for 80 games over a 40 week season (a literal interpretation of playing Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday from August to May) would be, but that is not the reality. 

I take the point about some players needing to be 100% (whereas others can play with niggles) but for me this does not justify wholesale changes being made against West Brom on the off chance that it somehow makes points at Elland Road next weekend any more likely.  

52 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Peterborough at home for the winner, and possibly getting through to the last 16 of the cup is a big incentive for BCFC, so I think we will play as strong a side as we have available. 

Lansdown simply will not allow us to play a weakened team. He has made it very clear he wants us to progress in the cups. We have a great opportunity to get into round 5. Two games away from Wembley or a potential money spinning tie. Championship clubs have done quite well in the cup, why can't it be us who makes the semis or even the final?

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

ill tell you what that leeds team from the early 70-s must have been some side.

They played in over 60 games a season with a squad of 14/15 players on mud heaps of pitches against the best teams in England and the European cup. No resting players for the league cup,the FA cup ? never a thought given play your best team!!!!

By the way in 19.74 we went to ellend road and and beat the only unbeaten side in the country!!!

Research into resting players in Cups for supposed prudent reasons would be interesting.  I don't like it, myself.

I remember a season a number of moons ago, I believe under Danny Wilson, where form was good and we played a weakened team at Plymouth, lost 3-0, and went on a bad run of results thereafter.  

The occasion, or at least the principle behind it, has always stuck with me.  

Trying to be clever is not always clever.

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

We are very, very unlikely to win the FA Cup, but we have a chance of staying in this division,  so anything that will help in that respect would be welcome. 

If that means resting players and looking at the U21s, so be it.

Good chance of being in the last 16 should we beat WBA though, prize money would be useful towards FFP, even though in the scene of things it's relatively small. Plus, should we beat WBA and then Posh, a high chance of a 'big team' afterwards.

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

Also, a win on Tuesday does not mean a rearrangement of MK Dons away. It's Birmingham at home that would move, isn't it?

Yeah, I was thinking that we'd then go on and beat Peterborough (ha ha one game at a time hey?). In fact, both Birmingham at home and MKD away are very significant games.

Re your response to the other bit, that is fair enough, and the management must decide what playing this mini-sequence of Sat - Tues - Sat means in the context of the rest of the season.  Sat here this morning, I'm not sure what team I'd pick. I'd like us to progress (no easy task), because I think momentum might be the important thing.  Good luck Pembo and Wade.

O'Donnell, (right to left) Little, Flint, Williams, Bryan, U21, Pack, Burns, Reid, Wagstaff, Wilbraham

Bring on Freeman (LW), Agard (RW) and Ayling/U21 when needed, give Kodjia (who looks knackered) and Smith (frankly the League is much more important) a rest, Baker on the bench with a rest too, those 3 are the vital trio to keeping us up.

If Wade thinks Vyner is worth a place on the bench then blood him on Tuesday

Give Wagstaff a good hour run out - we may well need him

If fit put Agard on for Kodjia

Play Wes and Reid at least for 70+ minutes. Wiil Give them more game time.  They are young and eager enough to cope with 3 games in a week.

Maybe one of our young strikers on the bench too

Archived