IGNORED

John Pemberton

Lympsham Red

According to Auntie Beeb, John Pemberton has said that he would take the managerial job on a permanent basis if it was in the best interests of the club and if he was approached. While I'd personally like to see someone like Pearson come in, let's say that it's a choice between Appleton and Pemberton. Who would you have? Pemberton seemed like a really straight-talking guy in his interview; he also was very clear that if a player wasn't doing their job properly, they'd come off, which is a mentality Cotts obviously didn't have. Furthermore, he seemed comfortable in playing a 4-4-2 if necessary, another thing Cotts wouldn't do. Thoughts?

I'd like him to stay in some capacity, he has earned that in my view.  He spoke really well yesterday, and took some tough but necessary decisions, which put the club first and thankfully vindicated by an outstanding result.  His post match comments about how our formation in the 2nd half at Boro meant that we were under massive pressure, so he knew we had to change, indicated a very pragmatic approach.

Is he the man for the job permanently? I think perhaps not, but that really depends on the calibre of candidate the club are talking to.  It's Pearson for me but I think as a club it would be a big shame if he isn't part of the future and that is purely because I think he is a very capable coach.

I like Pembo, but he has no managerial experience, surely we won't appoint him based on one game! (As good as that game is). That would be just as drastic a snap decision as sacking SC.

If we are serious it has to be someone with a record like Pearson. We can't afford the time for an inexperienced manager to learn on the job. We do still have struggles ahead that an experienced guy needs to guide us through. 

13 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

According to Auntie Beeb, John Pemberton has said that he would take the managerial job on a permanent basis if it was in the best interests of the club and if he was approached. While I'd personally like to see someone like Pearson come in, let's say that it's a choice between Appleton and Pemberton. Who would you have? Pemberton seemed like a really straight-talking guy in his interview; he also was very clear that if a player wasn't doing their job properly, they'd come off, which is a mentality Cotts obviously didn't have. Furthermore, he seemed comfortable in playing a 4-4-2 if necessary, another thing Cotts wouldn't do. Thoughts?

I think the new manager needs to come down to personality and how he fits in with the structure the  club want for the long-term.  To my mind, all that's gone wrong this season has been more to do with difficulties adjusting to the division above, strained interpersonal relationships between the management and hte board, and the absence of anyone on the board with a day-to-day executive operational role, which has now been addressed.

I don't think there's a lot wrong with the youth structure or the backroom staff and I don't really want someone to come in and re-mould everything in their ego.  I don't know enough about Appleton to know where he fits in with this (although I think we can find more experienced names more likely to attract players who'd work within the existing structure) but certainly I'd rather we stick with Pemberton in the short-term than rush into an appointment we later regret.  I don't think he's the long-term solution though (I think Elliott may actually be a long-term solution but it's perhaps too much too early in his career to give him the job now). 

There is a lot of logic in not rushing to a managerial appointment. If JP and WE can organise the team and get us clear of the bottom of table, that's our only goal for this season. Yesterday was a very young side that showed a lot of promise, and at least they offer both stability and continuity.

All this talk of chucking money at Pearson comes with absolutely no guarantee, after all, big names like Coppell and Pulis hardly did a lot for us! If things go OK, just sit tight and look again in the summer, there will be more candidates, recruiting players will be easier and prices lower, so why rush? 

6 minutes ago, Chappers said:

There is a lot of logic in not rushing to a managerial appointment. If JP and WE can organise the team and get us clear of the bottom of table, that's our only goal for this season. Yesterday was a very young side that showed a lot of promise, and at least they offer both stability and continuity.

All this talk of chucking money at Pearson comes with absolutely no guarantee, after all, big names like Coppell and Pulis hardly did a lot for us! If things go OK, just sit tight and look again in the summer, there will be more candidates, recruiting players will be easier and prices lower, so why rush? 

I think you're bang on Chappers, and to be fair we really shouldn't be bottom 3 based on performances this season, it's been the formation and the inflexibility of using the full, albeit tiny, squad at our disposal that's got us into this mess. My only concern would be that we're going to find it even harder than it already is to recruit in this window if we only have a temporary management team in charge at this time. Still, there's always the loan window again!

19 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

I think you're bang on Chappers, and to be fair we really shouldn't be bottom 3 based on performances this season, it's been the formation and the inflexibility of using the full, albeit tiny, squad at our disposal that's got us into this mess. My only concern would be that we're going to find it even harder than it already is to recruit in this window if we only have a temporary management team in charge at this time. Still, there's always the loan window again!

Long term, maybe. Right now we just need a few older heads to steady things and fill the gaps. I think recruitment will not be an issue if you go for realistic targets.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the new manager needs to come down to personality and how he fits in with the structure the  club want for the long-term.  To my mind, all that's gone wrong this season has been more to do with difficulties adjusting to the division above, strained interpersonal relationships between the management and hte board, and the absence of anyone on the board with a day-to-day executive operational role, which has now been addressed.

I don't think there's a lot wrong with the youth structure or the backroom staff and I don't really want someone to come in and re-mould everything in their ego.  I don't know enough about Appleton to know where he fits in with this (although I think we can find more experienced names more likely to attract players who'd work within the existing structure) but certainly I'd rather we stick with Pemberton in the short-term than rush into an appointment we later regret.  I don't think he's the long-term solution though (I think Elliott may actually be a long-term solution but it's perhaps too much too early in his career to give him the job now). 

Game, set and match right there.  We need to "do a Swansea", build something from the ground up.  Yesterday's was a young, young team but loads of promise, and kept the rampant league leaders quiet and kept a clean sheet.  We need to build on this opportunity of what is a group of players that has been built up over time. 

Cotterill's biggest fault was not finding a plan B when things started going wrong.  I've said in numerous posts that he needed to be flexible with our system; we stormed league 1 last year because we had the best team and confidence was high.  In this division, we clearly do not have the best team and confidence isn't high (although probably pretty good today).  So we need to be strong and hard to beat first, and then add some gloss on that.  Boring, I know, but we don't want to throw away what we have.  We haven't gone down the journeyman route for our success in league 1; let's bring in someone who can mould what we have and build on it.  Who is that?  That's for wiser football brains than mine to determine.

If I recall rightly, Millen was made permanent manager after changing our formation to (ironically) 3-5-2 against Newcastle and getting a result against the odds. It strikes me that if we do the same with Pemberton then we haven't learned anything about our experience with hasty and inexperienced managerial appointments. 

However, for both Millen and Pemberton, the fact that they both had the balls to change from an established team and formation, to me demonstrates that they have their own views on the club/team and both are reasonably good coaches - not managers.

Whether Pemberton is the man to take over or not obviously not upto us but the "suits" at City. That said Pemberton might see himself as an assistant manager than a number one - a bit like Millen

The other point is that City have appointed from within before and it hasn't  work out so well so may well to go for a complete outsider. Someone who has the capability to fulfil City's ambition of reaching the PL. That someone would preferably have had PL experience or as a minimum Champioship experience,

in a perfect world I'd like to see a high profile manager take over - someone like Moyes. That would show us fans that the board are committed to the PL dream. So far that dream has bordered on a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

in a perfect world I'd like to see a high profile manager take over - someone like Moyes. That would show us fans that the board are committed to the PL dream. So far that dream has bordered on a pipe dream.

Yeah, a crack pipe dream :blink:

Looking at the team yesterday with Burns and Reid starting and even the bench. Just how much of the decisions was Pembo's or Wade Elliott's ? 

Wade has been working with the U21's as soon as he's joint in charge we get another player coming into the scene. 

I always remember a game last season when we was crap and Wade Elliott was brought on and changed the mindset in the players. We all know that they respected him on the pitch was yesterday's performance down to him lifting the players again. 

Wade Elliot is an impressive bloke. He's bright, articulate and very knowledgable particularly about football. I'm sure he'll become a manager at some stage.

He'll gain significant experience from being jointly in charge with JP and who knows? maybe he's in the frame for the top job.

Elliot himself might think he's not ready yet to take on a managerial job but all managers start somewhere.....

2 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

Would be Pemberton all day long-if that were our only options!...thought he came across extremely well,impressive even.feel we now need a manager with contacts and proven in this division.if we were league one I'd be happy to see him given the chance,but its not.sure hope he stays at the club re;any reshuffle with the new manager.

t strikes me that if we do the same with Pemberton then we haven't learned anything about our experience with hasty and inexperienced managerial appointments. 

Well apart from Joe Jordan who got promotion and Keith Millen, who did a great job keeping us up.......   That leaves Roy Hodgson?

Forgot Tinnion! Not a great success 

4 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

I heard it differently. I thought he said he'd like to stay on in his current role (not managing the FT). I thought he meant that he might have to leave his job if new people come in. 

Archived