IGNORED

Is it coincidence?

Londoner

That the moment that Cotterill goes suddenly we seem to be making progress on transfers? The likes of Wiggins, Dack and Lafferty there seems to be clear evidence that we are making some progress on these deals....something that seemed completely oblivious when Cotts was in charge both in the summer and now.

im starting to think that perhaps Cotts was to blame for the summer rather than the board, I was one of the many who blamed the board for summer but starting to think that perhaps Cotts got things very very wrong both in the summer and now....could be very wrong though!

Perhaps Cotts displayed why he isn't a top championship manager, or why he is viewed negatively by some of the footballing world.

either way we seem to making progress off the field and a good result Saturday.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

That the moment that Cotterill goes suddenly we seem to be making progress on transfers? The likes of Wiggins, Dack and Lafferty there seems to be clear evidence that we are making some progress on these deals....something that seemed completely oblivious when Cotts was in charge both in the summer and now.

im starting to think that perhaps Cotts was to blame for the summer rather than the board, I was one of the many who blamed the board for summer but starting to think that perhaps Cotts got things very very wrong both in the summer and now....could be very wrong though!

Perhaps Cotts displayed why he isn't a top championship manager, or why he is viewed negatively by some of the footballing world.

I don't know but as far as I'm aware listening to his interview about Clough, it was his decision not to pay the wages…so who knows what happened!

1 minute ago, rockinrobin said:

To be fair, Cotts did say right at the start of January that most of our business will be done at the back end of the transfer window. I think it is mostly coincidental that there appears to be more going on now.

still onwards  and upwards 

He said that in the summer too!

48 minutes ago, Londoner said:

City's interest in Dack preceded Cotterill's departure and we now know 2 players were lined up to sign for City late last week.

That these 2 players then changed their minds on hearing of SC's dismissal indicates they were happy to sign for BCFC under his management, and not prepared to after he'd gone.

Looking at it that way Cotterill wasn't the problem, indeed for some he was clearly a big part of the appeal when it came to players contemplating signing for City.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

City's interest in Dack preceded Cotterill's departure and we now know 2 players were lined up to sign for City late last week.

That these 2 players then changed their minds on hearing of SC's dismissal indicates they were happy to sign for BCFC under his management, and not prepared to after he'd gone.

Looking at it that way Cotterill wasn't the problem, indeed for some he was clearly a big part of the appeal when it came to players contemplating signing for City.

Do we know for definite that 2 players changed their minds about signing following Cotts' dismissal? Apologies if I've missed this on here. Who were they?

Don't get me wrong TM I love the 'my opinion' bits, in fact I called for it in the summer, however I now find myself getting extremely frustrated trying to work out if it is 'my opinion' (but that I have been told by my pretty reliable sources) or 'my opinion' (as in just my opinion)! You could make it clearer for us poor, desperate fools. Maybe a new code? 'my opinion' for the former, and 'my personal opinion' for the latter? :-) 

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

But it could just be that they didn't want to sign for a club without a manager…it would unsettle some people surely?

Quite clear that it would have been Cotts who has been the issue in not signing players as his personality was that he ran the show and wanted the 'manager' title for good reason.  SL is on record as saying wages were not an issue with the two big names that fell through. Cotts on the other hand is on the record that, words to the effect, in his last press conference that he didn't want to break the wage structure within the squad and spoil the close knit and hard work ethic attitude.

I suspect he was told that if he wasn't going to sign realistic targets that the new stucture headed by Mark Ashton would help him along with the process to put it politely.  Cotts would have objected hence parting of the ways. Pure speculation but it adds up.

I don't blame Cotts for that but he should have had a plan B and gone for players who would not have caused that wages issue -  promising talent below the Championship and overseas.   Not all will come off but a decent % would do and have done .... Albert, Bollasie, Kodjia and some of the players in the current team signed from lower leagues have proven to be at least Championship quality. 

13 hours ago, Londoner said:

The progress you speak of have brought in not a single player.  Too early to make any fair judgement.

6 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Don't get me wrong TM I love the 'my opinion' bits, in fact I called for it in the summer, however I now find myself getting extremely frustrated trying to work out if it is 'my opinion' (but that I have been told by my pretty reliable sources) or 'my opinion' (as in just my opinion)! You could make it clearer for us poor, desperate fools. Maybe a new code? 'my opinion' for the former, and 'my personal opinion' for the latter? :-) 

In TM's absence, I can will confirm for him 'my opinion' - without any shadow of doubt. He's got a hell of a strike rate

25 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Quite clear that it would have been Cotts who has been the issue in not signing players as his personality was that he ran the show and wanted the 'manager' title for good reason.  SL is on record as saying wages were not an issue with the two big names that fell through. Cotts on the other hand is on the record that, words to the effect, in his last press conference that he didn't want to break the wage structure within the squad and spoil the close knit and hard work ethic attitude.

I suspect he was told that if he wasn't going to sign realistic targets that the new stucture headed by Mark Ashton would help him along with the process to put it politely.  Cotts would have objected hence parting of the ways. Pure speculation but it adds up.

I don't blame Cotts for that but he should have had a plan B and gone for players who would not have caused that wages issue -  promising talent below the Championship and overseas.   Not all will come off but a decent % would do and have done .... Albert, Bollasie, Kodjia and some of the players in the current team signed from lower leagues have proven to be at least Championship quality. 

As others have said; we will never find out the full truth, but I think you are right.

SL had made the point on several occasions that he had not refused any of the deals put in front of him. I think Cotts was not keen on any confrontation with existing players over wages, wanting to keep a lid on the supposed "cap". This is, perhaps, a case of the manager being too close to his players. 

From the day of his arrival, SC repeated a number of times that he would not succumb to the demands of agents, and that he treated the owner's money as his own. This almost became obsessive.

The last press conference where once again Cotts made the point "no irons in the fire" was possibly the last straw.

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nice try Nogbad, however I would suggest that it's completely normal for deals to be stalled when a manager departs...let's see if those deals are resurrected - looks like Pearce may be back on.

19 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The progress you speak of have brought in not a single player.  Too early to make any fair judgement.

I was thinking this, all that may have really changed is that we are not playing our cards so close to our chest as we did under Cotts.

City put in a bid in the summer for DACK which was turned down by Paul Scully. Kyle Lafferty's position has altered with new faces coming into his club and him wanting and needing game time to get to the Euro's. A lot of players availability can be down to movement in the market or lack of movement.  SOD was after El Abd but he wanted to stay at Brighton to fight for a place. We ended up with Dunk on loan, The following season when Cotts wanted a defender mr Burt went in and got El Abd who by then had changed his mind because he was'nt getting games. It's always the case where clubs may be willing to let a player go, but not until they have a replacement in. 

"In My Opinion", no, totally not coincidental.
The events of this week tell you all you need to know.
Don't believe for one moment that Mr Ashton was only appointed last Saturday.  He's been on board for a few weeks and been making waves in the recruitment area.  There was only one blocker.

Archived